over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Need Recommendations

Sesshomaru

Kilo Klub Member
Hey guys,

I want to buy a dvd burner for my computer but I dont know how I should do this. First of all, my comp has a drive that burns cds and reads cd/dvds. Now I think I have to just buy an external dvd burner, if thats the case anyone have any recommendations on what to look for? My comp is a dell if that matters.

The other issue is whether I can purchase a piece of hardware that can read and burn cd/dvds to replace my current cd drive thing. This is a more complicated route and Im not sure how that would work or if I need to mess with any software or whatever. Given that Im retarded with computers, this option doesnt seem like it holds the most promise.

I think you may have answered part of your question, I installed an internal dvd burner in my Dell and it went in real smooth.

I have years of computer experience and am very comfortable in doing this type of project.

Now you may find it easier to buy an external and just connect it as per the instructions, or simply pay a qualified tech to install an internal one.

Good luck.

Dells for the most part are pretty simple. You have a choice of 2 interfaces if you want to install internal. I would definitely install internal as external is subject to certain pipe bandwidth/buffer problems. If you open your computer case and look at your current CDRW drive from the back of the drive you will notice it has 2 cable connections. If there is a ribbon style cable that measures over an inch wide on the cable itself, it is EIDE (Enhanced IDE). If it has 2 smaller cables going to it, it is SATA. Since Dell did not run SATA on CDRom drives until the last couple of months (They ran SATA on hard drives for a few years now, but not CDRoms, DVD, CDRW drives), there's a 99.9% chance you have EIDE interface. Now that you probably realize you have and EIDE interface, you have a couple of choices, ranging in options, but I would go for the most options there are for this piece of hardware as they are not that expensive. You will want Double Layer writing capability. What does this do? Well, normal DVD writer drives only write in a single layer and allow for up to 4.7 gig of data. Double layer basically doubles that size by writing to two different layers on the DVD disc itself. This allows for a full movie to be backed up without the need for compression or a program called DVDShrink or similar software. Movie DVD discs on average hold about 6-7 gig by default so you can see why a movie doesn't fit on a 4.7 gig disc without some sort of compression, but 9.4 gig (Double Layer) does. This and the added fact that you will be able to fit 2 times as much data on the DVD also. There is also the "+" and "-" format. Your would want to be able to write to both types of media, as they both have their benefits in certain areas. I looked up a DVDR for you from Dell below that has all options and lists for $109. Yes there are cheaper ones around, but Plextor (the one I listed in the link) is pretty much one of the best, and again has all options. DVDR drives usually start at around $50-$55 and go up from there. Double layer usually around $75, but again, very few have all of the functionality like being able to burn + & - DVDRWs. To install this on any Dell is fairly simple. Just unplug the interface and power cables from the current drive, remove the old drive by either removing one screw and sliding it out or pressing a latch to remove the drive (depends on your model Dell). Once you have the old drive out, it will probably have rails or some type of housing to make it mount into the Dell hardware chassis/case. Guesing that this particular new drive will not come with rails/housing, remove these with the 2 screws per side from the old CDRW drive and install the rails on the new one. Slid it in to the case, fasten it, and connect the cables and you are basically all done besides any software you would want to install for burning. There are jumpers on the back of both drives. leave these jumpers as they are for both the new one and the old one which would be on the CS (cable select) setting as this will be the default from Dell for their computers and is the default from most drive makers. If you want a good burning software probably the best on the market for multpile reasons is Nero Burning Rom from www.nero.com. Most drives will come with software as it is included in the price, which is usually Roxio, but I do not really like Roxio's performance.

Plextor Dual Layer EIDE in black.
**broken link removed**

Also, keep in mind, this is a good price at $109 for this drive. Most places on the internet sell this for around $120. You have to be sceptical over a cheaper price for this particular drive as they are more than likely refurbished.

If you would like to know how to install this drive in tandem with your original drive and have them both work, I would need some more information, and I could walk you through it. But replacing your original drive is probably your easiest route.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Sorry for the delayed response, Ive been working a lot this week and havent been able to get online. Ill definately look into those options and when I buy that drive Ill definately post for some instruction.

used to love Roxio until I used Nero.
WAY better

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner