over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

So very confused - make sense of this

Baal

Registered
I talked with this guy at my gym today whos about 250lbs and extremely vascular and very well defined ( probably 8%bf? no idea ).

Anyway I asked him how he stays so lean. He says, saturday and sunday he quits eating and drinks a lot of water, sometimes protein shakes but nothing solid.

This to me makes no sense as that would just slow down your metabolism? I guess if he was taking a thyroid stimulator... this just sounds messed up.

Theres no way hes telling the truth? Or hes doing something else thats really getting him the results. Just thought I would let a few others scratch their head on this one.

many questions to ask here
1- what does he eat the rest of the week
2- why would his metabolism slow down if he did that
3- how many protein shakes does he drink on those two days
4- what's his training like
5- is he inclined to having a fast metabolism

Nothing wrong with not eating much 2 days per week... it's all about the whole picture, and not the little details that are sometimes out of context ;)

maybe he didn't feel comfortable giving you his REAL regimen?

maybe he didn't feel comfortable giving you his REAL regimen?

Agreed, or he's using some gym juice and didn't feel comfortable telling you what he uses. But I can't see that being the "main" reason for him staying lean.

many questions to ask here
1- what does he eat the rest of the week
2- why would his metabolism slow down if he did that
3- how many protein shakes does he drink on those two days
4- what's his training like
5- is he inclined to having a fast metabolism

Nothing wrong with not eating much 2 days per week... it's all about the whole picture, and not the little details that are sometimes out of context ;)

1.Nothing abnormal..8 meals a day, 10-12oz of meat with rice or potatoes.

2.I really dont have an answer for you. I just assume after fasting your metabolism would be slower than it is trying to digest a ton of food.

3.I didnt ask, it sounded more like he takes them to fight hunger pains.

4. Heavy/intense

5. No idea, but he always does cardio after every workout.

Agreed, or he's using some gym juice and didn't feel comfortable telling you what he uses. But I can't see that being the "main" reason for him staying lean.

I know what he uses and its nothing special by any means.

I know what he uses and its nothing special by any means.

Don't take offense bro because none is intended, but how do you know for sure? Other than what he choses to tell you?

No offense taken man, no worries at all.

I dont know for sure, I just choose to believe what he tells me is true.

I guess whats being hinted at is, the belief it has more to do with what hes taking, than what hes doing nutritionally? for something like this to occur?

Last edited:
IMO, what he takes does matter a little bit but what matters most is that he has found what works for him. He does cardio after his workouts which keeps his metabolism pretty elevated and allows him to eat those 8 meals during the week. If you think about it.....he takes 5 steps forward during the week and 2 steps back on the weekend.....to me he is still 3 steps ahead.

so he's saying his liquid diet twice a week is how he stays so lean? honestly as much as we hate to here it as I know quite a few people like this who just stay lean naturally and eat whatever they want, it's just their genetics and metabolism. Maybe this guy you know doesnt have a good metabolism or something if you don't know that i would'nt just yet rule that out I know plenty of people who use a little bit of stuff nothing special and naturally are very lean and crazy vascular and have always been like that on or off. Some people just have better genetics for certain things, I always say we all have our pros and cons like some people can gain muscle very easily but don't stay crazy lean year round and those people who are lean year round and have a very hard time gaining muscle hate people like that who can gain muscle by just looking at food! lol.. but it's the hard truth and reality.

so he's saying his liquid diet twice a week is how he stays so lean? honestly as much as we hate to here it as I know quite a few people like this who just stay lean naturally and eat whatever they want, it's just their genetics and metabolism. Maybe this guy you know doesnt have a good metabolism or something if you don't know that i would'nt just yet rule that out I know plenty of people who use a little bit of stuff nothing special and naturally are very lean and crazy vascular and have always been like that on or off. Some people just have better genetics for certain things, I always say we all have our pros and cons like some people can gain muscle very easily but don't stay crazy lean year round and those people who are lean year round and have a very hard time gaining muscle hate people like that who can gain muscle by just looking at food! lol.. but it's the hard truth and reality.

agreed, I don't want to be seen as saying that's its a "secret" combo at all. It could be the man just has great genetics or responds to reasonable doses in a great way

I think its safe to say we've concluded there's nothing special about starving yourself.

Phil Baroni, the MMA fighter, I think says that he fasts one day a week.

I've never felt that what I do for one or two days slows metablolism that much, especially if I'm still hitting it with LBA or Shakes. I do this occassionaly if I'm off track.

I know many bodybuilders that fast one day on the weekend but not two. Although he is drinking some shakes where the people I know actually fast and eat nothing.

If it works for him, it works for him.

Who knows, maybe if he ate those days he would have even more muscle mass and be just as lean.

Everyone has their own way of doing things that works for them.

I eat fast food once or twice a week and I stay ripped, it's what you're doing the other 80% of the time that counts.

Even if the guy is stretching the truth, their usual is a little truth in every lie.

People in this sport always lie about what there taking, how much, and how long they've been on/off, etc.

Sometimes a guy also just gets sick of hearing "how do you do it?".. "what do you eat?".. "What do you take?"...

Gets redundant after a while, especially when you know that any advice you give to certain people won't be followed, and if so, only for a short period of time.

Anytime I hear about some goofy diet or training regimen that some "guy at the gym" is using "that works great for them!", think of this....

How good could they be if they did not do their goofy bs and stuck to tried and proven methods?

Just because some douchbag is getting results from starving himself on the weekends, does not mean he could not be getting better results from eating in a healthy manor.

advice from Vince?

Anyway I asked him how he stays so lean. He says, saturday and sunday he quits eating and drinks a lot of water, sometimes protein shakes but nothing solid.

This to me makes no sense as that would just slow down your metabolism? I guess if he was taking a thyroid stimulator... this just sounds messed up.

He may have picked this up from either Vince Gironda or one of Vince's underlings. Vince was known to advocate a short cleansing period ( either no supplements at all, including vit/min, or replacing solid foods for liquid) of two days to "detoxify" the body.

Then when you resume your regular regimen your body will grab the available nutrients. This is something along the lines of how the body treats carbs when you reintroduce them after a carb-starving episode.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Iron Mountain 75
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws