over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Which martial art do you practice?

maximus88

Newbies
Bad time to ask (fuck this year) but in general..

I started out wrestling and jiu jitsu. After a lot of self defense situations in bad places I came to value boxing more than anything else, including muay thai. If we're bored we can discuss why. But everything has value and I would consider judo in the future - bjj's daddy ;)

What do you do (outside of pandemics) and how do you structure your training? Compete or mostly for fun/cardio/self defense?

Bad time to ask (fuck this year) but in general..

I started out wrestling and jiu jitsu. After a lot of self defense situations in bad places I came to value boxing more than anything else, including muay thai. If we're bored we can discuss why. But everything has value and I would consider judo in the future - bjj's daddy ;)

What do you do (outside of pandemics) and how do you structure your training? Compete or mostly for fun/cardio/self defense?

Love this conversation lol

When I was really young I did Karate (like 8-13) got up to like brown belt but didn’t enjoy it because there was no real striking/fighting/sparring.. Then at 15-16 I got into Muay Thai and LOVED it, did that for about 2 years and then stopped all together, wanted to get “huge” and started my first cycle at 18, a couple years of not knowing what I was doing and inconsistency etc I started partying and didn’t take anything serious for a few years more. Then at 28 (I’m 30 now) I got into BJJ, did that for a bit and while I loved it, and it humbled me like nothing else, I used to be that guy who saw a UFC fight go to the ground and think “Fuck that bullshit, stand up and strike!” But it was a great experience and I learned a lot, BUUUT the gym I went to wasn’t as organized as I had hoped and they advertised 2 striking classes a week and they weren’t available when I was there because again, lack of structure, which is a shame because the head coach has been top 3 at ADCC World’s several times and won ADCC Nationals 2-3 times... Great guy and coach and produces some animals, but I wanted a little more out of it than they could give at the time..

Not only that but I’m not looking to compete or anything but self defense is important to me, I’ve been in some shit situations and seen even shittier situations.. And to be 100% honest, BJJ isn’t the best stand alone for self defense at all.. Not even close. Obviously in a perfect world it would be some boxing/Muay Thai WITH some heavy basics in wrestling and take downs. But overall boxing or kick boxing/Muay Thai is where it’s at for me in that regard..

It obviously takes a lot of time and effort to be great in boxing or Muay Thai or BJJ etc. But the fact is that it takes YEARS unless you’re some phenom, to be DANGEROUS in BJJ. I’m no phenom but once I got the hang of things the Blue Belts had a harder time submitting me, these are guys who had 2+ years under their belts while I had 2-3 months. Don’t get me wrong, I was still getting worked, but I got the hang of defending myself and went from getting subbed 3-4 times in a 3-5 minute round to not getting subbed at all at times.. Meanwhile I know some guys who made it to Olympic trials after 2-3 years of boxing, and one of them started at like 26 years old, so no crazy athlete background just plain hard work and dedication. And I also feel that yea, if you’ve got some BJJ black belt who has some basic striking he might be able to take on a life long Muay Thai guy with the right moves (but we all saw what happened with Cub Swanson and Kron Gracie lol).. But I feel if you have a guy who’s only done solely BJJ seriously for self defense for 2 years and a guy who’s done Muay Thai or boxing seriously for 2 years, that MT or boxing guy is going to put some work on that BJJ guy, I don’t think it’ll be much of a competition if they had to “self defense” one another..

I love them all, but I really love the art of striking and even Eddie Bravo has said it on JRE podcast that BJJ isn’t the best self defense and is even worse with multiple attackers, that boxing or kickboxing/Muay Thai is what you want if you’re defending yourself like that and that he was even going to take some kickboxing lessons to get his striking up to par.

All that said, I FINALLY found another Muay Thai gym near me that has a serious coach who really knows his stuff and trains a couple Pro MMA guys and Muay Thai/Kickboxers and he goes to Thailand all the time to train with some of the best in the world. I plan on going there once this Covid shit dies down a bit more, they have weird requirements for certain gyms and all that so once it’s better I plan on going at least 3x a week.

Definitely agree that striking is way better for self defense in most situations. BJJ is a great sport and learning it can help overall for control, escaping mount, etc. But sucks to do on concrete and is really dumb to have somebodys friend ready to soccer kick your head.. Stick and move.

Thaiboxing is great. Elbows and knees are great tools. Less risky than throwing hands every time too.

Kicks destroy untrained opponents. However.. Never try to kick or knee a guy that can wrestle.. At least outside of sport. One foot on the ground is a death wish in that case.

I do muay thai as i enjoy the striking side of things more than the grappling. Getting older now so its mainly just for fun some pads and light (ish) sparring. Although that has all stopped during covid.

If you train MMA you will have everything covered. the 4oz gloves make a big difference as well, completely changes the boxing.

If you just want to be good on the street then I would say boxing + BJJ is a good combo to have. Maybe with a few months / years of muay thai thrown in so you have the option of elbows and knees, but you are not going to be throwing many kicks (which is the focus on proper muay thai).

I was boxer for 6 years , 75kg

Also have done wrestling , freestyle and greek roman

Respect

Dope

I was in Tang Soo Do for about 8 years starting in grade school , got into BJJ in 1994 for several years then just didn't have the time , when I got into LE and contract work I got into training in Krav Maga alot and it by far the most effective skill I've used.
In Law Enforcement the BJJ is very useful when trying to subdue a subject without causing major harm but I hate the idea of being totally occupied with on person and ending up on the ground where you are at a huge disadvantage if someone else decide to joint the party.
I still go train at a buddies BJJ gym and the police academy to give his bigger guys something different to look at as he only has a handful of guys in the 240lb+ range and they are all strickly ground fighters. At the academy I help teach in the officer survival portion which 99% of new LEO are SEVERALLY lacking in hands on traing.

I was in Tang Soo Do for about 8 years starting in grade school , got into BJJ in 1994 for several years then just didn't have the time , when I got into LE and contract work I got into training in Krav Maga alot and it by far the most effective skill I've used.
In Law Enforcement the BJJ is very useful when trying to subdue a subject without causing major harm but I hate the idea of being totally occupied with on person and ending up on the ground where you are at a huge disadvantage if someone else decide to joint the party.
I still go train at a buddies BJJ gym and the police academy to give his bigger guys something different to look at as he only has a handful of guys in the 240lb+ range and they are all strickly ground fighters. At the academy I help teach in the officer survival portion which 99% of new LEO are SEVERALLY lacking in hands on traing.

Im special forces , frogman

Yes krav maga is the best i practice last 5 years , have been in camp in israel for 3 weeks also

I learned to take handgun and knife from man aiming it at me

Sory for bad english , im at work so no time to write pretty hahaha

Respect

I’ve been into Bullshido for most of my life.

I am a black belt in Kyokushin / Kyokushinkai, sensei Masutatsu Oyama (famous) and
Donald I. Buck (infamous) Started when I was 16. $10 or $20 a month Back in 1969?
it was very difficult to find a dojo, they weren't on every street corner like they are now
or were. And they did not hand out black belts like pro cards :). Practiced outside on
a wooden deck, year round, overlooking San Francisco Bay. If anybody is interested I
will post up some magazine fotos. (I am in some) Loads of stories and wonderful
memories. As I have recalled here, it is what got me started weight training.

I am a black belt in Kyokushin / Kyokushinkai, sensei Masutatsu Oyama (famous) and
Donald I. Buck (infamous) Started when I was 16. $10 or $20 a month Back in 1969?
it was very difficult to find a dojo, they weren't on every street corner like they are now
or were. And they did not hand out black belts like pro cards :). Practiced outside on
a wooden deck, year round, overlooking San Francisco Bay. If anybody is interested I
will post up some magazine fotos. (I am in some) Loads of stories and wonderful
memories. As I have recalled here, it is what got me started weight training.

In for stories and pictures

Started out wrestling, then Kenpo, boxing, kickboxing. I LOVED kickboxing! I had a construction business but I worked as a bodyguard from 27 to 30/31. I really enjoyed it but once I had my first spine surgery at 29, I eventually lost a step and that wasn't acceptable to me, so I stopped doing that and focused on my business. I don't practice anymore due to all the spine surgeries I've had. I just try to stay in shape now. I am interested in Krav Maga...maybe one day.

But the Cobra Kai is my "nuclear option". Conventional options are Krav Maga and an FNX 45 Tactical.

View attachment 120760

I’m a BJJ guy, but used to strike when I was a kid. I prefer no gi over gi, but then I can’t wear my fancy belt.

That is an impressive accomplishment Dave considering most people that start bjj quit after getting a blue belt. Its like getting a blue belt automatically means your a certified bjj expert or something. On aside note, You should try to set up a IBJJF style match with the "black belt" Mike O'hearn. Think Mr. o'hearn would go for that?

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonyfits
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131