mega-banner2
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Can you guys please critique my new routine?

Jake LaMotta

Registered
I started this routine last week. I was wondering if you guys could critique it for me. I'm 30 years old, 6' 270 lbs with some body fat. There's some exercises I can't do because of old injuries and surgeries (such as deadlifts, squats, anything bent over, flys, pec deck, and overhead shoulder press). I am neither looking to bulk or cut. Just build a big strong body.

I will be doing all exercises 4x8-10 keeping the same weight each set. I will progress the weights when I can do all 4 sets with 10 reps.

Day 1 Mon.

1. Overhand grip elbows flared out bent over two arm dumbbell rows 4x8-10
2. Medium grip lat pulldowns to the front 4x8-10
3. Seated dumbbell curls 4x8-10
4. 4 way neck machine (front, left, right, back) 4x8-10

Day 2 Weds.

1. Sled hack squat machine 4x8-10
2. Lying leg curls 4x8-10
3. Standing calve raises 4x8-10
4. Seated crunch machine 4x8-10

Day 3 Fri.

1. Flat dumbbell bench press 4x8-10
2. Low incline dumbbell bench press 4x8-10
3. Seated dumbbell lateral raises 4x8-10
4. Tricep pushdowns 4x8-10

How does this look? I am concerned about my side delts getting worked enough. Right now I'm only doing seated dumbbell lateral raises 4x8-10 once a week. Is that enough for my side delts? How does the rest of this routine look?

Last edited:
I am concerned about my side delts getting worked enough. Right now I'm only doing seated dumbbell lateral raises 4x8-10 once a week. Is that enough for my side delts?
Yes it is enough.(IMO)

that looks like a single day work out actually

just doesnt seem to be enough

imo

:)

that looks like a single day work out actually

just doesnt seem to be enough

imo

And for some it may not be enough.:)
I was referring only to the delt portion of your routine.In which I'd do that 2x a week though.

I would do legs on day one, the day before back so that your back is fresh on leg day. Hack squats in my opinion are terrible for the knees, I would drop those and try to at least do leg presses. I would drop the neck machine, no need to work the neck. Need to add seated calves in on another day that you dont work calves so that youre hitting calves on 2 days and not just 1.
To me that is plenty of sets if you push each and every one to the limit hard, and take just one day of rest or none at all inbetween day 3 and the next day 1.
SO I take it you have severe lower back problems? What happened and what surgery did you have? Of course youre not doing 2 of the best exercises around, bentover barbell rows and squats, but I guess you are convinced you cannot do those because of injury? Its too bad, because those two movements are some of the best that you can do for growth.

...To me that is plenty of sets if you push each and every one to the limit hard, and take just one day of rest or none at all inbetween day 3 and the next day 1...

OK. What if I change it from all exercises 4x8-10 to 3x8-10?

Maldorf, in this routine will my side delts be getting worked sufficiently?

Last edited:
OK. What if I change it from all exercises 4x8-10 to 3x8-10?

Maldorf, in this routine will my side delts be getting worked sufficiently?

Yes, plenty. Thats all I have done for that past 3 years or so and I was growing on it after having lifted for over 20 yrs.

Just 3 sets of each exercise is plenty too. I only do decline presses for chest, so you could drop one of your chest exercises too. I would do either dips or narrow grip bench for triceps and not mess with the pushdowns. Stick to compound movements to hit more muscle groups.

Make sure to try and hit each bodypart 2x a week then, and calves 4x a week.

Yes, plenty. Thats all I have done for that past 3 years or so and I was growing on it after having lifted for over 20 yrs.

Just 3 sets of each exercise is plenty too. I only do decline presses for chest, so you could drop one of your chest exercises too. I would do either dips or narrow grip bench for triceps and not mess with the pushdowns. Stick to compound movements to hit more muscle groups.

Make sure to try and hit each bodypart 2x a week then, and calves 4x a week.

That is good advice.:)

...Just 3 sets of each exercise is plenty too...

OK. How about this:

I will be doing all exercises keeping the same weight each set. I will progress the weights when I can do all sets with 10 reps.

Day 1 Mon.

1. Overhand grip elbows flared out bent over two arm dumbbell rows 4x8-10
2. Medium grip lat pulldowns to the front 4x8-10
3. Seated dumbbell curls 3x8-10
4. 4 way neck machine (front, left, right, back) 4x8-10

Day 2 Weds.

1. Sled hack squat machine 4x8-10
2. Lying leg curls 4x8-10
3. Standing calve raises 4x8-10
4. Seated crunch machine 4x8-10

Day 3 Fri.

1. Flat dumbbell bench press 3x8-10
2. Low incline dumbbell bench press 3x8-10
3. Seated overhead dumbbell shoulder press 3x8-10 (I'm gonna give these a try and see how my surgically repaired shoulder can handle them)
4. Seated dumbbell lateral raises 3x8-10
5. Tricep pushdowns 2x8-10

I just got home from completing Day 1 of this rooutine. My lats and mid back were pumped and I felt good leaving the gym. Not too overworked but felt like I got something done.

Last edited:
Remember calves @ 4x a week .:)

Yeah, I would do seated calf raises on day one and then standing on day 3. Again, I wouldnt mess with working your neck, waste of time in my mind. I would also just do low incline bench presses for chest and then either dips or narrow grip bench for tris. Dont do the overhead presses at all. Again, your shoulders get more than enough from the pressing movements for chest and tris along with the side laterals.

...I wouldnt mess with working your neck, waste of time in my mind...

Why do you think working your neck is a waste of time? What about for athletes (boxers, MMA fighters, football players, etc.)?

...I would also just do low incline bench presses for chest and then either dips or narrow grip bench for tris. Dont do the overhead presses at all. Again, your shoulders get more than enough from the pressing movements for chest and tris along with the side laterals...

So your saying I shouldn't do bench AND incline? I should just do incline? So you think this day should look like:

1. Low incline dumbbell bench press 3x8-10
2. Seated dumbbell lateral raises 3x8-10
3. Tricep pushdowns (can't do dips or narrow grip tris, tricep pushdowns are the only tricep ex that doesn't hurt my elbows) 3x8-10

And I should only be doing these for 3 sets a piece?

How's this:

I will be doing all exercises keeping the same weight each set. I will progress the weights when I can do all 3 sets with 10 reps.

Day 1 Mon.

1. Seated cable rows (using triangle bar) 3x8-10
2. Medium grip lat pulldowns to the front 3x8-10
3. Seated dumbbell curls 3x8-10
4. 4 way neck machine (front, left, right, back) 3x8-10

Day 2 Weds.

1. Sled hack squat machine 3x8-10
2. Lying leg curls 3x8-10
3. Standing calve raises 3x8-10
4. Seated crunch machine 3x8-10

Day 3 Fri.

1. Flat dumbbell bench press 3x8-10
2. Low incline dumbbell bench press 3x8-10
3. Seated dumbbell lateral raises 3x8-10
4. Tricep pushdowns 3x8-10

Last edited:
Looks ok. Just give it a go and see how it works for you. If you indeed have all of those injurys that prevent you from doing those core exercises then I guess you dont have much choice. You will get good results from this program.

Looks ok. Just give it a go and see how it works for you. If you indeed have all of those injurys that prevent you from doing those core exercises then I guess you dont have much choice. You will get good results from this program.

Thanks Maldorf. I appreciate it buddy.

If anyone else wants to comment, I'm all ears.

so........your doing 6 total sets PER WEEK for arms????
:(

and 6 for chest?????......and this is enough for you???lol

i would finish your workout in 20 mins

if thats what your trying to do then awesome
and disregared my post

but if your trying to grow it will take you "20 years" with these pussy workouts

so........your doing 6 total sets PER WEEK for arms????
:(

and 6 for chest?????......and this is enough for you???lol

i would finish your workout in 20 mins

if thats what your trying to do then awesome
and disregared my post

but if your trying to grow it will take you "20 years" with these pussy workouts

LOL. To each their own. Maybe Phil will chime in on here if he has some time and patience. I guess that makes me a big pussy then! Last time I looked though, someone that can handle set of 12 reps with 455 lbs for rock bottom squats isnt a pussy. I guess youre just too much a man for us whimps.

LOL. To each their own. Maybe Phil will chime in on here if he has some time and patience. I guess that makes me a big pussy then! Last time I looked though, someone that can handle set of 12 reps with 455 lbs for rock bottom squats isnt a pussy. I guess youre just too much a man for us whimps.

yea, maybe phil can back you up

and yea.......i guess i am

Last edited:
Your Routine itself looks good but you need to hit the bodypart more often. You should have an A & B routine and alternate them M-W-F. You are not stimulating the muscle enough to get the growth you are after. Its ok to do low sets but you need to up your frequency. Hitting your arms would be ok once a wk but your larger bodyparts should be hit 2x a wk.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
saltseeker
NapsGear