over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Forearm pain. Can't curl

Dado5

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
For the last 3 weeks i have forearm pain when curling anything for biceps. Can't do dumbels or straight bar/machines.. Pain is so sharp it feels like muscle is separating from the bone.
Its right under the elbow in the thickest forearm muscle.
Anything to ease the pain? I bought (one size fits all) tennis elbow support but cant fit me:mad:
Pic: circled where the pain is.

Last edited:
i had something similar to this years ago. it hurt the most when i did preacher curls. it bothered me for months maybe even close to a year, but i never bothered to get it checked because it was not the type of pain where i felt i was doing any damage structurally. basically i just stopped doing the things that bothered it until it felt better. still dont know what it was but i would assume it was a tendon strain

i had something similar to this years ago. it hurt the most when i did preacher curls. it bothered me for months maybe even close to a year, but i never bothered to get it checked because it was not the type of pain where i felt i was doing any damage structurally. basically i just stopped doing the things that bothered it until it felt better. still dont know what it was but i would assume it was a tendon strain

I try to ignore it but if i do biceps pain is severe especially when twisting the arm. My arm gets so weak and gives up due to the pain.

I've had similar experience to Scrapper for past couple months. My pain is primarily on the "inside" of the forearm and preacher curls kill me. I can do dumbell hammer curls and thats it.

I am currently going through the same thing.... going on about 8 weeks now.

Went to the Dr. Nothing wrong, just strained. He said 2-3 weeks of no to light activity and I should be good....

I waited 3 weeks, did arm... pain was back.

I have decided to just deal with it. It sucks, especially when doing straight bar curls..

Not really sure what to do at this point.

I've been going through this for quite some time now...Went to the doctors a couple times over the tennis elbow/bursitis and the rotator cuff...Was told that I went so long beating up on it that surgery was a big possibility (definite on the shoulder, was going to try ultra sound on the forearm but she wasn't very optimistic)!! Haven't gone back to the doctors since...Not getting knifed.....

Barely worked anything in '07/'08 and for '09, I could only use dumbells of no more then 25lbs, and even 25lbs was looking like I was trying to curl 150lb db's...Couldn't do preacher or hammers!! Over the past couple months been able to deal with it more (still hurts sometimes and still only using db's) and slowing going back up (at 45lbs now:eek:)...

JRS recommended to me Active Release Therapy...I looked into this pretty good and it seems that there is merit to it!! Not using it myself (every accuse in life to not deal with doctors, which will come back to bite me in the future), I would strongly suggest anyone suffering from this look into it!! Definitely worth a try!!

I had this exact same problem in the exact same spot for maybe 4-5 months. Here's what caused it: curls with a bar.

Stop using bars for your curls. It's completely unnecessary and it just fucks up your forearms.

Here's how you fix it: stop doing curls of all kind until the pain is gone. You don't need to do curls anyways; your back workout should work your biceps to death if your form is good and you have enough weight up there. After my back workout I don't even have the strength to finish a full set of curls.

Once the pain is gone, you can start doing curls again, but use dumbbells only. In my experience using a bar for curls was directly responsible for this pain.

Now when I do curls which isn't often, I do two-armed dumbbell curls.

good timing for this thread...

i have exact same pain in exact same location. mine was caused by doing pull ups. i think i can remember feeling it "give" a little when i went into a set without proper warm up...:(
anyway, i layed off of it for 3-4 months and have now resumed training. i baby it a little and ONLY do curls with dumbells. that really is the best move for biceps anyway IMO. and laying off lifting for an EXTENDED period of time is also the only way to get it to heal.

anyone know if gh will heal it faster?:D seriously.:cool: -JS

i have exact same pain in exact same location. mine was caused by doing pull ups. i think i can remember feeling it "give" a little when i went into a set without proper warm up...:(
anyway, i layed off of it for 3-4 months and have now resumed training. i baby it a little and ONLY do curls with dumbells. that really is the best move for biceps anyway IMO. and laying off lifting for an EXTENDED period of time is also the only way to get it to heal.

anyone know if gh will heal it faster?:D seriously.:cool: -JS

I'v been on GH since january 4th:) Dont thik it works for this issue, but overall i feel great:)

Dado5,

I have that exact same thing right now on the top of my
right forearm. Not to the painful extent that you describe
(though I did many month ago), but pain in the exact same
area non the less.

Mine I believe, and the changes I made verify this, was due
to hours and hours of "mousing", using the computer mouse,
with my right hand while working in Photoshop, like for 8 - 10
hours a day. (I did not have the pain in my left arm.) That
coupled heavy barbell curls, which I suspect aggravated it.

This pain prevented my from doing any curling movements
what so ever. And no chin-ups, and I love chin ups and am
fairly proficient at them. Rows were okay, but I had to be very
careful with respect to form, reps and the selection of
exercises (which taught me much in retrospect . . . old dog,
new tricks . . .)

Now . . . what did I do make it go away (I am 90% now)?
Well, I tried having an ice wrap on my right arm while using
it mousing, which should have told me that what I was doing
was causing the problem, but it didn't. I'm pretty stupid
sometimes.

Some things that made it go away. First thing I did was
switch hands when using the computer mouse. That allowed
it to rest but also slowed down my work flow considerably
but I soon taught my left hand all my right hand moves.

I also took a month off from weight training, a forced layoff,
not due to the pain, but a month's vacation with my wife.
Most of the pain eventually went away, and what pain that
did remain was due to handling a very heavy dSLR camera
14 hours a day.

When I returned home, thinking it was healed enough, I started
mousing again with my right arm and weight training. Another
stupid mistake, at least in regards to the mousing was concerned.
The pain immediately retuned. Again, I switched arms and
adjusted my weight training routine. This helped, but it took a
while, and ever so slowly the pain got less and less, to the
point where I could do a select few curling movements: rope
curls with palms facing my chest (great exercise I was never
forced to try . . . and I like them very much now) and dumbbell
curls, very light, with no supination.

What got me just about back to normal (I have not tried chins
yet or barbell curls yet) is the application of "sport gel" with
arnica. Prior to that, I had tried a cream called Traumeel, a
homeopathic healing ointment, with zero effect. I had tried
Arnica before, in it's pure form when I had tendonitis from
rock climbing and it never worked. But when I tried this new
gel called Muscle Therapy w/ arnica (mfgd. by Hyland's . . .
a free plug) it made a very noticeable difference, and only when
I applied it in huge amounts twice a day, and let it dry there,
forming thick, unsightly glaze. Usually I poo-hooed, was very
skeptical about these sorts of homeopathic remedies, but
I think this one really works for me. You might want to give
it a try.

Things are about back to normal now. I am very careful now in
the gym. I am very cautious about introducing new movements
that might aggravate it, and do so starting out with a very light
weight. I am now back up to 30's for curling and increasingly
heavier select curling movements in conjunction with pulldowns
which give me a great pump with no pain. I like the results so far.

Hope this helps . . .

Alfresco, thank you

I do use mouse every day for 8 hours straight at work, For the alst 13 years same damn mouse same work...This could explain why it is right arm only and not the left.

I will try ice it and put some creams, Also it seems when i press at that spot i can move arm with less pain. Have to try and find nice strap that can fit me.

Great insight as usual Alfresco

hmmm, never thought about it but i mouse all day too. AND i also use a pretty heavy camera quite alot... perhaps the little things aggrevate it more than i suspected.... -JS

i've had the same thing for years on and off. happens when i go past 150 on barbells curls. i use dumbells and bent curls now, with no problems. time off and icing should help you.

I've been going through this for quite some time now...Went to the doctors a couple times over the tennis elbow/bursitis and the rotator cuff...Was told that I went so long beating up on it that surgery was a big possibility (definite on the shoulder, was going to try ultra sound on the forearm but she wasn't very optimistic)!! Haven't gone back to the doctors since...Not getting knifed.....

Barely worked anything in '07/'08 and for '09, I could only use dumbells of no more then 25lbs, and even 25lbs was looking like I was trying to curl 150lb db's...Couldn't do preacher or hammers!! Over the past couple months been able to deal with it more (still hurts sometimes and still only using db's) and slowing going back up (at 45lbs now:eek:)...

JRS recommended to me Active Release Therapy...I looked into this pretty good and it seems that there is merit to it!! Not using it myself (every accuse in life to not deal with doctors, which will come back to bite me in the future), I would strongly suggest anyone suffering from this look into it!! Definitely worth a try!!

^^^^ ART worked great for me,i dealt with outer and inner elbow pain for 4 YEARS ,I tried ice,heat,rest for months at a time and supplements and nothing worked for me,once i started going to have ART done i started improving fairly quickly,i went for 20 treatments over about a 4 month period and did not have to stop workingout as a matter of fact i added movements and increased intensity while i was receiving ART. The first few visits were painful but after that more of a discomfort.

For the last 3 weeks i have forearm pain when curling anything for biceps. Can't do dumbels or straight bar/machines.. Pain is so sharp it feels like muscle is separating from the bone.
Its right under the elbow in the thickest forearm muscle.
Anything to ease the pain? I bought (one size fits all) tennis elbow support but cant fit me:mad:
Pic: circled where the pain is.

You may just need to rest it and give it time. ANY movements that cause pain in that area should be removed from your routine at least for awhile.

Probably just tendinitis from overuse. Look up treatment for lateral epicondylitis or tennis elbow. I've tried everything though and the only think that helps is time. Try to take it easy on the stuff that hurts, other than that, there's not much you can do unless you're willing to take a couple months off completely (which I won't do).

i have golfers elbow its getting better cuase iv took 4 weeks off im almost 100% after two months. at first you can say it was tendinitis but to be really it was tendonosis anything over 4 weeks is that wich is much worse cuase its cronic.

i would suggest these in order:

rest 3-4 wks
massage deep tissue.
dmso with asprin on hurt area.
stretching.

SB

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads