advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

are AAS drugs to watch in a 12 STEP RECOVERY program?

s.norman

Registered
ok whats the deal! are aas considered mind/mood altering (psychoactive) substances like meth, coke, crack, percocet, vicadin, alcohol, heroin?? i'm tired of my colleagues telling me that i'm using drugs and getting high....thats funny, i have never gotten high on aas! mind/mood altering to me is a drug that gives you a false mood and leaves you unable to drive properly..i can drive fine on aas and i don't get a false mood..the only 2 moods that are slightly enhanced is libido and i get a little short-fused from time to time. i asked about 10 pharmacists and they all said aas are not considered psychoactive drugs...there is a lot of info on the net that indicates aas are not mind/mood altering chemicals like narcotics..

what is your take on aas? do you consider them to be "get high" drugs?

You almost sound like a dope fiend in denial.

I really don't see it as a psychoactive drug at all. But regardless of what it is, why are you telling everyone you're using such a thing anyways? Especially people who are obviously against it? :confused:

You can get addicted to the point of needing help with almost any substance. Something does not need to be directly psychoactive to be habit forming. That surge of confidence and energy? Definitely potentially habit forming.

i don't have to tell anyone that i'm using aas..it is blatantly obvious-i'm 41 w/ 20in guns, 9% bf, 5'11" 260lbs..i feel like kicking ass in there...i find that all pschoaCTIVE drugs have 1 thing in common-you can't drive a car worth a lick!

i tell these people to call a pharmacy or research it on the net..they are so stupid its pathetic...aas may contribute to a little anger here and there and can make you very horny at times but neither instance is mind/mood altering.

i go to NA and if aas were mind/mood altering and got you high it would be every man's drug of choice...WOW! you cann get high! build serious muscle! and never get pulled over for swurving! and be horny all the time...
THE TRUTH: not 1 person out of tens of 1000's has walked into the rooms of narcotics anonymous for AAS usage...
i needed to vent and i am venting-i'm about to wring somebody's ignorant neck in there!

You can get addicted to the point of needing help with almost any substance. Something does not need to be directly psychoactive to be habit forming. That surge of confidence and energy? Definitely potentially habit forming.
you're allowed to smoke and drink caffeine in NA so its not a question of whats habit forming but of what is narcotic...
pharmacists are the experts and they deny that aas are pschoactive emphatically..

you're allowed to smoke and drink caffeine in NA so its not a question of whats habit forming but of what is narcotic...
pharmacists are the experts and they deny that aas are pschoactive emphatically..

I think pharmacologists are the drug experts, pharmacists are experts in componding and dispensing but they don't really have a deep understanding of drugs' effects on body and mind.

You can pick up a textbook on pharmacology (or download one using Emule or Bit Torrent) and you'll see that AAS have a section of their own quite separate from psychoactive substances and narcotics.

It isn't a matter of opinion it's a matter of fact: AAS aren't psychoactive, narcotic or physiologically addictive (though they can be "psychologically addictive" -- if such a thing actually exists).

Contrast alcohol and nicotine which ARE psychoactive AND physiologically addictive and are linked to many, many illnesses, deaths and in the case of alcohol crimes and violence. See

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/city-at-night-anarchy/2008/02/22/1203467387062.html

(Yet journalists haven't coined a cute phrase like "Alcohol Rage".)

If your friends think you are getting "high" on AAS then they are ignorant.

Sounds like those people need to call their sponsor. Bottom line, when you are taking hormones does your life become unmanageable? Is it at all like it was during your using? The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop using... not even an honest one. Some people have the belief that because your injecting something that you are going to go run out and get on a bender. Most of the myths of gear use is just fueled by bias media garbage.

I'm in AA, and a short answer is NO. The slightly longer answer is it's very easy to trade one addiction for another, it can be sex, BB, fishing, screwing one legged midgets, damn near anything. Just make sure you're keeping your focus on doing the steps as well as you possibly can.

I feel it's always a losing battle discussing AAS with someone that is not educated. The media has biased the subject to the point of no return.
I chose to keep my suppliment regiment private and just shoot back with a smart ass answer " like oh yeah, breakfast of champions" to anyone in the rooms that asks if I "do steroids"
Just my 2 cent

you can justify anything. it's up to you to decide if it's mind or mood altering. i'd venture to say this if you cant tell anyone in the program about it then your having to keep secrets and we know what secrets do.

Well..............

I'm pretty sure if your busted with aas then while on probation they will require you to complete a 12 step program, along with ua's just as if you had been busted with drugs, and were an addict. I don't think they fall in the same category as mind altering chemicals. They are just illegal....depending on where you live. :)

AAS aren't addictive in the same way as other mind altering substances. However, you have to remember that AAS are power. Power can be addictive in and of itsself

i don't have to tell anyone that i'm using aas..it is blatantly obvious-i'm 41 w/ 20in guns, 9% bf, 5'11" 260lbs..i feel like kicking ass in there...i find that all pschoaCTIVE drugs have 1 thing in common-you can't drive a car worth a lick!

i tell these people to call a pharmacy or research it on the net..they are so stupid its pathetic...aas may contribute to a little anger here and there and can make you very horny at times but neither instance is mind/mood altering.

i go to NA and if aas were mind/mood altering and got you high it would be every man's drug of choice...WOW! you cann get high! build serious muscle! and never get pulled over for swurving! and be horny all the time...
THE TRUTH: not 1 person out of tens of 1000's has walked into the rooms of narcotics anonymous for AAS usage...
i needed to vent and i am venting-i'm about to wring somebody's ignorant neck in there!
amen brother, preach it!

Im in the same boat and when it comes down to it, its really none of there business. I also have friends using aas in the program and if we have to talk about it, its only with each other. Been drug and alchol free 5yrs now and not once picked up becauce of aas.

ok bro this 12 step shit is about getting hooked up and helping people, everything else is just some meaningless bullshit. yaaaa :cool:

If I were you I would avoid talking about this with them. For one, they aren't medical experts. For two, the attitude in the rooms is that any drug is against the rules, and they can be stubborn/ignorant (often the same thing). For three, I'm sure you are familiar with what it's like having an addiction. Be aware, though, that all addictions don't have to be physical. They can be mental, too. Addiction and personality is funny... I think that it's easy for a recovering alcoholic to become mentally addicted to other things, as in sex, food, gambling, working out, etc. And I'm also sure that in the rooms you're learning how to deal with the mental game of addiction. You have to be able to say "no," and practice moderation. Are bouts of exercise and sex going to kill you? No. Is overeating everyday at mcd's, or spending 100 dollars a hand at blackjack or poker going to ruin your life? Yes. Think about channeling your unhealthy, addictive personality traits into positive things, bro, and don't let them change your life to the point that they interfere with normal life. That's the real definition of addiction, something you do that negatively effects your life that you keep doing, anyways. And, you might find another home group if you feel like "your cover is blown." Don't sweat it, move on. The important thing is that there isn't a physically addictive component to AAS, so it technically doesn't compromise your sobriety. Like I said, yeah, you might be using AAS, but people do all sorts of things that aren't healthy to one extent or another. I would think that AAS would be a better choice than overeating, banging skanks, or gambling, anyways. But don't stop banging skanks if you don't want, lol ;)

If I were you I would avoid talking about this with them. For one, they aren't medical experts. For two, the attitude in the rooms is that any drug is against the rules, and they can be stubborn/ignorant (often the same thing). For three, I'm sure you are familiar with what it's like having an addiction. Be aware, though, that all addictions don't have to be physical. They can be mental, too. Addiction and personality is funny... I think that it's easy for a recovering alcoholic to become mentally addicted to other things, as in sex, food, gambling, working out, etc. And I'm also sure that in the rooms you're learning how to deal with the mental game of addiction. You have to be able to say "no," and practice moderation. Are bouts of exercise and sex going to kill you? No. Is overeating everyday at mcd's, or spending 100 dollars a hand at blackjack or poker going to ruin your life? Yes. Think about channeling your unhealthy, addictive personality traits into positive things, bro, and don't let them change your life to the point that they interfere with normal life. That's the real definition of addiction, something you do that negatively effects your life that you keep doing, anyways. And, you might find another home group if you feel like "your cover is blown." Don't sweat it, move on. The important thing is that there isn't a physically addictive component to AAS, so it technically doesn't compromise your sobriety. Like I said, yeah, you might be using AAS, but people do all sorts of things that aren't healthy to one extent or another. I would think that AAS would be a better choice than overeating, banging skanks, or gambling, anyways. But don't stop banging skanks if you don't want, lol ;)
i think i'll keep banging skanks though..lol

i think i'll keep banging skanks though..lol

lol.
im in the rooms and i never discuss anything gym or fitness related with anyone there. but like others have said its easy to trade one addiction for another. one thing you should be aware of is that the steps are a guide for living life, i call it behavior modification. thats all. good luck to you and take it one day at a time

I think the people that change on AAS is because they see themselves gettin bigger and they feel like they can get away with more.

IMO It's a Personal Choice

I comes down to your own personal belief system. From my perspective it is not a mind altering substance. I'm clean & sober now 1.5 yrs. and using AAS. I believe it is on the same level as say plastic surgery, cosmetic dental work etc.. It is not for everyone but if it is somthing you choose to do it is really none of anyone elses business. But like anything if it becomes more important than your family, job ect... than it's time to take a look at it. Untill then keep growing!

Staff online

• A50#
    Old School Moderator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws