over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Secrets to retaining muscle?

amb7470

Registered
Hi all, I was referred to this forum by Pesty4077 for some advice and objectivity. I started seriously training about 6 mos ago and have been told by a few that I possibly have some potential for someone my age. I have a long way to go before thinking about competing (figure over 45) - maybe next spring. In the meantime, I’ve spent the winter working hard on my upper body. I’ve been a cyclist for years so my legs are pretty good. Well developed quads/calves. Anyway, I’m currently training as if I were going to compete at the end of April so as to give myself a definite goal. Plus, I want to see where I will end up once I really cut. There’s my problem. I'm probably around 20% BF right now with about 10 lbs to lose. However, I don’t want to lose the hard earned muscle I gained over the last several months. Any secrets to that end? I have a really clean diet. Right now around 1500 calories/day 40/40/20 with most carbs before 2 p.m. (From what I’ve read, that seems to be the witching hour for when carbs turn into something evil.) Does this sound like a good plan? Any and all advice, encouragement, constructive criticism/witicism welcome. Thanks!

I don't have as much experience as some of the others, but I would make sure to keep the protein intake up, clean up the carbs by removing the dairy and bread-like stuff.

Then go easy on the cardio, too much will really chew up muscle. Keep lifting!

No dairy?

Thanks for the reply. That brings up a question. This isn't the first time I've heard you should not have dairy when cutting. What's the reason for that? My husband and I have both been wondered about this.

I'm up later than Mom tonight, so perhaps I can help.

There are a number of evolutionary arguments as to why humans, in general, don't use cow's milk well, but another thing is the lactose. Lactose is a sugar, and acts like one, so not what yuo want when cutting. Some pople also do not handle the casein (milk protein) well.

There are much better protein sources that are easier to digest, and don't have the sugar - meat, fish, birds, and whey isolate.

Grains? I was a cowboy (true story) in a past life. Know how we fattened up cows for slaughter? Fed 'em lots of low-fat corn. Works equally well with people.

Also, try rotating yuor caloreis and carb, so as not to slow metablic rate. A few days of low carb, then nromal eating for a few days, then repeat.
Ok elaborate on that please.

How about BCAA's

Keep training as heavy as you can. What built the muscle in the first place is what will help you to keep it. As previously posted keep protein high.

The reason carbs are reduced later in the day is that typically people don't need the extra energy (cals from carbs) unless you are lifting at night.

Thanks post-cowboy Dad! The information about dairy makes a lot of sense and is something I've been confused about for a while. No more LF cottage cheese :(

And Phoenix13, due to my work schedule I do cardio in the mornings then weight training in the evening. Should I be eating additional carbs in the p.m. on my weight training days?

My typical diet looks like this:

Breakfast: Oatmeal w/ protein and an apple
Lunch: Chicken, rice or red potato, and maybe salad
PM Snack: Apple/Cottage Cheese (no more) Substitution suggestions?
Dinner: Chicken or fish and veggies
PM Snack: Protein w/peanut butter

I tend to have difficulty getting all my calories in.
Thanks everyone.

I love doing cardio in the AM and weights in the PM. I don't see a huge problem with carbs in the evening. How far out are you from an anticipated contest?

I love doing cardio in the AM and weights in the PM. I don't see a huge problem with carbs in the evening. How far out are you from an anticipated contest?

I'm still undecided on competition. What I'm doing right now is training as if I were going to compete on April 25. Mostly, I want to see what I look like after I really cut. I'd like to get down to 15-16% BF (I'm 47). and see what I need to work on (probably puny shoulders). I likely won't actually compete for maybe another 6-12 mos., to give myself more time to grow. I'm trying to be realistic and this forum is quite an eye opener. At my age I know some of these women have been doing this for many, many years.

And Phoenix13, due to my work schedule I do cardio in the mornings then weight training in the evening. Should I be eating additional carbs in the p.m. on my weight training days?

My typical diet looks like this:

Breakfast: Oatmeal w/ protein and an apple
Lunch: Chicken, rice or red potato, and maybe salad
PM Snack: Apple/Cottage Cheese (no more) Substitution suggestions?
Dinner: Chicken or fish and veggies
PM Snack: Protein w/peanut butter

I tend to have difficulty getting all my calories in.
Thanks everyone.

Your diet actually looks pretty similar to mine. PM snack would be protein shake and almonds or pb for me. You can try that.

On lifting days, I have carbs in a post workout shake. My dinner is the same as yours.

I agree with Mom. Let's maintain your protein intake stably. It is very beneficial for building muslce. As my experience, sardine may be a good choice for you. The abundance source of proteins in sardines will be helpful with muscle building. Beside this protein forms antibodies that keep our immune system stronger. Another important thing is that its taste is quite great, personally, so you can eat them a lot, like me ;););)
For more details about its nutrition facts https://wikihomenutrition.com/sardines-health-benefits/

Thanks for the reply. That brings up a question. This isn't the first time I've heard you should not have dairy when cutting. What's the reason for that? My husband and I have both been wondered about this.
Dairy turns into sugar basically. If you're prepping for a show cut out dairy, cut out whey 3 weeks prior, and any fake sugars too.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Professional Muscle mobile app

You are bumping an old thread here. She hasn't been on in awhile. I am good friends with her husband. They are both good people. Since the time she joined, she went on to win multiple titles in Figure. At 50, she look incredible, not sure how old she is now, but still looks great.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear