over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

gas after workout. What's going on?

red5260

Registered
This isn't a real great post but I need some knowledge here. I must be doing something wrong. I get alot of gas after my workouts lately. Here's what I've been doing: I will have 25-30 g of protein powder (Designer Whey or VP2 by AST Sports) in about 16 ounces of orange juice as my preworkout shake. This is right before the lifting or during the first part. My real meal came 1.5 to 2 hours before that. My post workout drink is the same as the first but with vitamin C added. An hour to an hour and half later I eat a real meal.......chicken and rice or lean hamburger and pasta. It's after the post workout drink that all this gas shows up. And it lasts for about 4 hours. My workouts are about an hour and a half long and intense (DC).
Any thoughts on what the problem could be? I poop normal (3-4 times a day) and don't have problems with gas any other time of the day.

Last edited:
If I had to guess, the culprit would be Designer Whey. There is a fair amount of low quality Whey Concentrate in it. Consider using only top quality proteins like the VP2 or Synthepure.

Aside from changing up your protien, I would suggest getting some digestive enzymes. Now foods sells a product called "Super Enzymes" that I take with my morning shake. I rarely get gas anymore, even when I am running dessicated liver tablets(which are notorious for wicked gas).

If I had to guess, the culprit would be Designer Whey. There is a fair amount of low quality Whey Concentrate in it. Consider using only top quality proteins like the VP2 or Synthepure.

While I agree that Designer Whey isn't that great, I doubt it's the protein causing this. I say that because I take the same drink as my "first meal" in the morning and have no problem. It's only after the workout that this problem shows up. I love Synthepure protein. Can't afford it right now.
And it's not that wicked of gas either. Just alot of. Makes me wonder if I can't handle the simple sugar after the workout or something. But I thought that's what you needed during/after a workout.

Last edited:
So, is orange juice your pre/intra workout carb?
BTW - now that True Protein is a sponsor I can bump them - their cold filtered isolate is most likely the best bang for the buck ever...

So, is orange juice your pre/intra workout carb?
BTW - now that True Protein is a sponsor I can bump them - their cold filtered isolate is most likely the best bang for the buck ever...

It is. I used it because of $. It's cheap. I really want to try waxie maize but haven't yet.

It might be the acidity of the OJ... Try some dextrose - usually about $2 per lb. Even if you did a 1 to 1 ratio with your protein, 2 lbs would last a while.
It only takes 25g of dextrose to get a good insulin increase.

It might be the acidity of the OJ... Try some dextrose - usually about $2 per lb. Even if you did a 1 to 1 ratio with your protein, 2 lbs would last a while.
It only takes 25g of dextrose to get a good insulin increase.

ok thank you very much. I will try that and give feedback in a while :)

Last edited:
if you have eaten a real meal prior to training then you really do not need the extra protein in your stomach while trying to train. As if lactic acid build up is not enough you compound this by ingesting protein right before you train. Try drinking some water and eating some fruit. The carbs will do you much more justice for training and save the protein for when your body really needs it.........................post workout!! You are trying to force your body into doing something it does not want to do, which is digest food while trying to maintain bloodflow to your muscles. Yes eat your meal 1.5-2hrs pre..........but you are not really getting much benefit from the shake so soon before training.

if you have eaten a real meal prior to training then you really do not need the extra protein in your stomach while trying to train. As if lactic acid build up is not enough you compound this by ingesting protein right before you train. Try drinking some water and eating some fruit. The carbs will do you much more justice for training and save the protein for when your body really needs it.........................post workout!! You are trying to force your body into doing something it does not want to do, which is digest food while trying to maintain bloodflow to your muscles. Yes eat your meal 1.5-2hrs pre..........but you are not really getting much benefit from the shake so soon before training.

Ok thank you. That is very insightful. In the past I have done that very thing.....not have a preworkout shake but do have the post. But some strongly advocate a pre and post workout drink. And this is from highly revered members here on the board. So I figured, well maybe I am cheating myself by not having a pre and post. But honestly, if I listen to my body, it really doesn't want a meal before an intense workout.

agreed 100%. I tried Designer Whey once and I cleared out rooms. It was nasty gas

well, I honestly think it was too much beta alanine. I haven't had any lately and haven't had a problem with gas post workout. I take alot on days I do squats and deadlifts. Because I run high reps on those exercises. I take 10 grams at once preworkout. Skin is on fire, but sure does the trick. So could this be possible? Too much Beta Alanine?

I would save yourself the trouble and get your stuff from True Protein. They have the cheapest stuff on the market and it's the best quality I've ever had.

Get their Whey Isolate Cold Filtration and add in their enzymes. They actually put the enzymes in the whey for you. You can also formulate your own PWO carb/amino drinks. Basically, whatever you want is there.

Gas...

Bro i would say your lucky if you only have gas after working out, LOL:D

i have it like 24hrs a day especially since i've been keeping my diet in check...when i wake up in the morning, during the day, when i go pee at night...literally all hours i'm awake...probably when i sleep as well but i really don't wanna ask my wife she's pissed enough as it is with me and my gas...

Cheap protein always gives me gas, and on the other hand OJ gives me gas also, so try to get some protein with digestive enzyme in it, and change your pre-work out carb, I have a sensitive digestive system and the best carb for me is plain old oatmeal, I cook 2 servings in microwave and blend it with my protein, pre and post work out, I realize it is not a fast burning carb but it works for me and it's cheap, and it's easy on the system. God bless you .

Alright I found the problem........if anyone is interested. I was taking too much beta alanine. 10 grams before the workout. I know.....10 grams. :eek: I took it down bout 5 notches and everything is fine. Maybe others can handle that much but I cannot.
Thanks Dave Smith for the pointers to TP.

If I take a preworkout product like super pump or fusion force I get the gas bad.Creatine also gives me bad gas.

it's the protein powder Bro, Plus don't do squats at the end of your workout do them at the start of your workout, that should stop the shits & gas

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Stromba926
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131