over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Isometrics

loganb_football

Registered
I have trained specifically in the stretch position on more than one occassion and I had a goal time to meet (say 5-7 min total work, but if I could hold the weight for 45 sec I would add weight). I did make some great gains.

Im curious, if time under tension is met, with an isometric contraction until failure at the point of weakness (usually around the mid point or at the bottom position). Why couldn't this be as effective if not more effective?

If one were to do a shoulder press for example for 30 sec. and he cannot hold it in that position any longer he has completely exhausted the muscle fibers of the shoulder correct? I can only think the advantage to full range movement is the leverages in certain points of a lift where other muscles may contribute in greater amount to stabilization or lifting (i.e. more stimulation to the triceps at the top of a shoulder press). As long as progression is still initiated than wouldn't this make for a great change of pace or even a great protocol in and of itself? Especially if one were to train in a stretch position where muscles are at there weakest and a co-contraction is actually place on the muscle when it is stretched and forced to hold a load. Some of you may be familiar with the hyperplasia studies, where birds had weights hanging from their limbs and exhibited a greater amount of muscle in 30 days... The greater the load these birds had the greater the muscle gain.

I'm not trying to change anyones mind. I really think Little and Sisco were on the right track except for training in the strongest position exclusively... If anyone is interested in some experimentation with this I really would like to know your results for say six weeks? If you would PM me if you are willing I would like to see the results on someone besides myself and also if I could give you a few tips and maybe some advice on performing the exercises. If you're not interested than its atleast something fun to think about. This would only be an experiment. If you like it after six weeks than stick with it or dont, and in the grand scheme of things its not a very long time but is the bare minimum in my mind before seeing results. I have posted a thread on this before, and if you search it you will see I was pretty happy, and I learned a lot about my body (especially pain threshold) during that time. Currently I do DC training from 6-8 weeks(except for this last cycle I barely made it to 5 lol) and I take 2 weeks off with isometrics in the stretch position with less weight and longer duration on the holds than described above, in order to facilitate recovery, while holding onto my strength and mass (if I can get in enough food lol).

Im sorry, I went from a question to a proposition lol... But anyone who is willing to answer and willing to try or any combination of the two I would be curious to hear your insight on isometrics.

I know there are several trainers and pro athletes on this sight and I would like to hear their thoughts as well!

Jay Schroeder is big on this sort of thing. Have read numerous times that until an athlete can hold a bulgarian split squat position (thigh parallel to the ground) for 5-7 minutes, he won't do anything else with them. Along those same lines, until an athlete can hold an extreme pushup position (hands on 2 different benches or pushup handles, chest fully stretched) for 5-7 minutes with 40% of their bw on their back, he won't even begin to have them bench press.

Jay Schroeder is big on this sort of thing. Have read numerous times that until an athlete can hold a bulgarian split squat position (thigh parallel to the ground) for 5-7 minutes, he won't do anything else with them. Along those same lines, until an athlete can hold an extreme pushup position (hands on 2 different benches or pushup handles, chest fully stretched) for 5-7 minutes with 40% of their bw on their back, he won't even begin to have them bench press.

Yes. His training is where I got the idea. His program is designed to maximize rate coding, stiffen tendons, and increase fast twitch fiber development from what I gather. To me though, I think 5-7 minutes is too much to try and hold at one time and at such a long hold I think the main objective is improving the rate coding in that exercise. But I did have to make sure the time under tension was there. So I just pick a weight heavy enough to where I can't hold it for more than 30-45 seconds, with a cumulative effort of 3-7 minutes total per exercise.

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear