over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Shoulder replacement

BLKGUY2006

Registered
Newbies
Hey guys,
I was wandering if anyone here has had a shoulder replacement? After 29 years of training like a madman and 3 prior operations on that particular shoulder she it toast. I’m 46, still train hard, but limited on some pressing moment. Technology has advanced a lot lately, and I will be getting an anatomically correct shoulder stemless cap and 3D imaging prior. I have no soft tissue damage whatsoever.
Any experiences with this or any joint replacements?

Thanks everyone

Would love to see joint replacement technology (whether shoulder, hip or knee replacement) get to the point where little or no metal or plastic is needed, just lab grown bone and cartilage made from your OWN body's cells and shaped for your body. That way it's truly anatomically correct and that movement be just as natural as with your original joints.

Hey guys,
I was wandering if anyone here has had a shoulder replacement? After 29 years of training like a madman and 3 prior operations on that particular shoulder she it toast. I’m 46, still train hard, but limited on some pressing moment. Technology has advanced a lot lately, and I will be getting an anatomically correct shoulder stemless cap and 3D imaging prior. I have no soft tissue damage whatsoever.
Any experiences with this or any joint replacements?

Thanks everyone
I have a friend that had that done almost two years ago. He thinks his shoulder is more fucked now than before he had It done. He rehabbed aggressively and did all the right things but it just didn’t work out for him. Limited range of motion and muscular issues he never had before and he says it always hurts and just quit training altogether now. It might have been the surgeon who knows but his end result left him basically unable to train anywhere near his previous level. I feel bad for him he is really depressed over the whole thing. Just make sure your surgeon is reputable there are good ones out there but there are plenty that aren’t.

From what I’ve heard..hip and knee replacements are great..shoulder replacements are at least 10-12 years behind

I have heard from second hand that it is horrifyingly painful, and still sucks after the healing/rehab. Cannot confirm that personally, but I know 3 people that have had it done. All hated it. Only one of the 3 trains though, so perhaps it sucks less as you get strength and musculature back to pre-surgery levels.

You get a total shoulder if you have arthritis and wearing of the ends of the bone (the cartilage) where they articulate. If your rotator cuff is beat you get a reverse total. Get it done when the pain is your greatest complaint and effects you daily activity or sleep and you have tried all other options.

I personally would not go back to training like you did prior to this surgery as you are asking for trouble or the plastic parts to wear more quickly. This will lead to a revision surgery at some point. So again, I would only do it if I were truly hurting from arthritis have tried all other options like corticosteroid injections and physical therapy. What Ronnie Coleman is doing with his replaced joints is truly nuts and the last thing you should be doing.

People generally have good outcomes and most are pleased with their outcome. Yes, the best surgeon can still mess up but typically less than ideal results occur when people do not follow physical therapy protocols and restrictions given by the doctor. I have witnessed plenty patients skip out on PT and then blame the surgeon when in my opinion the surgery was done well and the patient did not do their part. No one says their outcome is bad because they fucked up, its just human nature. Weight lifting for gains or working a physical job is not physical therapy.

3D imaging is cool but not required. I have seen 3D cat scan images and they are truly awesome but are not really needed for most situations. I don't see anything technology wise around the corner any time soon. They are now growing cartilage in labs but its at its infancy stage and crazy expensive still. I could see in the future growing custom part or improved regenerative injections but what we have now is pretty much the bread and butter of treatment.

You get a total shoulder if you have arthritis and wearing of the ends of the bone (the cartilage) where they articulate. If your rotator cuff is beat you get a reverse total. Get it done when the pain is your greatest complaint and effects you daily activity or sleep and you have tried all other options.

I personally would not go back to training like you did prior to this surgery as you are asking for trouble or the plastic parts to wear more quickly. This will lead to a revision surgery at some point. So again, I would only do it if I were truly hurting from arthritis have tried all other options like corticosteroid injections and physical therapy. What Ronnie Coleman is doing with his replaced joints is truly nuts and the last thing you should be doing.

People generally have good outcomes and most are pleased with their outcome. Yes, the best surgeon can still mess up but typically less than ideal results occur when people do not follow physical therapy protocols and restrictions given by the doctor. I have witnessed plenty patients skip out on PT and then blame the surgeon when in my opinion the surgery was done well and the patient did not do their part. No one says their outcome is bad because they fucked up, its just human nature. Weight lifting for gains or working a physical job is not physical therapy.

3D imaging is cool but not required. I have seen 3D cat scan images and they are truly awesome but are not really needed for most situations. I don't see anything technology wise around the corner any time soon. They are now growing cartilage in labs but its at its infancy stage and crazy expensive still. I could see in the future growing custom part or improved regenerative injections but what we have now is pretty much the bread and butter of treatment.
Good post and you are right that technologies such as lab grown bone and cartilage is still a pricey process but later on there just might be some breakthroughs to make this a lower cost process. Using material from your own body and grown in a lab should be a lot better than using plastic, ceramic or metal parts that can become problematic. I have a friend who had the total shoulder done and was not quite the same afterwards, so yes shoulder replacement is like a decade behind the knee and hip replacement tech.

My procedure will be with Duke University top shoulder Doc. Yes, it affects my sleep and my job as a firefighter. I’ve put it off till I can no longer. The humoral head is pretty bad with large osteophytes. The glenoid is the part that generally fails and he isn’t sure if he can do a ream and run procedure yet. If that’s the case I will have no restrictions. If however I have to have a glenoid put in I may. I definitely don’t wanna loose my career but I need help putting on an air pack now. Guys on the truck know they gotta get to me ASAP when shit goes down.
I’m just so nervous because you hear of successful procedures, but then terrible outcomes. Fingers crossed. I’ll rehab like a champ and take growth and TB500. Hopefully the outcome will be good.

I had a partial shoulder replacement(rean and run) as a full when i had it 11 years ago would have meant stopping lifting as there is a 25# limit on lifting and that is on a rare occasion as the plastic part they put on the inside on the glenoid would not take any real load. They started rehab a few hours after the surgery and stretching was to be done 4 times a day and that sucked real bad. The rest of the time there was no issue as far as pain for me. I was a journeyman machinist and was back to work a couple weeks later and only took pain meds for 5 days as i remember then tapered down for 2 days. Probably could have stopped pain meds the day of the surgery but i used them to cause my to think sitting around was fine. Was back in the gym after 8 days and trained everything the best i could without using the recovering arm. I know of a competitive powerlifter that was back to pressing 300 pounds with a partial replacement using a bench shirt in less then a year. another that was back to competing in the marital arts and the list goes on. You are always going to hear more about the bad surgeries. I have no complaints to the spine surgery i had 3 months after my shoulder. Faulty expectations lead to disappointment as does not doing the rehab. Dr Frederick Matsen did my surgery he invented the ream and run.

Yeah. People always suggest surgery for my knees. I'm like fuck that. I'll work around it and try to fix what's fixable.
I have a friend that had that done almost two years ago. He thinks his shoulder is more fucked now than before he had It done. He rehabbed aggressively and did all the right things but it just didn’t work out for him. Limited range of motion and muscular issues he never had before and he says it always hurts and just quit training altogether now. It might have been the surgeon who knows but his end result left him basically unable to train anywhere near his previous level. I feel bad for him he is really depressed over the whole thing. Just make sure your surgeon is reputable there are good ones out there but there are plenty that aren’t.

Yeah. People always suggest surgery for my knees. I'm like fuck that. I'll work around it and try to fix what's fixable.
I know some top surgeons where I live, one who is a pretty intense bodybuilder (doesn’t compete), but he has shoulder issues and he won’t let anyone touch it and believes working around the injury and rehab therapies are best based on what is available now.

Hips… that’s a different story. But he and the others I know detour patients on shoulder surgeries.

Sounds terrible, but it really comes down to quality of life and if the procedure will enhance the quality of your life enough to be worth it. Sounds like the OP is in good hands at Duke.

Here is what I got going on. First one was June of 2020 before SLAP tear surgery. As you can see from the October 2023 I have serious issues with the Humoral head with very little space in the glenoid area. I find this type thing interesting so I wanted to share.

Attachments

• IMG_1163.jpeg
    IMG_1163.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1164.jpeg
    IMG_1164.jpeg
    104.6 KB · Views: 5
I had a partial shoulder replacement(rean and run) as a full when i had it 11 years ago would have meant stopping lifting as there is a 25# limit on lifting and that is on a rare occasion as the plastic part they put on the inside on the glenoid would not take any real load. They started rehab a few hours after the surgery and stretching was to be done 4 times a day and that sucked real bad. The rest of the time there was no issue as far as pain for me. I was a journeyman machinist and was back to work a couple weeks later and only took pain meds for 5 days as i remember then tapered down for 2 days. Probably could have stopped pain meds the day of the surgery but i used them to cause my to think sitting around was fine. Was back in the gym after 8 days and trained everything the best i could without using the recovering arm. I know of a competitive powerlifter that was back to pressing 300 pounds with a partial replacement using a bench shirt in less then a year. another that was back to competing in the marital arts and the list goes on. You are always going to hear more about the bad surgeries. I have no complaints to the spine surgery i had 3 months after my shoulder. Faulty expectations lead to disappointment as does not doing the rehab. Dr Frederick Matsen did my surgery he invented the ream and run.
Thanks for sharing buddy.👊🏾

Every person i personally know that has had joint replacements all wish they would have done it sooner. They all, including me, put it off till long after it affected their quality of life.

Every person i personally know that has had joint replacements all wish they would have done it sooner. They all, including me, put it off till long after it affected their quality of life.
Putting it off for so long might mean even more issues that might impact surgery and post op recovery. I myself do my best to be careful and know my limits so that serious injury from being too reckless with training can be avoided. Already had a couple strikes on both shoulders and hoping not to push it.

Putting it off for so long might mean even more issues that might impact surgery and post op recovery. I myself do my best to be careful and know my limits so that serious injury from being too reckless with training can be avoided. Already had a couple strikes on both shoulders and hoping not to push it.
I understand. I spent probably at least a year with having my sleep interrupted before i had my shoulder replaced. Back training still went well before the surgery. Pressing movements were getting more and more pathetic.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131