over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

rookie question

Remington14

Newbies
So here it is...

call me stupid if you will...

But if you lose all your gains from gear when you come off cycle, and your taking necessary time off in-between cycles..

how does one ever make progress:confused::confused::confused:

You don't come off.

What if you have to come off for like a year for a drug test you lose everything ?

What if you have to come off for like a year for a drug test you lose everything ?

What kind of drug screen is it? Specifically to test for steroids? Because standard pre-employment or injury liability drug screens are not going to test for AAS.

so basically a hrt dose with periods of blasting??

can you remain fertile by doing this? or does it basically just come down to the individual?

Blast and cruise. The dosages and lengths of both of those will change based on individual response and development.

Fertility is a funny thing. There are guys that have posted about conceiving a child while on a ton of gear, and there are guys only on HRT who have problems.

Hard to give a straight answer because like most things, it's very dependent on the person.

What kind of drug screen is it? Specifically to test for steroids? Because standard pre-employment or injury liability drug screens are not going to test for AAS.

Blast and cruise. The dosages and lengths of both of those will change based on individual response and development.

Fertility is a funny thing. There are guys that have posted about conceiving a child while on a ton of gear, and there are guys only on HRT who have problems.

Hard to give a straight answer because like most things, it's very dependent on the person.

It's goin to be either for fire department or corrections I'm pretty sure they test to get in

I'm still amazed that bros lose gains when they come off. If you're doing proper PCT, watching your nutrition, and training right you should only really lose fluid weight.

I'm still amazed that bros lose gains when they come off. If you're doing proper PCT, watching your nutrition, and training right you should only really lose fluid weight.

:rolleyes: If exogenous hormones have taken you past your natural genetic potential, when you remove those hormones you will evenetually regress until you're back at your natural limit. For some it may happen more quickly than others, and proper training, nutrition and rest may delay the process, but you will never maintain an enhanced physique without the enhancing drugs.

Thats not necessarily true, we're talking about maintaining accumulated muscle fiber. While your body will naturally seek homeostasis the question here is about changing composition. You will lose the feeling of muscle fullness when off because that is a byproduct of increased fluid retention and allocation within your body.

I'm far from the biggest, most jacked guy on this board, but I've been making steady gains the past couple years using fairly low dosages. Anywhere from 200-400mg/wk. I've only had a couple blasts during this time and even then they weren't over the top. No more than a gram a week and under 10 weeks.

Anyways, to answer the OP's question, yes, if you stop using you will lose gains. But not necessarily all of them if PCT is done correctly. But you will be smaller and will need to start using again at some point if you want to get bigger than you were while you were on.

Or...you will decide to stay on, as many do, use a low dose most of the year and hit the pedal every now and then. I really do believe the word to remember in this sport is CONSISTENCY...in all aspects - training, diet, mental toughness, etc. That is the key to steady gains and long term results.

Thats not necessarily true, we're talking about maintaining accumulated muscle fiber. While your body will naturally seek homeostasis the question here is about changing composition. You will lose the feeling of muscle fullness when off because that is a byproduct of increased fluid retention and allocation within your body.

I'm not talking about fullness. If you think someone who needs to run 1g/wk test and 500mg/wk NPP to be 5'10" and a lean 250 is going to hold that same amount of muscle long term on an HRT dose you're crazy.

Fullness and fluids may be all you lose at first, but give it long enough on no hormones and the muscle will slowly come off.

Some people argue you can change your genetic set point, I'm not 100% sold on that though. They always say if you hold a high enough weight for long enough you can more easily maintain a slightly lower weight on a much lower dose, maybe add a few iu GH. That's really a whole different argument though.

But if your not at your genetic potential you can retain those gains?

I'm no where near where I want to be to start, I'm honestly just curious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But if your not at your genetic potential you can retain those gains?

I'm no where near where I want to be to start, I'm honestly just curious

If you're not at your genetic natural limit yet why do you need steroids?

I don't need them just curious. I even said in that post

"I'm no where near where I want to be to start, I'm honestly just curious"

I'm not talking about fullness. If you think someone who needs to run 1g/wk test and 500mg/wk NPP to be 5'10" and a lean 250 is going to hold that same amount of muscle long term on an HRT dose you're crazy.
I'm not crazy, but I do have a masters in exercise and nutrition science. My thesis was on skeletal muscle physiology, which I would post if it weren't for privacy concerns. I'm not talking bro science here.

Fullness and fluids may be all you lose at first, but give it long enough on no hormones and the muscle will slowly come off.
Correct. Muscle wasting occurs when your body is in a catabolic state or a cortisol rebound after suppression, heavy stress, etc. Your body is constantly switching between anabolic and catabolic stages regardless of exogenous hormones. However, this is where proper PCT and nutrition come in to ease your natural hormone levels back into place and maintain nitrogen balance after a highly anabolic state without actual muscle atrophy. Training intensity must be lowered but volume maintained to keep your tissues in a growth phase.

The point is that after maturity you will always lose muscle, it's a natural process. But you can maintain muscle fibers grown during periods of exogenous hormone use if you are meticulous about your PCT, diet and training. Otherwise none of those mutants you see winning comps would exist.

Think about it like a plant that you give a really good fertilizer to. It has a growth spurt because of the fertilizer and suddenly you need a bigger pot. Once you remove the fertilizer, that plant will continue to support its larger size as long as it's maintenance nutrients are maintained and it is not exposed to harmful external conditions.

I'm not crazy, but I do have a masters in exercise and nutrition science. My thesis was on skeletal muscle physiology, which I would post if it weren't for privacy concerns. I'm not talking bro science here.

While I appreciate that you're educated I'm curious, how many classes in that curriculum specifically dealt with the effects of AAS, their long term use, the implications of cessation and various shifts in physiology/hormonal cascades/etc while on and off? I'm not talking bro science either, I'm talking real world experience. I love science, believe me, but real life doesn't always correlate with the classroom.

Correct. Muscle wasting occurs when your body is in a catabolic state or a cortisol rebound after suppression, heavy stress, etc. Your body is constantly switching between anabolic and catabolic stages regardless of exogenous hormones. However, this is where proper PCT and nutrition come in to ease your natural hormone levels back into place and maintain nitrogen balance after a highly anabolic state without actual muscle atrophy. Training intensity must be lowered but volume maintained to keep your tissues in a growth phase.

All else being equal, there should be no way you continue to grow on a lower dose. It doesn't matter how you cut it the basic things needed for growth are stimulus, recovery, nutrients and proper hormonal environment. If you keep three the same and lower one, logically there can only be one outcome.

The point is that after maturity you will always lose muscle, it's a natural process. But you can maintain muscle fibers grown during periods of exogenous hormone use if you are meticulous about your PCT, diet and training. Otherwise none of those mutants you see winning comps would exist.

Can you qualify this last statement please? Which mutants are you referencing, which contests are they winning, and how can you know what they are using to do so?

Think about it like a plant that you give a really good fertilizer to. It has a growth spurt because of the fertilizer and suddenly you need a bigger pot. Once you remove the fertilizer, that plant will continue to support its larger size as long as it's maintenance nutrients are maintained and it is not exposed to harmful external conditions.

Here is the problem with this analogy. The fertilizer would be analogous food for humans, not hormones. Fertilizer is just mineral nutrients. A plant can only use so much. What happens if you use too much fertilizer? It harms the plant, often called fertilizer burn. So there is a threshold at which the plant can no longer use additional nutrients for growth. This would be like comparing a person's diet. At a certain point, more protein or carbs is not going to facilitate additional muscle growth. You could even argue it 'harms' it by increasing adiposity. So the results of using fertilizer to spur plant growth are highly dependent on the quality of the soil in which it's planted and the nutrition available through that. Much like the progress a person makes by changing their diet depends on how insufficient it was originally. You put a plant in soil that has the maximum amount of nutrients it needs for growth and fertilizer will not help it. This does not equate to steroids. Now if fertilizer were able to increase the rate and efficiency with which the plant absorbed and used nutients thus giving it the ability to grow faster and bigger with an increase in nutrients beyond its sans-fertilizer threshold, then we would have a steroid comparison.

Ps. If you're comfortable sending me your thesis via email I'd love to read it. Might even learn something new [emoji6]

This is an interesting debate, however I don't want to get too far into the weeds if we can't speak on the same terms (physiology vs life-experience) because we won't reach any common ground. You are going to believe what you've seen and you seem very steadfast in your resolve. The only reason that I chimed in was to say (and rightly so) that you can retain gains after coming off of hormones if you create the right environment for it. I'll answer your questions, hopefully this spurs any readers to do their own research and see that it is physically possible (it is).

While I appreciate that you're educated I'm curious, how many classes in that curriculum specifically dealt with the effects of AAS, their long term use, the implications of cessation and various shifts in physiology/hormonal cascades/etc while on and off? I'm not talking bro science either, I'm talking real world experience. I love science, believe me, but real life doesn't always correlate with the classroom.
The majority of my studies, including my thesis, was focused on the physiology of skeletal tissue inclusive of endogenous hormone effects on anabolic and catabolic states. Basically why you grow and lose muscle and how to optimize it for performance. Once you understand the basics you can extrapolate the effects of introducing exogenous hormones and what happens when you take them away. Unfortunately there aren't many studies that I've seen on post steroid wasting but if you understand how the tissue works you can manipulate it. This is as much a fact as understanding the mechanics of combustion that make your car possible.

All else being equal, there should be no way you continue to grow on a lower dose. It doesn't matter how you cut it the basic things needed for growth are stimulus, recovery, nutrients and proper hormonal environment. If you keep three the same and lower one, logically there can only be one outcome.
Correct! But we are talking about RETENTION and steroids do far less for growth than people think. They are more effective for ensuring proper recovery and mitigating catabolism. This is the piece of the puzzle that you have to work with, and nobody mentioned all things being equal. Your nutrition, stimulus and nutrients MUST change to retain muscle tissue. PCT is what works on your hormonal environment.

Can you qualify this last statement please? Which mutants are you referencing, which contests are they winning, and how can you know what they are using to do so?
This would be your top tier bodybuilding athletes. I'm merely making an educated assumption that if one were not able to retain muscle tissue after reducing hormone levels then reaching the size of a Ronnie Coleman or Jay Cutler would be virtually impossible. I am sure that there is a blast/cruise or at least an on/off use of anabolics there. By your reasoning there would be no possibility of exponential growth, I disagree and understand that there is muscle fiber retention that is not completely driven by hormones.

Here is the problem with this analogy. The fertilizer would be analogous food for humans, not hormones. Fertilizer is just mineral nutrients. A plant can only use so much. What happens if you use too much fertilizer? It harms the plant, often called fertilizer burn. So there is a threshold at which the plant can no longer use additional nutrients for growth. This would be like comparing a person's diet. At a certain point, more protein or carbs is not going to facilitate additional muscle growth. You could even argue it 'harms' it by increasing adiposity. So the results of using fertilizer to spur plant growth are highly dependent on the quality of the soil in which it's planted and the nutrition available through that. Much like the progress a person makes by changing their diet depends on how insufficient it was originally. You put a plant in soil that has the maximum amount of nutrients it needs for growth and fertilizer will not help it. This does not equate to steroids. Now if fertilizer were able to increase the rate and efficiency with which the plant absorbed and used nutients thus giving it the ability to grow faster and bigger with an increase in nutrients beyond its sans-fertilizer threshold, then we would have a steroid comparison.
This is my point, the most powerful fertilizers contain a mix of nutrients and chemicals that increase nitrogen absorption.

Again, I've enjoyed this discussion.

Ps. If you're comfortable sending me your thesis via email I'd love to read it. Might even learn something new [emoji6]
With that thing on turnitin LE could find me with a quick internet search haha! I'm not saying you are at all, but we should all be careful. I may just PM some of my source material used over the years that would be helpful if you'd like.

This is an interesting debate, however I don't want to get too far into the weeds if we can't speak on the same terms (physiology vs life-experience) because we won't reach any common ground. You are going to believe what you've seen and you seem very steadfast in your resolve. The only reason that I chimed in was to say (and rightly so) that you can retain gains after coming off of hormones if you create the right environment for it. I'll answer your questions, hopefully this spurs any readers to do their own research and see that it is physically possible (it is).

I think our problem may be semantics. Is it possible to hold muscle tissue without the use of anabolics? Yes. To what degree and for how long I think is where we may be talking about different ideas.

The majority of my studies, including my thesis, was focused on the physiology of skeletal tissue inclusive of endogenous hormone effects on anabolic and catabolic states. Basically why you grow and lose muscle and how to optimize it for performance. Once you understand the basics you can extrapolate the effects of introducing exogenous hormones and what happens when you take them away. Unfortunately there aren't many studies that I've seen on post steroid wasting but if you understand how the tissue works you can manipulate it. This is as much a fact as understanding the mechanics of combustion that make your car possible.

The car analogy is great, I'm actually a mechanic. So let me pose this to you in that regard. If a engine is like a human being, steroids are like adding a turbocharger. With forced induction you force incredible amounts of air into the combustion chamber that allows you to make greater horsepower. If you take that source of forced induction away, you can still manipulate air/fuel ratios, camshaft lift/duration, ignition timing to increase the horsepower of the engine, but it will never come close to the level it was able to reach with the turbocharger.

Correct! But we are talking about RETENTION and steroids do far less for growth than people think. They are more effective for ensuring proper recovery and mitigating catabolism. This is the piece of the puzzle that you have to work with, and nobody mentioned all things being equal. Your nutrition, stimulus and nutrients MUST change to retain muscle tissue. PCT is what works on your hormonal environment.

This comment was directed at your comment about keeping the tissue in a growth phase. Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant. I agree retention is different. It much easier to maintain than it is to push yourself there in the first place. I also understand there was no mention of all else being equal. That was mostly to underscore the importance hormones play in musculature.

This would be your top tier bodybuilding athletes. I'm merely making an educated assumption that if one were not able to retain muscle tissue after reducing hormone levels then reaching the size of a Ronnie Coleman or Jay Cutler would be virtually impossible. I am sure that there is a blast/cruise or at least an on/off use of anabolics there. By your reasoning there would be no possibility of exponential growth, I disagree and understand that there is muscle fiber retention that is not completely driven by hormones.

Again, I think we are running into a semantics misunderstanding. In no way am I suggesting the someone must be on high doses of AAS at all times to maintain muscle. In fact I think that eventually becomes more deleterious than beneficial. But the time off must be kept short enough so the muscle isn't effected and the dose should obviously be adjusted based on individual response and development. I'm sure that even in Ronnie Coleman's prime there were periods of time where he was on 'low' dosages. Now low for him and low for me may not be the same, but aside from that, the point I'm trying to make is that at that level, a low dose is only going to do so much. Eventually one's development reaches a point where manipulation of diet, recovery and nutrition can't compensate for the absence of hormones.

Now for an average gym goer who has maybe 20lbs over his natural limit, a low dose could possibly be run for much longer without much (or any) noticeable loss in size. But I think you'll find as the musculature of someone increases, the length of time they can maintain that physique without hormones proportionately decreases.

This is my point, the most powerful fertilizers contain a mix of nutrients and chemicals that increase nitrogen absorption.

Again, I've enjoyed this discussion.

Fair enough. I was unaware this type of fertilizer existed, but admittedly am not up to speed on all things horticulture :)

With that thing on turnitin LE could find me with a quick internet search haha! I'm not saying you are at all, but we should all be careful. I may just PM some of my source material used over the years that would be helpful if you'd like.

No worries, I understand the need for caution. Anything you would be willing to share would be fun to browse though and I would certainly appreciate it.

I have also enjoyed this talk, much better than some threads around here ;)

Cheers.

*On another note, I think Remington14 may have gotten more than he bargained for on this thread, haha.

Last edited:

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner