advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

any one here take ACE and/or ISSA course?

Dave_19

FOUNDING Member / Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Im considering getting one of the two. I figured its possible someone here has both certifications and wanted to know in comparison, which would you consider better. I know they are both good ACE seems cheaper but harder to pass.

does one or the other look better on a resume? Which is considered harder to pass? Just any input on the 2 certs is aprecieated. thanks.

I did the ISSA back in 1995...it has came along ways since then.

I prefer ISSA over ACE. But hell if you can afford it, do both.

I want the get the ACE certification, it's the cheapest, and where I work they just want that then they help you get a better certification.

Just wondering if anyone has taken it before, what's on it, do I need to buy the stupdy guides, etc...

Thanks

ACE and ACSM are the only two nationally accredited certifications, so ACE is preferred over ISSA. I am ACE certified. The test is a difficult one, but if you've been studying this shit for years like me then you can pass. When I took the test, most of the people there were on their 2nd or 3rd retake and most had also taken college courses to prepare. I just ordered the home study material and passed the test the first time. Like I said though, I've been doing this for years (since age 15, I'm 30 now).

well

I looked into both.. and ISSA has come a long way.. it may not be as recognized but, it's getting there.. ACSM is obviously the best. If you take ACE a ton of people will recognize your certification. I chose ISSA after looking at both of the courses and it just seemed to have better information for what I was looking for.

To pass the ACE do you think it's necessary to get the home study guide?

And on that note, anyone have one they used for the test they'd like to sell??

ACE

I used to teach the ACE Personal Trainer course.

If you'd like to find out a bit moe about it, feel free to PM me.

Hmmm what about NASM. I hear thats one of the best, and im pretty sure its nationally accredited.

Find out what the gyms in your area are accepting. It doesnt have to be accredited. After all who the fuck decides what constitutes an 'accredited' institution, and why? And as with everything else, its all about money. If a fitness certification association offers 'benefits' to a certian line of gyms (ex: Golds or Ballys or Worlds ...) then they will accept them-otherwise not.
The whole thing is a fucking joke.
But of course in the end a marketable, accredited, association like ACE would probably be in your best interest.

TooPowerful4u said:
Hmmm what about NASM. I hear thats one of the best, and im pretty sure its nationally accredited.

NASM is definetly the best.....you can go all the way to a masters with it....

Accredation

Mike,

A lot of times the value of a so-called accredited course, is that someone will recognize it so that the trainer can get liability insurance.

There's a real question as to whether what's taught is of much use in the real world, but the insurance issue is one to consider. If you take a course, then can't get insured, it can be pretty hard (and risky) to train others in a club setting. A lot of clubs won't allow it because then they're the ones assumming the liability risk.

I've been the fitness director for one of the large clubs in the country for quite some time now. In our Clubs that are affiliated with Hospitals we only accept. ACSM, ACE, NSCA. These are the only ones recognized by colleges and Hospitals. Quite frankly these are the ones that you know the people know their shit.
Nasm and ISSA are good, but I'd only hire these folks if they came with great references or quality work experience.

Re: Accredation

Dad said:
Mike,

A lot of times the value of a so-called accredited course, is that someone will recognize it so that the trainer can get liability insurance.

There's a real question as to whether what's taught is of much use in the real world, but the insurance issue is one to consider. If you take a course, then can't get insured, it can be pretty hard (and risky) to train others in a club setting. A lot of clubs won't allow it because then they're the ones assumming the liability risk.

Hey Dad-

Many clubs in my area (Balt, MD) will hire trainers with NO
certifications at all.
As far as individual training insurance (your own business),
you dont need to be certified either. But if not the rate is higher.
Go to any internet site for training insurance and you can see for yourself.

Me

I have me ACE -- would also wished I got the ISSA.

Yuo're lucky

Mike,

You guys have a better deal then we do!

Here in the midwest "Cow Country," no facility will touch you if you can't provide insurance. Several years ago this wasn't the case, and you could just have people sign waivers. Now, at least at the chain-type places (Bally's, etc) they make you go through their training, AND then require some certification within another 90 days.

I haven't worked as a personal trainer for several years, and obviously things have changed!

MikeS is right about the fact that it really is all bullshit. The fact a person is certified really doesn't mean a thing. Some of the stupidest shit I've ever heard about training came from people with reputable certifications. As far as marketability though (which is what it's all about), ACE and ACSM can't be beat. They are simply the best and again, the ONLY two that are nationally accredited.

Right on BBJ.
Dad, yes at Ballys too, I did an in-house 'fundamentals' PT course. I could have taught the class, but the guy teaching was a 'master' trainer and really touched on alot of stuff like the sales aspect of PT that was valuable. As far as straight physiology and kinesology I knew as much or more than him and he knew it, but he did know his shit. Actually you got CECs (continuing education credits) for taking the week long course.
These local gyms have the same 90day 'intent' for certification, or you will be dismissed. Yeah, right. Noone has ever been fired, and for damn sure if you are a good trainer and sales person (a big part of PT at my gym) you arent going anywhere no matter Certification or not!

I did ISSA and it wasn't hard but it wasn't easy. I have a friend and she did the ACE telling me this and that blah, blah blah. She struggled and I looked at it and it seemed like less material. But this is just my OPINION, not fact. I like ISSA cause you can easily access online and bring up your accredidations without jumping through hoops. Not that I will do it now that I have figured out what I want to do. Maybe for some side work, but my state doesn't require one to be licensed. Hell here you don't have to be licensed to be a massage therapist either. You just can't ask for as much money per setion.

NSCA is also nationally acredited. You can't work in a Big ten college without a CSCS.
I've met some real morons who are certified by every one of the ones we've talked about. I met a girl with a BS in Exercise Physiology and her ACSM who couldn't calculate Max Heart Rate. I've also met guys with ISSA and no college who could train circles around guys with Master's degrees.
Do what ever you need to to get the job. Just make sure your number one priority is taking care of your client. I've hired several guys like us who put 55 year old women on the incline bench and are amazed when they drop the barbell.
If you care about your clients and help them get results. You will always have a job, their referrals will keep you busy all year round.
Dave, I've read a lot of your posts and you definately have the know how. I wish you the best of luck.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear