over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

the waistline

SVFootball

Registered
id like to discuss this a little more (and hopefully without flaming). A lot of guys now are against the larger waist, saying its pulling away from bodybuilding and the true look of the old-school bodybuilders. now i do agree that the trim waistline does look great and does show the V-taper nicely, but its not always in the control of the bodybuilder. i know some of them get WAY out of competition shape (trey brewer thread....) but i do feel that the waistline isnt entirely in the competitor's hands.

genetically speaking, certain people are prone to larger waist lines. i know that personally i dont have a slim waist line, i have naturally wide hips. it helps me play fullback, but its a huge hinderance in bodybuilding. now theres nothing i can do about my wide waist, but i can still put on a huge amount of muscle to try to make that waist look slimmer. so how do i get that slim waist? i CANT. its IMPOSSIBLE. i cant change my bone structure.

so i do see where everyone is coming from with the desire to go back to the slim waist line look of the good old days of bodybuilding, but some of these guys might not be able to control that.

so let it fly guys....what do you think? :D

genetics are a factor, but the waist is in control of the bodybuilder more then you would think, almost all the out of control waist in bodybuilding are guilty of over eating, taking too much gear, and getting too huge in the off season.

although I do love the look of the old, smaller waist bb'ers I think some one like Jay with a thicker waist balances it well with his sheer thickness up top. But i'm probably in the minority.

You can minimize your waist line by avoiding hip pulling movements. However, if you want to build mass maximally and keep your strength for football this isnt really a great option. I think you best answered your question in your starting post and that is to get a bigger upper body to make your waist look smaller.

I wonder Just How much it realy Changes?

I mean Look How Overweight Lee Priest was a few years ago in those Muscle Tech adds. Then Once he shed it all Off His waist didnt seem to be a problem at all from all the pictures Ive seen. No Loose skin, No stretchmarks Just some Chisled up Abs! Doesnt apear (To Me) to be any larger Once the Fat is dropped.

Are there some good examples of Guys In stage condition that Use to Have Tiny waist But Later down the Road Had the same conditioning But a Much Larger waist?
Maybe Ronnie Coleman? Seems Like Ive seen Him with what apeared to be a Huge Gut when relaxed But when he was posing all Abs were showing but Still a thick Mid-section? But Maybe if he wanted to Give up some size he could Eat less-Or different and Eliminate that?
Im Just thinking outloud as to what might makes sense...Im sure no expert.

id like to discuss this a little more (and hopefully without flaming). A lot of guys now are against the larger waist, saying its pulling away from bodybuilding and the true look of the old-school bodybuilders. now i do agree that the trim waistline does look great and does show the V-taper nicely, but its not always in the control of the bodybuilder. i know some of them get WAY out of competition shape (trey brewer thread....) but i do feel that the waistline isnt entirely in the competitor's hands.

genetically speaking, certain people are prone to larger waist lines. i know that personally i dont have a slim waist line, i have naturally wide hips. it helps me play fullback, but its a huge hinderance in bodybuilding. now theres nothing i can do about my wide waist, but i can still put on a huge amount of muscle to try to make that waist look slimmer. so how do i get that slim waist? i CANT. its IMPOSSIBLE. i cant change my bone structure.

so i do see where everyone is coming from with the desire to go back to the slim waist line look of the good old days of bodybuilding, but some of these guys might not be able to control that.

I Guess the questions in my mind would be.....
Q1-
Ive heard many times that SQuats and deads will make your waist Bigger.
Can certain training styles "spread your Hips" or Make your actual muscles in your waist-stomach Thicker?? Lower Back Muscles Maybe?? enough to Make a noticable difference in the end Once its contest day?

Q2-
Maybe its your Insides, Not your muscles?
Can to much insulin,Hgh or AAS cause your Stomach-waist to grow from the inside out?

Q3-
If You Gain To Much fat in the offseason (lets just take training style and supps out of the picture for a min) Can it actualy change the size of your waist line EVEN once the fat has been dropped after many weeks of a good diet?

just my opionins

Heavy trainging over time can cause a weaking of the transversus abdominus the muscle responsible for sucking/drawing the waist in and protecting organs from floping around. It is certanly preventable, but some of these guys are so big and get so strong with the rediculous poundages they can use they lose that part of proper form they had when using lighter weights. I doubt ronnie can do everything perfectly when he is hoisting 6-700 lbs on the deadlift.Iv'e seen ronnie dead on his videos he does not tighten his transversus muscles on the dead,squat or bench, it is prety obvious. This is one of the reasons, I don't know enough about insulin and drug use to have any clue about that. Many oldschool pros used to do "the vacum" to prevent this but the muscles will still waken over time, Even under there guts most power lifter also have this problem. they are often not as fat as they look, this is the reason for the "Huge gut" aappearance. It is a result of throwing around really heavy weight over a long period of time
spinal erecters will thicken and so can ones obliques, but I think the diffrence would be minimal

as for the skin/fat, the skin density might increase but not enough to change the size of ones waist, once the weight is lost their might be a difference in millimeters certainly not by inches

Last edited:
although I do love the look of the old, smaller waist bb'ers I think some one like Jay with a thicker waist balances it well with his sheer thickness up top. But i'm probably in the minority.
We're in the minority, I guess...
When I watch bodybuilding I just want to see some freaks. I want to be impressed by incredibly oversized muscles. Waist size isn't that important to me. I certainly don't want to see guys smaller than the gymrats I see everyday.
most old guys seem to be stuck in the old days when bodybuilding was almost healthy and Mr. O was 220 lbs ':)
that's nice but you can't stop progress

just my opionins

Heavy trainging over time can cause a weaking of the transversus abdominus the muscle responsible for sucking/drawing the waist in and protecting organs from floping around. It is certanly preventable, but some of these guys are so big and get so strong with the rediculous poundages they can use they lose that part of proper form they had when using lighter weights. I doubt ronnie can do everything perfectly when he is hoisting 6-700 lbs on the deadlift.Iv'e seen ronnie dead on his videos he does not tighten his transversus muscles on the dead,squat or bench, it is prety obvious. This is one of the reasons, I don't know enough about insulin and drug use to have any clue about that. Many oldschool pros used to do "the vacum" to prevent this but the muscles will still waken over time, Even under there guts most power lifter also have this problem. they are often not as fat as they look, this is the reason for the "Huge gut" aappearance. It is a result of throwing around really heavy weight over a long period of time
spinal erecters will thicken and so can ones obliques, but I think the diffrence would be minimal

as for the skin/fat, the skin density might increase but not enough to change the size of ones waist, once the weight is lost their might be a difference in millimeters certainly not by inches

I think your mistaken brother. Heavy training will strengthen the TVA, this might be the main reason for wider waists, among others. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
lets not just think about the muscles and gut...think about bone structure. a lot of good points have been brought up already, but think about this:

if someone has naturally wide hips (the BONES), how are they supposed to get that slim waist? no matter how flat they get it, it'll still be wide (in terms of proportionality to the shoulder width)

i just dont think its all drugs, bulking, etc. to blame

i dont think bulking has the blame, think almost everyone knows its caused by eating too much at one sitting, and continuing this pattern over months and years. the intestines grow from drugs as well as large portion sizes being digested. this causes the abdominal wall to protrude making it look like u have a large stomach or gut. however, just because u do heavy weights or have a "wide" waist i think is a cop out.i think if ur waist is considered wide, u dont have enough muscle in ur legs or upper body. if u have a small narrow waist, its not gunna get out of control overnite.

Man..... Nobody ever mentions visceral fat..... jeezus.... Happens extremely often in diabetics who use insulin very sparingly..... the insane abuse of slin that alot of these guys do causes huge deposits.... in other words just cause you lean on the outside doesn't mean your lean on the inside...

Man..... Nobody ever mentions visceral fat..... jeezus.... Happens extremely often in diabetics who use insulin very sparingly..... the insane abuse of slin that alot of these guys do causes huge deposits.... in other words just cause you lean on the outside doesn't mean your lean on the inside...

very true....i didnt even think of that.

if someone has naturally wide hips (the BONES), how are they supposed to get that slim waist? no matter how flat they get it, it'll still be wide (in terms of proportionality to the shoulder width)

You’re answering your own question… wide hips = wide waist… no getting around it.

It all comes down to genetics.

At 154 on stage my waist was 23" .............But, at 5'6 it really makes me look bigger then Iam on stage! I guess its just a genetic thing because my Dad has a small waist too..........Thankfully Squats and deads doesnt put any thickness on my waist. Try to eat half way decent year around though.

You can minimize your waist line by avoiding hip pulling movements. However, if you want to build mass maximally and keep your strength for football this isnt really a great option. I think you best answered your question in your starting post and that is to get a bigger upper body to make your waist look smaller.

I don't agree with this fully, I use a 25lb and do all sorts of hip bending exercises, I will start with side bends and swivel the plate to my front and behind my glute, I go very fast and probably do a few hundred reps total each arm, I notice a huge difference after doing this consistently. Much more definition on the mid section, with a weight/rep range like that though I think its doubtfull I will gain mass on my waist line.

I Guess the questions in my mind would be.....
Q3-
If You Gain To Much fat in the offseason (lets just take training style and supps out of the picture for a min) Can it actualy change the size of your waist line EVEN once the fat has been dropped after many weeks of a good diet?

I don't think it has a lot to do with body fat at all, my original thinking was based on over eating. Getting so full that your stomach literally hurts, I don't know about you guys but when I've been on the right mix of stuff, eq/test/t3 even I can EAT A LOT. and if its the "off season" theres no restrictions right? Not many at least, I don't think guys are responsible with breaking there meals up enough on the off season, eating too much in one portion. I noticed my waist grow while my body fat maintained, simply by the way I ate. I have since (the last 6 months) restricted portions on every meal, and how full I get. I have gained about 3 loops in my belt from the change.

I wish you guys would get off the subject of "bone structure" and "genetics", explain this if its genetics (oh and I'm not done):

Attachments

• yates waist.jpg
    yates waist.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 281
The great Serge Nubret... My favorite body of all time. I think there is about a 20yr gap between these photos, his waist has obviously thickened though:

Attachments

• Serge Nubret.jpg
    Serge Nubret.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 439

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
methyl m1ke
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner