over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

career advise

Switched careers to the oilfield only took me 5 years to move up from floor hand to directional driller and now make over 300K and I was 38 when I decided to try it but you have to be able to go with the up and downs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try being a firefighter. Work 8 days a month and get paid good money. Also kick ass retirement and benny's.

Do what makes you happy bro. Working as CO has its ups and downs. Before my brother was a cop he was CO. He didn't mind the job.

I can't help but mention how much I love reading a post where someone insults someone else by pointing out a spelling error. Most of us can probably say that we don't sit down and proof read every reply before we hit submit. If I was writing an exam paper I would but on a bodybuilding forum I couldn't be bothered.
I must be having a shitty day.

Go to your local union hall and see if they have any apprentice positions available. My apprentices make 40,000 starting pay

Oh. I am IBEW. Starting salary as an apprentice is 50% of your final wage. Plus they pay you to earn a degree. I recommend it

Correctional officer is a great job. You wont always be on the 3 - 11 shift. You get post and bid which allows you to pick where you want to work and the shift. In California , they make about 83,000 a year now, more then most police officers in the area, and can retire early. New York pays their co's very nice as well.

Switched careers to the oilfield only took me 5 years to move up from floor hand to directional driller and now make over 300K and I was 38 when I decided to try it but you have to be able to go with the up and downs

Where and what company? I have a hard time believing that. Over 300k/year, c'mon man

Really went from driller to directional driller with a $800 a day pay plus $1000 month truck and $3800 month salary and $45 a per diem, plus have no reason to lie about anything worked my ass off to get we're I'm at bro

Really went from driller to directional driller with a $800 a day pay plus $1000 month truck and $3800 month salary and $45 a per diem, plus have no reason to lie about anything worked my ass off to get we're I'm at bro

Wasn't accusing you of lying, that's just a large salary. Congratulations on your achievement. To the OP, not sure where you are located but in the south there are MANY opportunities in the chemical plants and refineries.

It's cool I also work a lot of days away from home so I carry a while gym and my mountain bike with me all the time, worked over 290 days last year

I'm in a similar situation, almost 33 years old and looking for a complete career change.

I thought of LE too.....Cops where I live start around $80k, with some guys earning $150k after a few years. An instructor at the academy I went to managed to earn $420k with overtime and all of his various bonuses (for having a degree, being fluent in a foreign language that is useful, being able to ride a motorcycle, etc you get a small percentage tacked on to your salary; ex. language is 5% increase).
I wanted it badly but they passed on me because of my work history (30 years old at the time of academy with only my own business as work history after college; they seemed to think it was fishy that I only did that for 10 years or that I didn't pay enough taxes or some BS).
I would never suggest it if you weren't interested in doing that type of work though. You really have to choose something that you are interested in.

I looked into fire as well.... all the firefighters I know are extremely happy with their job, pay and benefits are very good, you work very few total days per month because you are paid to sleep at firehouse, and millions of other benefits it would take pages to write. The only downside is how competitive it is. So many applicants for so few positions. Becoming a paramedic increased your chances, but is more schooling and still tough to get in.

The medical field seems to be where its at. Nursing is a great field, as others mentioned before me. I know a few people that went that route and are very happy. So little schooling compared to other med jobs with high pay. Many opportunities to advance too, an old college friend of mine is going to be a nurse anesthetist (can't believe I spelled it right on the first try!) and they make some serious loot (200k where he's at in Idaho!).
Nurse Practitioner is 2 years I think, but so is Physicians Assistant....they are very similar, and some schools are combining them now. I like the idea of PA just because the name doesn't have nursing in it.... sounds petty and immature, but I never liked the idea of being called a nurse no matter how good of a job it is.

I am actually considering joining the Air Force to do their MD program. I always was interested in becoming a doctor but couldn't afford it. I have two more years left before I am too old to join up and do their program. That is something to look into if you want to do some serious schooling but are afraid of what it might cost. The armed forces pay for it all and you owe them some years of service when it is all done.... I believe the army is ten years, AF I think is 8.

A few friends are in the union and operate heavy equipment. They all started at $45 an hour and there is tons of room to move up it seems. Crane operators can make serious money. They are all telling me to give it a shot. If you are into that type of work maybe you should check out your local union. Sometimes I wish I didn't bother with college and just took a shot at LE/Fire right away, then joined the union if neither of those worked.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I'm in a similar situation, almost 33 years old and looking for a complete career change.

I thought of LE too.....Cops where I live start around $80k, with some guys earning $150k after a few years. An instructor at the academy I went to managed to earn $420k with overtime and all of his various bonuses (for having a degree, being fluent in a foreign language that is useful, being able to ride a motorcycle, etc you get a small percentage tacked on to your salary; ex. language is 5% increase).
I wanted it badly but they passed on me because of my work history (30 years old at the time of academy with only my own business as work history after college; they seemed to think it was fishy that I only did that for 10 years or that I didn't pay enough taxes or some BS).
I would never suggest it if you weren't interested in doing that type of work though. You really have to choose something that you are interested in.

I looked into fire as well.... all the firefighters I know are extremely happy with their job, pay and benefits are very good, you work very few total days per month because you are paid to sleep at firehouse, and millions of other benefits it would take pages to write. The only downside is how competitive it is. So many applicants for so few positions. Becoming a paramedic increased your chances, but is more schooling and still tough to get in.

The medical field seems to be where its at. Nursing is a great field, as others mentioned before me. I know a few people that went that route and are very happy. So little schooling compared to other med jobs with high pay. Many opportunities to advance too, an old college friend of mine is going to be a nurse anesthetist (can't believe I spelled it right on the first try!) and they make some serious loot (200k where he's at in Idaho!).
Nurse Practitioner is 2 years I think, but so is Physicians Assistant....they are very similar, and some schools are combining them now. I like the idea of PA just because the name doesn't have nursing in it.... sounds petty and immature, but I never liked the idea of being called a nurse no matter how good of a job it is.

I am actually considering joining the Air Force to do their MD program. I always was interested in becoming a doctor but couldn't afford it. I have two more years left before I am too old to join up and do their program. That is something to look into if you want to do some serious schooling but are afraid of what it might cost. The armed forces pay for it all and you owe them some years of service when it is all done.... I believe the army is ten years, AF I think is 8.

A few friends are in the union and operate heavy equipment. They all started at $45 an hour and there is tons of room to move up it seems. Crane operators can make serious money. They are all telling me to give it a shot. If you are into that type of work maybe you should check out your local union. Sometimes I wish I didn't bother with college and just took a shot at LE/Fire right away, then joined the union if neither of those worked.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

very good reply

any idea what specific medical jobs you can get in 2 years or less schooling? being 30, the idea of waiting 3 plus year and being 33 before i start a career is not appealing,,2 i can probably do.

also, with the medical jobs im assuming if i live on east coast, i can apply to a job at any hospital and go inerview and have a good chance? i really wanna get out of maryland ,been here all my life, but need some way to suppor myself. dont want to move to cali etc and work at walmart, lol

also, how do i find out about uniions in my area? and i am guessing with a union, there is no chance to travel, u work where your union is, correct?

Registered Nurse, Radiology Technician, Respiratory Therapist, Massage Therapist, Radiation Therapist, Diagnostic Medical Sonographers, Cardiovascular Technician, Dental Hygienists, Physician Assistants and Veterinary Technician are all 2 year programs.

Don't get hung up on the time thing though.... another year or two is nothing compared to the rest of your life. The Nursing and PA thing are good gigs because you can work after two years, spend some time earning money for a while, then go for more schooling to advance further once you are already established.

There's different demand in different areas obviously, but for the most part almost all areas of the US are in need of nurses, doctors, and PA's (I'm not sure what the current demand is for the other jobs I listed, but I'm pretty sure some of them are very badly needed).
You don't have to worry about being stuck where you are at now.

Google search unions in your area. For example, the equipment operating union around me is the operating engineers union. But you could search for electricians unions or whatever else you might be interested in. From what I know, once you join your local union there is very limited movement within your unions territory. If you move and want to be in the union again, most of them will let you transfer as long as they are not competing unions (so out of state moves are usually ok). Worst case you have to go test at the new union and you won't lose much time getting settled into the new one as long as you know what you are doing.

lol.. all these people getting paid bloated pensions and retirement benefits.

getting paid to not work.. sounds reaaaaally sustainable.

a city close to where I live paid a few of their police sgt.'s 250k a year...yep, just the sgt.'s ...not lieutenants, not captains.. anyways, city is now bankrupt, and everything is fucked up beyond all recognition.

ever wonder how the US has over 100 trillion in unfunded liabilities? well, now you know lol.. I guess get in while the getting is good, because the pain train is headed our way full speed, and the breaks are broken.

put all that money that you 'earned' by doing nothing into something that is adjusted for (hyper)inflation

I'm 37 with felony(steroids) and am desperately trying to find new career path. I was in clinicals to be lab tech when I got indicted but I loved it. Only took 18 months and was planning on going back to school and hospital I interned with had offered me a job with benefit of paying for me to continue my education. Since felony I've been stuck in low level labor heavy jobs. Currently working water/fire mitigation which in itself isn't bad job but work a ridiculous amount of hours, very erratic hours and very stressful so want out as soon as possible. Look into the medical route. It's going to have same downfalls as any job but can always find work. I've worked corrections and it's easy job but very unfulfilling and your around worse of what society has to offer all day. I had guys try to bite my fingers off and could go on for hour about all the fucked up stuff I saw.

I'm 37 with felony(steroids) and am desperately trying to find new career path. I was in clinicals to be lab tech when I got indicted but I loved it. Only took 18 months and was planning on going back to school and hospital I interned with had offered me a job with benefit of paying for me to continue my education. Since felony I've been stuck in low level labor heavy jobs. Currently working water/fire mitigation which in itself isn't bad job but work a ridiculous amount of hours, very erratic hours and very stressful so want out as soon as possible. Look into the medical route. It's going to have same downfalls as any job but can always find work. I've worked corrections and it's easy job but very unfulfilling and your around worse of what society has to offer all day. I had guys try to bite my fingers off and could go on for hour about all the fucked up stuff I saw.

Does pretty much every job out there do a background check now?

I was always curious about this because I know two people that have been working their entire lives in positions that required bachelors degrees, which neither of these guys have. They lied on their resumes and no one ever checked. I always wondered if that were possible when it came to criminal records as well. Its always bothered me that people with records have trouble finding work. How the hell are they supposed to stay out of trouble if they can't get jobs?

Is a lab tech similiar to a medical technologist? Just curious how long ago was your felony? Sucks that its still affecting your life now after doing time. I wish roids were legal to possess in the US like it is in the UK.

I will echo what many others here said about the medical field.

I went to nursing school after the Marine Corps at 25 and I was one of the younger ones in the class. I actually did most of my gen eds when I was in an ex phys program but left it for nursing for the same reasons you stated. Many nurses get into the profession as a second career.

With your undergrad degree you could find an accelerated BSN program and finish in 2 years or less. A BSN is not required but in this day in age gives you an advantage at many of the bigger academic medical centers.

Nursing has tons of pathways to move laterally if you want to mix it up every few years or find you don't like a particular field. I spent most of my time in an ED before a SICU now.

The money is good but you will work hard. There is usually weekends and holidays required in any position and sometimes the dreaded 7p-7a shift especially when you are new. But the ability to move around and move up with increased education is what drew me in. I have 2 years left in grad school for an NP program and am glad I took the advice of friends back then to get into the field because I never would have considered it otherwise.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws