over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Neuter my 4 y/o dog?

RLara85

Registered
My dog was totally cool, a little crazy but well behaved overall. About two weeks ago he somehow got out (guess the fence wasn't locked)... well, since that day he's been a totally different dog.

He can no longer be outside, he will dig himself out or climb the fence or do whatever to go wander off. He is crying ALL day, I mean non-stop. He's started howling, which he never used to do, and he does it a lot.
It's getting unbearable... I don't know what happened, maybe he got a taste for the streets and liked it or maybe he found some other dog in heat? He's just totally different over night and impossible to calm down.

Would neutering fix this? Is it safe at his age?

i know im a little late on the post but getting him cut isn't going to help your problem... he got a taste of the freedom and wants more.. i suggest talking him to a dog park a few times a week and let him play for an hour or so.

What kind of dog do you have? And how often do you walk/spend time with him?

Neutering your dogs is mandatory in Los Angeles County but so far ive managed to avoid doing this to my boxer. It would suck if you did but I believe you can have them neutered at the age of 1 and above...by 4 he has definetley reached his growth potential.

If your not going to breed the dog (esp at his age), there's really no reason to not get him fixed.

one of mine was neutered at 16

Usually it does take any need to roam out of them. Both of our boy dogs are completely different since having it done. They are less likely to want to chase tail....pun intended;)

I think it calms them down for sure. Had one dog totally change, but he seemed to lose his personality along with his testicles.

Sounds like your dog has some kind of anxiety. Exercising and traing him will certainly get him out of this anxious phase. Dont let it go too long... Neutering a dog is very beneficial for their health...it actually eliminates some types of cancers.

Getting him enough excerise is good....as much as possible. Getting him neutered would help if he is acting that way because there is a female dog in heat. Normally it takes about 2-3 weeks for their hormones to level out so just be patient. But even at the age of 4 its never really too late to have it done.

Neutering usually cures two problems.

running off and spraying

As that is one of your problems i would get it done or you are gonna loose him sooner or later

Neutering your dog will increase his life expectancy if that matters at all to you. I've heard several vets tell me this. I used to think it was B.S until I did some research for myself. If anyone knows why this is, or isn't, please feel free to chime in and "put me in my place".

-Tobz

Neuter and exercise will help the problem...I have a crazy pup and a half way normal one...The crazy one needs at least 45 minutes or more of either play or walk to curb his barking/yelping...He's def. an athlete, but turns crazy if one day goes by with out his training/work out....It's def. more work than I was expecting from him...My other dog needs the same but does not require it for obedience.

After neuter and a daily run/walk things should change...If not, you need to learn how to properly restrain a dog to become submisive...There's a technique to it and you need to learn it so as not to harm your pup.

I can eplain the technique if youcannot find it by searching online. My uncle is a vet., my brother was a tech., and so was I at one point.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Iron Mountain 75
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws