over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Iconic bodybuilding photos

36978_2.jpg

Who in the F is that in the middle? Am guessing it is Arnold.

I remember him saying that he and his friends would haul a bunch of weights out to the forrest and just do squats all day.

Arnold was not a good squatter (form, I have watched him) and strength and he said he always wanted legs like Tom Platz.
Who wouldn’t? He just did not have the genetics for it 🙁, try as he did.

Who in the F is that in the middle? Am guessing it is Arnold.

I remember him saying that he and his friends would haul a bunch of weights out to the forrest and just do squats all day.

Arnold was not a good squatter (form, I have watched him) and strength and he said he always wanted legs like Tom Platz.
Who wouldn’t? He just did not have the genetics for it 🙁, try as he did.
He had the common tall guy problem for squats. Couldn't achieve a low depth without sticking his butt all the way out. That style is preferred for moving the heaviest amount of weight but not for bodybuilding or building the quads. Personally speaking, elevating my heels whether through shoes, plates, or a block have been easily the most valuable tool for me when it comes to leg training. That and/or having access to a decent Hack Squat machine.

He had the common tall guy problem for squats. Couldn't achieve a low depth without sticking his butt all the way out. That style is preferred for moving the heaviest amount of weight but not for bodybuilding or building the quads. Personally speaking, elevating my heels whether through shoes, plates, or a block have been easily the most valuable tool for me when it comes to leg training. That and/or having access to a decent Hack Squat machine.
Arnold squatted with his heels on a 2 x 4. Don’t recall what kind of shoes he wore.

Like yourself I have found elevating my heels when squatting to be very productive (and preserving my low back).

Arnold squatted with his heels on a 2 x 4. Don’t recall what kind of shoes he wore.

Like yourself I have found elevating my heels when squatting to be very productive (and preserving my low back).
I actually started doing it because I hurt my lower back and really wanted to focus on building quads as opposed to many years of building my posterior chain. I always sucked at squats and never really got great at them (I'm long limbed). I've seen old black & whites of Arnold squatting with a wooden block as did many of his contemporaries. In Pumping Iron if I recall, he was squatting barefoot and no block, hitting parallel, with the butt back, a fair amount of hinging and forward torso lean. In this style, I've never been able to get much quad stimulation. I'm 6 foot or 6'1. The part that burns my ass is I spent my early years grinding away squatting my butt off and doing what the mags told me to do and since I didn't compete in powerlifting until after I got hurt, I feel like I wasted all those years. I wish I would've been Front Squatting or at least squatting more upright. By the time I figured it out and put the time in for those types of squats my low back was already in bad shape. You know what they say about hindsight...

all were incredibles at their times

Attachments

• 7111-mentzerrestpaus.jpg
    7111-mentzerrestpaus.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 56
  • ronnie2.jpg
    ronnie2.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 53
  • mike francois.jpg
    mike francois.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 49
  • TricepsArticle3.jpg
    TricepsArticle3.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Kalman%20Szalak.jpg
    Kalman%20Szalak.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 47
  • blog-arnold-biceps.jpg
    blog-arnold-biceps.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 48
  • bertil_fox_photo84.jpg
    bertil_fox_photo84.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 46
I like how Franco covers the big gyno pec with the dumbbell for the photo. That was probably around the '80 Olympia that he won.

As a teenager in the mid 80's we didn't have the internet. But, somehow pics of these monsters showed up in my gym and they influenced me more than any other bodybuilder who was profiled in Muscle & Fitness. Me and another buddy started dressing like them, wearing cut off camo pants and flannels.
This guys are one of the reason i started training, saw barbarians and the rest is history.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws