advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Random training thoughts on a Friday night..

mountaindog1

IFBB Pro / Featured Member / Kilo Klub
IFBB PROS
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
1) OVERTRAINING - People are scared of overtraining and say that it's the
most common mistake.....look at 99.9% of people in gyms..you really
think are they overtraining.. and that's why they don't progress? We live
in minimalist times where people think you can eat 2 times a day, and do 4 sets a bodypart and this will maximize their growth potential. Always
doing less and less and less...I don't agree.

2) TRAINING GOAL - Trying to burn fat during training should not be your
goal, it should be to BUILD MUSCLE. This ties to #3.

3) NUTRITION AROUND TRAINING - You should destroy a muscle, BUT use
nutrition around/during your training to actually keep the muscle damage
as minimized as possible
- casein hydrolysates - can't beat it intraworkout for recovery
- BCAA's are good too - Leucine turns on m-TOR with mechanical tension -
and you ain't growing without turning on m-TOR. I wouldn't use both
though...see which works best for you. Eat whole food before training like
eggs, beef, etc. Don;t go into a workout hungry - not a good move.

CARBS - I would NEVER take out carbs postworkout, and only in cases of
severe insulin resistance take them out preworkout.

Eating carbs equals a rise in insulin levels. Insulin is anticatabolic (helps to
keep the damage under control). Insulin (as BBOY points out in his thread)
shuttles nutrients into the muscle cells. I would not worry about shuttling
nutrients into fat calls after training hard. Postworkout carbs will not make
you fat. They will not keep your GH from working (don't send me the
studies on this, i have seen them), they will not bloat you....

a fully volumized muscle cell is an anabolic one. This takes carbs.

4) TRAIN EXPLOSIVELY - learn how to turn your nervous system on. Use
accomodating resistance as a tool to learn how to explode through a rep.
You could also use submaximal speed work to a degree, but it in itself will
not make you huge.

5) SEQUENCE EXERCISES PROPERLY - Drop the dogma about always having
to bench first, squat first, deadlift first. Your joints will thank you, and you
will learn how to destroy muscle and not tendons and ligaments. In the
long run, this will make you stronger.

JM

Tell u what John that number 5 I am learning just from the first few weeks of working with u... I look at the emails u send me I don't question them one bit but I notice they deff in different orders I use to do and u hear of people doing needless to say I've never been so sore and always looking forward to gettin in the gym and killing it John Meadows style

One quick question... So carbs DO NOT blunt gh? Just wondering as I take my gh post work out and usually wait 20 minutes to take in my carbs

Going to apply a few of these tips tonight in the gym!

Awesome post brother.

Quick question. If one is dieting and hes say 6 weeks in and fatloss stalls. Hes eating 40 gms of carbs before workout and 40gms after workout. He wants to take the 40gms out of the pre workout meal and replace it with say 10-15gms of fat.
We will say this persons insulin sucks and his body doesnt deal with lots of carbs well at all and previous keto diets have treated him well.

Thoughts?

Tell u what John that number 5 I am learning just from the first few weeks of working with u... I look at the emails u send me I don't question them one bit but I notice they deff in different orders I use to do and u hear of people doing needless to say I've never been so sore and always looking forward to gettin in the gym and killing it John Meadows style

One quick question... So carbs DO NOT blunt gh? Just wondering as I take my gh post work out and usually wait 20 minutes to take in my carbs

Carbs do blunt GH, but won't stop GH injections from working..that is not real world life....and remember....training time is to build muscle...don't worry about blunting GH....feed your body...it will thank you

Awesome post brother.

Quick question. If one is dieting and hes say 6 weeks in and fatloss stalls. Hes eating 40 gms of carbs before workout and 40gms after workout. He wants to take the 40gms out of the pre workout meal and replace it with say 10-15gms of fat.
We will say this persons insulin sucks and his body doesnt deal with lots of carbs well at all and previous keto diets have treated him well.

Thoughts?

You could always make it real simple and hire Shelby!!! I let Shelby take care of my nutrition when I get down to the wire.

I was talking to Dave Tate today, and about how "gurus" are so scared to let anybody help them for fear that it might tarnish their reputation...kind of weird to not agree with using coaches when you are one yourself..huh...lol..just thought that was funny and had to share..

To answer your question, if you are severely insulin resistant, I would use carbs sparingly to alow your cells to sort of repair a bit. I cannot prove through any scientific data that this hapens...but it sure seems to help...how long it takes depends on how bad you are.

NOW, I have seen your pics, and it is hard for to think you are severely insulin resistant...you look good.

Also, exercise initself will clear glucose....glut 4 (carrier proteins) travel to the surface of your cell to let glucose in INDEPENDENT of insulin...so again, I would NOT worry about pre workout carbs...

Carbs do blunt GH, but won't stop GH injections from working..that is not real world life....and remember....training time is to build muscle...don't worry about blunting GH....feed your body...it will thank you

Couldnt agree more my friend. Once I started taking my GH and cjc/ghrp with carbs I noticed better results, night and day actually. I used to always take without, or try my best not to have carbs when dosing with avg results.

Great post as always!!!

I wonder how many of those people would look at the newest program youve sent me and think its too much or overtraining, lolol.

You could always make it real simple and hire Shelby!!! I let Shelby take care of my nutrition when I get down to the wire.

I was talking to Dave Tate today, and about how "gurus" are so scared to let anybody help them for fear that it might tarnish their reputation...kind of weird to not agree with using coaches when you are one yourself..huh...lol..just thought that was funny and had to share..

To answer your question, if you are severely insulin resistant, I would use carbs sparingly to alow your cells to sort of repair a bit. I cannot prove through any scientific data that this hapens...but it sure seems to help...how long it takes depends on how bad you are.

NOW, I have seen your pics, and it is hard for to think you are severely insulin resistant...you look good.

Also, exercise initself will clear glucose....glut 4 (carrier proteins) travel to the surface of your cell to let glucose in INDEPENDENT of insulin...so again, I would NOT worry about pre workout carbs...

If i was dieting for a show i would definitely hire shelby for my diet. The conditioning i see him bring his clients in is just unreal.

It was moreso just a question out of curiosity and a what if situation. Since getting my diet under control for 90% of the time i will say i definitely handle carbs better now then before. I also KNOW your training helps me in that aspect as well, BIG TIME. My body seems to just absorb the carbs i give it. Haha

If i was dieting for a show i would definitely hire shelby for my diet. The conditioning i see him bring his clients in is just unreal.

It was moreso just a question out of curiosity and a what if situation. Since getting my diet under control for 90% of the time i will say i definitely handle carbs better now then before. I also KNOW your training helps me in that aspect as well, BIG TIME. My body seems to just absorb the carbs i give it. Haha

honestly - if you skimp on nutrition around training in my programs, you will crash and burn, but if you take advantage of the environment, and EAT...you'll be happy :)

How about a random pic on a Friday night? A client of mine's lower half, 1 day out.

He just made weight and now we're filling him out hard. :cool:

Attachments

• drew-rdb1.JPG
    drew-rdb1.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 826
How about a random pic on a Friday night? A client of mine's lower half, 1 day out.

He just made weight and now we're filling him out hard. :cool:

Does he get the Shelby special tomorrow morning?

JM

honestly - if you skimp on nutrition around training in my programs, you will crash and burn, but if you take advantage of the environment, and EAT...you'll be happy :)

No doubt about that. I definitely make sure my pre and post workout nutrition are spot on.

I dont have a choice after the workout. Im ALWAYS starving! Lol

I especially agree with your first point. Others as well but I laugh when I hear people forever going on about over training when there training has zero intensity to begin with. I guess I am not on board with the idea of letting the drugs do all the magic.

The magic begins by making the body do something that it hasn't done before. Our bodies are adaptation machines. Once they adapt you had better have the next phase in mind otherwise improvement will be slim to nothing.

most people have a fear of "over doing" anything that is a bit hard.
they will find a lot of excuses and studies to back it up.

I have been on lower vol (dc variation) for a long time now , never ever thought of it as easy , as with all the warm ups i need and the widow makers , it makes for some vol. but I look at your routine in absolute fear.

Mountaindog -

Great thread I have been doing alot of thinking about training past few days...

I happen to fall in that .01% and use to overtrain until i finally gave Low Volume training a shot and stuck with 2 years ago..

In regards to your casein ...I experimented with cottage cheese with oats or milk with whey and sweet potatoes 1 hr 15 minutes prior to workout ,,, and all it made me was more sluggish during workouts and bloated

I wanted your thoughts on high doses of ALA (pharmaceutical grade) to achieve some type of insulin effect... I am carb insensitive to some degree but I notice when taken large doses of ALA 15minutes prior to carb meals I gain very minimal fat if any at all for for example for 60g of carbs i am using 1.5grams... for 120g im using 3g of ALA ,, I have tried Rala many times but I get no drop in blood sugar however with ALA I get get my fasted bg to go from 85 - 75 and afer a meal it gets to a high of 100 or just over and starts climbing down...

Any thoughts?

yes

thanks !

Mountaindog -

Great thread I have been doing alot of thinking about training past few days...

I happen to fall in that .01% and use to overtrain until i finally gave Low Volume training a shot and stuck with 2 years ago..

In regards to your casein ...I experimented with cottage cheese with oats or milk with whey and sweet potatoes 1 hr 15 minutes prior to workout ,,, and all it made me was more sluggish during workouts and bloated

Could have been that conventional milk is crap and produces an allergenic affect....you could have lactose issues (see cottage cheese)...could have just been then amount you were eating...smaller portions of good choices rarely bloat people..

I wanted your thoughts on high doses of ALA (pharmaceutical grade) to achieve some type of insulin effect... I am carb insensitive to some degree but I notice when taken large doses of ALA 15minutes prior to carb meals I gain very minimal fat if any at all for for example for 60g of carbs i am using 1.5grams... for 120g im using 3g of ALA ,, I have tried Rala many times but I get no drop in blood sugar however with ALA I get get my fasted bg to go from 85 - 75 and afer a meal it gets to a high of 100 or just over and starts climbing down...

yes ALA is very good. It can help sensitize insulin receptors....they are the gaurdians of the cell....when insulin latches on to them (the more insulin sensitive oyu are the better), they let stuff in via Glut-4 carrier proteins...usually 900 mgs is plenty, but 1.5 grams isn't that insane....plus it's good for your liver and helps regenerate antioxidants...so I think your observations are good ones..

Any thoughts?

most people have a fear of "over doing" anything that is a bit hard.
they will find a lot of excuses and studies to back it up.

I have been on lower vol (dc variation) for a long time now , never ever thought of it as easy , as with all the warm ups i need and the widow makers , it makes for some vol. but I look at your routine in absolute fear.

DC training is definitely not classified as easy..! I agree. Some of volume is really semantics in how you count sets. You might do what person A calls 4 warm up sets then 1 working set. Person B might start counting sets and say you did 5 sets.....kind of like those who actually wathced Mentzer train will tell you that he did alot of work sets to get to his tough set..and then just called it one set..was it really low volume?

I like to vary the number of sets...wave volume up and down....but I do not like to wave intensity...intensity created adaptation...

of course we all need down time, not saying to go 100 mph all the time....so it's smart to work that in too.....but this deloading every 2 or 3 weeks is a little silly too....

you have holidays off, you get sick on occasion, you go on vacation, you take scheduled time off, you take it easy after a show, etc...how many deloads do you think you really need? haha - just thought I would throw that in as well...

I especially agree with your first point. Others as well but I laugh when I hear people forever going on about over training when there training has zero intensity to begin with. I guess I am not on board with the idea of letting the drugs do all the magic.

The magic begins by making the body do something that it hasn't done before. Our bodies are adaptation machines. Once they adapt you had better have the next phase in mind otherwise improvement will be slim to nothing.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
nohara5216
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws