over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Did I get Ripped Off?

Amino_man

Registered
I just bought an external hard drive that was suppose to be 1.5 TB but when I plugged it in, my pc read 931 GB. Shouldn't this be 1500 GB? :action-s:

damn bro you are asking wrong question in wrong site. i can ask my wife but she is not home at the moment

I just bought an external hard drive that was suppose to be 1.5 TB but when I plugged it in, my pc read 931 GB. Shouldn't this be 1500 GB? :action-s:

Well, I just got off the phone with the company I bought the hard drive from and they said yes, I was sent the wrong hard drive. It still baffles me as to why a 1 TB hard drive shows up as 931 GB tho...

It should be 1024 GB which is a difference of 93 GB!!! :action-s:

damn bro you are asking wrong question in wrong site. i can ask my wife but she is not home at the moment

Sorry, I thought I was under the "computer, software and technology forum." I do apprech you asking your wife tho. just for shits and giggles.

i asked my brother hes a computer genius, he said it should be in the 1000's not that low.. he said for you to return it

Sorry, I thought I was under the "computer, software and technology forum." I do apprech you asking your wife tho. just for shits and giggles.

Yes, the the make & model number of the drive will tell you. Sorry for the response from the newbie.

Thanks guys. It is strange that a "NEW" hard drive would come with so much 3rd party software on it that it would take up 93GB. It says there is 931 GB available so the heard drive had to have been 1 TB because the next smaller size is a 750 GB correct?

damn man thats weird... 93gb is kinda big, being used by 3rd party softwares... but damn a tb... lol that'll last you a lifetime

it's actually not even remotely uncommon.

1GB to a HardDrive is 1,000,000,000 bytes
1GB to the OD is 1,073,741,824 bytes

HDD 1TB = OS 931.322GB

So in effect, it's the same reason a pound of feathers weighs more than a pound of gold.

p.s. - The 1.5TB drive you get will actually show up as 1,397GB

Thanks everyone. I will make sure I come back to this thread when my new hard drive arrives to make sure it's the size you say it should be.

Yep they gave you a 1 gig model as the poster above me siad for a 1.5 you should have 1.397gig

thats cause someone decided that a hard drive meg is 1000 kb instead of the standard 1024, so when you do the math it converts to 931mb for 1 gig, hard to understand en, retarded marketing bs...

The math is 1,000/1.024/1.024/1.024 = 931

damn man thats weird... 93gb is kinda big, being used by 3rd party softwares... but damn a tb... lol that'll last you a lifetime

Once you start storing media, you will see just how fast it is used up, especially high def. I currently have 34TB of storage at about 50% capacity.

Once you start storing media, you will see just how fast it is used up, especially high def. I currently have 34TB of storage at about 50% capacity.

Wow, so you use yours as an extension to a DVR or something?

sorry bros but KAISER who is that in your avatar, is that your wife bro, you are one lucky dude if it is, holy shit i hope they are like that in heaven.

Wow, so you use yours as an extension to a DVR or something?

Wel, in my house I have a number of servers. They are all DFS and directed to a share called "Media" which houses everything. I have no DVD or BluRay players at my TV's, as I have Dell Optiplex 960 Small Form Factor PCs at each one instead. They are networked to my server, so I just double click on whatever movie I want to see. They do have DVD and BluRay in them but I never use that whatsoever because I hate the commercials and warnings with movies. Once a movie is "backed up", it has no commercials or previews and goes directly to the movie itself. Yes, most are ripped hi-def DivX.

sorry bros but KAISER who is that in your avatar, is that your wife bro, you are one lucky dude if it is, holy shit i hope they are like that in heaven.

Nope, not my wife, but my girlfriend is built very similar, yet has black hair.

Yea man the computer i am on now is a 1 TB drive and im still int he 1000's eventhough i have several videos games and a lot of music on here. Either they sent you the wrong drive or there is a shit ton of applications on the drive.

Well I got the new hard drive and it was the wrong one by a half TB of space!! Sent me the wrong one. No biggie but whatever...

It depends on how the partitions are setup but you will never get the full capactiy of your drive available. Apparantly you have a 1TB

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Spinaltap88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws