over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Brief exposure to performance-enhancing drugs may be permanently 'remembered'

Saizen

Registered
Brief exposure to anabolic steroids may have long lasting, possibly permanent, performance-enhancing effects, shows a study published today [28 October] in The Journal of Physiology.

Previously, re-acquisition of muscle mass – with or without steroid use – after periods of inactivity has been attributed to motor learning. However, this new data from the University of Oslo suggests that there is a cellular 'memory mechanism' within muscle of brief steroid users.

The team investigated the effects of steroids on muscle re-acquisition in mice and discovered greater muscle mass and more myonuclei – which are essential components for muscle fibre function – were apparent after returning to exercise.

Professor Kristian Gundersen explains how they carried out the study and the results found:

"Mice were briefly exposed to steroids which resulted in increased muscle mass and number of cell nuclei in the muscle fibres. Three months after withdrawal of the drug (approximately 15% of a mouse's life span) their muscles grew by 30% over six days following load exercise. The untreated mice grew insignificantly."

The findings might have consequences for the exclusion time of doping offenders as brief exposure to anabolic steroids might have long lasting performance-enhancing effects.

Prof Gundersen says:

"The results in our mice may correspond to the effects of steroids lasting for decades in humans given the same cellular 'muscle memory' mechanism. The new results might spur a debate on the current World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) code in which the maximum exclusion time is currently two years." Additionally, the data suggests that strength training when young might be beneficial later in life since the ability to generate new myonuclei is impaired in the elderly.

Future studies should include human muscles and further investigation into the cellular and molecular mechanism for muscle memory.

Brief exposure to anabolic steroids may have long lasting, possibly permanent, performance-enhancing effects, shows a study published today [28 October] in The Journal of Physiology.

Previously, re-acquisition of muscle mass – with or without steroid use – after periods of inactivity has been attributed to motor learning. However, this new data from the University of Oslo suggests that there is a cellular 'memory mechanism' within muscle of brief steroid users.

The team investigated the effects of steroids on muscle re-acquisition in mice and discovered greater muscle mass and more myonuclei – which are essential components for muscle fibre function – were apparent after returning to exercise.

Professor Kristian Gundersen explains how they carried out the study and the results found:

"Mice were briefly exposed to steroids which resulted in increased muscle mass and number of cell nuclei in the muscle fibres. Three months after withdrawal of the drug (approximately 15% of a mouse's life span) their muscles grew by 30% over six days following load exercise. The untreated mice grew insignificantly."

The findings might have consequences for the exclusion time of doping offenders as brief exposure to anabolic steroids might have long lasting performance-enhancing effects.

Prof Gundersen says:

"The results in our mice may correspond to the effects of steroids lasting for decades in humans given the same cellular 'muscle memory' mechanism. The new results might spur a debate on the current World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) code in which the maximum exclusion time is currently two years." Additionally, the data suggests that strength training when young might be beneficial later in life since the ability to generate new myonuclei is impaired in the elderly.

Future studies should include human muscles and further investigation into the cellular and molecular mechanism for muscle memory.

This was one of the reasons why I decided to try a test cycle, to have permanent physiological improvements that last a lifetime. It might also explain how some guys can juice for years, go off, and then later on blow up again with lower doses.

Great news.

Good news for anyone who decides to come off :)

I can see at low doses, but anything 600+ type gains would be hard to keep post cycle.

Pretty interesting information, I can definitely believe it. I would love to read more about this.

Kevin Levrone comes to mind, hes "natural" now but the kind of gains he made were nothing short of amazing.

G

Pretty interesting information, I can definitely believe it. I would love to read more about this.

Kevin Levrone comes to mind, hes "natural" now but the kind of gains he made were nothing short of amazing.

G

http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1826065

The above thread references what I believe is the same study cited above in more detail.

Below I copied the post made in that thread. The charts and pics wouldn't copy, but are in the original thread.

:D

Testosterone propionate can have permanent effect on muscles, says animal study

Good news for chemical bodybuilders who'd like to change to a steroid-free lifestyle, but are afraid that they'll lose all the muscle that they've so carefully built up. Researchers at the University of Oslo in Norway did tests with mice and discovered that a considerable amount of the effect of testosterone administration on muscle tissue is permanent.

Athletes who've managed to – say – do six reps with 120 kg, and then don’t touch a barbell for ten years, will probably lose nearly all the muscle mass they've built up. But if they resume training, then they'll get that lost muscle mass and strength back in no time at all. The phenomenon is called 'muscle memory'.

In 2010 the Norwegians published an animal study in PNAS in which they described how muscle memory works. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20713720 We borrowed the figure below from the publication.

If you train muscles the fibres absorb more stem cells. These stem cells then grow into adult muscle cells in the muscles.

The increase in the number of muscle cells in your muscle fibres makes your muscles stronger and bigger. If you stop training, then your muscle cells will become smaller, but the extra cells remain in your muscles.

In 2010 the Norwegians concluded that strength athletes can continue to derive benefit from their muscle strength into old age. Moreover, the researchers suspect that steroids users continue to derive benefit from the courses they've taken for years after stopping.

"Anabolic steroids have been shown to increase the number of nuclei", the researchers write. "Thus, the benefits of using steroids might be permanent and should have consequences for the exclusion time after a doping offense."

The animal study that will soon be published in the Journal of Physiology shows that the Norwegians were on the right track in 2010. In the new study the researchers implanted pellets containing testosterone propionate in mice [Steroid pellet]. These meant that there was much more testosterone circulating in the animals' bodies for a period of two weeks than in the bodies of the mice in the control group – the latter had been given an implant that did not contain an active substance [Sham pellet].

As a result of the raised testosterone level, the number of muscle cells in the muscle fibres [Myonuclei] of the mice in the testosterone group increased by 66 percent. Their muscle fibres became 77 percent thicker [CSA].

After fourteen days the researchers stopped administering testosterone propionate. The number of muscle cells in the mice's muscle fibres remained the same, but the dimensions of the muscle fibres decreased.

After a period of three months the researchers forced the mice to exercise their muscles more than normal for a period of six days [Overload]. The muscles of the mice that had received testosterone grew faster than those of the mice in the other group.

"Our data demonstrate that in least in mice, an episode of testosterone use may recruit a long lasting pool of excess myonuclei, and a persistent increased ability to regain muscle mass by resistance exercise in the absence of further steroid exposure", the Norwegians write. "Thus, the benefits of even episodic drug abuse might be long lasting if not permanent in athletes. Our data suggests that World Anti-Doping Code calling for only two years of ineligibility after a conviction for steroid use, should be reconsidered."

The study was partly financed by Anti Doping Norway and the WADA.

Source: 
J Physiol. 2013 Oct 28.

Last edited:
Encouraging study, i really need to start a cycle

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

I can see at low doses, but anything 600+ type gains would be hard to keep post cycle.

You're not understanding what they mean. It's not about "maintaining your gains". It's about the muscle being permanently changed in comparison to a natural.

I've always wondered if that worked that way. Good info.I'm definitely gonna do more research on that.

Defiantly have lasting effects. I've done many cycles but am currently having a lot of fun lifting naturally right now after being off a year. My levels just came back to 100%. I want to go back on but I don't want to fuck my natural levels up again.

I am not nearly as strong and don't recover as fast but I'm very happy with my aesthetic look. I have an advantage over anyone that is natural and never cycled but there's nothing like being on.

I believe it also.

I see a lot of guys who used gear in the grams per week now stick to low dose 500mg and less and still look almost as good slowly over time. I don't think they could have done it without using the high doses first.

Permanent benefits, its the gift that keeps giving.

I usually keep alot in strength gains but lose most of mass...Not all....if i gain twenty ill prob keep 6 but if i put 50lbs on a lift ill keep 30 or so...average of course..but i cycle very infrequently...I have read the satellite cells inc maybe reason for keeping the mass...You end up shrinking but the muscle cells are there multiplied for increase...Does this make any sense? lol...Read this long ago and just trying to remember the main subject

I have never in my life met someone that juiced like you are supposed to (ate enough, trained right, used test) and went back to their same ssize prior to.

My first cycle was at 23, and I got burnt out from training and eating right, drank a lot... and while I gained a lot of bad weight and lost some muscle, I was always able to get to Damn near peak strength after 2-3 weeks of hopping back into training using nothing but preworkouts drinks and protein.

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws