over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Bench Press Help

zipzster00

Newbies
I always wondered why my chest didnt get sore and why I was feeling it in my shoulder and tricep so much when I benched. So the other day I read that if your shoulders come above your pecs while benching, youll workout the shoulders and triceps and not so much the chest. So I do this, and I dont know how to fix it. How do I keep my shoulders down? I tried arching my back a little, but it doesnt seem to help, any suggestions? I'm talking about flat bench btw

this is from a powerlifter's standpoint so bare with me

try arching your back and brining your legs underneath you more for more leg drive and pinch your shoulder blades together. when you bring the bar down you'll wanna tuck your elbows in and just concentrate on bringing the bar more to your lower pec line. this should help, i dunno though cause it's hard without actually seeing what you're doing.

I actually bring the bar down a little lower, like right at the top of the abdomen. everyone is going to be different in regards to body structure and what they feel comfortable with so if i were you i'd just experiment with it and see what works best.

Hope this helps.

Proper Bench Press Technique & Variations

The bench press has been considered one of the “core” weight lifting exercises for many years. The reason for this is simple: this exercise is extremely effective in strengthening the prime movers of the upper extremity. Examples of this can be found in:

Football: tackling, blocking, and passing;,

Swimming: crawl and breaststroke,

Track & Field: pole vault, shot put, and discus,

Baseball: throwing and hitting,

Boxing: punching,

Basketball: shooting, boxing out, and rebounding.

The muscles strengthened are the triceps, anterior and middle deltoids, pectoralis major and minor, and wrist flexors (grip). Also, the rotator cuff and biceps work as shoulder stabilizers and are slightly strengthened with the bench press.

Preparation For The Lift

Prior to the lift, the lifter should be certain that the weight is balanced on the bar and that collars are securing the plates. Improper balance can result in an awkward and uncomfortable left attempt that may result in injury.

The lifter should position themselves so that the bar is located above the eyes. The back and buttocks should be firmly placed on the bench pad. The feet should be placed flat on the floor.

The grip should be centered on the bar. Most athletes will feel comfortable with the arms slightly wider than the shoulders. Longer armed athletes however, may prefer a wider grip while shorter armed athletes will find a slightly narrower grip more comfortable.

A spotter should be present to assist the lifter. The function of the spotter is to help the lifter when assistance is necessary. The spotter should do very little work during the lift. If the lifter requires assistance, the spotter should lift with two or three fingers from the center of the bar, applying only enough force to help the athlete past the trouble area.

Proper breathing is another important aspect of the lift. The athlete should inhale as the bar is lowered to the chest. The breath is then exhaled as the bar is pressed off of the chest.

The Down Phase

The down phase begins as the lifter lowers the bar to the chest. The pectoralis major and minor, deltoids, and triceps contract eccentrically (lengthening contraction) to lower the bar at a controlled pace. The weight continues down until it gently touches the chest just below nipple level.

If the bar is lowered too quickly control is lost resulting in the bar bouncing off of the chest. This is improper for numerous reasons.

Striking the chest with too great a force can result in fractures to the sternum or ribs. The bounce off of the rib cage generates upward momentum, resulting in less force generation by the muscles. This will result in less strength gains by the prime movers of the chest. Ultimately this results in poor strength throughout the full range of motion.

The Pressing Phase

The pressing phase begins as the weight is pushed toward the starting position. The lifter exhales as the muscles contract to control the ascent of the weight. The pressing phase concludes with the arms fully extended and the elbows locked. The muscles can only develop optimally if they exert controlled force through the entire range of motion.

Common errors during the press phase include: arching the back and lifting the feet from the floor. Arching the back is a cheating movement that is the result of a lifter attempting too heavy of a weight. The back arch allows the lifter to cheat by utilizing the force generated by the buttocks and hips to assist the chest in the lift.

The back arch places the bones and intervertibral disks at risk of injury. The back was not designed to arch in this exaggerated manner. When the lifter arches his/her back to compensate for a lack of strength, the intervertibral joints can sustain injury due to the combination of compressive and expansion forces simultaneously affecting the joints and disks.

To correct this problem, stress proper technique. Also, the weight should be decreased to a level that is more appropriate to the strength of the lifter. This can be a problem with the competitive ego-driven male. Simply reinforce the notion that proper technique leads to proper strength gain in the target muscles.

An alternative method for correcting this flaw is to have the lifter place his/her heels on the end of the bench. This method has inherent limitations and risks. First, the bench may not be long enough for taller lifters to perform this technique safely. Secondly, moving the feet from the floor to the bench results in a less stable support for the lifter. Feet on the floor will stabilize the lifter so that if there is a struggle he/she will not feel as if they are falling off of the bench. This should only be attempted with low weight to reinforce not arching the back.

Variations:

Reverse-Grip: Accentuates the outer pectorals, medial triceps, and serratus anterior.

Close-Grip: Accentuates the inner pectorals and places a tremendous load on the triceps.

Pause-lockout: This uses a pause at chest level to cause maximum muscle recruitment for maximal strength gains.

Dumb-Bells: Using dumb-bells adds variety to the lifting routine and can result in strength gains in the accessory muscles of the shoulder.

Incline Bench Press: To strengthen the upper pectorals and anterior deltoids.

Decline Bench Press: To work the lower pectorals

keep your back flat, try to keep your feet flat on the floor and experiment with your grip. depending on your build, you may need to bring it in closer, or out wider just depending on arm and shoulder length. try to bring the bar down to your nipples or just below them. I would say your problem is your grip more than anything. Experiment with it first and see if that fixes it.
Happy benching!

if you dont feel it in your hamstrings you are doing it wrong ... its a full body motion, not just an arm and chest press. pause for 2 seconds on the chest, and throw it off you like its holding you down.

if you dont feel it in your hamstrings you are doing it wrong ... its a full body motion, not just an arm and chest press. pause for 2 seconds on the chest, and throw it off you like its holding you down.

i agree completely here. to me this is the only way to bench!

I always wondered why my chest didnt get sore and why I was feeling it in my shoulder and tricep so much when I benched. So the other day I read that if your shoulders come above your pecs while benching, youll workout the shoulders and triceps and not so much the chest. So I do this, and I dont know how to fix it. How do I keep my shoulders down? I tried arching my back a little, but it doesnt seem to help, any suggestions? I'm talking about flat bench btw

Try reps with very little or no weight and concentrate on your chest as you do the movement. This could also double as a warm-up.

Also try slowing down your pace. You might be throwing the weight a little too much and not engaging the pecs.

You can think of the pecs as fans that spread out and close, being responsible for bringing your arms in and out to the sides(flys) and the front(presses). Flys work on a pull while the bench is more of a push movement. However the bench is more of a compound exercise than the flys like some guys are saying. Not compound like a clean and snatch but compound none the less.

So on your bench at the bottom of the "J" movement, the bar should be right below your rib cage, and your chest should be almost fully stretched out. If not, then your grip is too close.

Listen to Ironfreak and tatx. Get your feet under you. Forget flat on the floor and arching your back a little is unavoidable. The heaviest weight will almost touch your belly but somewhere between your chest and abs. Unless you have someone judging your lift, stop the weight, do not pause, and then throw it off you.

What it sounds like to me is that you are using your triceps to push the weight like everyone else on the planet. You need to condition your brain to think about what you're using. So use a light weight that you can do for 20 reps or so and keep your hands open the whole way up and the whole way down. No grip will take your triceps out of the equation a good bit.

When your brain starts learning what to use, when you fully grip the bar and add some tricep your lifts will take off a good bit in my opinion. Heavy partials are always good too but start off with the basics and bring your shoulder blades together, get your feet under you, throw the weight with as much energy as you can.

Last edited:

I have the same problem, what I do is pre exhaust the chest with a isolation exercise before I bench.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Stromba926
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131