over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Adding weight to the bar or reps?

massnup

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
How much does adding a rep to the bar add as far as weight goes? Like say doing 315 for 8 and increasing it too 315 for 12, is it better to do that for size than trying to add 5lbs every month or so?

Personally I think it is best to do both switch your training up do reps on some sets and heavy weights on others

Should be trying to do both, whether its one or the other at one time or both simultaneously- the name of the game is progression.

if go from 8 to 9 with 315, you've done 315 pounds more work on that set.
if u add 5 pounds and do 8 reps you've added 40 pounds total work.
to me adding reps sounds more efficient. then again, I usually add weight...

I think anything past 12 and you're no longer building fast twitch muscle.

Should be trying to do both, whether its one or the other at one time or both simultaneously- the name of the game is progression.

This plus time under tension. Time under tension builds muscle. Over 12 reps is too much though.

Yup

I think anything past 12 and you're no longer building fast twitch muscle.

This plus time under tension. Time under tension builds muscle. Over 12 reps is too much though.

Disagree... Scott Stevenson has written extensively about this on here and in his Fortitude Training book and hypertrophy can still be created in high rep ranges, but you need to truly take the set to absolute failure. Higher rep ranges also minimize the effects on your CNS while still providing an strong stimulus for growth. Higher rep ranges also change the activation pattern of how fibers are recruited... High rep ranges should not used exclusively, as Aj says, and doing both will provide multiple unique stimuli to the muscle.

Think about widowmakers, they have a unique effect and they are above 12 reps...

If you're going for size and bodybuilding raise the reps, before the weight. Focus in feel and control. You want to activate slow twitch fibers. Yet I believe 8-12 is still the same fibers activated. If so then focus on the time under tension. You don't to few reps 5 or under,, that's fast twitch,you'll get stronger but not bigger... you want around I believe it's 8 to 15 or so for slow twitch. Which will give you your size. More reps will help but you also don't want extremes. Extremes become endurance. But them you also have exceptions to the rule based on the individual. Plus other variables like duration of time between sets etc. I learned this stuff about 20 years ago. Could be wrong jut my opinions.

This is how I look at it based on mostly my experiences with talking with vets and not actually my own experience.

First off, my personal experience reallly has shown me my body doesnt react a whole lot different to the two methods of building muscle. My body responds more to the rest and food aspects. I also save myself from injuries with lighter, and when I say light I mean light enough to fail at 12-20 reps giving it everything you have to give and more.

The biggest guys I've talked to have lifted MASSIVE weight in their lifetime at some point and for a decent amount of time. Typically in their younger years (20's or so) and then have switched over to higher rep work yet still maintaining some impressive numbers. This has been the circumstances over and over again from guys I talk to.

So basically you build up the muscle fastest while young and can handle those big boys numbers yet also be able to take nice punishment to your body without any massive injuries to put you out completely. But this period of time (if you want to stay healthy and functional later in life and not a Oxy dependent drug addict due to being in massive pain all the time with blown joints, bulging disks in your back and whatever else) isnt the main focus for too long with the intelligent and sucessful vets I've talked to. After lifting so heavy for say 10 years you're going to be a monster, so even at higher rep sets these guys are still pushing some seriously impressive weight by this point after their young invincible days. And as you get older your reps get higher to save your joints.

FOr example, look at Ronnie Coleman. Dude is a fucking MESS. I cant imagine how much pain he is in taking a 10 minute walk in the morning. His body looks pretty damn horrendous to be fair here considering he was the King of bodybuilding for all those years.

Then take a look at Dexter Jackson. Just as old yet still placing top 5 or 6 at the olympia for all these years and looks absolutely in picture perfect health. Immaculate physique and injury free. Bet the dude could run a damn 10k if he wanted with just a minimal amount of preparation.

On the other hand Ronnie has a torn lat that looks pretty damn bad, his body has been torn and ripped apart from head to toe from heavy weight lifting until his ending days and it sure shows now.

Genetically, both are in the top .5%. They just took completely different routes. Guess it depends what is more important to you? Being King Kong for your lifting years and later on a half disabled mess with constant pain and an incredibly beat up and almost shocking physique or be like Dexter and maybe be in the shadows yet maintain health, injury free all while maintaining your incredible physique that you spent your life creating.

I'll pick Dexter anyday. If it was up to me I'd gladly hand over the Crown whoever wanted it when comparing those two. Ronnie was the biggest baddest dude in the world for nearly a decade, but what is he now? Still impressively huge sure, but take that shirt off and pants off and he might still hear gasps but they arent the kind of gasps that you can be proud about. And to be fair, sure - Dexter still loaded up on gear, Ronnie isnt - but even if he was, his physique is too far gone to even come close to the aesthetics and just overall perfection of Jackson.

Fuck bodybuilding, do it for a hobby, not a obssessive out of control lifestyle due to personal insecurity issues all for NOTHING in the end. People forget quick. Alpha's come and go but they're forgotten as fast as they come up. Be intelligent, above all else maintain balance, keep your AAS use under control, enough to keep you growing and not hitting walls and if you get far enough to be taking multiple grams of stuff to maintain competitive be damn sure to get bloodwork very often and take the correct AIs, liver support, supps, give blood and whatever else I'm leaving out to make god damn sure you can be around to see your kids grow up and make families of their own and function able enough to keep up with the grandkids and be the grandpa all kids want.

Sorry, I got off track big time here. I just look around in amazement at the unpredictable, irresponsible, straight up fucking retarded actions that the majority of the bodybuilding community choose to do on a daily basis.

Back on track - as heavy as you can handle without hurting yourself. Or save yourself a ton of time and risk of injury and just hire John Meadows - he has the most creative and intelligent exercises to ensure optimal growth while saving your body. Not only will feel better but you may just be able to actually do what we're here for - living our lives with people, family, and lifting up others and making a positive difference in the world, no matter how slow or small that may be.

Again, I'm all over here, but my point to be clear is just do whatever ensures growth at a level that you're content and happy with in the most efficient and intelligent way to avoid injury at all costs like the damn plague. One mistep with 5 or more plates on your back and lights out. I have back issues at 27 years old due to my ignorance and ego in the gym. I tore my patella tendon in my knee with just 450 on the third set of 5. Plus, whats more impressive? 405 for 30 reps or 600 for 5? I'd put my money on Mr. 405 every damn time. High reps are tough, it takes some serious mind power to push through and give everything you got as your body is failing on your but yet you still push through and get it done. It recruits more muscle fibres, it takes extreme determination, healthy cardio levels, all while saving your joints and risk of muscle strains and tears.

But like I said, just hire JM and take the thinking out of it completely and just DO.

SOrry for my blabbering, hopefully it makes sense lol - been gone for almost 2 weeks, stilll dealing with jet lag and just a little out of it.

Yup

Disagree... Scott Stevenson has written extensively about this on here and in his Fortitude Training book and hypertrophy can still be created in high rep ranges, but you need to truly take the set to absolute failure. Higher rep ranges also minimize the effects on your CNS while still providing an strong stimulus for growth. Higher rep ranges also change the activation pattern of how fibers are recruited... High rep ranges should not used exclusively, as Aj says, and doing both will provide multiple unique stimuli to the muscle.

Think about widowmakers, they have a unique effect and they are above 12 reps...

I'll stand corrected.

This, add 5 lbs and another rep. Dont limit yourself.

All training done in phases is best. I have clients do all sets at 25.. another phase 5x5... etc. Progressive overload in all modalities will keep your body changing most efficiently.

This is how I look at it based on mostly my experiences with talking with vets and not actually my own experience.

First off, my personal experience reallly has shown me my body doesnt react a whole lot different to the two methods of building muscle. My body responds more to the rest and food aspects. I also save myself from injuries with lighter, and when I say light I mean light enough to fail at 12-20 reps giving it everything you have to give and more.

The biggest guys I've talked to have lifted MASSIVE weight in their lifetime at some point and for a decent amount of time. Typically in their younger years (20's or so) and then have switched over to higher rep work yet still maintaining some impressive numbers. This has been the circumstances over and over again from guys I talk to.

So basically you build up the muscle fastest while young and can handle those big boys numbers yet also be able to take nice punishment to your body without any massive injuries to put you out completely. But this period of time (if you want to stay healthy and functional later in life and not a Oxy dependent drug addict due to being in massive pain all the time with blown joints, bulging disks in your back and whatever else) isnt the main focus for too long with the intelligent and sucessful vets I've talked to. After lifting so heavy for say 10 years you're going to be a monster, so even at higher rep sets these guys are still pushing some seriously impressive weight by this point after their young invincible days. And as you get older your reps get higher to save your joints.

FOr example, look at Ronnie Coleman. Dude is a fucking MESS. I cant imagine how much pain he is in taking a 10 minute walk in the morning. His body looks pretty damn horrendous to be fair here considering he was the King of bodybuilding for all those years.

Then take a look at Dexter Jackson. Just as old yet still placing top 5 or 6 at the olympia for all these years and looks absolutely in picture perfect health. Immaculate physique and injury free. Bet the dude could run a damn 10k if he wanted with just a minimal amount of preparation.

On the other hand Ronnie has a torn lat that looks pretty damn bad, his body has been torn and ripped apart from head to toe from heavy weight lifting until his ending days and it sure shows now.

Genetically, both are in the top .5%. They just took completely different routes. Guess it depends what is more important to you? Being King Kong for your lifting years and later on a half disabled mess with constant pain and an incredibly beat up and almost shocking physique or be like Dexter and maybe be in the shadows yet maintain health, injury free all while maintaining your incredible physique that you spent your life creating.

I'll pick Dexter anyday. If it was up to me I'd gladly hand over the Crown whoever wanted it when comparing those two. Ronnie was the biggest baddest dude in the world for nearly a decade, but what is he now? Still impressively huge sure, but take that shirt off and pants off and he might still hear gasps but they arent the kind of gasps that you can be proud about. And to be fair, sure - Dexter still loaded up on gear, Ronnie isnt - but even if he was, his physique is too far gone to even come close to the aesthetics and just overall perfection of Jackson.

Fuck bodybuilding, do it for a hobby, not a obssessive out of control lifestyle due to personal insecurity issues all for NOTHING in the end. People forget quick. Alpha's come and go but they're forgotten as fast as they come up. Be intelligent, above all else maintain balance, keep your AAS use under control, enough to keep you growing and not hitting walls and if you get far enough to be taking multiple grams of stuff to maintain competitive be damn sure to get bloodwork very often and take the correct AIs, liver support, supps, give blood and whatever else I'm leaving out to make god damn sure you can be around to see your kids grow up and make families of their own and function able enough to keep up with the grandkids and be the grandpa all kids want.

Sorry, I got off track big time here. I just look around in amazement at the unpredictable, irresponsible, straight up fucking retarded actions that the majority of the bodybuilding community choose to do on a daily basis.

Back on track - as heavy as you can handle without hurting yourself. Or save yourself a ton of time and risk of injury and just hire John Meadows - he has the most creative and intelligent exercises to ensure optimal growth while saving your body. Not only will feel better but you may just be able to actually do what we're here for - living our lives with people, family, and lifting up others and making a positive difference in the world, no matter how slow or small that may be.

Again, I'm all over here, but my point to be clear is just do whatever ensures growth at a level that you're content and happy with in the most efficient and intelligent way to avoid injury at all costs like the damn plague. One mistep with 5 or more plates on your back and lights out. I have back issues at 27 years old due to my ignorance and ego in the gym. I tore my patella tendon in my knee with just 450 on the third set of 5. Plus, whats more impressive? 405 for 30 reps or 600 for 5? I'd put my money on Mr. 405 every damn time. High reps are tough, it takes some serious mind power to push through and give everything you got as your body is failing on your but yet you still push through and get it done. It recruits more muscle fibres, it takes extreme determination, healthy cardio levels, all while saving your joints and risk of muscle strains and tears.

But like I said, just hire JM and take the thinking out of it completely and just DO.

SOrry for my blabbering, hopefully it makes sense lol - been gone for almost 2 weeks, stilll dealing with jet lag and just a little out of it.

Have you been taking Q's Kratom?! Holy shit, now that's a post! :D

Have you been taking Q's Kratom?! Holy shit, now that's a post! :D

Yeah bro, been gone more than I'd like so I gotta make up for lost time lol.

I need to try the Kratom, have you?

Last edited:
Yeah bro, been gone more than I'd like so I gotta make up for lost time lol.

I need to try the Kratom, have you?

Yes sir! Q was nice enough to send me some samples and I really enjoy it. Get with Queefer and he will treat you good. I promise you won't be disappointed. I have a history with opiates, unfortunately so I'm used to really strong stuff and I still really like Kratom. It doesn't compare to opiates as far as potency and its not really suppose to, but even with my opiate usage I still really like Kratom. It gives you a nice chilled out feeling, good energy, and some euphoria.

I plan on making a big order soon bc I like it that much. Like I said, not to get high, but just for the overall benefits that I explained above.

Last edited:
Yes sir! Q was nice enough to send me some samples and I really enjoy it. Get with Queefer and he will treat you good. I promise you won't be disappointed. I have a history with opiates, unfortunately so I'm used to really strong stuff and I still really like Kratom. It doesn't compare to opiates as far as potency and its not really suppose to, but even with my opiate usage I still really like Kratom. It gives you a nice chilled out feeling, good energy, and some euphoria.

I plan on making a big order soon bc I like it that much. Like I said, not to get high, but just for the overall benefits that I explained above.
Pming you brother

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311