over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Nationals or Bust?????

RBW

Newbies
4 weeks out from the Nationals. These first photos are from today.
weight 174 this morning. Dont know where i will fall.... i think i could be in condition at 160 but that puts me right in the middle of the welterweight class.... Would i be giving up too much size and do better dropping down to lightweight. i am 5'5.......

i will post some pics from last contest.... Jr Usa, lightweight,1st.

Attachments

• 4weeks05nationalsback.jpg
    4weeks05nationalsback.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 2,069
  • 4weeks05nationalsinside.jpg
    4weeks05nationalsinside.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,964
  • IMG_0599.JPG
    IMG_0599.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 1,780
Jr Usa photos

here are some pics from Jr USA, 1st. i weighed in at 153, 7 hours later when most of the photos were taken i was 160.

Attachments

• contestbackdouble.jpg
    contestbackdouble.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,492
  • frontcontestroom.jpg
    frontcontestroom.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,411
  • frontrelaxed.jpg
    frontrelaxed.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,273
  • RYAN3.jpg
    RYAN3.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 1,293
Well, in the 4 weeks out photos you don't look much smoother than the stage photos, so you will look fantastic come comp time.
Just keep going forward, you look great.

I am always of the belief that one should compete at the weight that they look best in, not worry about class.
Wasn't Labrada that got his pro card when he missed his weight class by only 1lb? It didn't matter that he was in a higher class, he still destroyed everybody.

thanks for the reply...... i just feel like i am behind..... i look at my contest photos and think....HOW AM I GOING TO REPEAT THAT????...
Then i look at Jose Raymond and think...there is no way i can hang with that... enough whinning.........
As my diet man, Tony Haines, says..."There is always knitting!"

I will post more when i am 2 weeks out...hopefully we will see more changes take place.

one more from last contest

Attachments

• 12051-walters-r-01.jpg
    12051-walters-r-01.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 2,415
Nationals

First, given that the recent photos are at 174, you don't have 14 pounds of fat/water to lose -- not even close. So, if you came down to 160, you'd be giving up a LOT of muscle. Let alone coming down to 154 1/4 as you did for the Jr. USA.

Second, eventually at a height of 5'5", at the national level, you'll have to come in at 176 as a middleweight (Mark Dugdale is 5'6" and won the USA at 198 as a lightheavy).

Third, the top of Welterweight is, of course, 165 1/4 and that's the class you belong in.

Fourth, normally I would tell you to train for the mirror and let us decide what weight class you're in. However, I think YOUR eye is trained too far in the direction of extreme condition, and doesn't value mass appropriately, so I'm afraid that suggestion will cause you to over-diet. So, for the next four weeks, forget "dieting" per se. Your task is to dry out while staying full and tight. Now, a big caution given the number of competitors hospitalized after the USA is that you can't go extreme on the dehydration -- preferably, you should be under medical supervision or at least have someone close to you monitor you for signs of dehydration, in addition to your own monitoring.

THERE IS NOTHING YOU WILL ACHIEVE AT THE NATIONALS NOW OR IN THE FUTURE THAT IS WORTH RISKING, LET ALONE PERMANENTLY DAMAGING, YOUR HEALTH! Anyone who thinks there is needs to get over it.

I like your physique much better as it is in these recent photos than I did at the Jr. USA (yes, I was one of the judges there, and will be at the Nationals, but also keep in mind I'm just one vote). At the Jr. USA, you had extreme condition, but not enough mass for your bone structure.

All that said, I continue to believe that competitors need to present themselves as they wish to be. So, if the extreme condition of the Jr. USA is what pleases you, then that's what you need to do because you are the one who has to live with the outcome, not me.

That's one judge's opinion. Good luck, and see you in a few weeks.

WOW!!!!!!! I am at a total loss of words......thanks for the input!!!!

My feeling was I didnt have the mass to get noticed. Especially standing next to Jose Raymond. (if i even get the chance) So to even get a look I had to go for extreme condition. The feedback i have always got was for my conditioning and symmetry. i've never looked at myself as having "mass".

I appreciate your "eye" for what you think I need to do.

I will get with my prep man and re-think some things.

Okay...but rely on the people you are familiar with and trust.

There are widely differing viewpoints on the tradeoff between mass and condition -- among competitors, among trainers, and among some judges which is why we typically have 11 judges at a national show.

Be sure that what you do is what YOU want to do, and how you want to present yourself. If you're more comfortable going in with extreme condition, then that may be what you should do. On any given panel, I am probably the judge who gives the least weight to extreme condition, and the most to balance -- so you're getting an "extreme" opinion. Remember also that judging is comparative -- it all depends on who else is up there. On any given day, you could walk into the lightweights looking as you did at the Jr. USA and win the class. If Nov 18 happens to be one of those days, you may always regret not having gone where your preferences were taking you.

Regrets -- there aren't any assurances in this game!!!!

KenT

I understand that ultimately I have to live with the decision and the outcome.
I was already wavering on what I needed to do this just tipped the scale and gave me the confidence to do what i NEED to do. Move out of the comfort zone(lightweight), maintain my muscle gains, and move to welterweight to see where I stand.

Nationals

Excellent! Stop by after Saturday night and I'll try to provide some feedback and identify other judges you should speak with.

RBW

Short and Sweet: I'm impressed! Good luck in Atlanta!

Worldspan

thanks guys..... 3 weeks!!!!! i never dreamed i would be stepping on the National stage.... Winning my class at the Jr Usa was like winning the Super Bowl so i am just blown away that i am headed to Atlanta to see how i stack up......

RBW

I concur wholeheartedly about not dropping a weight-class. Although not your peak competition shots, these are good ones of you:

4weeks05nationalsinside;
IMG_0599

Before you run with your gut reaction, get some input from established sources. The judges' table is a better place for this than the gym.

Well i got 8th....which i am totally happy with!!!! It was a great experience.
I just need to come in bigger and harder next year....Everything has to come up...

Attachments

• favoritecompare.jpg
    favoritecompare.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 914
  • IMG_0718.JPG
    IMG_0718.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 741
  • RyanFlex6.jpg
    RyanFlex6.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 753
Next contest was North Americans, Sept 2006. I was 173 middleweight.
The lighting at the contest was a little off... not making excuses just stating a fact. I got 5th. Next stop Nationals 2007.

Attachments

• IMG_17131.JPG
    IMG_17131.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 542
  • backlat.jpg
    backlat.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 478
  • DSC_0010.JPG
    DSC_0010.JPG
    185.9 KB · Views: 449
  • compmm.jpg
    compmm.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 436
  • compsidechest.jpg
    compsidechest.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 473
You look great just keep at it.Your competition is very stiff and by looking at your pics its hard to give you a fair and honest advice,the best thing you could do is at the show go up to the judges and ask there for advice.Very nice pics with Jay.

4 weeks out Nationals 2007

4 weeks out.... 178 going to 165!!!!

Attachments

• 4weeklatspread2.jpg
    4weeklatspread2.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 447
  • 4weeksmm2.jpg
    4weeksmm2.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 432

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub