over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Belts

FK86

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
What are everyone's thoughts on lifting belts? Do you feel they are a necessity for safety purposes on certain exercises, or do you feel they limit development of the lower back and core? I have worn one for squats, deadlifts, and barbell/t-bar rows the entire time I've been lifting. I'm wondering if I should abandon the belt and scale back the weights then work my way back up so I'm lifting what I do now but beltless.

I don't follow him anymore, but Jordan Peters never wears a belt and always puts a condescending, passive aggressive caption in his posts for people that do. I have to admit, seeing what he pulls without one is pretty crazy. I've also seen Ben Pollack post videos where he doesn't wear one.

Where do you guys stand on this?

I wore a belt for a few years but I haven't since 2018, maybe earlier. I'd have moments where I'd sneeze or be getting up off the bed and tweak my lower back. I quit wearing a belt with the idea it'd strengthen my lower back and haven't looked back.

A belt is to give your core something to brace and push against so you don't herniate yourself under heavy loads. It does change the leverages and dynamics of your lift especially a thicker belt. I personally wear a belt and have for a long time. I also train core outside of the big lifts.

You will lift heavier and more safely with a belt. It doesn't directly protect you from back injuries (that's just not how it works). Potential benefits are additional stimulus and less injuries. I have never felt a belt left my core weak but if you decide to wear a belt for the benefits I'd also find it odd for you to not put some effort into core work at least some of the time and leave yourself weak.

I only wear a belt when I’m squatting/ rack pulling over 90%.

After Dexter Jackson improved his abdomen, I heard him state that he was wear a belt among other things.

Interested to hear what others think about wearing belt to minimize waist thickening.

I wore a belt for a few years but I haven't since 2018, maybe earlier. I'd have moments where I'd sneeze or be getting up off the bed and tweak my lower back. I quit wearing a belt with the idea it'd strengthen my lower back and haven't looked back.

This is in line with my thoughts. I've also had similar experiences with tweaks from non-gym related activity. I don't compete and I'm not at all concerned about using a belt to keep my waist down. To me that has more to do with food intake and body fat.

A belt is to give your core something to brace and push against so you don't herniate yourself under heavy loads. It does change the leverages and dynamics of your lift especially a thicker belt. I personally wear a belt and have for a long time. I also train core outside of the big lifts.

You will lift heavier and more safely with a belt. It doesn't directly protect you from back injuries (that's just not how it works). Potential benefits are additional stimulus and less injuries. I have never felt a belt left my core weak but if you decide to wear a belt for the benefits I'd also find it odd for you to not put some effort into core work at least some of the time and leave yourself weak.

I train my abdominals four days a week. Sets of 8 for leg/knee raise movements, sets of 10 for crunching movements. My abs have gotten stronger and thicker since doing this as it's only something I committed to since September of last year. This is more about having a very strong lower back that I don't want inhibited by wearing a belt. If the belt allows for heavier loads to be used, it is something of a crutch and I'd rather have to use less weight initially and work back up. In my opinion I'd be lifting weights I can actually handle.

I wore a belt for over ten years for all my heavy lifts. Once i quit putting the tourniquet around my waist where the muscles could not move normally, i found i had fewer back pains. And my lifts were back up to the same level within a short time.

I used to wear belts all the time. It ended up causing core issues (mainly back) and my RMT recommend I try lifting without it. Did my last prep (16 weeks) without a belt and my back is stronger than ever. Still have yet to wear a belt. I did give up deadlifts for rack pulls but I am looking to incorporate deadlifts back in and will be wearing a belt on my top sets when I do.

I'm not really sure how much wearing a belt helps in the sense of reducing waist thickness but considering I'll be making my MP pro debut this year, I don't want to take any chances.

Never wore a belt, never wore any gear actually, I never wanted an unnatural anything and if something was too heavy and would cause injury then that meant I was using too much weight.

That being said since my umbilical hernia popped up (pun intended), I’ve been wearing a wrap and it does feel pretty good to have everything nice and tight for back and leg movements….

But it’s not a traditional belt it’s a light wrap, my opinion was always that if you need gear to lift something then you are lifting heavier than you should.

Is it just me or belts seem more like a 90s fad that slowly are going away? I remember back in the day they were so common but not seen as often anymore. Fanny Packs, anyone?

I use a belt (cardillo) off and on as I feel it helps keep my abdomen tight on certain movements. I have a hernia (ventral) and alot of scar tissue down there from multiple incisions. I do not use a belt all the time though, some days are better than others. I'll train my abdominal a few times a week for stability and that really helps alleviate the need for a belt imo. I believe a belt has its place... but i also believe some ppl use a belt unnecessarily far too much.

Never wore a belt, never wore any gear actually, I never wanted an unnatural anything and if something was too heavy and would cause injury then that meant I was using too much weight.

That being said since my umbilical hernia popped up (pun intended), I’ve been wearing a wrap and it does feel pretty good to have everything nice and tight for back and leg movements….

But it’s not a traditional belt it’s a light wrap, my opinion was always that if you need gear to lift something then you are lifting heavier than you should.
Kind of weird not to want an “unnatural” anything while injecting unnatural gear and trying to gain unnatural levels of muscle….no?

Never wore any belts, sleeves or wraps up until very recently. I now use a belt for deadlifts only. As for legs I now have to use knee compression sleeves. If not I can’t perform them anymore cause the pain gets in the way. Just recently I had to add in an elbow compression sleeve for my left elbow. Getting older sucks!

Cage

I do powerlifting, so I have a bit different perspective on this.

I do NOT wear a lifting belt at all in the off season. I only use one when gearing up for a contest. I noticed a bunch of Russian dudes doing that and then Dan Greene told me he does the same thing.

My goal in the off season is to get stronger and build more muscle. The belt is just a leverage tool to create more pressure. I don’t believe a belt will help you prevent injury, but it may cause it.

But I use a 13mm lever belt when it’s contest season.

I do powerlifting, so I have a bit different perspective on this.

I do NOT wear a lifting belt at all in the off season. I only use one when gearing up for a contest. I noticed a bunch of Russian dudes doing that and then Dan Greene told me he does the same thing.

My goal in the off season is to get stronger and build more muscle. The belt is just a leverage tool to create more pressure. I don’t believe a belt will help you prevent injury, but it may cause it.

But I use a 13mm lever belt when it’s contest season.
I like a 13mm belt as well. Not a fan of the lever though, I prefer a single prong

I like a 13mm belt as well. Not a fan of the lever though, I prefer a single prong

Another member of 13mm club. Love the lever though. Only issue is adjustment and I'm about to break out the screw driver in the coming weeks as I'm cutting weight. Buddy used to bring multiple to his meets so as not to adjust with his gear between lifts.

I want to say I've been using the same Inzer lever belt since maybe 2004 or 5. Long before they were called "forever belts". One of the things I love about this sport is that there's not much to buy but when you buy right it all lasts.

Another member of 13mm club. Love the lever though. Only issue is adjustment and I'm about to break out the screw driver in the coming weeks as I'm cutting weight. Buddy used to bring multiple to his meets so as not to adjust with his gear between lifts.

I want to say I've been using the same Inzer lever belt since maybe 2004 or 5. Long before they were called "forever belts". One of the things I love about this sport is that there's not much to buy but when you buy right it all lasts.
Yep. The constant adjustments just aren’t worth it to me when the single prong gets the job done and I can adjust at will. And I’ve had the same single prong Inzer forever belt since I was 22. So it’s 16 years old now.

I love the lever type. Just quick an easy! Although I have the old traditional belt style one too. But after trying the lever one; it became my go to….

Cage

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bttywllsns01
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner