over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Long journeys and sciatica

comedycentral

Registered
Hi there was a thread not too long ago on here about back issues and long journeys but I can’t find it. What does everyone do on here who has back neck issues and have to do long car rides or flights. Recently got stuck in the car for 4 hours due to holiday traffic and despite 2 stops my sciatica flared up badly and I’m still suffering 2 days later. Normally plenty of moving about seems to ease things but my back has clamped tight this time.

If I've got enough room to bring shit on vacation, my theracane, foam roller, and sportneer massage gun (theragun knockoff) are coming with me. If I'm flying and I can't bring much, at least a tennis ball.

I’m staring down a fusion surgery eventually, but I’m not quite there yet… The pain and discomfort suck ass, but I’m not willing to undergo surgery.

So I’ve been focusing a lot on core strengthening and lower back exercises. Been a long slow process, but it has made a huge difference for my pain levels!!!!!

Cage

I’m staring down a fusion surgery eventually, but I’m not quite there yet… The pain and discomfort suck ass, but I’m not willing to undergo surgery.

So I’ve been focusing a lot on core strengthening and lower back exercises. Been a long slow process, but it has made a huge difference for my pain levels!!!!!

Cage
What lower back exercises have you been able to tolerate?

What lower back exercises have you been able to tolerate?
I started out just doing abdominal cable crunches with light weight. Then progressed doing multiple abdominal exercises with weights or just body weight. This was over a ~6 month period.

Once my abdominal core improved I did notice some relief from lower back pain. So I opted for LIGHT good mornings with just a 25lb plate to eventually the barbell. Also started doing deadlifts but with light weights. I still use light weight with good mornings, less than 100lbs. As to deadlifts I’ve moved up in weight to where I’m comfortably doing 10-12 reps of 3-4 sets with 250lbs.

It’s been well over a year easily to get here but it’s steadily improved my lower back pain. Also I’ve implemented a lot of hamstring stretching as well. This makes a difference too. Start light, and don’t over do it!!!!! Just keep exercises consistent!

I’ve reduced my pain, on a typical 1-10 scale from a 9 on shitty days to like a 3-4.

Cage

I also have facet joint pain which is a bitch and by the looks of things not massively curable as it’s essentially arthritis in the joint as they brush together. Like electric shocks in totally random places of my back.

dude, inversion table, foam roller, massage gun, and gabaptentin made huge improvements also core training, yoga, and anti inflammatory lifestyle
I’m down to mainly meat and some veggies fruit but I have still been eating oats potato and rice. Might look at loosing the last 3 and try a pretty much carnivore approach with some berries and a bit of fruit.

I started out just doing abdominal cable crunches with light weight. Then progressed doing multiple abdominal exercises with weights or just body weight. This was over a ~6 month period.

Once my abdominal core improved I did notice some relief from lower back pain. So I opted for LIGHT good mornings with just a 25lb plate to eventually the barbell. Also started doing deadlifts but with light weights. I still use light weight with good mornings, less than 100lbs. As to deadlifts I’ve moved up in weight to where I’m comfortably doing 10-12 reps of 3-4 sets with 250lbs.

It’s been well over a year easily to get here but it’s steadily improved my lower back pain. Also I’ve implemented a lot of hamstring stretching as well. This makes a difference too. Start light, and don’t over do it!!!!! Just keep exercises consistent!

I’ve reduced my pain, on a typical 1-10 scale from a 9 on shitty days to like a 3-4.

Cage
That's really interesting because I was told to avoid all these things. That's what's bothering me. It almost seems like my situation has worsened since I stopped deadlifting, which I REALLY miss.

My back will start to get really tight when standing for 15+ minutes without taking a break to sit down. It doesn't even feel like the pain is coming from sciatica, nerves, or joint pain most of the time. Mostly tightness. I instinctively think that I need to strengthen my back, but I keep getting told to avoid any sort of bending or twisting motions.

I never have anything in my back pockets. Sitting on a wallet is bad, mkay?

My back has been good lately but I used to take off the seatbelt and do hip thrust things if I was hurting.

Inversion table is great was Mail Thai said. Your chiropractor and massage therapist will probably tell you not to bother with it. That’s how you know it works. One of the things that’s been proven to be effective. It’s bad for their business

That's really interesting because I was told to avoid all these things. That's what's bothering me. It almost seems like my situation has worsened since I stopped deadlifting, which I REALLY miss.

My back will start to get really tight when standing for 15+ minutes without taking a break to sit down. It doesn't even feel like the pain is coming from sciatica, nerves, or joint pain most of the time. Mostly tightness. I instinctively think that I need to strengthen my back, but I keep getting told to avoid any sort of bending or twisting motions.
That’s honestly the worst thing you can do is nothing. Strengthening your core slowly first, and introduce hamstring stretches. Once you get your abdominals up to speed and your hammies loose you’ll be good to go on light low back workouts.

I never had any issues training my upper back. But like you, if I stood for any length of time I’d need to sit for a while. My lower back will get super tight almost like my muscles are seizing. I’d sit and lean forward to stretch my lower back to help ease the pain. Doing what I did above has definitely improved my quality of life.

There’s still things I can’t physically do, but for the most part I have an active lifestyle.

Cage

I have bad sciatic pain running down my left leg into my foot, painful as hell sometimes

That’s honestly the worst thing you can do is nothing. Strengthening your core slowly first, and introduce hamstring stretches. Once you get your abdominals up to speed and your hammies loose you’ll be good to go on light low back workouts.

I never had any issues training my upper back. But like you, if I stood for any length of time I’d need to sit for a while. My lower back will get super tight almost like my muscles are seizing. I’d sit and lean forward to stretch my lower back to help ease the pain. Doing what I did above has definitely improved my quality of life.

There’s still things I can’t physically do, but for the most part I have an active lifestyle.

Cage
I was inspired and did some light back and core work at the gym today. Gonna take it slow but I'm excited to take some action. Thanks man. Your description of the muscles "seizing" is dead on.

Hi there was a thread not too long ago on here about back issues and long journeys but I can’t find it. What does everyone do on here who has back neck issues and have to do long car rides or flights. Recently got stuck in the car for 4 hours due to holiday traffic and despite 2 stops my sciatica flared up badly and I’m still suffering 2 days later. Normally plenty of moving about seems to ease things but my back has clamped tight this time.
I got a cupping therapy kit and it is great on my upper back, shoulders, arms, and especially my neck. It has been a game changer for me and I have had chronic pain in my thoracic spine and neck for 20 years. It does leave some nasty circles, although it is as good as deep tissue work from a good massage therapist. It only costs $50 dollars for a quality kit, if you get the cheaper kits the cups will crack after a couple uses.

I just got a TENS unit from the physio today to try out for my upper back pain. Supposed to reduce pain signals. Too early to evaluate just yet. Anyone try this?

I just got a TENS unit from the physio today to try out for my upper back pain. Supposed to reduce pain signals. Too early to evaluate just yet. Anyone try this?
I forget I have it. When I first got it, I would use it on my lower back if I knew I was going to be on my feet all day barbecuing. It seemed like MAYBE it helped, but it was a bit of a hassle. I suppose I should try it again.

Right now I'm focusing on strengthening my lower back again, thanks to this thread.

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws