over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Vitamin D Absorption Problems!

muscle96ss

FOUNDING Member / Featured Member / Verified Custo
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
I just got my blood results back and my vitamin D levels are 26.9, which is low. What makes this odd is before bed each night I take 10 drops of LEF Vit D3 2000iu per drop. Last week my wife got her blood test back and her vitamin D levels were 92.7(almost toxic) and she takes the exact same vit D I take and at the exact same time as I do except she only does 6 drops. So, it obviously is not that there is something wrong with the vitamin D I am taking. Instead there is obviously something wrong with me where it is not getting absorbed properly. Anybody have any ideas of what might be competing with it? I take vitamin C, L-tryp, melatonin, singulair, and ZMA, and an occasional Temazepam at the same time.

Maybe it's the tren you're running (from your earlier post of estro help you laid out your cycle)? I know when i run tren it screws up all my electrolytes and minerals so i have to drink an 8oz glass of V8 almost everyday along with some pedialyte if needed as well as 1.5g of Magnesium and maybe a banana or two. My D3 levels also tested low while running tren so taking D3 5000iu twice a day now.

I know you said you're supplementing with D3 now but maybe you have other imbalances going on causing your D3 to still be low? Not well versed on this but what I've personally noticed on myself at least.

Anti estrogens are also known to lower vitamin d levels

Insufficient MAGNESIUM INTAKE. Without a significant and proportionate amount of bioavailable magnesium (preferably obtained via food sources) intake, your Vitamin D is useless. Very common, you'll actually FEEL the difference right away..

Is that you BNS?:D

I highly highly doubt tren is doing anything to your vitamin d levels....that's silly. It's not an electrolyte or mineral. Your wife may naturally synthesize more...and should probably halve her dose and re-test. Are you taking it with fats? I'm not sure if you saw my post months ago, but after taking 10,000iu of NOW D3, I tested at 38 or 39....well below what I was expecting. I have plans to investigate eventually by repeating the test with Jarrow D3 and if it is still low I will have to dig deeper and find out what is occuring.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

How important are vit D to supplement?

I'm not really clued up on it

How important are vit D to supplement?

I'm not really clued up on it

Paramount! Pretty much everyone should be supplementing with it to achieve higher levels since low 25hydroxy vitamin D levels are practically a health epidemic.

Proof/Link?

Here you go:Influence of drugs on vitamin D and calcium metabolism
And here is the anti estrogen part specifically

Anti-Estrogens

The anti-estrogens include the following:

[filled square] aromatase inhibitors, such as anastrozole, letrozole, and exemestane,

[filled square] the estrogen receptor antagonist, fulvestrant and

[filled square] the selective estrogen receptor modulators, tamoxifen and toremifene.

All these active substances are used in the treatment of estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer. As aromatase inhibitors block estrogen synthesis and thus markedly reduce estrogen levels, treatment with these active substances also results in a severe reduction of the effect of estrogens on bone. Estrogens promote intestinal calcium absorption and bone mineralization; above all, however, they inhibit osteoclast activity. During aromatase inhibitor therapy, up to 50% of women report bone and muscle pain. Intake of aromatase inhibitors reduces bone density and increases the risk of bone fractures. Similar effects are likely following administration of a pure estrogen receptor antagonist; no data are yet available, however, on the long-term effect of fulvestrant on bones.42-44

Selective estrogen receptor modulators have estrogenic or anti-estrogenic effects, depending on the tissue. Whereas tamoxifen reduces the effects of estrogens in the breast, its effect on bone more closely resembles that of an estrogen receptor agonist and it shows a certain antiresorptive effect. Nevertheless, a decrease in bone density was observed in various studies during tamoxifen therapy, particularly in pre-menopausal women. Further side effects occurring in association with tamoxifen are bone and muscle pain and a rise in serum triglyceride levels.45-47

Aromatase inhibitor associated arthralgia limits adherence to therapy in breast cancer. The pathophysiology may involve vitamin D status. Vitamin D deficiency is associated with a syndrome of musculoskeletal symptoms with generalized nonspecific musculoskeletal pain and stiffness, as well as impaired muscle strength and function that is similar to that induced by aromatase inhibitors therapy.44 Hypovitaminosis D has been suggested as an underlying etiology in individuals with persistent, nonspecific musculoskeletal pain, comparable with the symptoms of osteomalacia.48 In addition to musculoskeletal symptoms, vitamin D deficiency has been implicated in accelerated bone loss in women with breast cancer receiving aromatase inhibitors therapy.49 A possible mechanism of AI-induced musculoskeletal symptoms and their improvement with vitamin D supplementation is that reduction in joint estrogen levels may unmask subclinical vitamin D deficiency. Estrogen increases activity of 1-α hydroxylase responsible for conversion of 25(OH)D to the biologically active 1,25(OH)2D.50,51 In addition estrogen increases expression of the Vitamin D receptor and VDR gene via activation of ERK 1/2 signaling pathway Increasing vitamin D substrate via higher doses may increase the active hormone 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D with resultant reduction in joint symptoms.52,53

A prospective study with 290 women investigated the effect of vitamin D status on the occurrence of arthralgia during treatment with aromatase inhibitors, such as anastrozole, letrozole and exemestane.39 At baseline, 90% of the women had a calcidiol value < 30 ng/ml (75 nmol/L). Despite vitamin D supplementation with 800 IU daily and, depending on the baseline value, sometimes with an additional 16,000 IU every two weeks, adequate 25(OH)D levels were only achieved in half the women within a three-month period. During the course of the study, there was an increase in joint pain (mean 1.16 points SD 2.66; p < 0.001) and the increase was significantly (p = 0.02) attenuated in those that reached concentrations of 25(OH)D of ≥ 40 ng/ml, with a lower risk of incident arthralgia [OR 0.12 (0.03 to 0.40)]. A target concentration of 40 ng/ml 25(OH)D may prevent development of AI-induced arthralgia but higher loading doses are required to attain this level in women with deficiency at baseline.54

In a pilot study the prevalence of suboptimal vitamin D status in 60 women initiating adjuvant therapy with letrozole for breast cancer was assessed, and determined, whether the supplementation of 50,000 IU vitamin D per week could reduce musculoskeletal symptoms and fatigue associated with aromatase inhibitors therapy. Baseline 25(OH)D levels were obtained, and women were started on letrozole. Four weeks later, women with baseline 25(OH)D levels ≤ 40 ng/mL were started on vitamin D supplementation of 50,000 IU per week. At week 16, after 12 weeks on high-dose vitamin D, 25(OH)D levels were measured. At baseline, 63% of women exhibited vitamin D deficiency [25(OH)D: < 20 ng/mL] or insufficiency [25(OH)D: 20–29 ng/mL]. 25(OH)D levels > 40 ng/mL were achieved in all 42 subjects who received for 12 weeks 50,000 IU vitamin D per week, with no adverse effects. Furthermore, the vitamin D therapy with 50,000 IU vitamin D/week resulted in clinically significant improvement in disability from joint symptoms.55,56 This early data on vitamin D supplementation under aromatase inhibitors therapy look promising, but results from larger clinical trials are needed.

Maybe it's the tren you're running (from your earlier post of estro help you laid out your cycle)? I know when i run tren it screws up all my electrolytes and minerals so i have to drink an 8oz glass of V8 almost everyday along with some pedialyte if needed as well as 1.5g of Magnesium and maybe a banana or two. My D3 levels also tested low while running tren so taking D3 5000iu twice a day now.

I know you said you're supplementing with D3 now but maybe you have other imbalances going on causing your D3 to still be low? Not well versed on this but what I've personally noticed on myself at least.

Not on any tren, it was deca. I try to avoid tren at my age.

Not on any tren, it was deca. I try to avoid tren at my age.

What levels were you hoping to achieve? I'm at the point where I have read so much...that I'm not sure if 40, 60, or 80 is truly optimal.

If you are supplementing with vitamin D you better supplementing with vitamin K too.

Vitamins D and K: ‘The Gatekeeper and the Traffic Cop’

One of the undisputed benefits vitamin D provides for you is improved bone development by helping you ABSORB calcium. This is not news -- we have known about vitamin D and the absorption of calcium for many decades.

But there is new evidence that it is the vitamin K (specifically, vitamin K2) that directs the calcium to your skeleton, while preventing it from being deposited where you don't want it -- i.e., your organs, joint spaces, and arteries. A large part of arterial plaque consists of calcium deposits (atherosclerosis), hence the term "hardening of the arteries."

Vitamin K2 activates a protein hormone called osteocalcin, produced by osteoblasts, which is needed to bind calcium into the matrix of your bone. Osteocalcin also appears to help prevent calcium from depositing into your arteries.

You can think of vitamin D as the gatekeeper, controlling who gets in, and vitamin K as the traffic cop, directing the traffic to where it needs to go.

Lots of traffic -- but no traffic cop -- means clogging, crowding, and chaos everywhere!

In other words, without the help of vitamin K2, the calcium that your vitamin D so effectively lets in might be working AGAINST you -- by building up your coronary arteries rather than your bones.

There is even evidence that the safety of vitamin D is dependent on vitamin K, and that vitamin D toxicity (although very rare with the D3 form) is actually caused by vitamin K2 deficiency.5

**broken link removed**

I just got my blood results back and my vitamin D levels are 26.9, which is low. What makes this odd is before bed each night I take 10 drops of LEF Vit D3 2000iu per drop. Last week my wife got her blood test back and her vitamin D levels were 92.7(almost toxic) and she takes the exact same vit D I take and at the exact same time as I do except she only does 6 drops. So, it obviously is not that there is something wrong with the vitamin D I am taking. Instead there is obviously something wrong with me where it is not getting absorbed properly. Anybody have any ideas of what might be competing with it? I take vitamin C, L-tryp, melatonin, singulair, and ZMA, and an occasional Temazepam at the same time.

"For years, I took 5,000 to 10,000 IU of vitamin D3 first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. My blood test readings would come back slightly above or below the optimal number of 50 ng/mL.

For about a month I started taking 5,000 IU of vitamin D3 with my heavy meal. This was a bit challenging because I seldom eat heavy meals.

The results, however, were compelling. My latest blood test result came back at 84.7 ng/mL, the highest I have every achieved. This almost matches the Cleveland Clinic Foundation study showing a 56% increase in 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels when vitamin D is taken with the heaviest meal of the day."

**broken link removed**

Yes, it's me, BigNShredded (Ross Erstling). Good to be back fellas :cool:

I initially thought this but could not see the avatar on tapatalk. Now that I'm on my PC, it's obvious. :welcome:

Yes, it's me, BigNShredded (Ross Erstling). Good to be back fellas :cool:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He82NBjJqf8]Who Let the Dogs out??- Baha men Original version - YouTube[/ame]

:welcome: back Ross :)

Insufficient MAGNESIUM INTAKE. Without a significant and proportionate amount of bioavailable magnesium (preferably obtained via food sources) intake, your Vitamin D is useless. Very common, you'll actually FEEL the difference right away..

I know you said preferably from food; but I am already taking each day:

2000mg Magtein(144mg of mag Threonate)
80mg calcium magnesium phylate
400mg magnesium from Life Extenion Mix multivitamin formula
450mg magnesium aspartate

Shouldn't that be enough magnesium in itself to allow the absorption of the D? I take the mag aspartate at same time as the D and take the Magtein about 30 minutes before.

What levels were you hoping to achieve? I'm at the point where I have read so much...that I'm not sure if 40, 60, or 80 is truly optimal.

Hoping to be around 80, want to be on the high end but not toxic. I am a firm believer in high levels of vit D being correlated with longevity.

If you are supplementing with vitamin D you better supplementing with vitamin K too.

Vitamins D and K: ‘The Gatekeeper and the Traffic Cop’

One of the undisputed benefits vitamin D provides for you is improved bone development by helping you ABSORB calcium. This is not news -- we have known about vitamin D and the absorption of calcium for many decades.

But there is new evidence that it is the vitamin K (specifically, vitamin K2) that directs the calcium to your skeleton, while preventing it from being deposited where you don't want it -- i.e., your organs, joint spaces, and arteries. A large part of arterial plaque consists of calcium deposits (atherosclerosis), hence the term "hardening of the arteries."

Vitamin K2 activates a protein hormone called osteocalcin, produced by osteoblasts, which is needed to bind calcium into the matrix of your bone. Osteocalcin also appears to help prevent calcium from depositing into your arteries.

You can think of vitamin D as the gatekeeper, controlling who gets in, and vitamin K as the traffic cop, directing the traffic to where it needs to go.

Lots of traffic -- but no traffic cop -- means clogging, crowding, and chaos everywhere!

In other words, without the help of vitamin K2, the calcium that your vitamin D so effectively lets in might be working AGAINST you -- by building up your coronary arteries rather than your bones.

There is even evidence that the safety of vitamin D is dependent on vitamin K, and that vitamin D toxicity (although very rare with the D3 form) is actually caused by vitamin K2 deficiency.5

**broken link removed**

I take the vitamin K2 formula from Life Extension; started that about a year ago or so after reading something similar.

"For years, I took 5,000 to 10,000 IU of vitamin D3 first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. My blood test readings would come back slightly above or below the optimal number of 50 ng/mL.

For about a month I started taking 5,000 IU of vitamin D3 with my heavy meal. This was a bit challenging because I seldom eat heavy meals.

The results, however, were compelling. My latest blood test result came back at 84.7 ng/mL, the highest I have every achieved. This almost matches the Cleveland Clinic Foundation study showing a 56% increase in 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels when vitamin D is taken with the heaviest meal of the day."

**broken link removed**

Another friend mentioned the same thing; said that it is fat soluble and might be better absorbed with fats than before bed when I am hungry. I just finished dinner and took my vitamin D3 afterwards and am gonna stick with that for a while and retest in a couple months.

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear