over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Some thoughts

Oh

I see......you get your clients to lose fat first and muscle is a "bonus".........I get my clients to gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously.......just 2 different approaches I suppose. If you do things correctly, I believe you do both and there is no way around it........its impossible to not lose fat IF you are gaining muscle......should I bold my last statement for you? Should I add some of these.....little faces?

sorry...

i guess that i read through the post a bit fast. so i missed the part where you said that it was possible to gain muscle and burn fat.

Calories certainly play a role in fat loss, but not as big as you might think

calories play a HUGE role. regardless of what your macros are, if you eat to many calories, you'll get fat.

I have questions from a bodybuilding perspective...So, do you think that going into a offseason mode is overrated? Do you think that we should just make adjustments everytime we add lean muscle weight in order to keep gaining or suit are needs? I guess what I am asking is should we be dieting all year long just with more calories in order to gain muscle and lose fat? Why do people always cut weight for shows if it is possible to keep gaining lean tissue and losing fat at the same time?

I may have just confused you all, but I hope you get what I am trying ask.

I have questions from a bodybuilding perspective...So, do you think that going into a offseason mode is overrated? Do you think that we should just make adjustments everytime we add lean muscle weight in order to keep gaining or suit are needs? I guess what I am asking is should we be dieting all year long just with more calories in order to gain muscle and lose fat? Why do people always cut weight for shows if it is possible to keep gaining lean tissue and losing fat at the same time?

I may have just confused you all, but I hope you get what I am trying ask.

It seems to me that the people that have to cut alot of weight for contests, just got lazy with their cardio and ate alot of "crappy" food. What good would alot of bfat do you in the off season?

It seems to me that the people that have to cut alot of weight for contests, just got lazy with their cardio and ate alot of "crappy" food. What good would alot of bfat do you in the off season?

Couldn't agree more with you, Queefer. :)

Even though I'm guilty of such lazyness myself... :eek:

A little late but that was a good read Shelby...great post

I agree...I am just wondering how the hell some of these guys out there put on slabs of meat without putting on a ton of weight first (well, I know genetics play a role). I love training in the offseason and try to eat as much clean food as possible. Of course, I catch myself eating some pizza here and there, but for the most part sticking to the foods that got me lean, just more of them.

I see......you get your clients to lose fat first and muscle is a "bonus".........I get my clients to gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously.......just 2 different approaches I suppose. If you do things correctly, I believe you do both and there is no way around it........its impossible to not lose fat IF you are gaining muscle......should I bold my last statement for you? Should I add some of these.....little faces?

I've lost fat and gained muscle as well as strength.

Good read shelby. There are a lot of good points. I agree with you that muscle itself is the most effective fat burner.

Pretty basic stuff, thought I'd share:

1. Muscle is the best fat burner.

So if you want to burn fat, you need to do everything you can to maintain the muscle mass you have, and possibly even increase it. This means not changing your training to “etch in the cuts” or “bring out the separation”.
Continue training for strength, with progressive resistance in mind (more weight and/ or more reps). Anything less tells your body it doesn’t need to maintain the muscle it has.

Also, don’t worry about counting “calories”. Calories certainly play a role in fat loss, but not as big as you might think. Pay more attention to macronutrient needs (proteins, fats, carbohydrates) and how they each impact your metabolism and hormonal status.
Leave the calorie-counting for the Weight Watchers folks who madly want to see the scale drop, even if its precious muscle they’re losing.

2. You can’t serve two masters (AND you need to be patient).

I often get clients who come to me and say “I’m 180 pounds at 20% body fat – I want to be 210 pounds at 10% body fat – we’ve got 12 weeks – LET’S DO THIS!”.

Ok back up for a minute. First of all, that type of transformation is HUGE and entails the loss of a very significant amount of fat as well as a very significant muscle gain. Such a task is going to take even the most genetically gifted individual at least a couple years to accomplish (not to mention that genetically gifted are never 180 pounds and 20% body fat to begin with). Be realistic in your time frame and realize that changes of this nature don’t happen overnight, or even by the next school term. They take years to manifest, and that’s assuming you’re doing EVERYTHING correctly (diet, training, cardio, supplementation, etc.).

Second, it is much more efficient to focus on ONE goal at a time, i.e. fat loss or muscle gain. If you’re not very lean, focus first on losing the fat first, THEN devoting a period of time to putting on muscle while staying relatively lean. Trying to do both at once is a great way to accomplish neither. This is not to say that I don’t have clients who gain strength and even muscle while dieting, but the goal is always on fat loss (with muscle preservation) and gains are a nice “bonus”.

3. Learn to love the process.

Make healthy eating and training a lifestyle, not just a means to an end. To do otherwise is a recipe for disaster and a pretty solid guarantee that any progress you make will be short-lived.
Learn to love the work, and it won’t be work anymore.
Make the realization that you’re making conscious choices and actions that lead to a better you.

And a cool quote I read today:

You don’t get to choose how you’re going to die. Or when. You can only decide how you’re going to live. Now.
-Joan Baez

Well stated. I am really impressed how you continue to evolve into a very good teacher, writer and trainer. :)

Very possible but a slow process comparatively wouldn't you say?

Very possible but a slow process comparatively wouldn't you say?

I don't know about a slow process, But through my experience and training under Phil I seem to get bigger, stronger and leaner when preparing for a contest. I would almost say that my pre-contest gains are better than my off-season......

Just my 2cents:eek:

Yes

I don't know about a slow process, But through my experience and training under Phil I seem to get bigger, stronger and leaner when preparing for a contest. I would almost say that my pre-contest gains are better than my off-season......

Just my 2cents:eek:

I agree..........you are proof, SAGABOY is proof.....AEILOP is proof..gettingbigger is proof.....what more do we need to say?? We can sit here all day and ponder........ but the proof is in the people.

I've gained muscle and lost fat at the same time, lost muscle and gained fat at the same time, lost fat and muscle at the same time, and lost fat and gained a very pretty girlfirend.

I still think the process i enjoy the most is gaining fat and losing muscle, sitting infront of the tv drinking beer and doing nothing takes some beating, but i'm lazy :)

Nice info nice read.

I agree that staying relatively lean you can make better gains.. DatBtrue has talked about being in single digits bodyfat before even considering AAS usage.. Getting that lean primes your body for better results.. I guess your muscle become sponges and readily absorb nutrients and grow better.. So i guess by staying lean year round you keep your body primed for growth...

I think you guys are giving the guy a hard time. I think he probably meant dramatic effects in both cases which is simply impossible for anyone but the genetic elite, or a guy who leans out on tons of juice, usually being clean in the off season. For the average person I just can't see it, but I'm no expert.

BTW, he said he said don't count calories, pay attention to macronutrients. I think this flew past many of your headS, too. For instance (and I'm not advocating a keto diet) but Palumbo for instance has his guys on 1.5 grams of protein per bodyweight, .5 grams of fat per bodyweight, and about 40 grams of trace carbs. Now depending whether you choose Olive oil or Peanut butter (for example) your calories daily will come out to roughly 2,200-2,350. That will almost always put a 200lb bodybuilder in a calorie deficit.

Last edited:

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Stromba926
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner