advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Cheaper alternative to the "gym pin" for adding weight to selectorized stacks?

Biggerp73

Verified Customer
Registered
Verified Customer
I have been using the pins from other machines to add a 45lb plate, but I need to add more. Bought myself a long metal rod to stick into the stacks but that doesn't work. Looking online the "gym pin" looks perfect, can add up to three 45lb plates it looks like. But it's $80 plus shipping. Looking for cheaper options and have found some around $30 but they can't hold more than one 45lb plate. You guys have any recommendations?

My friend, if your bodybuilding is a priority to a point where you're looking into adding more weights than what the machines in your gym allow, then I don't think you should be concerned about $50-100 here and there. I get it, we all try to save money, but realistically, something like the "gym pin" targets an extremely niche market to begin with...so discovering a legitimate alternative to that isn't realistic. At least, in my opinion.

You're going to have to spend money if you want something sturdy and reliable. GymPins are absolutely worth the investment if you're serious about lifting - I have a KingPin that can hold three 45lb. plates easy.

If the stack is big enough use 2 pins and u can stack 45’s almost on top of each other

I agree with the other guys though. My gym has a proper one and it makes a difference

Sounds like there isn't a good alternative. $80 isn't a lot but I hate when products are marked up way above production costs. If I had a few basic metal working tools I could make one of these for a few bucks. Alas.

You should buy those basic metal working tools, I’m sure that’s a cheaper option than spending the $80 dollars on the gym pin.

Or maybe their initial capital outlay on the tools is part of why they think $80 is a reasonable price. Hmmm 🤔

You should buy those basic metal working tools, I’m sure that’s a cheaper option than spending the $80 dollars on the gym pin.

Or maybe their initial capital outlay on the tools is part of why they think $80 is a reasonable price. Hmmm 🤔
I do some woodworking and metal working as a hobby. People would be surprised at the costs for quality material.

Tools are definitely expensive as well.

You're going to have to spend money if you want something sturdy and reliable. GymPins are absolutely worth the investment if you're serious about lifting - I have a KingPin that can hold three 45lb. plates easy.
Nice and I bet you get some dirty looks using them haha. I have one myself but not the kingpin, and not all machines would have enough room to allow a 45lb plate to hang off the pin.

Just today I saw someone use one at a Planet Fitness.

Initial investment...
$20 4.5" diamond metal cutting blade
$60 4.5" circular saw

Product costs per batch...
$60 for 10ft of 2" steel pipe
$130 for twenty 300mm steel rods of 10mm thickness
$9 for 80lbs of concrete

Production process...
(1) cut 2" steel pipe into 5.5" sections
(2) cut 10mm rods down to 241mm
(3) pour concrete into steel pipes and insert rods into center. Let dry

$80 initial investment

$219 per batch of 20 kingpins

Sell for $40 to undercut gym pin by half and eat up the market, include free two day shipping so actual price is $30

20 sold at $30 is $600

$80 initial investment to flip $219 into $600 every batch

ROI is nearly triple

And all those prices are buying small quantities from retail stores. Profit margin gets much higher when buying bulk.

Could even sell them for $29.99 with free shipping (ground) and make ~$25 per product, so 20 @ $25 is $500, which means you more than double your money every batch. Again at retail prices, not counting for bulk discounts.

If none of you bums takes this business model by the time summer comes I might just do it myself.

You would be better off using a good epoxy instead of concrete because the pin will eventually get loose in the concrete possibly resulting in a catastrophic failure , if you are selling them then thats a huge liability. When you make something like that you have to expect the dumbest fucker on the planet using it.

There is a lot more to building a load bearing part that will last than just throwing some stuff together , the correct material , heat treatment , down to having a radius on the corners so there isn't a fracture point.

If I were back at work I'd build you one but that's gonna be a couple months. For the cost of a couple bottles of test I'd just buy one if I didn't have access to at least a decent welding machine.

You would be better off using a good epoxy instead of concrete because the pin will eventually get loose in the concrete possibly resulting in a catastrophic failure , if you are selling them then thats a huge liability. When you make something like that you have to expect the dumbest fucker on the planet using it.

There is a lot more to building a load bearing part that will last than just throwing some stuff together , the correct material , heat treatment , down to having a radius on the corners so there isn't a fracture point.

If I were back at work I'd build you one but that's gonna be a couple months. For the cost of a couple bottles of test I'd just buy one if I didn't have access to at least a decent welding machine.
Good idea with the epoxy

I was cheap and dangerous...I just bought an additional pin of Amazon and held the plate on with that.
I don't use it anymore, as I haven't the need,but it worked well enough, if a bit precarious. It's not safe, but it did the job.

In my home gym I use Allen keys, an old screwdriver and a piece of threaded rod. I like the danger that the plate is hanging by a thread and can fall at anytime. I see it as an impromptu drop set

I bought the kingpin. Personally I think it’s worth the investment

Initial investment...
$60 4.5" circular saw

$9 for 80lbs of concrete

Production process...

$80 initial investment

Sell for $40 to undercut gym pin by half and eat up the market, include free two day shipping so actual price is $30

20 sold at $30 is $600

ROI is nearly triple

And all those prices are buying small quantities from retail stores. Profit margin gets much higher when buying bulk.

Could even sell them for $29.99 with free shipping (ground) and make ~$25 per product, so 20 @ $25 is $500, which means you more than double your money every batch. Again at retail prices, not counting for bulk discounts.

If none of you bums takes this business model by the time summer comes I might just do it myself.

Bigger I love you brother but you're missing a lot of costs and barriers in regards to e-commerce there...you won't sell shit and you won't make shit on what you sell. Don't waste your time, trust me...

My stainless costs are higher than that

Initial investment...
$60 4.5" circular saw

$9 for 80lbs of concrete

Production process...

$80 initial investment

20 sold at $30 is $600

ROI is nearly triple

Sub it out to @cage99 . He builds a lot of things for his home gym!

I used a simple piece of hard steel that was bent at the end for years with no issues. Easy peasy and cheap.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws