advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Dat's - CJC-1295 & GHRP-6 (Basic Guides)

Another bloody question

Dat like many others I've been trying to absorb your independent unaffiliated and purely informal but nevertheless encyclopedic information on CJC, which another brainiac BBer on another forum calls God, and think you're lucky your generosity has not gotten you buried in queries. So I'll add one myself: there is only one brief mention in this forum of test in combination with CJC/HGRP-6 and that's yours. I'd like to follow that one up; I assume you mean cypionate, and from a vague recollection, that's only necessary once a week. Can you combine all three in the same syringe? Otherwise I intend to try the 5 day on/2 day off pre-bed protocol others have discussed here. Also I'm interested in combining this with galantamine, another acetylcholinesterase inhibitor, but this one is known for it's capacity for generating intense dreams. I figure since GHRP has only a two hour pulse, and galantimine is continuous, that when GHRP isn't functioning, the galatamine is--if this isn't too much of a fruit salad. Also can such a protocol be pursued indefintely. Thanks and you really are a treasure big guy. Fact.

I don't want to get this thread of course, all the info is awesome. But I wanted to add that I'm not going to be doing a cjc/ghrp cycle, given my schedule, I just can't pull off that many injections per day. What I am interested in doing and plan on starting next week, is a cjc/huperzine A combo. What do you know about this? As far as I've researched it suppresses somatostatin levels, which can elevate gh and igf levels even more. I'm looking for lean mass, planning on using for 6 months. What can I expect? Anything would be great, I really appreciate any info on this, thanks!

I don't want to get this thread of course, all the info is awesome. But I wanted to add that I'm not going to be doing a cjc/ghrp cycle, given my schedule, I just can't pull off that many injections per day. What I am interested in doing and plan on starting next week, is a cjc/huperzine A combo. What do you know about this? As far as I've researched it suppresses somatostatin levels, which can elevate gh and igf levels even more. I'm looking for lean mass, planning on using for 6 months. What can I expect? Anything would be great, I really appreciate any info on this, thanks!

Just answered your PM w/ the same question.

what do u think of this protocal:

cjc 2 times a week at 250mcg monday and thurs

ghrp 1000mg a week at 200mcg per ed monday-friday

basically id like each "vial" to last 4 weeks and hopefully acheve good gains while doing so...

please feel free to make any adjustments just as long as you can sort out a way to make each vial last minimum 4 weeks atleast..if thats not possible then i can maybe deal with 2-3 weeks per vial

thanks

Change the GHRP-6 dosing to 140mcgs and take it pre-bed every night of the week. Your sleep and night-time pulse will thank you.

In fact, especially older guys, but most of us could benefit from just taking 100mcg of GHRP-6 pre-bed each night.

I did that for a couple of months (I love to try minimal dosings over prolonged periods of time). I loved that protocol. Deeper sleep and a larger night-time Slow Wave Sleep GH pulse. It probably ended up doubling perhaps tripling my 24 hour GH-release (i.e. restored it to youthful levels).

Unlike w/ CJC-1295 there was no lethargy and my mood was happy. :)

Of course this was no bodybuilding dose but over the course of 2 months I noticed positive effects in my core.

Anyway dose the GHRP-6 each night.

...there is only one brief mention in this forum of test in combination with CJC/HGRP-6 and that's yours. I'd like to follow that one up; I assume you mean cypionate, and from a vague recollection, that's only necessary once a week. Can you combine all three in the same syringe?

NO.

Any estered injectable steroid is based in oil w/ solvents. It is injected deep in muscle to form a depot from which it slowly releases. The needles and syringes are larger.

Peptides are more sensitive and reside in bacteriastatic water. The amount used is small and injection is made via a tiny insulin syringe usually into fat...but not very deep.

The two types of compounds are incompatible.

Otherwise I intend to try the 5 day on/2 day off pre-bed protocol others have discussed here. Also I'm interested in combining this with galantamine, another acetylcholinesterase inhibitor, but this one is known for it's capacity for generating intense dreams. I figure since GHRP has only a two hour pulse, and galantimine is continuous, that when GHRP isn't functioning, the galatamine is--if this isn't too much of a fruit salad. Also can such a protocol be pursued indefintely. Thanks and you really are a treasure big guy. Fact.

I'm not a big fan of ac-inhibitors. I just answered this in a message though so I'll repost it here. Just keep in mind that you don't want to "kill" Somatostatin. It plays a significant role in creating the important pulsation and helps provide breaks from constant GHRH stimulation which is a good thing.

The Growth Hormone Releasing Peptides have several modes of action which all contribute to growth hormone release. One of their modes of action is that they INDIRECTLY increase GH secretion by reducing release of somatostatin (the GH inhibiting hormone) from the hypothalamus and DIRECTLY by reducing the magnitude of somatostatin's inhibiting action once it binds to the pituitary cells.

So I'm not sure if using a cholinesterase inhibitors along with GHRPs would add it anything. The GHRPs of course effect the release directly via the GHS-Receptor and indirectly by inducing GHRH at the hypothalamus so GHRPs are more beneficial.

GHRP-6 is also very cheap.

Now the young people (lets say below 30) they don't seem to benefit as much from inhibiting somatostatin & its mode of action as do older people. As we age the signaling becomes less favorable to GH release.

From the studies:

GHRH + cholinesterase inhibitor = GH release
GHRH + GHRP = larger GH release

The question is does GHRH + GHRP + cholinesterase inhibitors = even greater GH release.

Anyway here are two human studies you might be interested in that demonstrate the effectiveness of cholinesterase inhibitors.

Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, Vol 72, 467-470

Intranasal administration of neostigmine potentiates both intravenous and intranasal growth hormone (GH)-releasing hormone-induced GH release in short children

E Ghigo, M Procopio, J Bellone, E Mazza, M Mucci, MF Boghen, EE Muller and F Camanni

Administration of cholinergic agonists increases both basal and GH-releasing hormone (GHRH)-induced GH secretion, probably acting via inhibition of endogenous somatostatin release.

The aim of our study was to verify in two groups of children with idiopathic short stature the effect of intranasal administration of neostigmine (inNS; 3 mg), a cholinesterase inhibitor, on basal GH levels as well as on the somatotroph response to GHRH when the peptide was administered either iv (ivGHRH; 1 microgram/kg) or intranasally (inGHRH; 10 micrograms/kg).

In group A (n = 6; age, 10.6-16.0 yr) inNS induced a significant GH increase [inNS vs. saline, area under the curve (AUC; mean +/- SEM), 263.7 +/- 60.2 vs. 73.8 +/- 3.1 micrograms/L.h; P less than 0.03] and potentiated the somatotroph response to ivGHRH (inNS with ivGHRH vs. ivGHRH, 1316 +/- 183.0 vs. 644.9 +/- 154.5 micrograms/L.h; P less than 0.03). In group B (n = 6; age, 11.5-15.9 yr) ivGHRH induced a GH rise clearly higher than that induced by inGHRH (604.2 +/- 154.3 vs. 137.1 +/- 28.2 micrograms/L.h; P less than 0.03). Administration of inNS induced a GH rise similar to that occurring after inGHRH (AUC, 239.2 +/- 69.5 micrograms/L.h) and markedly increased the inGHRH-induced GH response (482.4 +/- 103.6 micrograms/L.h; P less than 0.05 and 0.03 vs. inNS and inGHRH, respectively), so that it overlapped with that induced by ivGHRH alone.

In conclusion, cholinergic agonists such as neostigmine are able to increase both basal and GHRH-induced GH secretion in short children even when given intranasally. Combined intranasal administration of neostigmine and GHRH (10 micrograms/kg) is able to induce a GH rise similar to that induced by ivGHRH alone (1 microgram/kg), suggesting the potential usefulness of this combination cocktail and route of administration for the treatment of short stature.​

Exp Gerontol. 2005 Mar;40(3):157-63. Epub 2004 Dec 23

The age-related down-regulation of the growth hormone/insulin-like growth factor-1 axis in the elderly male is reversed considerably by donepezil, a drug for Alzheimer's disease

Obermayr RP, Mayerhofer L, Knechtelsdorfer M, Mersich N, Huber ER, Geyer G, Tragl KH

GH secretion declines by 14%/decade of adult life, leading to the suggestion that people over the age of 60 years are functionally GH deficient. Recently, rivastigmine, a novel cerebral selective cholinesterase-inhibitor (ChEI), was shown to be a powerful drug to enhance GH release to repeated GHRH stimulation in healthy elderly human subjects.

The present study was designed as a randomised controlled trial to evaluate long term effects of donepezil, a cerebral selective ChEI, on basal GH and IGF-1 levels and on GH response to GHRH (1 microg/kg i.v., GHRH test) before and after an 8-week donepezil treatment period.

Donepezil was given orally 5 mg per day for 4 weeks and 10 mg per day for another 4 weeks. Twenty four healthy male volunteers (n=2 x 12, placebo group vs. donepezil group, age: 61-70 years) were studied. Donepezil treatment group: basal GH levels taken at 08:30 a.m. doubled from 0.4+/-0.3 to 0.8+/-0.4 ng/ml (p=0.008). GHRH-test: GH-AUC was 318+/-227 ng/ml/h and increased by 53% to 485+/-242 ng/ml/h (p=0.009). Total serum IGF-1 levels, taken simultaneously with the basal GH levels, showed a considerable increase, too: the baseline IGF-1 levels increased by 31% from 84+/-19 to 110+/-21 ng/ml (p=0.007).

This study demonstrated that the age-related down-regulation of the GH/IGF-1 axis is reversed considerably by donepezil in the elderly male. Future investigation will reveal whether such a new therapeutic intervention can delay the onset or even reverse some manifestations of the somatopause in the long term and evaluate its benefit/risk ratio concerning new treatment implications.

Last edited:
thanks Dat. ur info is always appreciated...

so i can def do 100-104mcg per night of ghrp6

but i think u forgot to answer my question : is 500 mcg of cjc a week, split mon and thurs sufficient enough to see anything combinde with the 140mcg ed of ghrp6?

my goal is to make both vials last about a month

Think you may have missed my question or it was too dumb to answer.

I started your suggested BB dose of CJC/GHRP-6 this week, along with a fairly heavy 14 week ASS cycle. Do you have an idea as to when one can expect to start noticing the results of the CJC/GHRP-6 combo?

I have run the same AAS cycle many times before, but this time I'm using the CJC/GHRP combo. I'm curious as to what to expect, and when to expect it.

I'm trying to add more mass and harder more defined core, I know I could better my results using slin...I just don't trust myself enough to use it.

Thanks again bro!!!

VictorZ06 said:
Think you may have missed my question or it was too dumb to answer.

No Vic I just missed it.

VictorZ06 said:
I started your suggested BB dose of CJC/GHRP-6 this week, along with a fairly heavy 14 week ASS cycle. Do you have an idea as to when one can expect to start noticing the results of the CJC/GHRP-6 combo?

I have run the same AAS cycle many times before, but this time I'm using the CJC/GHRP combo. I'm curious as to what to expect, and when to expect it.

In general every place you have ever seen GH mentioned in a cycle and results reported by someone you can insert CJC-1295/GHRP-6. That can serve as your guide.

Usually a "prime" of GH is beneficial to do for a while before raising your dose to that which you would use on a cycle...so the same probably holds for CJC-1295/GHRP-6.

People who have run both report that the CJC/GHRP is faster acting then the GH.

Beyond that there is really nothing more I can add.

VictorZ06 said:
I'm trying to add more mass and harder more defined core, I know I could better my results using slin...I just don't trust myself enough to use it.

There is way more to my use of insulin then you might imagine.

There is the fact that GH-GHR complex activates a signaling pathway that is also used by insulin & is important for cellular proliferation. There is the fact that insulin receptors & GH receptors in target tissue are co-localized, There is the fact that insulin plays a part in the biogenesis of growth hormone receptors. There is the fact that there is cross talk between IGF-1 & Insulin receptors...even resulting in hybrid receptors. There is the fact that insulin can play a part in resensitizing one of the post-receptor signaling pathways used to promote growth...There is the fact that GH & insulin act synergistically to produce IGF-1...

...there is way more to it at the intra-cellular level...

So I can not extrapolate from my own experience because it will be different from your own.

I can tell you that I have recently been using just 700mcgs per week of CJC-1295 on cycle whereas before for 6 weeks on cycle I used 2.1mgs.

Although my growth rate continues I can tell that the larger dose played a more significant role in keeping me lean during insulin use.

The following was from a post I made at AM a month ago.

I am tired of seeing the same wrong explanations on why insulin & growth hormone are anabolic so lets take a look. I don't feel like writing an article so I'll just borrow from a couple of sources.

Insulin physiology

It is often stated that the primary benefit of insulin in bodybuilding is that it increases the uptake of glucose into muscle and further that this movement of glucose is insulin dependent. But that is not exactly true. It may not be widely known but it is clearly established that insulin is NOT needed for glucose uptake and utilisation in man and therefore glucose uptake is NOT insulin dependent

There is a sufficient population of glucose transporters in all cell membranes at all times to ensure enough glucose uptake to satisfy the cell’s respiration, even in the absence of insulin. Insulin can and does increase the number of these transporters in some cells but glucose uptake is never truly insulin dependent.

Stimulatory & Inhibiting actions

Through stimulating the translocation or movement of 'Glut 4' glucose transporters from the cytoplasm of muscle and adipose tissue to the cell membrane insulin increases the rate of glucose uptake to values greater than the uptake that takes place in the basal state without insulin.

When insulin is administered to people with diabetes who are fasting, blood glucose concentration falls. It is generally assumed that this is because insulin increases glucose uptake into tissues, particularly muscle. In fact this is NOT the case and is another error arising from extrapolating from in vitro rat data. It has been shown quite unequivocally that insulin at concentrations that are within the normal physiological range lowers blood glucose through inhibiting hepatic glucose production without stimulating peripheral glucose uptake. As hepatic glucose output is 'switched off' by the inhibiting action of insulin, glucose concentration falls and glucose uptake actually decreases. Contrary to most textbooks and previous teaching, glucose uptake is therefore actually increased in uncontrolled diabetes and decreased by insulin administration.

When insulin is given to patients with uncontrolled diabetes it switches off a number of metabolic processes (lipolysis, proteolysis, ketogenesis and gluconeogenesis) by a similar inhibiting action. The result is that free fatty acid (FFA) concentrations fall effectively to zero within minutes and ketogenesis inevitably stops through lack of substrate. It takes a while for the ketones to clear from the circulation, as the 'body load' is massive as they are water and fat soluble and distribute within body water and body fat. Since both ketones and FFA compete with glucose as energy substrate at the point of entry of substrates into the Krebs cycle, glucose metabolism increases inevitably as FFA and ketone levels fall (despite the concomitant fall in plasma glucose concentration).

Thus insulin increases glucose metabolism more through reducing FFA and ketone levels than it does through recruiting more glucose transporters into the muscle cell membrane.

NOTE: The above was taken from:

Mechanism of action of insulin in diabetic patients: a dose-related effect on glucose production and utilisation, Brown P, Tompkins C, Juul S & Sonksen PH, British Medical Journal 1978 1239–1242.

Anabolic effect

Through facilitating glucose entry into cells in amounts greater than needed for cellular respiration insulin will stimulate glycogen formation.

It is possible to increase muscle bulk and performance not only through increasing muscle glycogen stores on a "chronic" basis but also to increase muscle bulk through inhibition of muscle protein breakdown. Just as insulin has an inhibiting action in inhibiting glucose breakdown in muscle glycogen, it also has an equally important inhibiting action in inhibiting protein breakdown.

The evidence now indicates that insulin does NOT stimulate protein synthesis directly (this process is under the control of growth hormone (GH) and insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I)). It has long been known that insulin-treated patients with diabetes have an increase in lean body mass when compared with matched controls. This results from insulin's inhibition of protein breakdown in muscle tissue.

Growth Hormone Anabolic Actions

GH’s major action is to stimulate protein synthesis. It is at least as powerful as testosterone in this effect and, as they both operate through distinct pathways, their individual effects are additive or possibly even synergistic. In addition to stimulating protein synthesis, GH simultaneously mobilises fat by a direct lipolytic action. Together, these two effects are responsible for the 'partitioning' action of GH whereby it diverts nutritional calories to protein synthesis, possibly through using the energy derived from its lipolytic action. It most likely stimulates protein synthesis through mobilisation of amino acid transporters in a manner analogous to insulin and glucose transporters.

IGF-I also acts directly to stimulate protein synthesis but it has a weaker lipolytic action. GH, IGF-I and insulin thus act in concert to stimulate protein synthesis.

GH and IGF-I act in a promoting manner to stimulate protein synthesis while insulin acts in its characteristic inhibiting manner to inhibit protein breakdown. Thus they are synergistic in their powerful anabolic action.

Insulin is essential for the anabolic action of GH. GH administration in the absence of adequate insulin reserves (as during fasting or in Type 1 diabetes) is in fact catabolic and its lipolytic and ketogenic properties can induce diabetic ketoacidosis. Thus GH and insulin are closely linked in normal physiology and it is of great interest to see that athletes have discovered ways in which this normal physiological dependence can be exploited to enhance performance.

NOTE: The above was "lifted" with little change from parts of:

HORMONES AND SPORT: Insulin, growth hormone and sport, P H Sonksen, Journal of Endocrinology (2001) 170, 13–25

Last edited:
Dat u missed my quesiton again lol

but i think u forgot to answer my question : is 500 mcg of cjc a week, split mon and thurs sufficient enough to see anything combinde with the 140mcg ed of ghrp6?

Your question was "what do u think of this protocal:".

And I answered it. I didn't address the CJC-1295 dosing because it is acceptable to dose it that way (i.e. twice a week) AND you made it clear you didn't want to dose any higher because you wanted a vial to last a month.

So what was there to address bro?

You are now asking if that dose is "sufficient enough to see anything". The answer is yes of course it is!

But what is it that you want to see? If you are on a cycle of steroids and want it to contribute substantially the dose probably needs to be a little higher.

Otherwise not.

Dat what was your conclusion when you dropped the dose from 2mg to 1mg per week? I think you said at first you didnt notice a change, how about now? Reason why I ask is b/c im using 1mg and wonder if 2mg is "that much" better. Thanks

Dat what was your conclusion when you dropped the dose from 2mg to 1mg per week? I think you said at first you didnt notice a change, how about now? Reason why I ask is b/c im using 1mg and wonder if 2mg is "that much" better. Thanks

You have to keep in mind my protocol and that the use of insulin and the type of insulin together with the CJC-1295/GHRP-6 probably plays a significant role in keeping the "growth window" open.

Here's what I mean. We spend a lot of time talking about absolute levels of hormones...particularly GH & IGF-1 but we fail to spend any time discussing what happens after that.

Growth hormone receptors (GHRs) are not static. They are given birth inside the cell and they move to the cell surface. At the cell surface they bind with the GH ligand (which is the end product of our CJC-1295/GHRP-6 use). The way GH binds causes a shape change in the complex which begins to activate several signalling pathways within the cell.

These signalling pathways are very important. They mediate the creation of IGF-1 and contribute to cellular proliferation and growth.

The binding of GH to the receptor begins a process which will eventually lead to the destruction of the receptor or the reinternalization of the receptor.

It is the signalling pathways that become desensitized or act with various levels of potency. These pathways mediate growth events in several ways one of which is the inititiation of gene transcriptions.

In addition to these intracellular events we have to think about the difference between having GH act in the liver to create systemic plasma carrying IGF-1 and its actions within muscle tissue to act specifically there DIRECTLY. The primary event is the creation in muscle tissue of IGF-1 or what I like to call muscle IGF-1.

Although circulating plasma IGF-1 plays a role in growth, the primary growth promotion in muscle comes from locally birthed IGF-1 & its subsequent use right there in the tissue itself. There is also GH's local actions within muscle to create MGF (mechano growth factor) after the "switch" of a resistance workout turns on that mechanism of creation.

There is a role to be played between the hormones of GH/Insulin/muscle IGF-1/MGF/thyroid hormone/testosterone/...

Signalling pathways need breaks from constant GH to resensitize while some may need to also interact with ligands from hormones that share the common signalling mechanism such as insulin...

We want to do things that will maxamize the number of receptors in our target tissue (primarily muscle), we want to optimize the signalling as it pertains to growth, we want to increase the creation of IGF-1 in muscle tissue and maximize MGF creation as well.

Insulin can play a role in this optimization but too much has a negative effect on some of these factors such as GHR number. IGF-1 may play a positive role as well but again too much will hinder GH's ability to create MGF.

These are intracellular responses...

We also want to use GH, insulin, IGF-1 and testosterone to create synergistic anabolic actions via increasing protein sythesis and limiting degradation.

Couple these factors with the continual high level of nutrition and optimal workouts (i.e. initiate the repair signal w/o over-taxing the CNS) and we begin to tap into the potential for these compounds to work in such a way as to aid our building of muscle tissue.

Now to your question. I was curious so I dropped the CJC-1295 dosing to below half what I was using. I also increased the PWO insulin dose by a few iu.

The result (everything else the same) after 3 weeks is an identical growth rate. However I have noticed less of an ability to keep fat gain to a minimum.

In fairness I have also allowed my estrogen levels to rise a little to keep strength progressing & I have willingly taken on a little more water.

But I have instituted cardio to compensate.

I will give this dosing a little longer test before going back up.

Subjectively I am pleased that the lower level still contributes positively to the cycle...very pleased but I do think that the higher level does bring more positive benefit.

Those are my very subjective opinions.

Very interesting thread! Thanks DAT

I'm probably going to do 1mg CJC per week (50mcg 3x a day) & (100mcg 3x a day GHRP-6) Slin at 5 i.u., Test, and Deca

Now I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to add IGF and pMGF into the mix.

From what I read in this thread, IGF is elevated but not very long so its good to supplement with added IGF?

I thought it was interesting you mentioned to someone priming the body for a couple weeks w/ the peptides before starting the Test. Whats your thoughts behind that advice? Is that to increase satellite cell proliferation, before maturation with the Test and Slin?

weltweite said:
...Now I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to add IGF and pMGF into the mix.

I am fumbling forward on this as well.

I believe that MGF will be beneficial. What I am not clear on is IF non-peg MGF can be used effectively. The problem as you know is that it degrades quickly and has a tiny effective target area, while peg-MGF is resistant to plasma degradation and has a wider effective target area.

With MGF we don't want it to circulate in the blood stream. We want it to be immediately taken up in the muscle we inject into. So I was thinking regular MGF might be effective if it is injected in multiple location in the target muscle in a way that is similar to the way you would inject/use site enhancing oil.. then also administer it more frequently then you would peg.

ERRATUM: MGF in any form will not act like MGF. See posts elsewhere.

weltweite said:
From what I read in this thread, IGF is elevated but not very long so its good to supplement with added IGF?

CJC-1295 will elevate IGF-1 levels but GHRP-6/GHRP-2/Hexarelin will not do so on a continual basis.

Actually both of these questions get into the following.

There are two "categories" of GH as well as two "categories" of IGF-1.

One is systemic, the other autocrine/paracrine (locally made/used).

The systemic is either secreted by the pituitary and released into circulation for growth hormone or synthesized in the liver and released into the bloodstream for IGF-1.

Of course injected forms of GH & IGF-1 are systemic...but what is this about local effects we hope for?

The local effect has to be distinguished from the second category autocrine/paracrine.

This second category is made up of GH or IGF-1 that is created in local non-liver tissue (in our case muscle) and used in that same location.

This second category autocrine/paracrine (locally made/used) is more important then the first category as it pertains to growth and especially IGF-1.

So we spend so much time thinking about general circulating IGF-1 levels we fail to consider that it isn't nearly as important as IGF-1 made in the muscle or as I call it muscle IGF-1.

The physiological role (or effective importance) of autocrine/paracrine GH is to provide local tissue needs for GH above that supplied by pituitary-derived GH or to provide GH in compartments/areas where GH has no ready access.

But with specific regard to IGF-1 it has been demonstrated that muscle IGF-1 is more important then circulating liver synthesized IGF-1 in promoting growth.

Here is how autocrine/paracrine production appears to occur. If you understand this then you can see why local injections may not have the same effect.

Paracrine GH is produced inside the muscle cell and binds to the the GH receptor immediately after synthesis in the endoplasmic reticulum of he cell. This binding facilitates maturation of GH receptor and creates a self-bound complex which then makes its way to the cell surface. The signalling is yet to be turned on inside the cell and it is not until the complex moves to the cell surface that signalling begins.

As you can see GH that comes into the area from general circulation will not have a chance to bind to this growth hormone receptor because it was birthed in an already bound state. *

There is some evidence that the same thing happens with IGF-1 autocrine/paracrine action in muscle BUT there is also evidence that there are still unbound receptors available as well. **

So this is the sort of thing that I continue to puzzle over.

I will post some interesting material that I had previously posted at AM on MGF.

References:

* Autocrine Growth Hormone: Effects on Growth Hormone Receptor Trafficking and Signaling, Monique J. van den Eijnden and Ger J. Strous, Molecular Endocrinology 2007 21 (11): 2832-2846

** Interaction of Secreted Insulin-like Growth Factor-(II GF-I) with Cell Surface Receptors Is the Dominant Mechanism of IGF-1’s Autocrine Actions, Zonghan Dai, Alan D. Stiles, Billie Moats-Staats, JudsoJn. Van Wyk, and A. Joseph D’Ercole, Journal of Biol Chem Vol. 267, No. 27, Issue of September 25, pp. 19565-19571,1992

Last edited:
Mechanical Signals, IGF-I Gene Splicing, and Muscle Adaptation, Geoffrey Goldspink, Physiology 20:232-238, 2005

Discovery of a Local Growth Factor that Initiates Muscle Hypertrophy

A little over 10 years ago, our group set about cloning the factor(s) that are involved in the autocrine regulation of muscle mass. For this purpose we needed to have an animal model in which we could make muscle grow rapidly. Previous work had shown that the tibialis anterior in the mature rabbit, when electrically stimulated while being held in the stretched position by plaster cast immobilization, increased in mass within one week (10). It was known that muscles rapidly adapt to a new functional length by adding sarcomeres in series at the ends of the existing myofibrils. However, if muscles are also subjected to electrical stimulation, they increase in girth and add more sarcomeres in parallel as well as in series. RNA was extracted from such muscles that were undergoing rapid growth, and by using differential display we detected an RNA transcript that is expressed in exercised but not in resting muscles (29). This mRNA waconverted to cDNA and subcloned, and sequence analysis showed that this was a splice variant of the insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) gene, although its 3 exons were different from the liver or systemic type of IGF-I. However, it was noted that muscle also expresses the systemic type of IGF-I (IGF-IEa). The terminology for the IGF-I variants is a problem when attempting to apply it to nonhepatic tissues and to different species. Also, we encountered a further problem with the hepatic IGF-I terminology, because the variant we discovered would be classified as IGF-IEb in the rat but IGF-IEc in the human (14). It became apparent that the muscle IGF-I isoforms, although they are derived from the same gene, have to be characterized separately. Therefore, we named this cryptic splice variant mechano growth factor (MGF), because it is expressed in response to mechanical stimulation and has a different carboxy peptide sequence from that of the liver type of IGF-I.

Different IGF-I Isoforms Expressed in Muscle

In addition to MGF expression being mechanosensitive, it has a unique carboxy peptide sequence (FIGURE 1). It was noted that in exon 5 there is an insert that changes the reading frame. In the rat it is 52 bases, but the human the insert is 49 bases. Amino acids are encoded by triplets of bases, and because the exon 5 sequence that is spliced into the MGF mRNA is not a multiple of 3, the downstream peptide sequence is different from that of the other IGF-I isoforms. This has important functional consequences, because the carboxy peptide of some IGF-I isoforms is involved in the recognition of the specific binding proteins that stabilize these growth factors. However, it appears that in the case of MGF the carboxy-terminal peptide (encoded by parts of exons 5 and 6) is unique and has now been shown to act as a separate growth/repair factor from the IGF-I receptor domain. Also, MGF has different expression kinetics, since after exercise (12) and/or damage (16) the IGF-I gene is first spliced toward MGF but after a day or so becomes completely spliced toward the systemic IGF-I isoforms, which in human muscle are IGF-IEa and IGF-IEb.

To initially establish that MGF has a biological action, its cDNA was inserted into a plasmid vector with muscle-specific regulatory sequences. After a single intramuscular injection into the mouse, there was a 25% increase in mean muscle fiber cross-sectional area within 3 wk (9). Similar experiments have been carried out using the systemic or liver type of IGF-I using an adenoviral vector under the control of the myosin light chain (MLC) regulatory sequence that ensures muscle-specific expression (1). However, this took 4 months to produce a 15% increase and is probably due to the anabolic effect of IGF-I, which is common to all of the splice variants. Transgenic mice have been produced using IGF-IEa under the control of the chicken alpha-actin promoter (6) and later using the MLC I and III promoters (23), and perhaps it is not surprising that the expression of the introduced IGF-I is localized to muscle tissue. However, the structure of MGF and its high potency in initiating local hypertrophy indicated that it had a somewhat different function from that of other forms of IGF-I.

Replenishment of the Muscle Satellite (Stem) Cell Pool

Satellite cells in skeletal muscle were first described by Mauro (20), and it is now realized that these cells provide the extra nuclei for postnatal growth (22) and that they are also involved in repair and regeneration following local injury of muscle fibers (11). In normal adult undamaged tissue, the satellite cells are quiescent and usually detected just beneath the basal lamina. When activated, they commence to coexpress myogenic factors, including c-met, myoD, myf5, and, later, myogenin (26). Residual myoblasts are the main point of origin of satellite cells, although a small percentage may originate from pluripotent stem cells derived from progenitor cells of the vasculature (26). It has been established that even in normal muscle local injury does occur from time to time, but in certain diseases such as the muscular dystrophies, the muscle fibers are markedly more susceptible to damage, in particular to the membrane (5). The contractile system of muscle fibers also sustains damage during eccentric contractions (3). Therefore, there is an ongoing requirement in this postmitotic tissue for extra nuclei to be provided by satellite cells fusing with muscle fibers that are undergoing repair and/or adaptation.

The satellite cell pool undergoes periods of replenishment lasting just a few days (4). Several studies have been carried out in which IGF-I has been claimed to activate satellite cells, but the problem is that there are two distinct processes involved: one is the replication of the mononucleated residual myoblasts, and the other is the fusion of these with the muscle fibers. Ground et al. (25) found that overexpression of the liver type of IGFIEa (MLC/mIGF-I transgenic mouse) did not increase the myoblast (satellite cell) proliferation during regeneration of whole tissue grafts. It would not make physiological sense for IGF-I (mature IGF-I or IGF-IE) to be involved in the process of replenishing the muscle stem cell pool, since IGFIEa, unlike MGF, is produced constituently and is detected at reasonably high levels in non-mechanically challenged muscle and indeed in virtually all cell types, as well the liver. IGF-IEa may activate satellite cells depending on their state of developmental commitment, but it enhances fusion with the muscle fibers, thus leaving no reserve pool of satellite cells. This seems to be the particular role of the unique carboxy-terminal peptide of MGF, i.e., to replenish this stem cell pool for repair and growth throughout life.

Two recent studies have indicated that one of the special functions of MGF is to activate the muscle satellite (stem) cells for division. When IGF-I was transfected into, or was added to, C2C12 muscle cells in culture, they increased in mass and fused to form myotubes. When the cells were transfected with the MGF cDNA or treated with its carboxy peptide, the mononucleated myoblasts increased in number but remained mononucleated cells (30). This effect, unlike the action of IGF-I, was not blocked by an antibody to the IGF-I receptor, indicating that the MGF carboxy peptide is a growth/repair factor in its own right. The other study (16) showed that after damage MGF is produced as a pulse lasting only a few days. Although it has been stated that IGF-I activates satellite cells, it was not certain from these other studies whether fusion rather than replication of satellite cells was examined or indeed what type of IGF-I was used. In our in vitro studies, MGF was involved in the replication of mononucleated myoblasts (satellite cells). The in vivo studies showed that the expression of MGF preceded that of markers of satellite cell activation. IGF-IEa expression did not peak, however, until the expression of the satellite cell activation markers had peaked and declined back to baseline levels.

Interestingly, it seems that myostatin is a negative regulator of satellite cell activation (19) and that this puts these residual myoblasts into the quiescent state. On the other hand, MGF appears to be the positive regulator because it responds to mechanical stimuli and/or damage that not only activates the muscle satellite (stem) cell proliferation but, because it also has an IGF-I receptor domain, upregulates protein synthesis generally. Recently, Bamman et al. (18) found that downregulation of myostatins by resistance loading was not correlated with the upregulation of cyclins, but there was a correlation with increased MGF expression; therefore, it seems that the replenishment of the stem cell pool is via positive regulation by MGF.
1.jpg

Effects of Exercise on MGF and IGFIEa Expression

It is clear that the type of exercise training in which the active muscles must overcome high loads is the type of exercise that results in muscle hypertrophy and that this is associated with an increase in IGF-I expression (7, 28, 29). However, these studies failed to distinguish between the different IGF-I splice variants. As mentioned above, the way MGF was discovered was through the study of the RNA transcripts of exercised and nonexercised muscle (29). Shortly after this, Adams et al. (12) showed that MGF is expressed earlier than IGF-IEa in response to exercise. We also found that, following mechanical strain and/or muscle damage, the IGF-I gene is first spliced toward MGF and then later toward IGF-IEa in rodent muscles (16). We measured the mRNA levels of MGF and IGF-IEa by using realtime quantitative PCR on muscle biopsy samples taken 2.5 h after a single bout of high-intensity knee extension (13). In young subjects, MGF mRNA levels were significantly increased as a result of resistance exercise, but no significant change was observed in older subjects. Furthermore, at this time point shortly after exercise, IGF-IEa mRNA levels were virtually unchanged in both groups. These observations were interesting because they were in agreement with animal experiments for which MGF levels were shown to increase before those of IGF-IEa, suggesting that the two isoforms were differentially regulated and that they have a different function.

REFERENCES

30 - Different roles of the IGF-I Ec peptide (MGF) and mature IGF-I in myoblast proliferation and differentiation , Shi Yu Yang, Geoffrey Goldspink, FEBS Letters pages 156-160

"This study demonstrated that E peptide of the splice variant, MGF [4 and 6], is biologically active and has a distinct activity compared to that of mature IGF-I in that it can increase myoblasts proliferation but it totally inhibits the myotubes formation. Also the selective blocking of the IGF-I receptor provides evidence that MGF increases myoblast proliferation via a different signalling pathway."​

Impairment of IGF-I gene splicing and MGF expression associated with muscle wasting , Geoffrey Goldspink, The International Journal of Biochemistry & Cell Biology Volume 38, Issue 3, March 2006, Pages 481-489

10. Muscle loss during ageing

Our group has studied the ability of muscles of different ages to produce MGF as well as IGF-IEa and its IGF-I receptor. In young rats, in which the muscle was surgically overloaded, there was a marked increase in expression of MGF (Fig. 2). In middle-aged rats, the increase in MGF expression was moderate, and in old rats it was very low and attenuated (Owino, Yang, & Goldspink, 2001). A study was then carried out in which young and elderly men performed an acute bout of 10 repetitions of a knee extension exercise that involved taking muscle biopsies from the vastus lateralis 2.5 h after cessation of the exercise. MGF-expression was markedly increased in the muscles of the young subjects but not in those of the older men aged 78±1 year (Hameed et al., 2003b). This helps to explain the loss of muscle in the elderly. Older people can increase muscle mass by training, however, it tends to take much longer than for teenagers.

One of the other endocrine/growth factor changes associated with ageing is the decline in circulating growth hormone (GH). In old age (70+) the level is only one-third that of our teenage years. As GH is responsible for inducing IGF-I in the liver experiments were carried out with Michael Kjaer’s group in Copenhagen where elderly males were given GH or a placebo (* Hameed et al., 2004). Subjects participated in a resistance exercise training regime for 5 or 12 weeks and in some groups this was combined with growth hormone therapy. In the latter groups, MGF levels were markedly increased as was muscle cross-sectional area. This indicates that the primary transcript of the IGF-I gene is probably upregulated by GH so that more is spliced towards MGF as a result of exercise. Interestingly, GH treatment alone resulted in upregulation of IGF-IEa, which is similar to what happens in the liver. As GH alone did not produce a significant upregulation of MGF [MY NOTE: SEE below GH alone DID produce an 80% rise in MGF by week 12], it appears that exercise is still required, although the GH deficiency may also have to be treated as in the case of the elderly. Therefore, if there has to be intervention by administering GH it would probably be more sensible to inject MGF, as this would produce an increase in muscle mass even in patients who cannot engage in resistance type exercise.
2.jpg

* The effect of recombinant human growth hormone and resistance training on IGF-I mRNA expression in the muscles of elderly men, Hameed et al., Journal of Physiology 555 (2004), pp. 231–240

Abstract

The expression of two isoforms of insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I): mechano growth factor (MGF) and IGF-IEa were studied in muscle in response to growth hormone (GH) administration with and without resistance training in healthy elderly men. A third isoform, IGF-IEb was also investigated in response to resistance training only.

The subjects (age 74 ± 1 years, mean ± S.E.M) were assigned to either resistance training with placebo, resistance training combined with GH administration or GH administration alone. Real-time quantitative RT-PCR was used to determine mRNA levels in biopsies from the vastus lateralis muscle at baseline, after 5 and 12 weeks in the three groups.

GH administration did not change MGF mRNA at 5 weeks, but significantly increased IGF-IEa mRNA (237%). After 12 weeks, MGF mRNA was significantly increased (80%) compared to baseline.

Five weeks of resistance training significantly increased the mRNA expression of MGF (163%), IGF-IEa (68%) and IGF-IEb (75%). No further changes were observed after 12 weeks.

However, after 5 weeks of training combined with GH treatment, MGF mRNA increased significantly (456%) and IGF-IEa mRNA by (167%). No further significant changes were noted at 12 weeks.

The data suggest that when mechanical loading in the form of resistance training is combined with GH, MGF mRNA levels are enhanced. This may reflect an overall up-regulation of transcription of the IGF-I gene prior to splicing​

Serum IGF-I levels and IGF-I gene splicing in muscle of healthy young males receiving rhGH Growth Hormone & IGF Research, In Press, Corrected Proof, Available online 16 September 2008, Michael Aperghis, Growth Hormone & IGF Research xxx (2008) xxx–xxx

Introduction

IGF-I is a ubiquitous peptide that is involved in a number of important functions during growth and development. It has been shown to have anabolic actions on muscle both in vivo and in vitro [1–3]. The IGF-I gene comprises six exons and has two promoter regions. The mature IGF-I peptide found in the circulation is encoded mainly by exons 3 and 4, whilst exons 5 and 6 encode most of the C-terminal E domain. This and the N-terminal sequences encoded by exons 1 or 2 are cleaved during maturation. The IGF-I gene can be spliced both at the 50 and 30 ends. At the 50 end Class 1 or Class 2 IGF-I transcripts result depending upon their initiation from either promoter 1 (adjacent to exon 1) or 2 (adjacent to exon 2), respectively [4–6]. At the 30 end alternative splicing may result in three E domain peptides IGF-IEa, IGF-IEb and IGF-I Ec (MGF) [7– 9]. Thus a total of at least six different splice variants of IGF-I is possible. It is now becoming clear that the 30 splice variants or E peptides may have distinct functions in growth and adaptation of skeletal muscle [10–12], but the role of the Class 1 and 2 transcripts is unknown.

IGF-I expression is regulated, in many tissues by growth hormone (GH) [13], and GH administration results in increased circulating IGF-I peptide in animals as well as humans. In rats and sheep, GH may preferentially upregulate Class 2 transcripts in the liver, the organ chiefly responsible for the production of serum IGF-I [14– 16]. The effects of GH on muscle 30 splice variant expression have been studied in elderly human subjects [17]. Recombinant hGH administration was shown to preferentially upregulate IGF-IEa mRNA, with MGF being increased when rhGH was combined with overloading exercise, but neither Class 1 nor Class 2 splice variants were measured in this study. Elderly individuals are a somewhat special case in that they have low levels of circulating GH. Indeed, the time course of IGF-IEa and MGF mRNA upregulation in muscle following a bolus injection of GH differs in GH deficient (lit/lit) andGH sufficient mice [18]. Again, Class 1 and 2 transcripts were not measured. Thus, little is known about the regulation of muscle 50 and 30 splice variant expression under conditions of normal GH status. It is important to understand the role of GH on muscle IGF-I gene expression in healthy, young subjects not least because many athletes and bodybuilders use rhGH in an attempt to increase muscle bulk [19].

The aim of the present study was therefore to examine the effects of exogenous rhGH with and without acute resistance exercise on the expression of the 50 and 30 splice variants in the muscles of healthy young men.

Design: The study was a randomised double blind trial with a crossover design. Seven subjects were randomly assigned to a group receiving daily injections of rhGH (0.075 IU kg/ day) or placebo for a two week period. Following a one month washout, the groups were reversed.

Discussion

The main finding of the present study was that two weeks of rhGH administration resulted in a significant increase in circulating IGF-I but did not affect the expression in skeletal muscle of Class 1, 2 or 30 IGF-I transcripts. The data show for the first time that Class 1 and 2 transcripts are expressed in human skeletal muscle, and confirm our previous observation that IGF-IEa expression is two orders of magnitude higher than MGF expression. These two splice variants are known to have different physiological roles in murine [10] and human muscle progenitor cells [12]. As mentioned above, a direct comparison of Class 1 and 2 transcripts with IGF-IEa and MGF was not possible because different primers were used for the RT reactions. Nevertheless, the efficiency of reverse transcription reactions primed with random hexamers is expected to be lower than that of reactions primed with gene specific primers as used for IGF-IEa and MGF transcripts. Thus it is possible that reverse transcription or amplification of 30 products is less efficient than that of 50 products. This remains to be conclusively established for IGF-I transcripts.

It has been reported that Class 2 IGF-I transcripts have greater stability than Class 1, whilst Class 1 transcripts in turn have a higher transcriptional/translational throughput [5]. Thus it might be expected that Class 1 transcripts respond more rapidly to changing hormonal profile. On the other hand it has been shown that Class 2 transcripts are preferentially upregulated by GH (at least in the liver), leading to the suggestion that it is the peptides translated from these transcripts that are secreted into the circulation [14,16]. In contrast, Class 1 transcripts would remain localized to the site of synthesis and have autocrine/paracrine actions [2,16,20–22]. Although transgenic mice overexpressing Class 1 IGF-IEa under control of muscle specific regulatory elements show increased IGF-I protein only in muscle [2,23], this may be the result of the promoter rather than the exon 1 encoded peptide. Over expression of Class 1 constructs in pigs and cultured muscle cells results in elevated IGF-I levels in blood plasma and culture medium, respectively [2,24], demonstrating that Class 1 peptides can be secreted. Thus, further studies are needed to clarify the role of the peptides encoded by exons 1 and 2.

The lack of effect of GH on IGF-I 30 transcript levels in muscle was somewhat unexpected given our previous observation of a 250% increase in muscle IGF-IEa mRNA in elderly subjects following five weeks rhGH treatment [17]. Subject numbers per treatment group were comparable between this study (n = 7) and the study performed on elderly individuals (n = 6 or 7), however the total number of subjects in the present study was lower as the cross over design was used in order to minimize intersubject variability. We have previously reported that values of IGF-IEa and MGF transcripts can vary by 4-fold between subjects [9]. To obviate this effect we also examined data normalised to each baseline sample (placebo, pre exercise) and observed no effect. However, the mean value of MGF expression in the GH + exercise group was higher than the remaining treatment groups. It is thus possible but unlikely, considering the marked increase in circulating IGF-I with GH administration, that the limited subject number and the low sensitivity of QPCR for low abundance transcripts may have masked an effect of GH in this group. A more likely explanation for the observed lack of upregulation of IGF-I splice variants in skeletal muscle by GH is discussed.

The young subjects used herein were not GH deficient. Age is associated with a progressive decline in circulating levels of GH and IGF-I such that elderly individuals may be considered to be GH deficient [25]. In the study by Hameed and coworkers [17] rhGH administration to the elderly subjects (0.036 IU kg day) caused circulating IGF-I levels to rise by 70% from 20 nmol/l to 32 nmol/l, which is equivalent to the baseline levels measured in our young subjects. The increase in circulating IGF-I in our young subjects following treatment with rhGH (0.075 IU kg day) was more dramatic (180%, Fig. 1) than that observed in elderly subjects. A more robust effect of GH treatment might likewise be expected in muscles of young subjects. The lack of IGF-I upregulation in observed thus suggest that GH dependent primary IGF-I gene transcription is already maximal in young men and not a limiting factor regulating splice variant expression in muscle. Evidence for differential regulation of local (muscle) IGF-I expression in GH normal and deficient states comes from a study in growth hormone- deficient mice [18]. When a bolus of GH was given to GH deficient (lit/lit) animals, both MGF and IGF-IEa isoforms were upregulated 12 h after the injection. In GH sufficient, lit/+ animals, although upregulation of both isoforms was initially observed 4 h after treatment, they did not remain elevated at 12 h. Thus, it would seem that although administration of GH results in transient upregulation of IGF-I 30 splice variants in mice with normal GH endocrinology, more persistent changes may occur in GH deficient animals. The findings presented herein are in accordance with these observations.

It might be argued that the dose or dosing period of GH used in the present study was insufficient to elicit a transcriptional response in the muscles of young men. Indeed, the doses reportedly used by body builders and weightlifters may be more than two fold higher than used here [19]. In the study showing upregulation of IGF-I in elderly human muscle, rhGH was administered for five rather than two weeks as reported herein [17]. However, a single bolus administration of GH has been shown to activate GH signalling pathways in human muscle [26] suggesting that in young individuals, muscle is GH sensitive.

The dose and administration period were nevertheless sufficient to elicit a major response from the liver, as evidenced by the 180% increase in serum IGF-I (Fig. 1). The data presented here suggests that liver and skeletal muscle have different sensitivities to exogenous GH. Although most data regarding the tissue specific effects of GH administration has been obtained in GH deficient animal models, some experiments have been performed in GH sufficient animals. In sheep, ten weeks GH treatment led to increased IGF-I expression in liver but not muscle [27], whereas tissue injection of GH in male pigs resulted in increased expression of IGF-I mRNA in liver, adipose tissue, and in the semitendinosus muscle, but not in the longissimus muscle [28]. Furthermore, injection of a plasmid encoding GH in the tibialis anterior of young, male mice showed upregulation of IGF-IEa mRNA in the liver but not in the injected muscle [29]. The reason for this differential regulation is not known since no differences between liver and muscle transcripts have been reported. It has been shown, however, that the liver expresses tenfold more GH binding activity than muscle [30]

A system of negative feedback regulates the GH/ IGF-I axis. Interestingly, when C2C12 muscle cells are treated in culture with rhGH they increase both IGF-I Ea and MGF 30 splice variants but treatment with IGF-I alone and in combination with GH has an inhibitory effect and the cells are prevented from expressing either splice variant [31]. It is possible that a similar mechanism of negative feedback is operating on muscle in vivo. See: Post #161 below

In the present study we did not observe the significant increases (2%–800%) in MGF mRNA expression following a one off resistance exercise bout as previously reported [9]. The most likely explanation for this is that the decreased sensitivity of QPCR for transcripts expressed at low levels (Fig. 2) masked any changes in expression. In addition, the 2.5 h time point may not be optimal for observing robust MGF upregulation, and studies in humans now measure MGF at least 24 h after an exercise bout [32]. In mice, the peak MGF response is observed 24 h after muscle damage [33].

The diverse role of MGF as a repair molecule is becoming increasingly clear [12,34–36]. Unaccustomed exercise results in muscle damage and soreness, and in the extreme case of child birth, this damage is associated with strikingly high levels of MGF mRNA [37]. With training, the exercise-induced mechanisms of muscle adaptation and repair may become attenuated. This is evidenced by reduced rates of muscle protein turnover in trained athletes [38]. Although, not assessed formally, the greatest increase in MGF after the exercise, was observed in those subjects who were least active [9]. The subjects who participated in the present study were recreationally active, undertaking some form of regular physical activity. Their low levels of MGF expression may reflect a relatively high level of fitness and consequently attenuation of adaptation responses to a single exercise bout. These observations highlight the importance of standardising training regimes and subject fitness levels for studies involving repair and adaptation pathways.

In conclusion, the present study shows that the regulation of IGF-I by rhGH differs in muscle and liver. Although rhGH markedly increases IGF-I circulating levels, two weeks of rhGH administration did not upregulate skeletal muscle IGF-I mRNA in young males with normal GH endocrinology. Further studies would be required using larger subject numbers, higher doses or a longer dosing period, equivalent to that previously demonstrated to upregulate IGF-I expression in muscles of elderly men [17], to determine if GH has an effect on the IGF-I splice variants in young men.​

Last edited:
Cultured muscle cells as a system for the analysis of IGF-I splicing regulation by factors present in the circulation, Velloso,Cristiana P, The Physiological Society (2004) J Physiol 558P, C5

It has recently been shown that muscle cells grown in 3-D collagen matrixes upregulate IGF-I transcript expression in response to stretching of the matrix (Cheema et al., 2004). In the present work we have studied muscle cells in culture with the aim of determining if either or both of the two splice variants of IGF-I would be upregulated when treated with GH and/or IGF-I, in the absence of mechanical signals C2C12 myoblasts were grown to 50% confluency in medium containing 10% foetal calf serum (FCS). The cells were transferred to medium containing i) 1%FCS only, ii) 100 ng/ml rhGH iii) 100 pg/ml IGF or iv) both. In the untreated cells (i) both isoforms (IGF-IEa and MGF) were present. Treatment with rhGH alone lead to an increase in IGF-IEa and MGF of about 3 fold over control (Table 1). However, treatment with IGF-I abolished expression of both isoforms. When used in combination, the inhibitory effect of IGF-I overode the GH stimulation of IGF-IEa and MGF transcription. We conclude that muscle tissue can upregulate IGF-I isoform expression as a direct result of hormonal stimulation or stretch stimuli. The isoforms of IGF-I seem equally sensitive to GH stimulation in vitro. In vivo, a negative feedback mechanism may modulate the action of GH on IGF-I transcription in muscle tissue in by circulating or local IGF-I expression.
3.jpg
Table 1. IGFIa and MGF transcript levels (x 10-8 ng mRNA / µg RNA) in C2C12 cells following GH and IGF-I treatment.

Data are Means ± S.D. of three separate experiments. * Significant difference (P<0.5) relative to control (unpaired t-test).

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • A50#
    Old School Moderator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear