over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Gyms in Baltimore

jesterthefester

Newbies
Hi

I am moving to Baltimore next year from Australia to work at Johns Hopkins and wanted to know the best gyms in the city from competative bodybuilders..

thanks for any advice

JTF

I live in "BODYMORE", Murdaland LOL. Good luck to you. But anyway, depends where you live b/c traffic is brutal. I'll give you some "hardcore" spots to go to and I'll Pm ya my name. It will all depend on where you live but You will def. have to drive a bit to get to any of these less you live near hopkins. You'll have to tell me which hopkins you're going to be in.

Golds Gym, Owings Mills (by far my fave of them all)
10221 S Dolfield Rd
Owings Mills, MD 21117
(410) 654-4653

Power House Gym ( real hardcore but tryin to changing their image now)
8502 Kelso Dr
Baltimore, MD 21221
(410) 246-5572

Nicks Iron Pit Gym (hardcore shit right here. This is a real local spot but you'll feel @ home)
(410) 675-6259
4801 Erdman Ave, Baltimore, MD 21205

Sugars Gym (lol @ this place. You can still work out here w/ your shirt off. Ole school heads here and its Veeeeery antiquated. Lots of Iron though)
(410) 235-0799
3627 Keswick Rd, Baltimore, MD 21211

There are more but for the most part these are the "hardcore" spots. If you want just a fitness center just let me know and i'll point you in the right direction. My family is from here and I know tons of people who own and operate gyms and fitness centers. For more info bro just pm me. Peace

Yep Owings Mills would also be my pick. nice clean area plus you
might run into some pro football players there too. Ravens training
camp near by.
Also get someone that knows the city well to help you get around.
Very dangerous city to get lost in.

Last edited:
I second on the Gold's in Owings Mills. I used to work out there until I got my own stuff at home. More than enough equipment and the people there are really there to work out, not primp and pose.

camp near by.

Correct,,,,Bmore City is fucked up......be very careful in and around the city.....

If ur working at the hospital it is one of the worst parts of the city....the university is in a nice area.

there are some nice gyms around. I just moved out of Baltimore city, I was right in the inner city and finally had enough of it. I've been out for about 1 week now and I can finally sleep without hearing bullets being shot off next to my window lol

Good list so far. Like they said, depends on exactly where you are going to live. Gold's in the suburb of Glen Burnie is a good place and not expensive.

there are some nice gyms around. I just moved out of Baltimore city, I was right in the inner city and finally had enough of it. I've been out for about 1 week now and I can finally sleep without hearing bullets being shot off next to my window lol

A few years back I went to play Bball on Edmonston ave.....where the split is to go to the old stadium....i was new to the town back then......sheesh, that town is just plain buck wild!

It was like the CVS/Walgreens......xanax, coke, oxy's.....It was truly an open bazaar of drugs.

10 percent of Bmores population is addicted to Herion......55,000 adicts.

Welcome to the Jungle Big Dog!

I was right in the inner city and finally had enough of it. I've been out for about 1 week now and I can finally sleep without hearing bullets being shot off next to my window lol

I think I remember having this conversation with you before. So you
finally got out, good for you. I lucked out and moved in 61 way before
all the shit.
And Manuel Hung your right that hopspital area is bad

I think I remember having this conversation with you before. So you
finally got out, good for you. I lucked out and moved in 61 way before
all the shit.
And Manuel Hung your right that hopspital area is bad

I went to Hopkins for a test.....they have a guard tower in a fenced in lot.....looks like a fucking prison......I had a bitch bother me for 20 bucks and a blow job as I took the 3 block walk to the car.....to bad she had no teeth....20 bucks would have been a good deal;)

camp near by.

LOL @ that though. No matter where you live or go in baltimore it will be dangerous. Owings mills is on the Bus Line and its so called 'riff raff' @ that gym too. Baltimore is a City that if you look like prey you will be preyed upon anywhere you go. There is no "safe" place in baltimore. But as far as Competitive bodybuilding goes, Owings Mills even does Posing class on the weekend. But def. get someone that knows the city so you don't get yourself in a bind. But for real, its gyms all over Bmore just depends what ya looking for.

Oh my God, poor jester. He's going wtf did i get myself into.

Last edited:
LOL @ that though. No matter where you live or go in baltimore it will be dangerous. Owings mills is on the Bus Line and its so called 'riff raff' @ that gym too. Baltimore is a City that if you look like prey you will be preyed upon anywhere you go. There is no "safe" place in baltimore. But as far as Competitive bodybuilding goes, Owings Mills even does Posing class on the weekend. But def. get someone that knows the city so you don't get yourself in a bind. But for real, its gyms all over Bmore just depends what ya looking for.

yea Steve, we talked about it about 2 months ago or so. I finally said enough is enough and decided to move out to a better area.

I agree with the above post, if you look/act like a punk, you'll get eaten like one. I'm not saying to fight with everyone because that will get you killed, but just saying don't act like a punk and you'll be alright.

I think there are some safe areas of Bmore. its just rare, thats all lol

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks all who answered. LOL yes the stories you are saying were told to me as well by a few people who have just returned to AUS after working at Hopkins......

so if its ok i think i will definately PM some of you guys for more advice about areas etc to live in but i would like to be close to the gym i train at and i will definately be getting a car as soon as i get there....

i wont be moving till early next year.....im trying to time things so i can get my work started and have enough time to prepare for the NABBA worlds in may next yr....so i hope i can plan everything right....

unfortunately i have heard u have to be a US citizen to compete national in the NPC comps over there???

i am looking foward to training over there in the US :)

once again thanks for the replies

JTF

I posted this same question before I moved to Baltimore. All I got was a bunch of useless bullshit from folks who had no clue what they were talking about.

First of all Jester, don't fret. These guys have probably scared the shit out of you by now. Baltimore is NOT that bad. Unless you are directly involved in the drug trade, you will be relieved to know that you will not be victimized here any more than you would any another larger city so long as you use your head. If you live in a descent neighborhood, and there are plenty of them in the city, the only thing that will be a real threat is getting your car broken into. I have to wonder if some of these guys have actually lived in the city. I was pretty nervous about moving out here (watched too much of HBO's The Wire) but was surprised to see how pleasant it can be. I have coworkers, most international, who are scared to do anything on the weekends because they have been misinformed that the entire city is dangerous at all times. They are missing out.

I can see Hopkins from my window (JHMI/the hospital), I walk there and back daily and have never had a problem. Sure it can be sketchy and things do happen but the entire city is not a lawless ghetto like people make it out to be.

I'm not sure if you are going to be working at the undergrad campus (homewood) or JHMI (medical campus east-downtown) but here it goes:

First of all, Hopkins has a wonderful gym on the Homewood campus. I have never been myself but I hear that it is amazing form everyone I talk to. As an employee I believe you get a generous discount.

Second, there is the Cooley Fitness center at JHMI. Employees/students get good rates. Included in that membership is access to a smaller gym at the Bloomberg School of Public Health.

Fourth, you have the downtown Merrit Athletic Club a bit west of JHMI. If you end up living in canton (awesome neighborhood) then you have the canton Merrit Club. Both are a bit pricey but very nice and lots of hot women.

Gold's Power Plant (downtown) is okay but I don't care for their equipment or management. Cheap as hell though. Plus you can pick up some Chipotle next door after your workout.

If by chance you will be working at Hopkins Bayview Campus, they have a small gym for employees as well.

Those are the only ones I can comment on. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about moving/ etc.

Last edited:
I posted this same question before I moved to Baltimore. All I got was a bunch of useless bullshit from folks who had no clue what they were talking about.

First of all Jester, don't fret. These guys have probably scared the shit out of you by now. Baltimore is NOT that bad. Unless you are directly involved in the drug trade, you will be relieved to know that you will not be victimized here any more than you would any another larger city so long as you use your head. If you live in a descent neighborhood, and there are plenty of them in the city, the only thing that will be a real threat is getting your car broken into. I have to wonder if some of these guys have actually lived in the city. I was pretty nervous about moving out here (watched too much of HBO's The Wire) but was surprised to see how pleasant it can be. I have coworkers, most international, who are scared to do anything on the weekends because they have been misinformed that the entire city is dangerous at all times. They are missing out.

I can see Hopkins from my window (JHMI/the hospital), I walk there and back daily and have never had a problem. Sure it can be sketchy and things do happen but the entire city is not a lawless ghetto like people make it out to be.

I'm not sure if you are going to be working at the undergrad campus (homewood) or JHMI (medical campus east-downtown) but here it goes:

First of all, Hopkins has a wonderful gym on the Homewood campus. I have never been myself but I hear that it is amazing form everyone I talk to. As an employee I believe you get a generous discount.

Second, there is the Cooley Fitness center at JHMI. Employees/students get good rates. Included in that membership is access to a smaller gym at the Bloomberg School of Public Health.

Fourth, you have the downtown Merrit Athletic Club a bit west of JHMI. If you end up living in canton (awesome neighborhood) then you have the canton Merrit Club. Both are a bit pricey but very nice and lots of hot women.

Gold's Power Plant (downtown) is okay but I don't care for their equipment or management. Cheap as hell though. Plus you can pick up some Chipotle next door after your workout.

If by chance you will be working at Hopkins Bayview Campus, they have a small gym for employees as well.

Those are the only ones I can comment on. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about moving/ etc.

AMEN TO THAT!!

LOL, Let me find out most of these guys are only "TOUGH" online. LOL.

Like I said, If your Prey, then you be Preyed upon. LOL.

But really, some of the gyms you named is not what hes looking for. They're not bodybuilding gyms per se. I gave him a list of all the "hardcore" gyms that don't frown upon us "bros" that utilize supplements for our endeavors. Also none of them are big on competing. Baltimore is not what you would call a "body conscious" city. As far as it being dangerous. Only sometimes. Really, most of these clowns here are soft. Thats why the Murder rate is so high. Don't do what you supposed to be doing you get smoked. Simple and plain. Just a rotten city but I've found a way to get along well. And most people will too if you keep your nose clean and your mouth shut. The way I see a lot some guys on here mouth off to each other, i'd bet they'd be scared to come to baltimore. LOL. Half the "ethugs" would be Dead. Not somebodys Bitch but in somebody's ditch. Trust and believe, follow the rules and respect your own status and one will be ok.

well I guess we have a difference of opinion......outside the Harbor Bmore is fucked.....They have the highest murder rate in the country, and highest assualt rate....yes most of it is due to the drugs......

Do u have a car?? If so if ur parking it by th hospital it has got broken into.....I would bet on it.....

I had my car broken into off kenilworth ave (east side)....ran the guy down like a dummy, and was shot at. I called the police.....was a black cop, I am also black and he said "brotha, u can fill out a police report, but not much will happen"......"just another shooting......now if u actually got HIT, that would be different"

So keep walking the walk big dog and the law of averages will get u.....I have been in that area for a while now....My buddy goes to JH Bloomburg school of public health and is concentrating on gun violence....so I see and here it all the time.

If u work at JHMI u know that they had the best trauma ER in the nation because of all the shootings.

Go sit ur ass down in the emergency room for 24 hrs....preferably on a fri. night and then post up what u saw.

Call Dr. Dan up and ask him about the violence in that city

By Dan Munoz
School of Medicine, '04

Dan Munoz Ruminations on life as a medical student

Rain was a good sign.

Peering out an eighth-floor window of the Nelson building, I could see the silhouette of the Baltimore skyline fighting a losing battle against dense Saturday morning fog. Three weeks on the Halsted trauma surgery service had taught me that bad weather was often a harbinger of relative calm on the streets of East Baltimore. It meant a break in the numbing stream of stabbings and shootings in our city.

as I said, there are *safe* places in the city, but it all depends on where you live. I lived in the inner city with dope dealers living next door to me, hell, all over my block was dope and whores. I wasn't trying to scare the dude, just saying that shit does get crazy depending on where you live. If you can afford to live in Fells Points, Federal Hill, those are decent areas. That area I was in, I had my window shot out due to dope dealers fighting with one another, go to East Baltimore, Or West baltimore... tell me how *ghetto* it's not dude.

I lived in the inner city my entire life, watched countless friends throw their lives away on dope and prison, and being murdered. And no, I'm not trying to sound like a tough guy or an internet thug. But if you walk around in east baltimore like a punk, you will get your ass kicked, simple as that.

what part of Baltimore you in dude? just curious... I grew up in P/T, and lived there most of my life except for a short few years when I moved to Miami and another spot after that.

I don't know the area you're in, but like I said, my area wasn't the greatest, they're trying to clean it up now, but drugs still run every block in my old area.

I used to train at the Golds downtown. My membership expired close to a year ago, didn't care much for it either. There are a lot better gyms than that one.

as I said, there are *safe* places in the city, but it all depends on where you live. I lived in the inner city with dope dealers living next door to me, hell, all over my block was dope and whores. I wasn't trying to scare the dude, just saying that shit does get crazy depending on where you live. If you can afford to live in Fells Points, Federal Hill, those are decent areas. That area I was in, I had my window shot out due to dope dealers fighting with one another, go to East Baltimore, Or West baltimore... tell me how *ghetto* it's not dude.

I lived in the inner city my entire life, watched countless friends throw their lives away on dope and prison, and being murdered. And no, I'm not trying to sound like a tough guy or an internet thug. But if you walk around in east baltimore like a punk, you will get your ass kicked, simple as that.

what part of Baltimore you in dude? just curious... I grew up in P/T, and lived there most of my life except for a short few years when I moved to Miami and another spot after that.

I don't know the area you're in, but like I said, my area wasn't the greatest, they're trying to clean it up now, but drugs still run every block in my old area.

I used to train at the Golds downtown. My membership expired close to a year ago, didn't care much for it either. There are a lot better gyms than that one.

Right on point big dog....I am mostly in DC....I lived with a bud on Towanda ave. by Mondawmin Mall ie (Murder Mall).....wild fucking place....i left for my own safety. The below is a common week in that area.....

Monday, March 5

6:54 a.m. A 5-year-old boy answered a knock at the door of his home in the 2000 block of North Smallwood Avenue near Mondawmin Mall. At least two people were at the door, according to police, and one of them shot the boy in the foot. They then went upstairs to the room of the boy's father, Michael Woods, a 28-year-old African-American man who was partially paralyzed from a previous shooting. They shot him repeatedly and left. Woods died at Maryland Shock Trauma Center at 8:15 a.m. The boy's injuries were not life-threatening.

Saturday, March 10

11:13 p.m. Allen Coates, a 36-year-old African-American man, was at a birthday party at Maceo's Lounge in the Mondawmin neighborhood. A man was groping a woman at the party, according to police, and Coates tried to stop him. The man pulled out a gun and shot Coates several times in the head and body. No one else at the party was hit. Coates died at Sinai Hospital half an hour later. This is the third murder in Mondawmin in 19 days.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Deecrume
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws