over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Are weight gainers a waste of money.

JSTJ704

Newbies
I was looking at the how many servings are in a tub like 18 serving for like for 35 bucks. At 3 times a day thats pricey. Is it really worth it? Should I just stay with a good whey 2 times aday and casien at bedtime?

I think they are yes-genreraly there not that good a calories and full of sugar.Cheaper to drink milk and at least thats natural. I find natuaral peanut butter a great cheap calorie boost. Ive made better progress since i cut out most the shakes. I eat 5 pork loins and 8 eggs a day foe about 200 gram of quality protein. bit of whey here and there-some tuna and makeral on top and results much better-lean gains. I have a scope of way in morning and after training thats about it.

I wouldnt say they are a waste of money however they are not all created equal and the makeup of the products depend on your goals. It also depends if you just want to gain weight or quality muscle mass.

I will be looking to gain quality muscle mass. I will me eating 5 or 6 small meals.

What can I add to my whey protein to make into a good weight gainer?

I put 4 ounces of oats in the blender with a scoop of protein powder. About 560 calories, 40 grams of protein, 80g carbs, and 11g fat. About USD$.65/serving. Quick cooking oats blend better. For more calories, add some flax seed oil, olive oil, peanut butter or almonds. Post workout, I add a tablespoon of honey.

Last edited:

Just add some carbs like ( mix oats, some fruit) and some healthy fats like (olive oil, coconut oil, flax seed oil, peanut butter, macademic oil).
Other thing what you can do to increase calories are:
instead of water use milk or yogurt,soy milk. The best is all of them :D

I wouldn't say weight gainers are a waist.
To get a quick 1000+ cals in on top of your meals it can be good.

I wouldn't replace meals with it though. Especially if your bulking up.

Meh, weight gainers are overpriced and underpowered. Weight gainers usually just put on fat on you because they're just whey concentrate with dextrose or maltodextrin. If you overwhelm your body with too much protein and sugar at one time, you'll overwhelm the metabolic processes that get those nutrients into muscle so your body will just take those calories and store them in fat cells. That's why slower proteins and carbs (think chicken with whole wheat pasta or lean beef with brown rice or cottage cheese before bed) are a staple in any bodybuilding diet.

If you insist on using a weight gainer, I suggest you do something like this:

- TrueProtein powder blend, something like 25% milk protein isolate, 25% egg white protein, 25% whole egg protein, 25% beef protein isolate

- Milk, preferably raw whole milk

- Frozen raspberries

- 1 banana

- Oats

- Cottage cheese

Mix it all together in a powerful blender and you just made yourself a very solid weight gainer shake. The oats are a great source of complex carbs and the dietary fiber from the oats and raspberries will hopefully slow digestion enough that you'll get a very steady release of the carbs found in the milk, raspberries, and banana. The cottage cheese, milk, and milk protein isolate are all great sources for casein protein, which will provide your body with continuous amino acids for at least 8 hours, probably longer. You'll get some whey from the milk and milk protein isolate. The egg protein and beef protein will provide you with a steady amino acid release for at least a few hours. This kind of homemade weight gainer shake will not overwhelm your body's metabolic pathways like the low quality stuff you buy at GNC.

In addition to a weight gainer shake, you should probably take a shot of cod liver oil before going to bed for the Omega 3s and the Vitamin D.

Just eat more

Find a well known brand company and you should be good to go...just my 2 cents. :)

Thanks for all the replys guys. I think weight gainer are over priced I think I will just make my own. :headbang:

Good decision

Please refer to the episode of South Park where Cartman drank the Weightgain 5000. :D

I rather drink a 24oz Starbucks carmel frappe. Same Cals, Same sugar and tastes a lot better.

Ive used them during my bulks with great success.

The key, as with any diet change... is to fit it into your macros.

So I dont use a whole serving... (for the brand I use its 4 scoops to equal 900 cals)

Ill use a scoop here and there added to one or a few of my regular meals.

I dont use them as a replacement for real food.

And I dont use them by themselves. Always with a meal.

Liquid calories are gold for those who dont gain easily. Such as myself.

I drink 3-4 a day with 3-4 solid meals a day

1/2 serving serious mass + 1 scoop whey + 1 scoop egg protein powder

950 calories or so 135 grams carbs 75 grams protein low fat

I have always utilized these heavily and it has worked pretty well for me. Alot of people here will tell you no eat solid food... truth be told do what works for YOU and YOUR schedule.

Alot of the less advanced guys are extremely opinionated against it for some reason (not meaning to be rude) some of the advanced guys are but anyone that flat out says no doesn't know what there talking about IMO.

They are handy for hard gainers trying too get those extra cals in, but yes it's just loaded with sugar, which isn't Gunna give u quality gains

I drink 3-4 a day with 3-4 solid meals a day

1/2 serving serious mass + 1 scoop whey + 1 scoop egg protein powder

950 calories or so 135 grams carbs 75 grams protein low fat

I have always utilized these heavily and it has worked pretty well for me. Alot of people here will tell you no eat solid food... truth be told do what works for YOU and YOUR schedule.

Alot of the less advanced guys are extremely opinionated against it for some reason (not meaning to be rude) some of the advanced guys are but anyone that flat out says no doesn't know what there talking about IMO.

I am going to agree. To make a blanket statement and say, NO! period, is very silly. There are some smart ways to use them and then they're some dumb ways to use them. Upon waking, and post workout is going to be the best time since your body needs a surge of simple and complex carbs and the same goes for post workout.

I dont think so. I use them in addition to my meals. I am a natural ectomorph, so I used cytosport cytogainer. 4 scoops mixed with 12oz whole milk. good for about 900 cals. 80 grams carbs. 60 grams protein. I drink one in the morning when I wake up and one at night before bed. I am naturally lean as shit, so i am not getting fat off it. but on the downside, i put on muscle slowly too:banghead:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rh8767
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity