advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Anyone get bad GERD/acid reflux from Metformin?

nothuman

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
For a while now, I've had some pretty bad GERD and haven't really searched hard to find out why until now. Started browsing around and saw Metformin can cause this and now I am thinking this is what is causing it. I've been using 1500mg daily but now I'm thinking of lowering the dose to 500mg and possibly stopping it altogether if that doesn't help. Anyone else have this happen on Metformin? It could just be from something else instead of the Metformin but I don't know until I experiment.

Yes. Lots of people

Never got that but did get the runs when I tried to run 500mg at one time. So I started low, 250mg once a day for a week, then 250mg twice a day for week 2, then 500mg in the morning and 250mg at night for week 3, then 500mg in the morning and 500mg at night for week 4. I can now take 1000mg at once without a problem.

I don't get the runs from it. That stopped after two days. Been on it a year now and I'm starting to think this is why I'm having bad GERD

Yes, it can cause GERD in some individuals. You are best to cut the dose or stop taking it instead of taking a PPI or H2 blocker to treat the GERD. Metformin plus GERD meds increases the likelihood of B12 deficiency and associated neuropathy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GERD = chronic acid reflux

Mate I got it from it. this was one of the sides other then GI upset. defo if I remember correctly I had it especially when I took met on an empty stomach. are u taking it on a empty stomach ?

Yes, it can cause GERD in some individuals. You are best to cut the dose or stop taking it instead of taking a PPI or H2 blocker to treat the GERD. Metformin plus GERD meds increases the likelihood of B12 deficiency and associated neuropathy.

Well considering my B12 has always been highly elevated my whole life (1050ish a few weeks ago even on Metformin), I'd welcome something that could lower them a bit. IF (and only if) that's the only risk, what's a good PPI or H2 blocker?

Otherwise I'll try lowering to 500mg to see if that helps

Mate I got it from it. this was one of the sides other then GI upset. defo if I remember correctly I had it especially when I took met on an empty stomach. are u taking it on a empty stomach ?

Nah I usually take it with food and it always happens. It's worst at night

Well considering my B12 has always been highly elevated my whole life (1050ish a few weeks ago even on Metformin), I'd welcome something that could lower them a bit. IF (and only if) that's the only risk, what's a good PPI or H2 blocker?

Otherwise I'll try lowering to 500mg to see if that helps

Any PPI will work well (omeprazole, lansoprazole). Just watch your iron levels because it does cause iron deficiency in some individuals after prolonged use (although some guys don't mind their iron being a little on the lower side).

Just started my Metformin run. I will have to pay attention to see if I notice this.

Are you now just starting to notice it, or have you suffered from GERD ever since you first introduced Metformin?

No I have never had that side or any others for the most part. I always take 500mg about 10 mins before 2 meals per day (first meal and evening meal). I actually took it 3 times today for the first time. Interestingly and as mentioned in Rhino's Rhants I have started to notice it may be effecting my strength. I am dieting but still on plenty of carbs but my strength has lowered a lot.

Last edited:
Anything oral can cause it. I'm on 20mg omeprazole a day. It keeps it away, unless I run tren. Tren gives me the worst acid reflux and indigestion imaginable. I actually don't want to run tren ever again, problem is I got a ton of it and will probably end up using.

Any PPI will work well (omeprazole, lansoprazole). Just watch your iron levels because it does cause iron deficiency in some individuals after prolonged use (although some guys don't mind their iron being a little on the lower side).

I'm really glad you mentioned it could lower iron level because my ferritin is low as hell from blood donations so I'm trying to raise that but lower/stabilize hematocrit at the same time (very difficult)

I think I'll try dropping Metformin to 500mg and hopefully it goes away. Normally I wouldn't mind but I worry about long term impact on my esophagus

Just started my Metformin run. I will have to pay attention to see if I notice this.

Are you now just starting to notice it, or have you suffered from GERD ever since you first introduced Metformin?

To tell you the truth, I never really paid attention until I found out it is very bad for the esophagus, so now that I think about it, I do believe Ive always had it on Metformin I think

No I have never had that side or any others for the most part. I always take 500mg about 10 mins before 2 meals per day (first meal and evening meal). I actually took it 3 times today for the first time. Interestingly and as mentioned in Rhino's Rhants I have started to notice it may be effecting my strength. I am dieting but still on plenty of carbs but my strength has lowered a lot.

I can say it has had zero negative impact on my strength at all

Last edited:
Anything oral can cause it. I'm on 20mg omeprazole a day. It keeps it away, unless I run tren. Tren gives me the worst acid reflux and indigestion imaginable. I actually don't want to run tren ever again, problem is I got a ton of it and will probably end up using.

Well it's taken orally but it's not an oral steroid

Tren gives me horrible acid reflux as well....I make sure to be prepared with antacids.

I had really good metformin results on 250mg/day, so good I was going mildly hypo if I touched anything too sugary...

Metformin has been shown to alter our microbiome (gut bacteria). I would suspect that there may be an initial transition towards the onset of G.E.R.D with some individuals.

I would like to believe that a good quality synbiotics (pre/probiotics) may help alleviate this issue.

Worth a try?

Metformin has a tendency to give me gas but that's all so far...

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear