over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

wireless Network adapter help

drwost

Registered
I just purchased a wirless adapter for my laptop for internet. The adapter is from Linksys. I loaded drivers and installed the card. It seems to be working saying I have a connection and all that, but when I open the browser, no internet connection?

any ideas?

I have win XP with the Explorer browser

how far away is the main conect or are u in a hot spot

I am not sure if it is a "hot spot or not" the indicator on the software says connection is very good to excellent. I really don't know what that means

There are so many variables here that this is going to be hard to walk you through it since you are a lamen on network connectivity. You might even be connecting to someone else's access point.

I can tell you this however, if you were only using a cable modem or a DSL modem prior to hooking this up, you will need to disconnect power to the modem and router. Then connect up power to the modem and let the modem boot all the way up which usually takes 15-20 seconds. Once this is done, make sure the WAN or Internet port, not one of the LAN ports are connected to thye modem and boot the router. Once this is done, make sure your wireless card is connected to your router and try your internet connection. If you have DSL it may be necesary for your tech support tot walk you through putting in your PPoE username and password into your router, if the DSL provider requires one to access the network.

good post Kaiser... now can u help me to make mine secured.. i havent been using my wireless because I dont know how to make it secured =(

good post Kaiser... now can u help me to make mine secured.. i havent been using my wireless because I dont know how to make it secured =(

No problem Babe. What is the make and model of the wireless router you have?

I have a belkin wireless g plus router

okie dokie.... hold on model #F5D7231-4

Is it a Plus MIMO?

If i knew what that meant i could answer LMAOOOOO

Is it a Plus MIMO?

Nevermind on this, you just posted the model at the same time. I found the docs for it, but I am at the Lexus dealer using their computer and it does not have acrobat reader on it believe it or not. I will be able to set you up when I get to one of my computers. It should be fairly easy after that. Just one question, do you want a double layer of security or a single? Most home users only use one. The difference? For the additional layer, you would need to manually add a computer's wireless adapter MAC address to the router before it will associate with the access point so that you could finally put in your security encryption key (which will probably be WPA2 if your computer and router can handle it). I would suggest the simpler of the 2 and just go with a single layer. Up to you.

one layer is fine.... simplest is the best.. i live in an apt complex.. so i just dont want other people on my network

There are so many variables here that this is going to be hard to walk you through it since you are a lamen on network connectivity. You might even be connecting to someone else's access point.

Actually i was thought that what this card was for...I may be wrong about that. A friend told me to buy the card and you can patch into your neighbors internet. that is what i was trying to accomplish.
If I can't do that then I am just going to return the card. I don't have any internet access in my house

Actually i was thought that what this card was for...I may be wrong about that. A friend told me to buy the card and you can patch into your neighbors internet. that is what i was trying to accomplish.
If I can't do that then I am just going to return the card. I don't have any internet access in my house

Then you are way outside of the realm of accomplishing internet connection via this forum because the variables are now 10 fold. Neither I, or anyone else in this forum predict what another person has set up on their router. You can bet though, if i was there, I'd get in :D

Babe, I am on my way out for drinks and I don't drunkin program a router. I will take care of your issue tomorrow babe.

ok thanks.... if u want u can PM me with the instructions

thanks K
I am going to try to call tech support and see what happens...

Well, here we go Buff:

For the online manual:

**broken link removed**

First step is to obviously have your PC up and running and connected via a network cable which you obviously already have. Open Internet Explorer and in the address bar type 192.168.2.1, and hit enter. The router has no password by default so just click Submit on the password page.

You will then se a Belkin sumary page which is the built in setup utility. Over to the left you will see Wireless, under that you will see the settings that we will configure.

You will see Chanel and SSID. (Page 46 in the manual) You can feel free to leave your channel at 11 if you want. This just stops interference from other wireless routers if you start getting bad connections. You should however set your SSID so that you can see that you are connected to YOUR wireless network, so name it something that makes sense, then click Apply Changes. Protected Mode is also for high traffic areas. You may want to put this on if you are as you say living in a complex.

You will also see "Security", this is where we will set up your encryption. From Security Mode, select WPA-PSK. Below that you will need to use the drop down and select "AES". You will then need to put in a key, and this is case sensitive so do not have your caps lock button on. You can look at this as something of a password for your wireless network, although it actually isn't. Type in something for your key there. It has to be at least 8 characters for WPA. Click "Apply Changes".

That's pretty much it, you are set, but before you close your browser, you might want to consider setting a password for your router. This was for the password prompt in the beginning that you left blank. To do this look over to the left again and you will see System Settings towards the bottom. Click that and Change the administrator password to something you know. This will not be the key that you have to type into your laptop for a wireless connection. It will only be for logging into this administrative system settings page on the router. This is also case sensitive so, again do not leave your caps lock button on. If you forget the password later on down the road you could always reset it by holding in the reset button on the back. Make note that this reset button will remove all of your wirless settings you just configured so use it only in an emergency.

Now, the simplest way to see your access point at this time would be to reboot. when you log back in to your laptop, tou will probably see some sort of balloon prompt at the bottom right of Windows XP. It is hard for me to tell if you are using Windows to configure wireless or you are using a third party utility to configure wireless, but we'll assume you are using Windows. When it does prompt, click the balloon and you should see your wireless router in the list of available access points. You will know it's yours because it will have the name you put in for the SSID as shown above in step 1. Double click your router and it will prompt you for a password. This is CaSe SeNsItiVe so make sure you do not have the caps lock button on. Hopefully at that point you will get a successful connection. Let me know how things work out or if you have any more questions.

ok none of that stuff worked..... no clue whats going on

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
mvdds
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity