over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Do You Ever wonder.. .Is it worth it?

Alex A

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Im sure you do, as i sometimes find myself saying this.

Lets see your the husband or wife or spouse, son or daughter, heck your own best friend..

Most of us are gamely employed. You have to cook all these meals. You go to the gym to bust out yet another hard ass workout.

You live in a two story house and are reminded daily about your last leg workout. Your joints hurt, strains and pains, feet are sore from the cardio.

And you do this every day, on top of your full time jobs and oh yeah some of us have a few kids too.

Its a great life..But what would we be without training? I would be just another working stiff with a double chin and pot belly, feeling like crap.

Bodybuilding is tough. Its a grind that we all go through. Some of us push harder than others, some of us are lucky and dont have to push as hard.

But we all have one thing in common. We love to train and we want people to recognize us.

So, to be honest with you. If you find yourself asking this question too often please try to get re enthused. I feel perhaps the biggest benefit from getting on a solid plan is the feeling you have of accomplishment, pride and self worth from looking good. That is something money really cant buy. So whenever i remotely feel like asking myself the question, i just smile.

Last edited:
Yeah mate, got the job, the 2 storey house, the 2 kids, and all the stuff that comes with contest prep, cooking food, training, early morning cardio, posing sessions, massage sessions, as well as doing a full days work, feeding the kids, doing homework, spending time with them and my girlfriend and trying not to neglect them whilst I undertake this quite selfish path...............but, I love it and it is who I am and i look at guys like you Alex (and the many other great members on here) who have competed or are competing and are good family men or have a good life balance and still find time to post advice and help others, it inspires me :)

I used to think of this ALOT! ...as time has gone by and many obstacles have come and gone in my life I have found one thing has been constant. When Im down or stressed or confused I have a place to go (the gym) where I feel like I belong and I am respected. I can tune my problems out and relieve the stress thats going on or what not. I take pride in my work ethic and I get a major sense of accomplishment when someone just starting out makes a "your ripped man" or "damn man your pushing some heavy ass weight" or something along those lines. It helped me gain confidence as a young kid both in standing up for myself and in the world of dating. Bodybuilding is a lifestyle and ALTHOUGH I DO NOT have it "down to a tee" yet..i am working to get there and incorporate it more comfortabley.

I seriously dont think I could live without it. The sport has been a big positive for me

RONJON

Dont you think that training is a serious stress reliever? I just have to get in the gym and lift.

Things have been hecktic because we have a 2 week old and it seems selfish as hell but... all i want to be able to do is make sure i can get my workouts in then come home and help out as much as possible.

It would seem that now is the time to say Screw it. But actually i get even more focused on what i need to do in the gym and what i need to eat. Im training to compete and i know that if i dont do what i need to do now, i will suffer on stage. Im lucky that my wife is in my corner, without her, i might have given up on competing because i would not destroy my family over competition. Shes totally supportive so im doing all i can to be helpful to her . By the way here is an 11 day out pic of the newborn.

Attachments

• stevendad11days400x500.jpg
    stevendad11days400x500.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 498
Last edited:
We do this because it is part of us, but not our life! Going to the gym each day is like brushing my teeth, part of the health hygiene cycle...it should be done. Aches and pains are part of the game. I look at it this way you could choose to take the long, inactive road and have the aches and pains from being overweight (stress on body) and out of shape (stress on heart and internal numbers)...OR have aches and pains from hard work that yields a solid physique with efficient body. Exercise is our medication for health! Family and friends are our life! Nobody says we can't have balance between work, life, and bodybuilding...it is a choice!

I love the post Alex A and you are great example of how this all can be done!

Great post Alex, and what a beautiful photo of your boy.

I have asked myself this quite a few times....even stepped away from bodybuilding for a while to see what it would be like. I keep coming back to it because I LOVE IT. Its part of my life and without it i feel lost.....IMO it makes me a much better man, husband and father.

Great post Alex, and what a beautiful photo of your boy.

I have asked myself this quite a few times....even stepped away from bodybuilding for a while to see what it would be like. I keep coming back to it because I LOVE IT. Its part of my life and without it i feel lost.....IMO it makes me a much better man, husband and father.

Chris and Lenny... couldnt agree with you more. I know what your going through and i totally feel the same. Not to sound cocky, but people know me for being in shape, for being a bodybuilder. And without that, i would feel lost and forgotten.. Plus, to me, exercise is a way to let out my anger and tension. I often bottle up my stress and cant wait to let it out in the gym. Competition is my way of proving i can take it to the next level.

I really want to prove something this year. My best year in bodybuilding was when my daughter was first born and a million things were happening in my life.

This year, instead of stepping back, i want to step up and make an impact. It does seem harder for a beginner or those that dont associate with other bbers or dont plan to compete to those, i say Learn from someone you admire. I have been doing that my whole life. If you are not willing to learn from others then its going to be a rough and bumpy road.
Thanks for your time, posting here.. One more pic, taken at the hospital.

Attachments

• alexsteven.jpg
    alexsteven.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 476
Chris and Lenny... couldnt agree with you more. I know what your going through and i totally feel the same. Not to sound cocky, but people know me for being in shape, for being a bodybuilder. And without that, i would feel lost and forgotten.. Plus, to me, exercise is a way to let out my anger and tension. I often bottle up my stress and cant wait to let it out in the gym. Competition is my way of proving i can take it to the next level.

I really want to prove something this year. My best year in bodybuilding was when my daughter was first born and a million things were happening in my life.

This year, instead of stepping back, i want to step up and make an impact. It does seem harder for a beginner or those that dont associate with other bbers or dont plan to compete to those, i say Learn from someone you admire. I have been doing that my whole life. If you are not willing to learn from others then its going to be a rough and bumpy road.
Thanks for your time, posting here.. One more pic, taken at the hospital.

I couldnt agree more with you! Since i started talking/hanging out with guys that are serious about the sport, my motivation has tripled!! I love my friends, but none of them are into this sport, and it can be tough if you dont have someone to discuss BB things with. The board and its members have totally changed my view on BB as a whole as well, and id like to thank everyone! Its a great atmosphere here!

And congrats on the beautiful baby alex!

I couldnt agree more with you! Since i started talking/hanging out with guys that are serious about the sport, my motivation has tripled!! I love my friends, but none of them are into this sport, and it can be tough if you dont have someone to discuss BB things with. The board and its members have totally changed my view on BB as a whole as well, and id like to thank everyone! Its a great atmosphere here!

And congrats on the beautiful baby alex!

Thanks a lot !

Dude im not lying at all.. Ok, i train at a pretty popular Golds gym in Los Angeles. I know a ton of people at the gym but i really dont talk to anyone.

Even come contest time, It sounds lame but, i really only care about my wife, family and the people on the boards.

It seems like I have no friends at the gym at all( non of them compete or follow the shows) so all my friends are here.

Also, there are a few here that i really have gotten to know in person and mail and it has been awesome. I kind of dont even care what the people at the gym think of me, but shit, when i post a pic here, I really care. This sight has been a blessing, so many great people sharing their knowledge, experience and life.

And to the guys who think it is hard now, wait until you get older. Ah, but what a feeling, walking in your gym and looking better than guys 1/2 your age. Life is what you put into it. That goes for everything, so hang around the eagles and get rid of those turkeys.

Wow those are AWESOME pictures Alex you are truly blessed.

Some of my best friends go to my gym and I have always loved it...now that im more and more serious about training..its like they dont exist till im finished. No flirting with the girls lol ...no bullshitting..i go and hit it hard and get out so yea DEFINATELY feel you on the part about feeling like im being selfish. I dont have alot of time currently to hangout with my friends but hell im trying to accomplish some things for my self and sometimes you have to prioritize with career and goals and stuff IMO.

I am Constantly appologizing to my girl and my friends for not being there as much but as long as they love and care about me along with my family I know I can do anything I set my mind and focus towards.

And I have found NO OTHER THING IN THIS WORLD reduces stress and gives me an outlet better than the gym.

used to be a gym rat, until I noticed that most the guys in the gym "Think" they will turn pro and make a tone of $$$. I had a friend of mine that took 2nd in Teen Nationals years ago, and he still trained, but also did other things in life like water skiing, mountain biking hiking.
On my 40th Bday I bought a new Mt Bike and decided to ride a bunch more. Living where I do there amr 100's of miles of great trails. As a few years tracked along. I decided to get into road biking. iPod, great mountain roads and just competing agaimst my on person. I still weight train very hard 3X/week, but also ride 3X/week. I look better that 90% my age and 90% of the people 1/2 my age. My knees are not in good shape. 40 years of snowskiing, 3 knee serguries on 1 knee in 18 months, 2 broken ankles, 2 broken wrists, broken ribs..... So Biking is the only thing I can do for leg training. They are not huge, but very atheltic looking. sorry had to brag!!

I learned quite a bit through weight training and 2 shows, (took second in Masters a few weeks ago) as well as 3 24 HOUR Mt. Bike races. If you want to compete and that is your passion....hat's off, but if you just want to be a poser and act like a BB'er, then I'd rather not know you. There are more things to life than being in the gym 6 days/week. As the guys above have stated their families. It takes a while for some people to realize that.

Anyway, my 2cc's

What's really kept me motivated lately is this board and how dedicated people here are not only to bodybuilding, but to helping each other and sharing knowledge. I feel like this board is one of the few places I fit in and can always turn to for advice and support.

What a good feeling post to read....Alex, your baby is so sweet..I can see and almost feel the love you have for him....this is good stuff. and how you help your wife, since she supports your dreams.

If you do it right, you can have it all

What a good feeling post to read....Alex, your baby is so sweet..I can see and almost feel the love you have for him....this is good stuff. and how you help your wife, since she supports your dreams.

If you do it right, you can have it all

Thanks and Im all about the family. I love helping out, but infants are not easy for me. Im not soft and cuddly like my wife.. babies dont want a hard chest, they want ... boobs..

Anyways.. my involvement in the sport is pretty deep. Every day im training, answering emails and somehow involved in the next show. ( NP Corange county is in 10 days, then off to the NPC Contra Costa in Hayward). Then my wife is shooting the Cal for MD. The Junior Cal and the LA. Then the USA is here... I start my prep at that point and 4 months later, im on a plane to Florida to battle the best. IM really happy about that.

Thanks and Im all about the family. I love helping out, but infants are not easy for me. Im not soft and cuddly like my wife.. babies dont want a hard chest, they want ... boobs..

Anyways.. my involvement in the sport is pretty deep. Every day im training, answering emails and somehow involved in the next show. ( NP Corange county is in 10 days, then off to the NPC Contra Costa in Hayward). Then my wife is shooting the Cal for MD. The Junior Cal and the LA. Then the USA is here... I start my prep at that point and 4 months later, im on a plane to Florida to battle the best. IM really happy about that.

Your a hard worker Alex, and it shows. Maybe the babies don't need a guy with a hard chest, but they do need a man with a strong backbone and you have accomplish that. You have beautiful babies.

Think about it all the time. I'm still in my mid 20's & single so most of my buddies still go out & party while i stay in and rest (90% of the time). It's worth it cuz when i do go out with them once & awhile I get more attention from the females than they do, and to me, THAT IS ALL WORTH THE WHILE. :)

Alex, when I read your first post I thought you were describing me. Got the 2 story house, 2 kids, unfortunately I lost my wife and I am a single father. Got the animals and believe it or not one of the cats name is Lucky, sound familiar.

I started training when I was in my mid 20's because I was tired of being a fat slob. Soon the training the dieting became a lifestyle, which is more then a hobby as you live the life of a bodybuilder. We are unique in the sense that we advertise ourselves through our bodies.

At times I find myself thinking is this worth it? I could be laying on the sofa watching tv and eating chips and then I snap out of it as this is my life. And I find it refreshing to know that I am not alone and that there are others in the same boat.

Alex thank you for putting up this thread as it is comforting to know that I am not insane and that there are others who have chosen to live their lives the way I do.

Last edited:
The only thing I've ever questioned regarding whether it was worth it or not was when I was powerlifting. I was almost always beat to hell, something hurt all the time, my shoulders, elbows, low back always hurt to one level or another. When I would have trouble bending over to turn on the shower and it hurt my shoulder or elbow to pull out the knob I would ask myself what the hell I was doing that for.

I still get my aches and pains with bodybuilding but it's a lot less so.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Itisisaysme510
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws