advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How long must you wait between cardio and lifting on same day?

Spacey

Registered
I want to start doing cardio in a separate session. But because of work schedule and gym hours, I will only have about 8 hours between the end of one and the start of the other. Is that worth splitting them up, or should I just keep doing cardio immediately after lifting (i.e., in the same session). In case it affects the analysis, my training sessions are usually about 40 minutes and cardio is 30-45 minutes.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something that has fit my personal lifestyle for over 20 years. I generally get up around 430 AM, and do either HIIT on a treadmill, stairclimber, stationary bike, elliptical or run or sprints outside for 30 minutes. All depends on what I feel like doing that morning.

Then around 5 PM I'll hit the gym.

Considering your time constraints, post workout may fit you better?

Last edited:
I always do my cardio right after lifting.

If I'm dieting down and want a little extra I'll throw in some cardio on an off day from the weight room

morning fasted and after workout on days off and post workout also fasted before work . That's just when dieting for a show

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, breaking up sessions has been more effective. Use the time period around training for recovery and muscle preservation (if dieting) through proper nutrition.

If you can break up cardio and lifting, I find that to be the optimal approach. You can put your full effort into your cardio and can use the time around training for recovery.

Personally, breaking up sessions has been more effective. Use the time period around training for recovery and muscle preservation (if dieting) through proper nutrition.

If you can break up cardio and lifting, I find that to be the optimal approach. You can put your full effort into your cardio and can use the time around training for recovery.

Thanks, I understand that splitting up cardio and lifting is optimal, but my question is how long do you need in between sessions? If I can only fit 8 hours between lifting and cardio, is it still more effective to split it up?

I do cardio upon waking. lift 6 or more hours later. and do a little post w/o too..No issues with strength.

Thanks, I understand that splitting up cardio and lifting is optimal, but my question is how long do you need in between sessions? If I can only fit 8 hours between lifting and cardio, is it still more effective to split it up?

Not much time at all... there should really be no issue if you did cardio first thing, went home and ate a meal then trained an hour or two later. The only thing I would not do is HIIT before legs and you might experience some fatigue. Conversely, you could lift in the AM and do cardio at night.

IMO/IME, cardio and training can done very close together without issue as long as your nutrition is good. Based on your scenario, with several hours between the two, that is more than enough time to be able to get the best of both sessions. But if that is too difficult, you can always do cardio post w/o... not the best option, but it will still be effective.

I agree with everyone, because they are all right. If you can make the time for two separate workouts per day I would say the optimal time interval is whenever you feel recovered from the first workout. But if you are like most of us, one trip to the gym per day is it. Cardio only on non lifting days is great.

Just fuel up and do the work.

Thanks everyone for the helpful feedback! Glad to know that both are good options and that I should be ok with this split. I actually enjoy going to the gym, and it's right next to where I work, so getting there twice in a day isn't really that hard for me.

As for cardio on non-lifting days, how will that affect recovery? Right now, I train 3 on, 1 off, 2 on, 1 off. I have tried training more frequently, but without those off days, I really burn out quickly.

Thanks

It shouldn't affect recovery at all unless your calories are far too low...

It shouldn't affect recovery at all unless your calories are far too low...

I am in a calorie deficit because I am dieting right now (hence all the questions about cardio, lol!), but if I understand correctly, you mean mean restricting calories beyond that. Thanks.

Yes, you got it lol if you have a regular meal after cardio and eat sufficient macros you'll be fine.

If you notice you are losing weight too fast, either scale back the cardio or up the food.

But as far as recovery for weight training, if you are eating properly around training, that will rebuild muscular damage caused by training. Focus the meals around training on maximizing recovery while all other meals ficus on your fat loss with your macro structure that suits you

Yes, you got it lol if you have a regular meal after cardio and eat sufficient macros you'll be fine.

If you notice you are losing weight too fast, either scale back the cardio or up the food.

But as far as recovery for weight training, if you are eating properly around training, that will rebuild muscular damage caused by training. Focus the meals around training on maximizing recovery while all other meals ficus on your fat loss with your macro structure that suits you

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated!

After lifting we can do cardio and there is no any problem with doing cardio after lifting. I also do cardio right after my lifting.It is not important to take some rest after doing lifting.

Personally, I like doing my cardio in the morning and then weight training in the early evening. If I do my cardio after my weights, I dont get as intense so I dont feel like I've gotten enough out of it.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws