over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Does anyone here workout their neck?

Jake LaMotta

Registered
Does anyone here do exercises for their neck? Or do you guys think it's pointless?

I used to do the 4 way neck machine when I was into amateur boxing. I've since stopped because it takes too damn long to do 3 sets for all 4 ranges (front, left, right, back). That comes to 36 sets and an assload of time.

Does anyone here have a big, thick neck who DOESN'T workout their neck?

I did try to workout my neck once in a while.

But it feels uncomfortable for me, and generally skip it now.

Big necks like other big muscles are genetics. My shoulder balloon up even if I barely hit them.

Yes, my neck is huge. Do no direct work except for deadlifts.

Directly working the sternoclidomastoid is a dangerous game. Not a muscle you want to injure.

In college we only did 3 set of neck per week, I was also playing D-1aa football. I remember the days where my neck and ear lobes almost touched.

Now in the Army and I take a towel fold it 4ths and lay on a bech and hold a 45lb weight to my head. When I do the sides I place the oposite side elbow on the ground andf opposite side leg around the back of the bench and same/top side leg hooking the bench to my front. 1 set 4 directions to almost failure 1-2x per week depending. At 2 sets 2x per wk my neck will start to get thick but I have been a ginner.

The neck is one of your fastest growing muscles from my experience... doesn't take much work. I started doing the 4-way for MMA, and I've stuck with it.

To cut down on time, I superset all four ways and I don't use a lot of weight. Say 60-75 pounds; set the seat lower (to make you work harder), and keep your upper body completely still. Don't be like the dudes that put on five plates and then turn it into a back/ab exercise my swinging their whole torso against the pad.

I do 5-7 reps front, then immediately slide to the left and do left 5-7 reps, then around to do right 5-7 reps, and then finish with back.

2 sets of these once per week, and I'm done. Everything else is simply shrugs, deads, etc.

the best workout for the neck is to lay flat on a bench face down with only you neck hanging off. your workout partner uses their hand to put resistance and you lift you head. every rep should be difficult and by 10 or so you will not be able to lift your head. do three sets of these and you are set. you can do the same for the sides. much better workout than the hammer strength machine.

I don't do any work for my neck.
It's gotten big just from working everything else. In all honesty it's the only part of my body I wouldn't mind not growing. Don't like how it starts to make me lose my chin when it's big, or give that double chin look when looking down. I think it takes away from my appearance. I'm very lean, I want a chin. lol.

Personally I think its more important to train your pubococcygeus muscle than it is your neck.

No More Neck Problems | Neck Training | Neck Exercises

I've been religiously working my neck for my return to BJJ. I knew a kid who almost died due to a broken neck back in high school. His 20inch neck saved his life. My goal is to get above 21inches by mid summer. I started off at 18-19inches in December.

I can also HONESTLY say that working the neck is the second best way to get your traps looking ridiculous. Heavy deads with neck work hits my traps 10x better than any shrug. Once in a while I'll superset the 4-way neck in all four directions with shoulder shrugs on a calf raise machine just for fun at the end of my DC pull day.

I have fractured my neck twice and it is a priority.I use a harness and 4 way resistance using a plate wrapped in a towel.

I only do it occasionally, using a neck harness attached to a low pulley. Start slow and easy... I could hardly move my head when I left the gym the first time. Thank god I had some ibuprofen gel on hand, seemed to help the pain and stiffness and headache.:D

The neck is one of your fastest growing muscles from my experience... doesn't take much work. I started doing the 4-way for MMA, and I've stuck with it.

I used to love that 4-way neck machine. Every gym ought to have one. You can work the hell out of your neck SAFELY.

every couple weeks I do heavy weighted dips. I put the dip belt around the back end of my neck kind of like how brand warren puts the chains around his neck. It really puts your body into a whole different position. hits the chest hard and gives the neck a nice workout. defninetly dont try to heavy to begin with, you may tweak your neck. work up to it.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131