over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Powerlifting for mass?

Maxlift315

Registered
Im gonna try powerlifting for 3-6 months. Have a great program and everything made up! My question is for all those powerlifters out there how has your muscle mass increased while doing it? If you have a 600 pound bench IMO you gotta have the mass to back it but iv seen to many times guys 190 and under lift crazy heavy weight. That could be genes but anyone whos goten some nice mass from doing it please share your experiences. Im gonna try regardless but wanted to know how people have gained in the size department

Hi buddy,...
Power lifting is the best game in the world.Power lifting is the best for mass.
Most of the people like power lifting.this game showed the body fitness.

Powerlifting is not geared towards hypertrophy and in its purest form might even be a step backwards for those seeking mass. Hypertrophy requires a certain amount of time under tension and bodybuilding are always chasing the best pump. Doing max lifts just don't provide enough of a rep range, time under tension or range of motion to build mass the way traditional bodybuilding does.
Take the bench. For a powerlifter the bench is primarily a tricep exercise and secondarily a delt exercise. Pecs are merely along for the ride. If you compete with a bench shirt even less pec involvement.
Squats maybe for bodybuilders its about quads but for a PL its all about hams, glutes, hips and low back. You are always seeking the best leverage position for the shortest range of motion.
I switched from BB to PL years ago and yes I gotta much stronger. But the mass gains were not in proportion. My pecs weren't really any better when I could PL bench 500+ than when I was in the mid 300's for bodybuilding.

Now having said all this I do believe that any bodybuilder or mass seeker would benefit from including some amount of near max effort work as opposed to always living and working in a 6-15 reps range.

Look into 5/3/1 boring but big, and if you really want to put on some size boring but big and really sore.
**broken link removed**

Powerlifting is latin for mass.
If you think about it BB use powerlifts to pack the mass on.
Name a raw powerlifter whose not thick?
Just because u powerlift doesnt mean u gotta stay in the 1-3 rep range
Kaz never went below 10 reps and hes the goat
Powerlift the way that works for u

Name a powerlifter that looks truly like a top bber?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Powerlifting is focused on power.... not mass. Sure it will come. but still for most people its found in the 8-15 rep range. Dont be fooled by all this 5,3,1 stuff. Powerlifters today do a lot more reps than they used to. Its because you can build power with weights as low as 55%.

For me what works best..... wherever I am in my cycle is to target 1 set as an all out work set. Say on the bench its 315 for 10. I will have never done this before and it will be a PR. I go to complete failure in reaching that 10th rep and have put so much into it that I am completely exhausted and muscles have put out 105% work load.

After that set.... im done with the bench.With proper rest and recovery before next bench day..... both mass and strength are 100% optimized.

Matt kroc

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Not to knock him because he's awesome but wouldn't consider him a top bber.. maybe should of said pro...hes been in several articles talked about how he trains like a bber just the typical way...and doesn't powerlifterd or train that way at all....so don't think that would help your argument at all.

Stan also for bbing trains like pretty Much every pro.

Joe deangelis... when doing pl trains like one when bb trains like one. That guy I sick...though strength wise

Powerlifting is focused on power.... not mass. Sure it will come. but still for most people its found in the 8-15 rep range. Dont be fooled by all this 5,3,1 stuff. Powerlifters today do a lot more reps than they used to. Its because you can build power with weights as low as 55%.

For me what works best..... wherever I am in my cycle is to target 1 set as an all out work set. Say on the bench its 315 for 10. I will have never done this before and it will be a PR. I go to complete failure in reaching that 10th rep and have put so much into it that I am completely exhausted and muscles have put out 105% work load.

After that set.... im done with the bench.With proper rest and recovery before next bench day..... both mass and strength are 100% optimized.

I agree ed coan cycles his main lifts and hits the so called bbing lifts for reps... and has quite a few of them same with Kirk karwoski... all that was before all the double ply shirts where in past with loose single ply they relied on muscle power etc....not excessive equipment, poor judging etc...basically making powerlifting look like a joke to any regular athlete...

Any regular athlete is gonna think why do all that and how does that prove so and so is strongest in lifts...why don't we just lift without all that...

Enough ranting...

Josh Bryant and Brian Dobson wrote a book called Metroflex Gym Powerbuilding Basics.
They have a TON of routines in there that they used for Branch and Ronnie, not to mention it's a very strength/power oriented training but for hypertropy.

Great (e)book!

I agree ed coan cycles his main lifts and hits the so called bbing lifts for reps... and has quite a few of them same with Kirk karwoski... all that was before all the double ply shirts where in past with loose single ply they relied on muscle power etc....not excessive equipment, poor judging etc...basically making powerlifting look like a joke to any regular athlete...

Any regular athlete is gonna think why do all that and how does that prove so and so is strongest in lifts...why don't we just lift without all that...

Enough ranting...

I agree. Bench shirts have become the "Deciding factor" these days. When I was younger and did some competing I got a denim shirt made for me. Never could get the dam thing on right. LOL.

Shit... nowadays the best thing a powerlifting coach can do for a guy is get his dam gear on for him. LOL

I agree. Bench shirts have become the "Deciding factor" these days. When I was younger and did some competing I got a denim shirt made for me. Never could get the dam thing on right. LOL.

Shit... nowadays the best thing a powerlifting coach can do for a guy is get his dam gear on for him. LOL

One of the funniest things to watch. Two dudes, wiggling around together to get a shirt or briefs on..... Lol. Never gets old watching them fight them on.

5/3/1 is wonderful man especially the bodybuilding platform, what are you talking about lol? I went to a seminar and asked Wendler about it for bodybuilding purposes and basically he just went on a rant about how wouldn't it be a good tool for bodybuilding , you can tailor it for hypertrophy rep like its prescribed, theres progressive overload, deloads, rep schemes, cadio options, structured programming , 4 of the most meat and potato muscle building compound lifts etc! I've ran 3 different cycles of 5/3/1 and I would HIGHLY reccomend the bodybuilding platform or the boring but big for hypertrophy , give it a shot and see how you grow from it , I know for me its worked wonders and im still using it !

5/3/1 is wonderful man especially the bodybuilding platform, what are you talking about lol? I went to a seminar and asked Wendler about it for bodybuilding purposes and basically he just went on a rant about how wouldn't it be a good tool for bodybuilding , you can tailor it for hypertrophy rep like its prescribed, theres progressive overload, deloads, rep schemes, cadio options, structured programming , 4 of the most meat and potato muscle building compound lifts etc! I've ran 3 different cycles of 5/3/1 and I would HIGHLY reccomend the bodybuilding platform or the boring but big for hypertrophy , give it a shot and see how you grow from it , I know for me its worked wonders and im still using it !

I hear ya. Everyone is ever so slightly different for sure. But most change up their programs at some point because they stall. Powerlifters do not do 5.3.1 exclusively by any means. And for that matter... body builders dont exclusively do 8-20 either.

IMO.. there is no set routine period. There are guide lines to follow and time and percentage cycles. But if it were just a matter of do this xxxxx then everyone would have maximum results and there would be no debate at all on what works.

The guy that gets ahead is the guy that pays attention to how his body is reacting and recovering from the work load he is using at that time. And makes changes accordingly to suit the goal at hand.

I battle these same arguments with myself in my head. Its best to lift to your vision of what you want and discover what is your best way to train not what is others.

I battle these same arguments with myself in my head. Its best to lift to your vision of what you want and discover what is your best way to train not what is others.

Me too. I chase the power moreso than the look. But I dont foresake looking good either. Im sure I get a little fatter than the average BB..... but I sure dont look like the average PL either. When its all said and done.......... Im not sure what the hell I am. LOL

It depends on how you train.
When I'm only doing low rep work like singles, doubles and triples and not really much high repped assistence I dont grow a bit, but I do get stronger.
When I'm doing the low rep work but also do assistence training kind of like a bodybuilder I gain mass too.
I say "kind of" cause I do train in the 8-15 reprange but almost never use machines and don't isolate as much as a bodybuilder would.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Stromba926
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws