over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Does anyone actually run anymore?

DrivingForward

Registered
A co-worker who recently lost a substantial amount of bodyfat began telling me about his training for a 1/2 marathon. So I started thinking... Do any of the body builders/lifters/etc that I know actually do any real cardio anymore?

I don't mean 10-30 min walking on a treadmill or comfortable pace on an elliptical.. I mean a good hard run on solid ground or soft beach sand.

I decided to go for a run for the first time in years, and realized how fucking hard it was for me to hit 1 mile. I tell people about it-- and they all look incredulous (like most guys here, I "look" inshape) as if I was expected to be able to bust 'em out one after another. The older I get, the less I want to "look" in shape, but rather to really "be" inshape.

So my question is: Does anyone here actually run anymore?

If I add a run 3x a week to my workout program, will that really cause me to lose musculature?

I do triathlons. Im 6 feet, 220 and nearly 48. Prior to gear usage 3 years ago i was 180. (but gear usage only accounted for 10% of my improvement, even though i had been lifting for nearly 30 years. Its all about the drugs) I have slowed down a ridiculous amount, but i still race. ( race is a very loosely used term now :( ) but my kids love going to the races, and they are actually fun now that my only goal is to finish without complete embarrassment.

Running is very tough after a tough squat or dead lift workout. You will be very slow. But a major concern when running after a tough lower body workout is your running form goes to hell. And then you get injured.

I would like to hear more on this topic. Running is something I do on occassions, but I swear running bothers my knees.

In the past, I did more running and never had any knee pains. I was only running about 3 miles 3 x a week.

i am no mass monster- so i think muscularity is a factor in running- but i love to run 400m's for time as fast as i can...i've wasted muscle away with the slow and steady +5mile runs- so i will never do that again...I find that running shorter sprints (100yards) and 400m's are awesome for fat loss/conditioning

I do triathlons. Im 6 feet, 220 and nearly 48. Prior to gear usage 3 years ago i was 180. (but gear usage only accounted for 10% of my improvement, even though i had been lifting for nearly 30 years. Its all about the drugs) I have slowed down a ridiculous amount, but i still race. ( race is a very loosely used term now :( ) but my kids love going to the races, and they are actually fun now that my only goal is to finish without complete embarrassment.

Running is very tough after a tough squat or dead lift workout. You will be very slow. But a major concern when running after a tough lower body workout is your running form goes to hell. And then you get injured.

Did the added musclemass slow you down?

Not with my old mans knees. Ive always hated running so probably use it as an excuse i guess

In my opinion, some people are built for it and some people aren't.

Not for me. I did enough running for ten people when I was in the Marines.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

i think it depends how close you are to your ginetic max. when i was 245 i could run 7 miles with no glutamine or aminos and be fine, although most of that muscle had been there for a while and was probably more resiliant to breakdown anyway

In my opinion, some people are built for it and some people aren't.

Absolutly- i was always the kid at school who finished in the last 3:banghead:

A co-worker who recently lost a substantial amount of bodyfat began telling me about his training for a 1/2 marathon. So I started thinking... Do any of the body builders/lifters/etc that I know actually do any real cardio anymore?

I don't mean 10-30 min walking on a treadmill or comfortable pace on an elliptical.. I mean a good hard run on solid ground or soft beach sand.

I decided to go for a run for the first time in years, and realized how fucking hard it was for me to hit 1 mile. I tell people about it-- and they all look incredulous (like most guys here, I "look" inshape) as if I was expected to be able to bust 'em out one after another. The older I get, the less I want to "look" in shape, but rather to really "be" inshape.

So my question is: Does anyone here actually run anymore?

If I add a run 3x a week to my workout program, will that really cause me to lose musculature?

I hate to run anymore. I do sprints for some of my cardio blast training but thats about it.

2 things I found as good proper cardio are springs and sled pulls for distance. Proper long distance running tho forget it just agony

Can't comment on the running yet...but I just bought a road bike to get around without using my car. The other day I did a 15 mile ride over some fairly rolling terrain and it was a bitch. I was huffing and puffing and my legs were on fire. My 64 year old professor? not even sweating. I will see what happens with leg size and muscularity - can't say I'm terribly concerned because I'd like to really broaden my horizons with physical activity. Far down the road I would consider a triathlon, it would feel great to say I finished one.

No I hate running. All that impact is often harsh on the body. I do however, take on my different forms of exercise like bike riding, hiking, sled pulls, kettlebells, etc...

i would never run again, unless i had too. its too much for a BB. you will end up burning the muscles in your legs up and prolly other muscles. a BB to burn fat should only get his heart rat in the 130 zone breaking a sweat but being able to carry on a conversation anything harder then that your prolly gonna be burning some muscle

I know this post is about running. For me, sprints are the best for fatloss. I can say that running sprints for about 20-30 minutes has really built up my endurance that I am pretty sure I could go for a good run.

I know this post is about running. For me, sprints are the best for fatloss. I can say that running sprints for about 20-30 minutes has really built up my endurance that I am pretty sure I could go for a good run.

How long is your rest period between sprints?

I guess it depends on your bodytype, I have a slow matabolism and running helps me get more food through my system without the bodyfat.

Something I have noticed that most runners have in common: Low muscularity

I do believe; however, that high intensity cardio is good training for an athlete. It's good for endurance, stamina, and speed. Most of the oxygen will be delivered to the heart and lungs. The body also releases stress hormones when the body is running. It will burn glycogen for quick fuel (since our bodies don't know why it's running...other than we must be hunting for prey) So yes, it will burn a lot of muscle. Fat is stored for our bodies survival.

This is why you will you never see any big bodybuilders doing a marathon. We work hard to put on muscle. Why burn it all up to run?

Lift heavy, eat right, and train smart.

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
mvdds
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner