over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

ABS

mass_chaos

Registered
To train or not to train. I have heard and read many times that abs are genetics and no need to train them. They say you get all the training abs need during your normal workout. On the other hand, for every article read or person I heard say this, I heard the same number of people or read the same number of articles that say the exact opposite. I have learned a lot since joining this forum and I respect the opinions of a lot of serious competitors here. I was wondering what is your take on the whole thing?

i dont train them.. at all.

it might be advisible if you have lower back problems or stability issues.. but otherwise i would say there is no need to train them. They get plenty of work doing other exercises.

I'm also interested in everyone's answers to this.

If you do believe in training them, what exercises do you do?

If you don't believe in training them because you believe they get enough work through other exercises....name those exercises.

Thanks guys!

I'm also interested in everyone's answers to this.

If you do believe in training them, what exercises do you do?

If you don't believe in training them because you believe they get enough work through other exercises....name those exercises.

Thanks guys!

I'm glad that i'm not the only one that wonders about this. From what I gather pretty much every exercise requires you to use your abs as stabilizers. The question is, is that enough of course along with great diet.

i dont train them.. at all.

it might be advisible if you have lower back problems or stability issues.. but otherwise i would say there is no need to train them. They get plenty of work doing other exercises.

I don't train them either, and agree with the above.

I would advise beginners to do some ab training though.

If you train heavy and hard, you ARE training abs! pre-contest I do them once a week just like another bodypart. I think the key is to train them like any other bodypart.

I don't train them either, and agree with the above.

I would advise beginners to do some ab training though.

Shelby, thanks for the response!! You are one of the guys here that I hold in high regards. Can you elaborate on what you consider a beginner?

If you train heavy and hard, you ARE training abs! pre-contest I do them once a week just like another bodypart. I think the key is to train them like any other bodypart.

tflexxin, Thanks man. When you train your abs, how do you go about it? I mean, do you go heavy weight, no weight, high rep or dont count rep and hammer them for a certain time? BTW, I saw your pics and you are quite impressive. How tall are you?

Shelby, thanks for the response!! You are one of the guys here that I hold in high regards. Can you elaborate on what you consider a beginner?

Defining beginner is a bit tricky because I see people all the time in the gym that have been training for years that I would still consider a beginner, lol.

But if they are training intelligently, progressively, focusing on big free weight movements, etc. I would say a beginner is someone with with less than a year or so of experience w/ weights. Ab training should probably be included until you're at the "intermediate" stage though, which for most will take a bit longer.
Again a definition is required (for intermediate)... and you could go with amount of weight lifted, and say that until you have at least a 1RM of 1.5x bw bench, 2x bw squat, 2.5xbw dl, you are still an "intermediate". (or for females, around 1x bw bench, 1.5x bw squat, and 2x bw dl).
These are just rough numbers though as genetic variation will make some be better benchers than deadlifters, better squatters than benchers, etc.

For a strength athlete (strongman, powerlifter,etc.) I would never stop training abs.

Defining beginner is a bit tricky because I see people all the time in the gym that have been training for years that I would still consider a beginner, lol.

But if they are training intelligently, progressively, focusing on big free weight movements, etc. I would say a beginner is someone with with less than a year or so of experience w/ weights. Ab training should probably be included until you're at the "intermediate" stage though, which for most will take a bit longer.
Again a definition is required (for intermediate)... and you could go with amount of weight lifted, and say that until you have at least a 1RM of 1.5x bw bench, 2x bw squat, 2.5xbw dl, you are still an "intermediate". (or for females, around 1x bw bench, 1.5x bw squat, and 2x bw dl).
These are just rough numbers though as genetic variation will make some be better benchers than deadlifters, better squatters than benchers, etc.

For a strength athlete (strongman, powerlifter,etc.) I would never stop training abs.

Thanks again.

Hey GymRat, I remember your thread about being lean enough in 5 weeks. Bro, you really dug deep and got the jobe done. AWESOME job.

I agree with the above posters and Shelby is correct, there is a guy at my gym who trains his abs every day, crunches to rope crunches to decline bence sit-ups etc. and he trains his abs at least for 30 minutes each day. Guess what he has no ab muscles to show.

We do work our abs on a daily basis, look at the exercises you do for your other bodyparts and you will see that at no time can your abs be relaxed.

I think genetics play a factor, and it's individual. I for one am someone who should train abs...

I always find the best recipe for great abdominals is made in the kitchen...eat your way to defined abs! Training is the easy part!

I train them, just for overall core strength, but truth is, we all have abs. Eat lite and lots of cardio, they will show.
Now, If you want Cutler or Coleman abs, yeah, you probably need to train them.

I am not an advanced lifter... I recently started training abs twice a week - heavy. They are certainly getting stronger so I am going to stick with it for now. I was advised that ab training will improve your other core lifts because as others have mentioned you use your abs in pretty much every exercise. I stick to the weighted rope crunches, weighted declines, leg lifts, etc etc... maybe 6-9 sets.

My goals are to gain mass but to also improve my general athleticism and strength.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bradyfan127
NapsGear