over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

shallow abs

cm

IFBB PRO / Kilo Klub Member
IFBB PROS
Registered
I have posted this question on some other boards, but the advice was all the same.

Hoping someone has some tips or experience w/ shallow abs.
I am looking for that ravioli type thickness esp. when I am in the relaxed round poses. This has been a nagging problem for about three years. I have tried many techniques including very heavy weight, no weight, high/ low reps, extereme stretching and so on. My results seem to always be pretty much the same.

Other boards say train with weight,(obviously) or it is genetic. I am fully aware I was not blessed with a thick set of abs, but I am hoping for some advice, for I feel it is holding me back in my placings. I don't seem to make that great first impression on stage, because it seems as though I am smooth. My waist at my last show measured at 28" and the abs really only appear on the ab and thigh pose or when I really bear down on them. I have altered so me of my posing as to not show this weakness, but the main goal is to get rid of the weakness.

Thanks to anybody who can help:)

I don't know how SET on competing you are, but genetics has a ton to do with your placing. That being said, how do you alter genetics......SCIENCE. As advanced as we are, scientifically speaking, there are procedures such as spot liposuction and muscle etching that will give you the appearance you're craving. Everything comes at a price though. It's not cheap, but nothing really is when you take all facets into consideration.

You may have overly dominant hip flexers. A possible way to remedy this is to use a more moderate weight(not light) that requires no momentum, what you want to do is forcefully contract your abdominals as hard as humanly possible on both the eccentric and concentric portion of the movement(eccentric is even more important)make sure you do not hold your breath(this is very important) this will increase the "tonus" of your abdominals, and will improve their ability to contract over time, you should be able to squeeze them harder as you are doing the exercises. I recommend cable based exercises over free weights as the tension remains equal throughout the movement. contracting(statically) of the abdominals while preforming squats and deads will also help, but be very sure to not hold your breath(valsalva manuever) as this can cause a dangerous rise in blood pressure. Make sure you also exercise hip flexers seperatley as not doing so will create a muscle imbalance over time

Rope crucnhes with heavy weight, training the abs the way you do any other muscle group - failure, low rep sets, etc.

If still no go, Syntherol has been used by many people for making the abs thicker.

Remember that pro Tom Terwilliger? He had abs like you are describing.

I'll bet he tried hard to develop them....but he more or less just had that flat sheath of an abdominal wall ...I'll bet if you do a google search you can find some pics of him.

My abs are gradually getting thicker the stronger they get. I do rest pause sets of Hanging Leg Raises and Rope Crunches.

LOL! this guy?

minus the rope and gay pose tis is similar to what my abs look like on stage.
Thanks for the responses.
BTW I don't know what SET on competitions means,(from earlier post) but if you mean it has become an obsession that never seems to end, and I have no intentions of ever stepping on stage w/o being better then I was before, while continuing to push my own genetics boundaries, then yes I am SET.

LOL! this guy?

minus the rope and gay pose tis is similar to what my abs look like on stage.
Thanks for the responses.
BTW I don't know what SET on competitions means,(from earlier post) but if you mean it has become an obsession that never seems to end, and I have no intentions of ever stepping on stage w/o being better then I was before, while continuing to push my own genetics boundaries, then yes I am SET.

What weight do you compete at, and how many years have you been training?, density of ones muscles, which is the characteristic most important for visible abs, is something that takes years and years to develop, abs are one muscle that can definatley improve with age. the best set of abs I have ever seen was on someone in his late 40's. , muscle maturity is somethig that takes time to develop. It is really important to develop the abdominals along with the rest of your body over time, as when dealing with the core muscles, muscle imbalances of the hips and lower back(a result from overtrained abdominals) can become very serious years down the line. I have very thick musculature in my abs, as i used to train them constantly, with heavy weight to the point of overtraining. at 23 I now have lower back and hip pain on a daily basis. I very strongly believe if i was more patient and developed my abs through proper training(thickning my core through increasing poundages on my squats and squats and deads over time) i would be in a lot less pain

What weight do you compete at, and how many years have you been training?, density of ones muscles, which is the characteristic most important for visible abs, is something that takes years and years to develop, abs are one muscle that can definatley improve with age. the best set of abs I have ever seen was on someone in his late 40's. , muscle maturity is somethig that takes time to develop. It is really important to develop the abdominals along with the rest of your body over time, as when dealing with the core muscles, muscle imbalances of the hips and lower back(a result from overtrained abdominals) can become very serious years down the line. I have very thick musculature in my abs, as i used to train them constantly, with heavy weight to the point of overtraining. at 23 I now have lower back and hip pain on a daily basis. I very strongly believe if i was more patient and developed my abs through proper training(thickning my core through increasing poundages on my squats and squats and deads over time) i would be in a lot less pain

I have no doubt it is largely genetic, as I have done very minimal ab training in my life yet still have visible abs even at 13 or 14%bf. I will say that heavy squats, deads, and weighted chins have helped thicken my abs but its not like I do anything more than alot of us do, its just one of my very few genetic strong points. I do wonder if the fact that I obviously avoid overtraining abs has helped them grow. Anyhow, good luck on refineing your look, and don't get discouraged.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
methyl m1ke
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws