over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Offseason pic

jhh2020

Newbies
Hey guys/gals

It's been about 3months since my first competition(last Nov), and I am in full offseason mode now:) I found myself becoming a fat slob, something I was trying to avoid this time around lol. The dreaded moon-face was also creeping up on me.

I think that my body does not process carbs too well, so I've been following a low carb diet with plenty of good fats throughout the week, along with 1.5-2 high carb days per week. With the intermittent carb ups, my energy levels have been good. I've also been doing cardio(usually the stepmill) ~ 5days/week@ 20min/session. I made theses changes around 3 weeks ago, and a lot of the bloat has gone away...

I'd appreciate opinions on my current offseason shape, tips to keep bodyfat off while growing, and just overall comments as well!:)

the comparison pics are my current pics vs. pics taken last offseason. both weighing around 240lbs@6'0

Last edited:
this one is a few days out from my first contest...At the time I thought I was lean enough, since I had never been in such good condition. But I now see that I needed to diet a couple more weeks....

Last edited:
personally , i think you look good this offseason, a lot better than last offseason...stick to the bf% your at now, you should be fine imo...good luck

You have made some great gains for sure!

Nice work.

BW

yeah man you should be proud of what you have accomplised this past year. looking MUCH improved overall, thick and leaner. what more could you ask for...:s:ar-wars

thanks for the feedback bros! actually, the last offseason pics were taken july, and the recent ones just a few days ago(Jan) so I still have some time to make more improvements...planning to do a show in november.

i think a big part my gains came from the "post contest window" Most of my gains were made during the 4-6 weeks after the show. Then I started to resemble the michelin man after the holiday season lol. Afterwards, I cleaned up my diet and arrived where i'm at now.

i owe a lot to this board, especially people like phil, iabadman, etc. because their posts challenged me to stay relatively lean year round and to stay "healthy". overall I feel healthier, less bloated, fuller muscles etc etc. to sum it up i feel pretty damn good right now lol. once again many thanks to all the knowledgable bros here...hopefully one day, i can also contribute to this board

that is some huge gains..Very impressive !!!

what did you weight at your show?
How did you place?
You have some nice size now
why so much cardio?
I am just asking on the cardio- It looks like you lost way to much muscle for your show, you could have been so much bigger
Some one here could probibly help you a lot with your diet and sups. You have a few things wrong some where.( not much just a few things)
Don't get me wrong- you look great, but you could be so much more
Just my look on it

|--[\\\]>--------- Isnt it awsome to take two pics, one year apart and place them side by side so you can see how much you have improved? great gains over the year!

thanks for all the positive comments bros. really fires me up!

squatster,

i weighed about 95kg(~209lbs) for the show, it was a really small local show here(not in the US) so i won the overall.

i used to do zero cardio in the offseason, but i'm trying to change that. basically to speed my metabolism up, stay leaner, and keep my system healthy as my family has a history of cardiovascular problems. I'm actually starting to like doing cardio:rolleyes: I don't feel it's been detrimental to my gains so far...

as for contest prep, I also think it would be good to have someone guide me...particularly during the last week as none of my "plans" went as expected lol. I don't think I sacrificied a lot muscle mass since the body composition analyzer actually showed a slight gain of muscle. maybe i'm looking a bit flat in that pic...dunno.:confused:

I think you may be focusing too much on relatively minor points and missing the major ones.

The structure, as shown in your competition photos, is really quite good. This shows especially in the side triceps shot that you (correctly) like a lot.

The contest photos show that you need to work on hamstrings, low lats, center of upper back. Your arms, pecs, and abs are your leading body parts at the moment. You could use more delts to create a stronger taper.

Since you feel you have a tendency to gain fat, experiment with doing contest level cardio now while keeping your (clean and low fat) calories fairly high so you don't lose lean body mass. If you start your contest prep around 9% (calipers method; so if you're using something else you'll have to convert that to whatever method you're using), you can get down to competition condition with less loss of muscle.

Keep in mind that's all experimentation until you find what works for you.

In the contest photos for 6' at only 209, you really look pretty thick and well-developed. At a smaller local show, I'm not at all surprised that you won.

KenT

thanks for the critique KenT! I feel honored to receive comments from an IFBB judge!:)

Yep, I do need to work on my back, hamstrings, delts. I actually have always considered my arms a real weak point, but I guess I'm alright then?:cool:

This time around I'll aim to start my prep with a leaner physique, as you've suggested. Admittedly, I did struggle a bit last time, trying to lose all that blubber in time lol. With 1 contest prep under my belt and starting my prep at a leaner state, hopefully everything will fall into place.:)

You're very welcome! Just remember that advice is worth what you pay for it, and as we say here in the States, I haven't gotten a plug nickel! :)

WRTo your arms -- they're actually quite good for where you are now. Good structure to both biceps and triceps, and you've paid attention to developing the triceps (which we know are potentially twice the mass of the biceps) so they are long and full. If you'll note in the back lat spread, there's good thickness to the triceps from this angle which is the tell-tale as to how well they've been worked. The triceps development is actually what is making your arms one of your better body parts. Keep doing whatever you already are and they'll be really great!

I think you have lots of potential to do very well if you choose to pursue this.

KenT

NICE WORK!

THE PROGRESS YOU ARE MAKING IS QUITE EVIDENT! KEEP IT UP!!!!!!!!!!:D

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members