over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

1-2 working sets vs 4-5

Brock456

Registered
Newbies
I see a bunch of guys doing 1-2 warmups then 1-2 all out sets to failure.

What are the benefits to this vs doing 1-2 warmups then 3-4 working sets? Especially if you’re only training each body part 1x a week.

Bro, just dig through this site. This has been discussed a LOT.

As a rule of thumb, if you want to start a thread like this on a very hashed out topic, then you have to start the thread with a truly original thought/strategy. The way you’ve posted this thread, is just asking to be spoon fed.

Bro, just dig through this site. This has been discussed a LOT.

As a rule of thumb, if you want to start a thread like this on a very hashed out topic, then you have to start the thread with a truly original thought/strategy. The way you’ve posted this thread, is just asking to be spoon fed.

I actually did search. Last thread I saw was from 2015 I believe discussing Unbelievable from Ronnie Coleman….
Not looking to be spoon fed either.
Just looking to hear recent opinions on one vs the other….

1-2 working sets is best reserved for advanced bodybuilders. To get the most out of it you need to have a great mind-muscle connection and be able to generate a ton of intensity on each rep. Most beginner and many intermediate bodybuilders simply can't train with enough intensity on the target muscle to fatigue it in just a few sets.

I do about 5-6 warmup sets. Right now I’m doing 4-6 total working failure sets per upper body part on upper body day and 8 for lower body. About 8-12 weekly for upper and 16 weekly for lower. That’s just me.
Not really sure what you want to know. It doesn’t matter honestly as long as you’re training hard, recovering, getting stronger and growing and are consistent. Just pick a routine you like and stick with it. They all work. If I did only 1-2 warmup sets I’d be afraid I’d tear or pull something.

I see a bunch of guys doing 1-2 warmups then 1-2 all out sets to failure.

What are the benefits to this vs doing 1-2 warmups then 3-4 working sets? Especially if you’re only training each body part 1x a week.
Is it 1-2 sets per exercise or body part? Because I’m only doing 2 sets per most exercises. A top end set and a back off set.

Look up Big A’s growth principles for beginners. You really need to know how to train for it. If you do it and you still feel fresh you by no means trained hard enough like @danieltx said it really is for advanced lifters.

I do about 5-6 warmup sets. Right now I’m doing 4-6 total working failure sets per upper body part on upper body day and 8 for lower body. About 8-12 weekly for upper and 16 weekly for lower. That’s just me.
Not really sure what you want to know. It doesn’t matter honestly as long as you’re training hard, recovering, getting stronger and growing and are consistent. Just pick a routine you like and stick with it. They all work. If I did only 1-2 warmup sets I’d be afraid I’d tear or pull something.

I brought it up Bc honestly I see more guys doing it. I’ve always been a volume guy similar to jay cutlers program and some progressive overload.

never really tried the 1-2 working sets. I can see how it might mean more growth Bc of less overall volume. I also enjoy the pump I get from the volume I do.

Another factor would be I’m late 30’s and I could see 1-2 working sets being at more risk for injury as someone mentioned….

I brought it up Bc honestly I see more guys doing it. I’ve always been a volume guy similar to jay cutlers program and some progressive overload.

never really tried the 1-2 working sets. I can see how it might mean more growth Bc of less overall volume. I also enjoy the pump I get from the volume I do.

Another factor would be I’m late 30’s and I could see 1-2 working sets being at more risk for injury as someone mentioned….
A lot of pros are doing it now but just because it's popular doesn't mean it's best for you.

1-2 working sets shouldn't put you at any more risk of injury. You take as many warm up sets as you need to get to that 1-2. If you're just not a high intensity trainer then yeah maybe going all out on 1-2 sets would put you more at risk of injury. If volume is what you like and you're getting good results then there's no reason to change.

I’m 36 and I’ve always kinda trained this way for the most part. If what you’re doing now works then keep doing it. More guys are doing it now because of Jordan Peters. Join Jordan Peters site just to get an idea and see how to set it up. It might click with you and then again it might not. You’ll be out like $10 I think.

There are tons of threads about this. You needed to do any search about volume. The volume intensity debate happens literally every other week here. And the 1-2 vs 4-5 is just a volume intensity question.

In my head, the newer you are the to gym (training age) the more you don't truly know how to push yourself to true failure.
Therefore its going to take more sets for you to really fatigue and kick that muscle ass. I have no problem telling dudes who are new to the gym to go the more volume route. Mind muscle connection takes time to develop. Eventually, you get to a point where you have great mind muscle connection and can really dial it in for true failure on 1-2 sets. Those guys are advanced guys like danieltx said.

What I do...

Elliptical, then 10 presses, 10 pulls, 10 shoulder rotation prior to wo...then 1 warmup around 50 percent my working set weight per part trained that day

Weekly volume about 8 sets, 12 for shoulders as I want to bring them up. To regular failure, not "I can't move the bar another millimeter " failure

Stretch after...

Imo about 8 sets is a good number for most. For those who go insane with intensity they can do less but most don't need to, or understand all out intensity, so about 8 sets is good for most

20 + sets per part, no way your going intense enough

I don't like rir methods, focus during a set should be about hitting the muscle with a mind muscle connection and generating adequate intensity not "am I calculating this right" "am I hitting my proper rir" . Training shouldn't be a math equation.

With all due respect, this thread should be in the beginners forum.

I'ts all about progression.I1f you are adding weight to the bar or reps you will grow.Train hard and intensely rest and grow.

Doing less overall sets shouldn't effect pump. I train top set, back off set and really hone in on movements getting great pumps. As long as hydrated/ nutrition is good. Hell, my pumps are better training with less sets than they ever were with volume. Also, you could do 2 sets and up rep ranges requiring less load(maybe 12-20 rep range, instead of 6-15 range) But if focus is where it should be, you will probably lift less weight and get more from it. If you need an intensifier, add it.

The difference between volume training and high intensity training is this - let me present it with an example:

-You make a set to fall in the range of 6-8 repetitions, which is about 75-80% 1MR, so in this case all repetitions from 2-3 will already be stimulating to growth, so you do, say, 8 repetitions of which 6-7 is what will stimulate the muscle to hypertrophy.

In the case of volume - you have a weight for about 10-12 repetitions, i.e. about 60-70% max, but you do sets with a reserve of 2-3 repetitions, here the stimulating repetitions start only from 5-6 repetitions and you finish with a reserve of, for example, 2 repetitions so vividly - you have a set of 8 repetitions to do where you have 2 more and stimulating repetitions only start with 5 moves so you only really have 3 stimulating repetitions in this set, i.e. you need to do 2 times more volume to balance the stimulus from the set made to fall

To be clear, both methods work just as well when there is a progressive overload. I would not stick to one method all the time, only periodically changing them, after 5-8 weeks of high-intensity training, it would be useful to do 2-4 weeks of lower intensity and more volume to rest the nervous system and tendons

I can’t remember who said it....Dante, Scott, maybe Jesus....

“Everything works..until it doesn’t”

oh and if your a Nerd on muscle physiology y’all have to go check out Chris beardsley Instagram or medium. Guy is a super scientific hypertrophy. He breaks down all the recent studies, breaks down each muscle group into fiber type, insertion points, super good stuff.

I've gotten lazy over the years , now I just let John Meadows , Scott Stevenson or Dante Trudell figure all the thinking and just follow one of there programs.

They all work , if you are willing to push the intensity , focus on the recovery and eat to accommodate your goals

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131