over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Deep Tissue Massage?

SZona

Featured Member
Registered
Thoughts on, opinions or experience with Deep Tissue Massage? Interested particularly in the fascial stretching benefits. Is it worth the investment?

SZ

Hey Zona

I got it done for a couple of months back in 2004 and it was amazing! Cutler is a huge advocate for it and Chris "the real deal" told me in CA that he knows for a fact it has helped him recover and grow beyond the norm and that he has been doing it for a long time. I would love to start getting it done again. I want to target my arms and lats.

pumpputnam said:
I got it done for a couple of months back in 2004 and it was amazing! Cutler is a huge advocate for it and Chris "the real deal" told me in CA that he knows for a fact it has helped him recover and grow beyond the norm and that he has been doing it for a long time. I would love to start getting it done again. I want to target my arms and lats.

Yeah, I have spoke with Jay about it and he is a big advocate. I think he flies to LA once a week to get it done. Evidently finding someone to do it effectively for our needs is difficult. Trying to determine if it is worth the expense. I want to target my quads and hams.

SZ

I live in a small midwestern town so finding a good message therapist is hard, also my budget wouldn't allow it for right now. So I do the next best thing.... I am going to start going to a message therepy school where the students can work on me for free for an hour or more prob. Its not deep tissue but hey, its all I got to work with so its better than nothing!!!:D :p

Its well worth it. I have my therapist target one muscle group per session (which is how a true deep tissue should be done). My therapist only works on athletes because she is a bigger woman and would hurt anyone else. Its down right painful sometimes but the results are great. I pay 65 a session.

AWN2004 said:
Its well worth it. I have my therapist target one muscle group per session (which is how a true deep tissue should be done). My therapist only works on athletes because she is a bigger woman and would hurt anyone else. Its down right painful sometimes but the results are great. I pay 65 a session.

Optimal sessions per month? I was thinking I might be able to swing every other week.

SZ

Massage

If you caught the documentary on Joanna Thomas on TLC she says it hurts like hell but swears buy it to help her growth.

I cannot speak highly enough about it. I get it done twice a week and I have for many, many years. You just feel so great.
I have this little chinese guy do it and he is strong as hell!

SZona said:
Optimal sessions per month? I was thinking I might be able to swing every other week.

SZ

If I could afford it, Id do it once a week. I have not had one in a while....but pre-contest if you can indeed afford it, Id go once a week.

Massage is motivating too

I get deep tissue along with swedish once a week minimum. It motivates me, especially on squat days, to know that no matter how bad my quads and lower back hurt, that it will feel better in a few hours. I never really thought about it stretching the facia, but I'm going to get my massuese to work deeper and see what happens...

I have always had flexibility issues with my legs and if you feel my quads they feel hard, tight, almost kind of knotted up. When I look at pics of myself over the years it seems like I have lost some detail/seperation in my legs. They are bigger/harder now but the seperation and deepness of cuts seems to be less. Kinda weird. My hope is that I can loosen them up a bit perhaps stretch the fascia a little and get a bit of growth happening in there and bring back some more seperation. :D I am going to look into this. Probably try twice weekly offseason and bump it to weekly pre-contest. I'll let you know how it goes. Any other input?

SZ

The thing that I thought helped the most was getting the massage done the afternoon, post training for whatever bodypart I was targeting. My legs for instance would get blasted in the gym and then on the massage table and the soreness was beyond anything Ive ever experienced. I will say this though....the following weeks I was able to notice increased vascularity and fullness. I think breaking down the muscle even more really helps get that blood in there and saturate those white muscle fibers.

AWN2004 said:
The thing that I thought helped the most was getting the massage done the afternoon, post training for whatever bodypart I was targeting. My legs for instance would get blasted in the gym and then on the massage table and the soreness was beyond anything Ive ever experienced. I will say this though....the following weeks I was able to notice increased vascularity and fullness. I think breaking down the muscle even more really helps get that blood in there and saturate those white muscle fibers.

hahha AWN trying to b all technical, ask him which massuese he went to and what place... Im sure everyones heard of those "multi" massuese parlors. Where they r large women who rub u in "all" the right places:p cmon AWN tell em about the real massage parlor u went to:D
gooey

jawbreakerkid said:
then after awhile I get light headed and feel guilt. Strange.
LOL.

I get a massage usually twice a week if not then just once. I can't say enough highly about it. It's just part of my routine now. If for some reason I can't get a massage, I'm more fatigued and recovery is slower.

Very interested to see if DTM stretches the facia... But it DEFINITELY helps recovery.

gooey said:
hahha AWN trying to b all technical, ask him which massuese he went to and what place... Im sure everyones heard of those "multi" massuese parlors. Where they r large women who rub u in "all" the right places:p cmon AWN tell em about the real massage parlor u went to:D
gooey

Yeah your right...I went to the one you asked me for directions to. She comes out eating a meatball hogie and Id say she was about a duece or so. I think she got meatball sauce on me during the session but she just licked it off. I love getting massages

got one yesterday, I love em', helps me out like hell.....but everytime I get some fine ass chic so I trying not to get a hard on the whole time, but when they get my back it helps 10fold with training....

AWN2004 said:
Yeah your right...I went to the one you asked me for directions to. She comes out eating a meatball hogie and Id say she was about a duece or so. I think she got meatball sauce on me during the session but she just licked it off. I love getting massages

course I had to ask u directions I didnt know where Jo MOMMA lives :):p

One thing that you have to remember is not to let just any therapist try deep tissue. They can injure you and create more problems.

The reason people seem refreshed, more vascular, and even strongger is everytime you get a massage it causes the muscle to release all the toxins and "free radicals" and junk that is trapped in there. It helps to get it out and drink lots of water. If you don't think this theory is true go get a massage and then go drink after words. You body is craving fluids to flush all the toxins out, and you'll end up wasted within a few drinks. It would be just like drinking right after training.

If everyone like massages I would tell you guys to look into ART therapy. Many only think you should do this with an injury, but it's got more benefits than just recovery. I get it done several times a month and it's the shit. He gets in there and breaks down any scar tissue and or inflamation and really goes to town. I feel alot better afterwords!

Staff online

• A50#
    Old School Moderator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenja
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws