over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Antivirus software?

BOOMSHAKER

Kilo Klub Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Kaiser, I would like to get rid of Mcafee on my daughters laptop.(paid subcription) She has one more year at home before she hits college.

Is there anything out there free like Mcafee, that will prevent spyware, viruses and pop up blockers? I just need it for a year like I said and just for her Laptop.

BOOMSHAKER said:
Kaiser, I would like to get rid of Mcafee on my daughters laptop.(paid subcription) She has one more year at home before she hits college.

Is there anything out there free like Mcafee, that will prevent spyware, viruses and pop up blockers? I just need it for a year like I said and just for her Laptop.

In the protection world, unfortunately, you get what you pay for. Although there are free trials. The three I would recommend are F-Secure, AVP and Sophos. F-Secure has a good package as they charge a home user 1 time for up to 3 computers. Considering it is only $79 for 1 to 3 computers, its a bargain if you own more than one PC.

http://www.f-secure.com/estoreusa/

You really do get what you pay for. Consideration has to be made for her, that if she gets some type of infection on her laptop, loses data or cannot finish a term paper in time, you have the possibilty of losing alot more.

Thank you SIR!

Try SpyBot-search and destroy..its free.
And AVG anti virus...its free as well.
Both can be found at download.com

DaRooster said:
Try SpyBot-search and destroy..its free.
And AVG anti virus...its free as well.
Both can be found at download.com

Nice, thank you

I think the two best freebies are AVG and Avast. AVG allows you to schedule scans whenever you want while Avast updates itself every time you boot up the computer. My daughter kept cancelling the update on AVG, so I fixed her by installing Avast. The computer is pretty well tied up until the update finishes!

These are both just anti-virus problems, though ... You still need to run Spyware and Adware programs. Good luck!

I ran avast last night but there were a bunch of files it told me that it could not read. I wonder why?

BOOMSHAKER said:
I ran avast last night but there were a bunch of files it told me that it could not read. I wonder why?

Certain files are locked for writing and if Avast does not know how to unlock them, or scan while locked then it will return an error. Pagefile.sys and a hand full of others should be the only thing it cannot read most of the time. If you find that there are alot, it may be an error in your file system indexing. To remedy this open a cmd prompt by going to Start/Run type cmd and hit enter. This is actually good to run on a normal basis every couple of months to assure you will not lose data.

Type the folowing in the cmd prompt:

chkdsk c: /r

You can do all drive letters as you can see by changing the c: to whatever drive you want to run it on (besides optical/laser media like CDRoms).

If you do drive C: and it is your system drive it will say it cannot run chkdsk while the system is booted and must be restarted to run. type "y" when it asks you if you want to run it on next reboot and reboot your system. Again there is more than likely nothing wrong with your file system but this is very good to run from time to time.

What were the files anyway?

Last edited:
I think Trend micro's Anti-virus and Spysweeper are the best value. Both companys TM & webroot have a crazy ammount of man hours dedicated to software engineering. I can get either for about $8.00

Dave, TM is a good product as I have used it in the past. (I can't stand webroot however). But it only has the ability to detect about 30% of Rootkits and when it does, you have to remove them manually as it currently has no mechanism for disabling at this time. Hopefully soon however since, like I said, they do have a nice product.

As Bell Helmet once said in the 80s, if you have an $8 head, wear an $8 helmet. :D

can any body say which is the best antivirus software for mobile phones preferable it is an unlocked phone

You have 5 posts so far. And you have used 4 of them to plug your website mobile-unlocker. NON of your posts have anything to do with bodybuilding or fitness thus far! This thread is 3 years old but you figured you would post in it and replug your site again huh?

You have 5 posts so far. And you have used 4 of them to plug your website mobile-unlocker. NON of your posts have anything to do with bodybuilding or fitness thus far! This thread is 3 years old but you figured you would post in it and replug your site again huh?

Banned ;)

In the protection world, unfortunately, you get what you pay for. Although there are free trials. The three I would recommend are F-Secure, AVP and Sophos. F-Secure has a good package as they charge a home user 1 time for up to 3 computers. Considering it is only $79 for 1 to 3 computers, its a bargain if you own more than one PC.

http://www.f-secure.com/estoreusa/

You really do get what you pay for. Consideration has to be made for her, that if she gets some type of infection on her laptop, loses data or cannot finish a term paper in time, you have the possibilty of losing alot more.

I downloaded F-Secure. Thanks!

I haven't used it in a year or so because 7.0 used to really hang a machine. I am hoping they got it fixed. I have been using Kaspersky, which is the best of the scan engines in F-Secure, but that seems to be slowing machines now too, especially Vista when transferring files over a network. Bwelieve it or not, McAfee has gotten much better on the Enterprise side. I still hate their home user product, but the comercial one seems to run well, and seems to be one of the smoothest on Vista. I don't know how you would be able to get it unless you ordered in volume or pirated it however as I do not see where it shows for sale to public. :( I still do not like Symantec.

F-Secure is great. Liking it alot.

Great I'll have to give it a shot again. They probably debugged why it was causing boxes to hang as I sent in a couple reports to them about it years ago. Anyway, I will give it a shot like I said. Thanks for the feedback.

Im running it on my Acer AspireOne Netbook. Works well and the OS speeds along. :D

Dave, TM is a good product as I have used it in the past. (I can't stand webroot however). But it only has the ability to detect about 30% of Rootkits and when it does, you have to remove them manually as it currently has no mechanism for disabling at this time. Hopefully soon however since, like I said, they do have a nice product.

As Bell Helmet once said in the 80s, if you have an $8 head, wear an $8 helmet. :D

I am no computer guy, but been running webroot for couple of years with no problems(viruses,etc.) could you explain in laymans terms what you don' like about it.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Itisisaysme510
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws