over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

A humble tribute to The Mountain Dog

John was pure gold. For a long time I was a low volume hit guy so didn't really watch his stuff. Then for some reason I did, tried a few of his workouts, pure gold. Especially his arm training and 200 rep videos for arms and delts, just an amazing resource and pleasure to listen to. His videos are pure gold he doesn't waste time going off topic, true to be funny, promoting products, it's just pure knowledge being passed on for the duration of each video.

A recent post by a former (banned) member of the site had me kind off pissed of because he disparaged my friend. I felt a bit compelled to make this post. It has been a few years since John Meadows passed away. I know that many here will never forget him, but I felt like something good to do in '24 would be to refresh our memories of John. It is important to keep the spirit of those who have left us alive.

I am going to share a random and meaningless to everyone else a story about John below, but I please ask and encourage you to share anything you can that will help us all reminisce about his greatness / generosity, etc., even if it was something as simple as running one of his programs.

I was stationed in Columbus as a medical recruiting company commander from 2010-2013. John would frequently train at Metro Worthington, which was my "home" gym. I was a 28-year-old natty with a decent physique and decent strength, but a literal nobody. I asked him a question once about dietary fat. He talked to me for 45 minutes and then befriended me and would talk to me every time he was there. I was a nothing. He had zero reason to give me any of his time. He was genuine, authentic and caring. he just loved to fuckin train lol. He was still pretty hot and heavy with training with Dave Tate at EFS, but told me trained at multiple gyms and the really only reason he went to Metro Worthington was because of a singular seated row machine they had that he loved. LOL. It is so John, but also so me lol. This is the kind of stuff we would bullshit about. I could understand it. I have held a second gym membership just for a piece of equipment multiple times in my travels.

I moved away, and a few years later, despite no longer living in Cbus, I came back to compete in an OCB bodybuilding show. I went to train at my "old home" the night before the show and John happened to be there. He remembered me and we chatted for an hour. He was so pumped and ended up coming the next day to see me compete at the OSU student union. I would never in a million years would have thought he would have remembered me. It was really special because I won my first natty pro card, and he was there to root for me. I had no family or friends at the show. He was such a great dude, and I miss him tremendously. He was so proud of his sons. I hope that his family has found some sort of peace.

Even if no one replies, thanks for reading friends.
Very thoughtful and heartfelt. We could use more of that. Thank you.

Thank you for sharing.

I really miss john

Im a noone from a small eu country , i emailed him once with my pics and wrote i have no money for trainer

He replied with some of the best feedback i ever got and even folowed up emails to check if i got it right

I cried irl when i heard his passing

Always in out hearts , a legend of our sport

Till we talk again john 🫡

I had a number of conversations with him online, not in real life like so many other. I can say with certainty that there will NEVER be another John Meadows. EVER. He was that unique cool dorky guy who captured everybody from his hard work ethic, determination and just being the nicest human being possible. I would never have thought in a million years he would have left us all this early. I knew of his family history, of both parents dying young. I think he mentioned at least one of them had a drug or alcohol addiction IIRC. Despite that, I still can't believe the guy is gone. There are those few people out there who can draw everybody's attention and respect, and he was one of them. You either have that or you don't. When I think of unique people in our little subculture of training, I think of guys like Arnold, Yates, Duchaine, DoggCrapp, Lyle McDonald, and a few others, and John is on that list. Sometimes you don't realize how little time we have with each other until they are gone. I was looking forward to having John in our corner for many more decades, and unfortunately that didn't happen. Outside of his nice demeanor, I always had the most respect for him on how he connected with his family, and the love he showed form his kids. He was like a big kid himself, with all the superhero stuff and so much more, and after all the hours he put into work and training and life stuff, he always had time to give back to his kids and be there like a dad, a real man!

If somebody asked me one person I could bring back to life, it would probably be John Meadows. Despite not putting himself on a mantle, he was a giant in our subculture, a true loss to all of us, a true loss to humanity.

I found JM through working with Shelby. I think at one point they teamed up together to do each others diet and programming.

I messaged John a few times, and especially when he was working with Dave Tate and building “unity”.

I am so much more a nobody than the guys that have posted in this thread. But we both LOvED comics. He always responded to my questions and gave tips.

And whoever said they watch is old videos…..I do the same. And sometimes my eyes get watery.

He was a human that is basically a complete stranger, but impacts your life tremendously.

One word……..LEGEND.

Trying to find anything less than exemplary comments on the internet about John is a very very tough thing to do. And few others in this or most any other sport can say the same thing. And that says something about the whole life that the person has lived.

The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, duck heads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude.

John had several public conflicts. Without fail, anyone speaking poorly of Meadows simply revealed their true colors.

Each week, when I perform a Bulgarian split squat of death, I think to myself, "I remember, John."

i had been watching John since i was a young teenager. his passing was very difficult

i cant watch Samson's tribute routine without feeling a certain type of way

i bet John is doing partial laterals and 6-ways in heaven right now

I came across this today and had not seen it before now. It was a bit ironic that I came across it today. If you all did not know Antoine and John worked together in the earlier part of the 2010's. This video is amazing. I already said it in the AC '24 thread that I was rooting for AV. I always love a comeback story and AV has battled injuries and multiple personal demons that he has been candid about throughout his career.

The vid is 19:00 minutes

TL;DR

Antoine gives a heartfelt tribute and shares his insights and personal experiences with the late John Meadows. Antoine discusses the profound legacy that John, a respected coach, athlete, and mentor, left in the bodybuilding world. Through anecdotes and reflections, Antoine highlights the techniques, philosophies, and values that John Meadows contributed to the sport, and how these have shaped athletes and the industry at large.

Thanks to everyone who commented here

I hope his wife and sons know how beloved he still is.

Very cool story. Our paths likely crossed. Was it worlds gym at all when you were there? I moved to the other end of town so basically just continued to do legs there only until around 2014 or so but I was there from like '04-'14. Great gym. Had a fantastic atmosphere for a long, long time.
I didnt want to take the thread in another direction, but I decided to reply here anyway in case anyone else reading this felt the same way about that gym, especially since that is where my personal friendship with John was born and existed. I Loved that gym, 5 different hack squat variations lol. We have probably met and talked. I knew many members there who were regulars. I was probably there every day for those 3 years give or take. A few guys I remember a dude named Garth (cant recall last name) pretty jacked, always tan dude older looked awesome. Another guy named Marc (maybe Mark, last name may have been Perry or Pauly) (hopefully that is not inappropriate to say) really great physique pretty sure he may have won a pro card. Jim Seitzer I talked to frequently a few guys he trained with. There was a powerlifting crew that ran westside shit in the PL room. Could be goofy at times but all nice guys. There was another cat there named Travis Branstetter who was similar to John in that he was a pro as well, and had no reason to give me his time for shit, but always offer me advice / guidance whatever for free despite being a coach himself (I think it was a side gig for him). Obviously, Davies was always there, he was ALWAYS training people never talked to him much, but he did compliment my work ethic and my physique (for a natty lol) one time, and I won't forget it, simply because he didn't have to, and he sees a tome of competitors so I assumed for him to say that meant he meant it.

Then there was always the run-ins with Francois, who is another awesome guy. Mike was always training someone so I never got the lengthy sit-down bullshit sessions with him outside of 2 or 3 times. But he would always say hello and call me by first name. Still looked awesome and his calves were carved out of granite.

It was always called Metro when I lived there, but I am from Dayton and my best friend from my childhood lived in Cbus. I have trained there when it was World and still have some Gorilla World shirts from that period. That's how I knew it even existed when I moved there and signed up.

it was always a fun place to be around the Arnold. At least at that time. It was a destination gym where all the pros in town would come to either train or do photo shoots. Id show up for a Friday night leg day per usual and peak Seth Feroce was in there doing a photo shoot. Saw many guy and gal pros. Cedric and Pakulski stand out as some of those I remember vividly.

I was fortunate to work with John when he was the VP of the bank and also when he quite and went full time. Hell i still have his bank email.

Two things i remember about JM. First he used to say, "Its not true when people say you are what you eat. You are what you eat has eaten."
Second, John was the VERY first person, inside or out of fitness, that preached grass fed beef. That industry has no clue who JM is, but the entire GF industry was heavily advanced because of John. RIP my friend. DR
He was also (along with Scott Stevenson) who pioneered peri-workout nutrition, specifically relating to intra-carbs and EAA. Perhaps not that he was the first ever, but he certainly championed it heavily long before the larger part of the industry adopted it. They were also the first I can recall to really push that they must be EAA and not BCAA, and at a time when BCAA were blasting off into the stratosphere

I came across this today and had not seen it before now. It was a bit ironic that I came across it today. If you all did not know Antoine and John worked together in the earlier part of the 2010's. This video is amazing. I already said it in the AC '24 thread that I was rooting for AV. I always love a comeback story and AV has battled injuries and multiple personal demons that he has been candid about throughout his career.

The vid is 19:00 minutes

TL;DR

Antoine gives a heartfelt tribute and shares his insights and personal experiences with the late John Meadows. Antoine discusses the profound legacy that John, a respected coach, athlete, and mentor, left in the bodybuilding world. Through anecdotes and reflections, Antoine highlights the techniques, philosophies, and values that John Meadows contributed to the sport, and how these have shaped athletes and the industry at large.
link I forgot

LOL, he goes "150 lbs dumbells, and I ask John how many reps, thinking he'd say 12 and I would do 15, John says 25"

Billy Joel said it best...... "Only the good die young"..... RIP JM

There have only been 2 people in my 20+ years of watching the bodybuilding world who pushed the truth even when they could have promoted a bunch of garbage products over the years and people trust these 2 individuals so much they would have bought anything they asked them to but yet they chose to miss out on tons of money just because they valued their integrity more.

Those 2 individuals were/are John Meadows and Dante Trudel.

There have only been 2 people in my 20+ years of watching the bodybuilding world who pushed the truth even when they could have promoted a bunch of garbage products over the years and people trust these 2 individuals so much they would have bought anything they asked them to but yet they chose to miss out on tons of money just because they valued their integrity more.

Those 2 individuals were/are John Meadows and Dante Trudel.

Evan also resigned from Singerman's company, I think along with Meadows, because he didn't want to be part of the marketing scams.

John was the VERY first person, inside or out of fitness, that preached grass fed beef. That industry has no clue who JM is, but the entire GF industry was heavily advanced because of John. RIP my friend. DR
I'm going to say Cream of Rice as well. B&G Foods owes John immensely for what was likely an exponential jump in their sales since 2017. Pride Foods wouldn't even exist without John and any supplement company that has cream of rice in their product lineup owes him as well. Growing up I knew what cream of wheat was and we had it in the house, but until John did that concoction bowl video I didn't know what cream of rice was. Now everyone eats it.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws