over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

10 Machines You Shouldn't Use

I have a BS in exercise science and am a nationally certified personal trainer. Although some of these things might be true, I think overall this is a load of crap. Certain movements like behind the neck presses or pulldowns do put the shoulders in a bad position, but as for the rest, it totally depends on one's body structure and what works for you individually! Smith squats are great when executed properly, so are leg extensions, leg press, etc. Anyone could make an arguement for ANY exercise being bad for you. It all comes down to your own mechanics, coordination, muscle, and if you have proper form I.e. Work the muscles the right way which very few actually do in correct posture. Just my two cents.

10 Machines You Shouldn't Use
Get Fit: Fitness, Exercise Workout and Training Information | Fitbie

1. Seated Leg Extension

What it actually does: It strengthens a motion your legs aren't actually designed to do, and can put undue strain on the ligaments and tendons surrounding the kneecaps.

Very true - have seen many knee issues/injuries due to heavy loads used on a leg extension machine...this motion was not ever intended to be performed under that much tension and it wears the joint improperly.

2. Seated Military Press

What it actually does: Overhead pressing can put shoulder joints in vulnerable biomechanical positions. It puts undue stress on the shoulders, and the movement doesn't let you use your hips to assist your shoulders, which is the natural way to push something overhead.

Here I prefer a handstand pushup or standing dumbbell or barbell pressing for a more natural motion...

3. Seated Lat Pull-Down (Behind the Neck)

What it actually does: Unless you have very flexible shoulders, it's difficult to do correctly, so it can cause pinching in the shoulder joint and damage the rotator cuff.

This can REALLY tear a shoulder up! Again, the joint was not "designed" to track under load in this fashion...just because your body CAN move in a certain way does not mean it SHOULD.

4. Seated Pec Deck

What it actually does: It can put the shoulder in an unstable position and place excessive stress on the shoulder joint and its connective tissue.

Other than being a machine, I think pec dec is generally safe, minus the older ones that you had your forearm on the pad...those place undue stress on the shoulder and can cause damage...either way this exercise is frequently performed with far more weight that necessary. The ones with the handles that forces you to do more of a dumbbell flye motion, are safest.

5. Seated Hip Abductor Machine

What it actually does: Because you are seated, it trains a movement that has no functional use. If done with excessive weight and jerky technique, it can put undue pressure on the spine.

Pretty much a waste of time movement...I call the abductor/adductor machines "good girl" and "bad girl" hahaha.

6. Seated Rotation Machine

What it actually does: Because the pelvis doesn't move with the chest, this exercise can put excessive twisting forces on the spine.

Terrible for your spine...has no place in gyms of today with what we know...usually don't see them in the newer gyms...

7. Seated Leg Press

What it actually does: It often forces the spine to flex without engaging any of the necessary stabilization muscles of the hips, glutes, shoulders, and lower back.

Personally have only injured myself with these going too heavy...I haven't used a leg press in years...occasionally a single leg press maybe but generally I wouldn't use these knowing what we do now.

8. Squats Using Smith Machine

What it actually does: The alignment of the machine — the bar is attached to a vertical sliding track — makes for linear, not natural, arched movements. This puts stress on the knees, shoulders, and lower back.

Very unnatural movement...stresses my back and knees. Just SQUAT with a bar!

9. Roman Chair Back Extension

What it actually does: Repeatedly flexing the back while it's supporting weight places pressure on the spine and increases the risk of damaging your disks.

These are fine if performed properly more as a ham/glute exercise and no need for extra weight...

10. Roman Chair Sit-Up

What it actually does: The crunching motion can put undue stress on the lower back when it is in a vulnerable rounded position.

Again, without weight if done right...not a problem generally.

This is older but just seeing it now, and must say for the most part I agree! I barely train with machines at all anymore as I feel it's just a better way to lift since, that's how your body was designed/intended to move weight. I was a trainer for a long time, and have an Exercise Physiology degree as well.

I have a BS in exercise science and am a nationally certified personal trainer. Although some of these things might be true, I think overall this is a load of crap. Certain movements like behind the neck presses or pulldowns do put the shoulders in a bad position, but as for the rest, it totally depends on one's body structure and what works for you individually! Smith squats are great when executed properly, so are leg extensions, leg press, etc. Anyone could make an arguement for ANY exercise being bad for you. It all comes down to your own mechanics, coordination, muscle, and if you have proper form I.e. Work the muscles the right way which very few actually do in correct posture. Just my two cents.

I agree!!

H-

I do seated military press just because of the low cieling in my basement....I just use lower weight is all.

And I will vouch a heavy pec dec will wreck shoulders some kind of fast :D

The article brings up many good points, but in the same token in most cases it states the obvious. (With the exception of the smith machine squats training your biceps, I've now found the secret to 20" arms).

I mean this article could have just come out and said putting your body in any type of unnatural stress could in some way damage the body. In any fact of the matter weight training itself is "unnatural". Just because the body can do something doesn't necessarily mean it's good/effective. In any situation where you are trying to make some sort of breakthrough you need to put yourself in an awkward situation to reach that point on the other side i.e. better physique, figuring out how to lift bigger weights etc...

Articles like this make me bounce my head off the wall, because it just seems like it's unnecessary hype for people who don't know any better. Now a million Planet Fitness freaks are now exercise experts thanks to this enthralling article by MSN.

-Huge

NEVER PUSH ANYTHING OVER YOUR HEAD.......YOU ARE ASKING FOR ROTATOR CUFF PROBLEMS

oh come on.. you wanna tell me the way to a big set of shoulders it lateral raises??
I will say never do any behind the neck exercises ..it put the rotator cuff at a bad angle ...and NO bench presses..they are responsible for more damaged shoulders then anything ...in fact have never heard of anyone saying they hurt there shoulders doing military presses...though I guess I could see it if going too deep..like bar to upper chest ???

oh come on.. you wanna tell me the way to a big set of shoulders it lateral raises??
I will say never do any behind the neck exercises ..it put the rotator cuff at a bad angle ...and NO bench presses..they are responsible for more damaged shoulders then anything ...in fact have never heard of anyone saying they hurt there shoulders doing military presses...though I guess I could see it if going too deep..like bar to upper chest ???

Flat bench is the most over rated so called "chest builder" of all time. incline and decline press are way more effective and much safer movements for adding size to your chest.

1. Seated Leg Extension

If you do too much weight, it can injury your knees. It's best for warm up sets.

2. Seated Military Press

Behind the neck presses are unnatural movements, so it better to do them in the front. I don't see this machine as being a problem. Using a medicine-ball is not going to do anything for your shoulders.

3. Seated Lat Pull-Down (Behind the Neck)

Once again... behind the neck isn't a natural movement. Doing it in the front is best.

4. Seated Pec Deck

If you are having shoulder problem and this exercise hurts, then don't do it. Other than that, it's still a good exercise to include in your routine.

5. Seated Hip Abductor Machine

I agree with them on this one. I never recommend them, and yet gym trainers always tell women this is a good one for them to do. If you are doing squats and lunges, then you don't need this machine.

6. Seated Rotation Machine

Another worthless machine that trainers like for women to do. Stick to the basics... crunches and sit-ups always work best.

7. Seated Leg Press

Squats are always the best exercise for legs, but this one is a good alternative. However, you shouldn't use this as your core exercise.

8. Squats Using Smith Machine

I agree with them on this one. SM can add stress to the knees, shoulders and lower back. Better exercise is regular old squats.

9. Roman Chair Back Extension

I never got much out of this machine. I think the back extension bench is a much better way to do them. The back extension bench I think is what they are calling the "Roman Chair Sit-up".

10. Roman Chair Sit-Up

I don't agree with the on this one. Some people have low back problems and if this machine hurts, then don't do it. It can put stress on it. I find it makes my back feel better. It will really depend on the person.

...just my 2¢.

Agreed 100%. I'm a NCSF Personal Trainer and it boggles my mind the garbage that the trainers in gyms across the country, have clients doing. They almost always do these idiotic exercises, some i've never even seen before, look unnatural and dangerous, etc. Not even lying here, but I once seen a trainer having a client to bb squats STANDING ON A BOSU BALL! The trainer claimed it "is an excellent exercise for the core." More like an excellent way to get injured. Most trainers just flat out suck and have no clue what they're doing and you can always see it in their own physique. Rant over :)

Flat bench is the most over rated so called "chest builder" of all time. incline and decline press are way more effective and much safer movements for adding size to your chest.

Agreed, decline and heavy dips are best imo. Any time you hear about a pec tear or shoulder problems, it's almost always from flat bench press.

Agrred!

I would never recommend doing behind the neck military, just too much stress on the shoulder. I dislocated my shoulder doing this and it will never be the same again...

Oh ya almost forgot... Dislocated it doing the pec deck as well. Even with low weight...

Great read, too bad some gyms are so lacking on equipment, so of these machines are still required to work certain body parts.

What about seated flies machine? The kind where you have your arms fully extended. A friend of mine told me it was hard on his joints a while back, I didn't listen. After doing heavy weight on it for a couple of months I could feel the stress on my joints and no longer use it.

What about seated flies machine? The kind where you have your arms fully extended. A friend of mine told me it was hard on his joints a while back, I didn't listen. After doing heavy weight on it for a couple of months I could feel the stress on my joints and no longer use it.

This movement does stress you shoulders pretty bad...it is NOT to be used with heavy weights. Some people have bullet proof joints it seems and don't get injured...I am not one of them. LOL.

Meh. There's a good use for almost every machine. Most people should try to use free weights to get the max benefit, but sometimes a machine is good too. If you've got a knee issue, sometimes a machine is the only way to get back to the free weights.

For an unsupervised beginner, I agree with all of these...however, any knowledgeable trained athlete knows that there is a "good" way to do an exercise and a "bad" way that can lead to injury.

I love finding new uses for machines that are in no related to their purposed design.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
nohara5216
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws