over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Anti Inflammatories Bad For Gains?

TonyCyp

Registered
I had a back strain a few months ago and was prescribed Naproxen which is a strong Anti Inflammatory/pain killer. I usually work out around 12 noon and don't take the pill until like 12midnight. Any chance that taking this will hurt or inhibit my gains/muscle growth?
Also on TRT 200mg a week test if that makes a difference.

IMO TRT will more than offset any detrimental effects from NSAIDs.

I have seen studies where gains were less for younger guys. But as one gets older there is enough inflammation all the time whether you like it or not in general. i quit taking anti inflammatories in my younger days and still rarely take them. If i dislike bein gsore then i probably picked the wrong sport. With all the damage that they can cause o the stomach kidneys etc. i would rather put that towards something that can help me grow as opposed to just feeling better.

I had a back strain a few months ago and was prescribed Naproxen which is a strong Anti Inflammatory/pain killer. I usually work out around 12 noon and don't take the pill until like 12midnight. Any chance that taking this will hurt or inhibit my gains/muscle growth?
If a doctor prescribes you Naproxen I wouldn’t fill it… It’s just Aleve. Get you 200 for $5 at the drug store.

I take Ibuprofen daily at 800mg. I have for years. I take sporadic days off here and there if my pain isn’t too bad.

I do self bloodwork plus bi-annual doctor ordered bloodwork; all markers in check. I never saw any negative impacts on muscle gains either.

Cage

I take them only as needed, definitely not everyday though.

I think if you are on trt or cycle it won't hurt gains. Especially if you are older

There are mixed studies, some even showing an anabolic effect from NSAIDs. Best bet is to use as needed.

Is that back strain still bothering you from months ago? Have you gotten that look at? You want to treat and heal the underlying cause. Training through it with pain meds will strongly decrease your chances of full repair and recovery and highly increases the risk of it becoming something irreversible. My 2 cents

Can taking NSAIDs to lower inflammation actually help with the injury heal faster or are they really for the sole purpose of just trying to provide a little more comfort? Like i had a pretty bad tooth ache and my gums were a bit swollen and the pain was bad but i was more than able to tolerate it. But then i started thinking well maybe it will actually make it heal faster due to lowering the inflammation?
I just dont like taking them basically at all. The only time ill use then is after surgery in replace of narcotic pain meds.

It depends on if your asking if it's OPTIMAL. It does interfere with inflammation which is an important precursor to recovery and adaptation. Enough to notice a difference? Probably not. But OPTIMAL in all caps, probably not.

NSAIDS and the kidneys?
^^This is my biggest concern. I normally use Aleive 3-5x a year 400mg and it works like a champ. I've been dealing with some cervical issues so I've had to use more the last few months. Doesn't work as well the more often you use it (at least for me).

My GFR is still normally over 100 at almost 50 yrs old so I'd like to keep it that way.

@cage99 any issues with your GFR after your long term use?

^^This is my biggest concern. I normally use Aleive 3-5x a year 400mg and it works like a champ. I've been dealing with some cervical issues so I've had to use more the last few months. Doesn't work as well the more often you use it (at least for me).

My GFR is still normally over 100 at almost 50 yrs old so I'd like to keep it that way.

@cage99 any issues with your GFR after your long term use?
Over a hundred dang awesome. My eGFR is 57 i am 57 years old,,anyways my doctors have told me do not touch advil or aleeve and aleeve works really well for me too. Never really used a lot of it though. I do have to take a baby aspirin a day and tylenol when needed.

There are mixed studies, some even showing an anabolic effect from NSAIDs. Best bet is to use as needed.

Is that back strain still bothering you from months ago? Have you gotten that look at? You want to treat and heal the underlying cause. Training through it with pain meds will strongly decrease your chances of full repair and recovery and highly increases the risk of it becoming something irreversible. My 2 cents
Thanks everyone for replies. It def helps like 5x a week. Doctor said that it's a strain may take up to a year to heal. Things like.running or driving aggravated it the most. That back bend motion hurts it. Doc said to start doing things like running and returning to pro wrestling at slower pace. Last week I ran 15mimutes on treadmill for first time in months. Was fine during running but for about an hour or so after back was tight then went away.
I had one physical therapy session she said it's nothing serious just a strain and to use the meds and stretches and return to activities slowly.

Just checked my GFR number from my bloodwork in March of this year, it was 69.

Cage
Have you kept an eye on it over the years? Have you always been right about in that range?

Honestly I never did bloodwork in my early years. I started doing regular bloodwork around 35. I’m mid-40’s now. My gfr has ticked upwards over the years but not by much. I’ll have to dig but I believe I was around 55ish when I started.

Cage

Thanks everyone for replies. It def helps like 5x a week. Doctor said that it's a strain may take up to a year to heal. Things like.running or driving aggravated it the most. That back bend motion hurts it. Doc said to start doing things like running and returning to pro wrestling at slower pace. Last week I ran 15mimutes on treadmill for first time in months. Was fine during running but for about an hour or so after back was tight then went away.
I had one physical therapy session she said it's nothing serious just a strain and to use the meds and stretches and return to activities slowly.

Then there is a lot hope. What is the longest time you've gone with zero activity? Generally, a good 2-3 weeks of complete rest can heal some strains completely depending on severity.

NSAID ABUSE is generally unhealthy

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rh8767
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner