over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Anti Depression Meds?

Lene28

Registered
My mom died a little over 3 years ago from Cancer; we only found out about it 4 months before she died. My family really didn't have a chance to get ready for it; like any amount of time can get u ready for that but y'all know what I mean. Anyways my dad has been on an emotional roller coaster ever since. He is going to see his doctor about anti depression Meds and just wanted to see if there is anything y'all recommend? Anything you recommend to stay away from?

Cymbalta and abilify worked good for me. I'd stay far away from depakote or anti-psych meds as I gained an ungodly amount of weight off of them.

Antidepressants are not very effective (relatively), and even when you find one that seems to help a bit, most of them eventually lose their effectiveness. The most popular ones (SSRI's) aren't much more effective than placebo (something like 30%).
They're really supposed to be used as a temporary relief while going through some form of therapy like CBT or something similar.
I have tried just about every one of them, and side effects were terrible for most of them.
Everyone seems to react so differently to them, you really have to just try them out and see how you feel on them. Some lucky people get relief from them without much sides, but that seems to be very uncommon.
The thing I worry about is that most of these newer drugs are not well understood, their mechanisms of action and long term effects are unknown.

I personally had the most success with Remeron, but most people that I have talked to that have used it all experienced side effects that made it intolerable. Most doctors will prescribe an SSRI, that's what the pharma sales reps push on doctors, and that's usually the first thing they'll throw at a patient to gauge their reaction. I personally had terrible results with the SSRI drugs, and I tried just about every one of them. Tons of sides and only minimal relief.

I'm sorry to hear about your mother, hopefully your father will be one of the better responders to these types of drugs.

I was on the 3 person launch team for Citalipram. With all due respect to one of the OP, SSRIs have helped many millions of people. Sometimes the first one doesn't work, often the situation requires a combination of medications.

I would find a good psychiatrist and counselor for your dad. He needs therapy and strong pharmacological intervention. It sounds like your Dad wants to join your Mother.

My advice is to quickly find competent medical help. Medical professionals with experience helping people in your Dad's situation. It's very common, and often does not end well.

Best wishes.

Antidepressants are not very effective (relatively), and even when you find one that seems to help a bit, most of them eventually lose their effectiveness. The most popular ones (SSRI's) aren't much more effective than placebo (something like 30%).
They're really supposed to be used as a temporary relief while going through some form of therapy like CBT or something similar.
I have tried just about every one of them, and side effects were terrible for most of them.
Everyone seems to react so differently to them, you really have to just try them out and see how you feel on them. Some lucky people get relief from them without much sides, but that seems to be very uncommon.
The thing I worry about is that most of these newer drugs are not well understood, their mechanisms of action and long term effects are unknown.

I personally had the most success with Remeron, but most people that I have talked to that have used it all experienced side effects that made it intolerable. Most doctors will prescribe an SSRI, that's what the pharma sales reps push on doctors, and that's usually the first thing they'll throw at a patient to gauge their reaction. I personally had terrible results with the SSRI drugs, and I tried just about every one of them. Tons of sides and only minimal relief.

I'm sorry to hear about your mother, hopefully your father will be one of the better responders to these types of drugs.

And some unfortunate patients find no relief from any medications. I hope you are OK.

5htp!!! 5htp!!! 5htp!!

it works wonders for me....and you can get it at the vitamin shop

viibryd had my guts in a balloon knot on a regular basis and after a few months started to ding my libido which it was claimed to not do... switched over to lexipro and been A L L GOOD over the last cpl months since made the switch... no tummy issues and libido is just fine... kind of refreshing actually

I like lexapro but tren is canceling it out about now.

what to stay away from IMO is ALL head pills and address the issues your father is having. Depression is mental, there is nothing physical about it, besides the routine behaviors people do, like hanging their head down, thinking about everything bad, etc. All those pills are meant to be is money makers for big pharma, and that`s what they are. When things have warnings like, may have suicidal thoughts anal leaked, sexual problems.... That SHOULD be enough for the low information patient to stay away.

what to stay away from IMO is ALL head pills and address the issues your father is having. Depression is mental, there is nothing physical about it, besides the routine behaviors people do, like hanging their head down, thinking about everything bad, etc. All those pills are meant to be is money makers for big pharma, and that`s what they are. When things have warnings like, may have suicidal thoughts anal leaked, sexual problems.... That SHOULD be enough for the low information patient to stay away.

You really need to research a bit further before making a statement like that. Depression has VERY real physical changes to the brain. My father has severe depression and his brain has changed physically as his depression worsens. His physician said there is actual physical damage to parts of his brain as a result of his severe depression.
Neurotransmitter levels can change, areas of the brain can become more/less active, synapses can malfunction, neurotransmitters can be reabsorbed by a neurotransmitter transporter of a pre-synaptic neuron after it has performed its function (hence SSRI's, reuptake inhibitors), and tons of other physical things can change.
People predisposed to mental issues have different physiology than a person with a healthy brain. To say it is all mental is an insult to anyone suffering from mental illness.

I have severe anxiety, and it drives me nuts when people tell me its all in my head. My body produces excessive amounts of cortisol, which is verified via testing. I am stuck in 'fight or flight' mode, and I can assure you it is not my imagination. I have to take medication to lower my cortisol.
I also have very low levels of GABA and poor GABA-ergic transmission, leaving me with very little disinhibitory neurotransmitters.... not a fun situation. I really wish it was something I could 'think away', but that's just not possible due to my physiology.

Last edited:
Before getting on psychotropics, make sure your dad gets his testosterone levels checked as well while he's at the doctor. It is entirely possible that he has low testosterone which is also giving him symptoms of depression.

Oh enlightened one

I have severe anxiety, and it drives me nuts when people tell me its all in my head. My body produces excessive amounts of cortisol, which is verified via testing. I am stuck in 'fight or flight' mode, and I can assure you it is not my imagination. I have to take medication to lower my cortisol.
I also have very low levels of GABA and poor GABA-ergic transmission, leaving me with very little disinhibitory neurotransmitters.... not a fun situation. I really wish it was something I could 'think away', but that's just not possible due to my physiology.

Why is your cortisol high? Address that and then your talking about a FIX. All other head pills are a mask, IMO. I believe your cortisol levels are high, why do you always feel a fight or flight? What is your life history? What events might have happened that you never fully addressed that causes this? I don`t want the answer to these questions, those are for you. It not about "thinking it away", its about controlling your thoughts, your perception of things and the meaning you give to them, reprogramming your brain. Positive thinking is bullshit.

Why is your cortisol high? Address that and then your talking about a FIX. All other head pills are a mask, IMO. I believe your cortisol levels are high, why do you always feel a fight or flight? What is your life history? What events might have happened that you never fully addressed that causes this? I don`t want the answer to these questions, those are for you. It not about "thinking it away", its about controlling your thoughts, your perception of things and the meaning you give to them, reprogramming your brain. Positive thinking is bullshit.

Are you serious right now?! That's like asking a type 1 diabetic why his BG levels are elevated!!! Figure it out and there's your fix?!?! Really??!!!

Never tried it but have heard a lot of good feedback. How do you suggest dosing?

I like 200mg taken before bed (it can cause drowsiness in some people) stack that with 10mg of Melatonin and one of the best natural sleep aids there is in my opinion

it does work very well as a mood enhancer as well increases the brain's natural production of serratonin

Sam-E is another over the counter supplement that is known as a good mood enhancement I tried it but the doses needed were between 800-1000mg and its not cheap so discontinued use

Last edited:
viibryd had my guts in a balloon knot on a regular basis and after a few months started to ding my libido which it was claimed to not do... switched over to lexipro and been A L L GOOD over the last cpl months since made the switch... no tummy issues and libido is just fine... kind of refreshing actually

Yeah, viibryd gave me the shits for a full month. Finally convinced my doc to change it and I'm on pristiq now. It's been much better.

5htp!!! 5htp!!! 5htp!!

it works wonders for me....and you can get it at the vitamin shop

I usually take before bed for better sleep but Im assuming you're using lower doses than 300mg.

How do you take it?

Are you serious right now?! That's like asking a type 1 diabetic why his BG levels are elevated!!! Figure it out and there's your fix?!?! Really??!!!

My point was most directed at the OP and depression in general since I don`t know anything specific about anybody nor do I care. Are you saying TNH was born with depression like a person is born with type 1? Really?

The OP`s mother died, everybody dies but when it is so sudden and expected it can be very hard to deal with. His father is what the thread is about. He became depressed after a specific event... did you read the thread? He needs to address his issues, NOT take pills. I would guess his rules and beliefs of life failed, your not supposed to lose your wife, that way, that sudden.... but it happened. So he should cover everything up with a pill that messes with the chemicals in his brain?... Most likely without any blood work.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws