over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Retaining size with low weight/high reps

Sacario

Registered
Newbies
I'm sure it's not a one size fits all but has anyone had luck with putting down the heavy weights and been able to maintain size using less weight and less compound exercises. As I get older my joints are hurting more and more. I'm to the point I'm happy with my look and just want to maintain it. I can stay the same same size with just trt but I've always lifted pretty heavy in the 6 to 12 range on compound lifts. This past week I had a really good work out mainly using cables and machines in the 15 to 40 rep range. Was just curious if I continue you this is it possible to hold onto what size I have or should I add a heavy week once a month.

I have found that using lower weights can stave off muscle loss to a degree. But given enough years lighter weights with higher volume will still allow muscle loss. You can't beat father time.

I think you should focus on one heavy movement for groups such as the back, legs or chest and the rest isolation on lighter weights except that I would place this complex basic movement like squats or heavy rowing etc. at the end or in the middle of the training
sort of like pre exhaust? i do one heavy exercise for each muscle group and 2-3 more around 12-20 reps range and it work so far.

IMO size is 95% a result of diet. I don’t lift heavy anymore and most of my rep ranges are 12-20 and just aiming to get a good pump. My arms are bigger now at 240lbs than they were when I was 280lbs on a few grams of T and lifting to failure with powerlifting poundages.

I think you should focus on one heavy movement for groups such as the back, legs or chest and the rest isolation on lighter weights except that I would place this complex basic movement like squats or heavy rowing etc. at the end or in the middle of the training
Sounds like a good plan. Appreciate it

Yeah, when I do squats now I always do leg extensions first. Not only does it pre-exhaust the muscles but it also warms your body up and makes you less likely to pull a muscle and get hurt. I think you still have to train in the 8 to 12 range if you want to try to maintain some. Just dont have to do it on every set.

sort of like pre exhaust? i do one heavy exercise for each muscle group and 2-3 more around 12-20 reps range and it work so far.
If you’re throwing in one heavy top set to failure, and then a few more really intense but lighter sets, I doubt you’ll have much of a hard time maintaining size.

Yeah, when I do squats now I always do leg extensions first. Not only does it pre-exhaust the muscles but it also warms your body up and makes you less likely to pull a muscle and get hurt. I think you still have to train in the 8 to 12 range if you want to try to maintain some. Just dont have to do it on every set.
Not only do I do extensions first to warm up, I always train hams before quads to get a LOT of blood in and around the knee prior to my heavier compound movements. It makes the squats feel better and more stable too

Not only do I do extensions first to warm up, I always train hams before quads to get a LOT of blood in and around the knee prior to my heavier compound movements. It makes the squats feel better and more stable too
Yeah, I do the same now. When I was young I would go straight to squats right away when my muscles were fresh so as to be able to lift the heaviest weight.

I'm sure it's not a one size fits all but has anyone had luck with putting down the heavy weights and been able to maintain size using less weight and less compound exercises. As I get older my joints are hurting more and more. I'm to the point I'm happy with my look and just want to maintain it. I can stay the same same size with just trt but I've always lifted pretty heavy in the 6 to 12 range on compound lifts. This past week I had a really good work out mainly using cables and machines in the 15 to 40 rep range. Was just curious if I continue you this is it possible to hold onto what size I have or should I add a heavy week once a month.
I started TRT at ~50 and I look better now at 67 than I did when I started, actually better as I grew more muscle, and not muscle memory as it had nothing to remember 😉

I never abandoned my rep range as I got older and I have never had what one would call an injury and I started when I was 18, just lucky I guess. (Wish I had more to show for all those years.)

I don’t have a clue what this higher rep range will do for you because I have never personally tried it so give it a go, can’t hurt, might help.

I’m with the others here in pre-exhausting the muscle group prior to really hitting it. I’ve always used 6-8 reps when going heavy, and 12-15 if using lighter weights. Also on the lighter sets, I’ll be struggling to get that 12th or 15th rep as well. At least that’s what I like to do…

Cage

First of all focus on execution, check how Justin Shier trains and you will have an idea.

Literature speaks about 5-30 reps is the hypertrophy range.

I rarely go for 5-10 reps, and usually only as last exercise and just few movements.

I do working set, back off, sometimes add an intensifier (when bulking is easier since more energy) and stay in the 10-15 15-20 reps most of the time but i fail at those reps.
I do mainly dropsets or rest pause start from 10 reps (10+10+10, 10 rest 10 rest etc)

Had similar problem to the OP and now it's solved, thanks to higher reps and more control on weight.

Yes you can hold onto your size and you could even get more growth from changing approaches. Now there are many variables to this though. Training higher rep ranges doesn't mean training less intense. A lot of guys stick to low reps and when changing they start to feel the weight more and get more out of their training in many ways. It's all about execution and intensity. Really focus on feeling and controlling the weight with the targeted muscle and taking your time and still going to failure (or close to).

I would still train relatively heavy but there is no need to be going to true failure for low reps as you get older. I would include 1 movement (approx 2 sets for each body part that are heavier weight and less reps (like you have always done) but change the rest to higher rep ranges (15+). I would put the lower rep movement about 1/2 to 3/4 way into your training day. Nutrition will dictate how much size you hold onto and if fullness is a concern you could even up carbs (with water) around training to ensure you are staying fuller.

Another idea is to go lower weight/higher rep on the compounds, but heavier/moderate on the isolations. Time under tension, as well

Well as Jaxino already said according to the research the hypertrophy range is 5-30 reps with no meaningful differences in results (for hypertrophy purposes) between low and high reps provided the sets are taken very close to or to failure so YES you can maintain and even gain muscle doing so.

Well as Jaxino already said according to the research the hypertrophy range is 5-30 reps with no meaningful differences in results (for hypertrophy purposes) between low and high reps provided the sets are taken very close to or to failure so YES you can maintain and even gain muscle doing so.
Heavy is relative squat 405 x 30 that’s heavy and intense

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
LoneWolf22
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner