advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Every gym has them - Noobie doing half squats!

BigChef

Kilo Klub/Moderator
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I think if youre powerlifting it could be useful doing that, but otherwise not much use IMO. I like how he has the pussy pad on the bar.

I think in powerlifting it can be useful because it gets your entire body used to bearing that weight. It would strengthen your connective tissue and get you accustomed to carrying that kind of weight. As far as building muscle, obviously not doing much there. The guy has some skinny legs.

You see guys all the time do this. Actually I love when guys post vid's on BB.com bragging about their squats and they are half squats. Pretty reputable guys too. I always say that there is a place for partials. I don't consider them useless. However, they certainly don't give way to bragging rights about how much weight you can move.

My low rep range weight for Front Squats (I don't even do rears) is 315. Thats 315 doing a proper front squat for 4 reps, breaking paralel, nice and deep with a full contraction at the top. Lots of weight? No. But I get a much better workout than I do when I ego squats.

Its putting a lot of pressure on his knees just to say he can squat that much.

I've stopped doing full range squats and now go to just parallel, but push for 10-15 reps. Not worth damaging your knees to be a hero

Whats the problem? I love those..........you want big legs you gotta vary the depth..........try them..........believe me.

Hehe :p I was sure you'd chime in and say those exact words ;)

Btw I fully agree with you!

Funny to hear all these guys in the gym with skinny legs always criticizing my form ("why don't u go deeper?") :rolleyes:, yet they're the same constantly asking me how to grow bigger quads/hams... :eek:

And when I tell them it's not only pointless to go too low but above all a time bomb for their knees, they don't listen and just keep doing what they've been doing for years... without any results. :rolleyes:

while those are very shallow I do hear some Power Lifters talking about doing 1/4 to 1/3 rep range on their moves with like 125%-150% of their max , supposedly helps the body prepair for the stress while growing?

Trying to stop paralell actualy causes my knees to hurt , I either go all the way down or I do another movement.

I've actualy stopped squats for the last couple months and have been doing one legged leg presses and varying the foot position alot , and doing alot more weight than normal and not getting down to 90 (just partials) with exadurated weights or really high repps kills them , so I'm sure that their is somthing to doing partials.

I sometimes put on more weight than i can do on my last set but i squat hell of a lot deeper. i know its helped with me strentgh.

They serve a purpose but not for a beginner. He needs to learn the basics of proper form and not a reason to start short cutting.

Im 6'3" 210lbs (Ya skinny) and doing full squats kill my knees bad so i started doing 150% over my max half squats and my legs started to grow and I got stronger all over not just legs.
But a so called pro got to telling me and everybody else that half squats wouldnt do JACK so I stopped i got weaker and my knees hurt again.
So everyone can do what they want but im listening to my body first from now on!!

They serve a purpose but not for a beginner. He needs to learn the basics of proper form and not a reason to start short cutting.

Please, tell me then exactly what proper form is and how partials are short cutting? 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, full...staggered...etc. ALL work great.

Take a look at Phil Hernon's legs and tell me he takes "short cuts." haha

I always vary the depth and I like more to go all the way down...

Please, tell me then exactly what proper form is and how partials are short cutting? 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, full...staggered...etc. ALL work great.

Take a look at Phil Hernon's legs and tell me he takes "short cuts." haha

Phil's staggered sets tear me up! I used to do those back before my heart attack and ive never been so sore. Great for strength building, but I dont think it would be healthy for me now with my heart so weak. Id still be doing them otherwise.

Whats the problem? I love those..........you want big legs you gotta vary the depth..........try them..........believe me.

Yeah. Hopefully whoever this guy is doesnt do his squats all the time like this though. It wouldnt be very effective would it, to just do your all of your reps in this range all the time?

Agreed.
I always trained with BOTH- some sets were deep higher reps and finished off with partials and ultra heavy weight- I felt as if it was a precursor to the body to be able to do a higher weight and then slowly but surely adapt to that weight with better and better form until you could handle it with a deep squat form.
Im no expert but its been my thought process for some time- why short change yourself with just one training style...oh yeah someone might be in the corner pointing your your bad form LOL!

That's why God invented Bands and Chains

You go ass to ankles with a weight that challenges at that depth (light), and then as you approach the top of the motion the bands and/or chains kick in and the relatively light weight on the bar makes you shudder. One set covers deep and partial squats.

But I'm going to take Phils advice and do some 1/3 squats with a heavy weight. Cuz my legs still suck. Hopefully my lower back won't go crunch.

Well i happen to agree w big chef here, because I dont think its this kids intention of doing 1/4 or 1/2 squats. I think he believes he is squating. Do i know for sure...no, but Judging by his build, thats my impression. I see lots of people week after week doing the same thing with squats. Its an ego thing for this kid i believe.

Its putting a lot of pressure on his knees just to say he can squat that much.

I've stopped doing full range squats and now go to just parallel, but push for 10-15 reps. Not worth damaging your knees to be a hero
using your knees to stop the weight hurts ...i go ass to the grass and have no issues with my torn acl.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131