over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

"Bodybuilding"

slesh

Registered
Curious what other synonyms you guys have used over the years for "bodybuilding" when having conversations with the average Joe. Like it or not the term has some negative connotations and/or preconceived notions in certain circles. When most people hear the term bodybuilding they think of a 300lb mass monster using steroids. Was having a conversation with my mother the other day and she had no clue how mainstream it's become; its no longer a subculture. For example I explained to her how there is the bikini division for females and some of them have more followers than Victoria Secret models. I guess I'm looking for other terms that still encompass the life but easier to digest for the ill informed.

I've never concerned myself over how others interpret bodybuilding. Most with a negative view probably don't work out and wouldn't have the commitment it takes to be a bodybuilder! Real commitment to exercise and diet isn't for most!!

I avoid the term bodybuilding as well, I just use 'fitness' when talking to people. Fitness is mostly perceived as something positive while bodybuilding is perceived as something negative/steroid-induced muscle gaining.

This is what I do. I am not a body builder, just a fit guy. To me a bodybuilder is someone who competes, it's a life style, an interest. I'm a fit guy who uses juice if anyone referred to me as a bodybuilder I would correct them lol.

This is what I do. I am not a body builder, just a fit guy. To me a bodybuilder is someone who competes, it's a life style, an interest. I'm a fit guy who uses juice if anyone referred to me as a bodybuilder I would correct them lol.
I wouldn't go that far. There are body builders and then there are competitive body builders.

You can be a body builder and never compete. It's really just semantics. I think if you are 6 foot tall and weigh a lean 240 lbs, you're probably a bodybuilder.

I'm a bodybuilder and not exactly fit tbh 😁

It's just that using the word 'bodybuilding' brings about so much negativity that I'd rather avoid it altogether in real life. I don't want to be talking to people about illegal substances in real life you see?

In essence I agree with Bio but I just can't bring myself to do it.

Heres a good read......

Most Steroid Users Are Not Athletes​

Survey Shows Typical User Isn't Motivated by Sports Performance

By Jennifer Warner
Medically Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD on October 11, 2007
FROM THE WEBMD ARCHIVES
Oct. 12, 2007 -- Contrary to popular belief, the typical anabolic steroid user is more like an "Average Joe" than a professional athlete or competitive teenager.
A new survey suggests that the typical anabolic-androgenic steroid (AAS) user is a well-educated 30-year-old male who wants to build muscles and strength and increase his physical attractiveness. Researchers say the results show the notion of the typical steroid user as a "cheating" athlete is inaccurate.
"These findings question commonly held views of typical AAS users and their underlying motivations," Rick Collins of Collins, McDonald & Gann, PC, in Carle Place, N.Y., says in a news release.
"The vast majority of AAS users are not athletes and hence, are not likely to view themselves as cheaters. The targeting of athletes through drug testing and other adolescent or sports-based interventions has no bearing on non-competitive adult users."

Typical Anabolic Steroid User Is Atypical​

In the study, published in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, researchers surveyed nearly 2,000 men about anabolic steroid use via the Internet. Researchers say they used the Internet in order to encourage men to participate by allowing them to remain anonymous.
The results showed that the average male anabolic steroid user is:

• About 30 years old
  • Well-educated
  • Earns an above-average income in a white-collar job
In addition, the survey shows that most did not start using steroids in adolescence, nor are they motivated by athletic competition or sports performance.
Instead, the typical anabolic steroid user wants to increase muscle mass, strength, and physical attractiveness. Other motivating factors for taking anabolic steroids were increasing confidence, decreasing body fat, improving mood, and attracting a sexual partner.

Researchers found that men in this survey followed carefully planned drug regimens along with a healthy diet and exercise practices designed to maximize benefits and minimize harm.
"The users we surveyed consider that they are using directed drug technology as one part of a strategy for physical self-improvement within a health-centered lifestyle," says Collins. "Effective public policy should begin by accurately identifying who's using steroids and why."

I'm a bodybuilder and not exactly fit tbh 😁

It's just that using the word 'bodybuilding' brings about so much negativity that I'd rather avoid it altogether in real life. I don't want to be talking to people about illegal substances in real life you see?

In essence I agree with Bio but I just can't bring myself to do it.
I agree with the negative perception of the word, it makes it sound as if you have bottles of supplements around, You have chicken breasts in the fridge (well this i actually do have), you eat on a schedule, and your OCD. I guess it depends if you view yourself as a bodybuilder. Even if I was 240 at 6 percent I'd still view myself as a guy who likes fitness what uses bodybuilding knowledge to achieve my look.

I guess a good test would be , when you hear someone say Jay Cutler do you think of a bodybuilder or football player? For me it's the former bears quarterback lol.

I wouldn't go that far. There are body builders and then there are competitive body builders.

You can be a body builder and never compete. It's really just semantics. I think if you are 6 foot tall and weigh a lean 240 lbs, you're probably a bodybuilder.
I am 6’1 and I weight 220 lbs shredded. I am more bodybuilder then a lot of bigger guys as I have compete in a few shows when those guys never did. Weight means nothing attitude mean everything.

Heres a good read......

Most Steroid Users Are Not Athletes​

Survey Shows Typical User Isn't Motivated by Sports Performance

By Jennifer Warner
Medically Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD on October 11, 2007
FROM THE WEBMD ARCHIVES
Oct. 12, 2007 -- Contrary to popular belief, the typical anabolic steroid user is more like an "Average Joe" than a professional athlete or competitive teenager.
A new survey suggests that the typical anabolic-androgenic steroid (AAS) user is a well-educated 30-year-old male who wants to build muscles and strength and increase his physical attractiveness. Researchers say the results show the notion of the typical steroid user as a "cheating" athlete is inaccurate.
"These findings question commonly held views of typical AAS users and their underlying motivations," Rick Collins of Collins, McDonald & Gann, PC, in Carle Place, N.Y., says in a news release.
"The vast majority of AAS users are not athletes and hence, are not likely to view themselves as cheaters. The targeting of athletes through drug testing and other adolescent or sports-based interventions has no bearing on non-competitive adult users."

Typical Anabolic Steroid User Is Atypical​

In the study, published in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, researchers surveyed nearly 2,000 men about anabolic steroid use via the Internet. Researchers say they used the Internet in order to encourage men to participate by allowing them to remain anonymous.
The results showed that the average male anabolic steroid user is:

• About 30 years old
  • Well-educated
  • Earns an above-average income in a white-collar job
In addition, the survey shows that most did not start using steroids in adolescence, nor are they motivated by athletic competition or sports performance.
Instead, the typical anabolic steroid user wants to increase muscle mass, strength, and physical attractiveness. Other motivating factors for taking anabolic steroids were increasing confidence, decreasing body fat, improving mood, and attracting a sexual partner.

Researchers found that men in this survey followed carefully planned drug regimens along with a healthy diet and exercise practices designed to maximize benefits and minimize harm.
"The users we surveyed consider that they are using directed drug technology as one part of a strategy for physical self-improvement within a health-centered lifestyle," says Collins. "Effective public policy should begin by accurately identifying who's using steroids and why."
Pretty much agree with this. An athlete is someone who competes in a sport that requires skill and movement imo.

Baseball football golf powerlifting swimming

I do not consider bodybuilding or nascar sports because they don't require both skill and movement

Bodybuilding requires more time and dedication than a sport, but is not one. I consider it a hobby, career for some.

What kind of crack do you have to be smoking to claim bikini is bodybuilding?
Like it or not bikini competitors are bodybuilders. Just because you don’t compete in “open bodybuilding” shows doesn’t take away from the fact that all of us here are “bodybuilders”. We spend half our lives building up our bodies for a certain type of aesthetic. Don’t matter if it’s men’s physique style bodies or open style bodies. Same goes for women.

I am 6’1 and I weight 220 lbs shredded. I am more bodybuilder then a lot of bigger guys as I have compete in a few shows when those guys never did. Weight means nothing attitude mean everything.
True to a point, but would you call a 6 foot 1 inch 170 lb man a bodybuilder? If he is, he's really bad at it or has terrible genes.

Like it or not bikini competitors are bodybuilders. Just because you don’t compete in “open bodybuilding” shows doesn’t take away from the fact that all of us here are “bodybuilders”. We spend half our lives building up our bodies for a certain type of aesthetic. Don’t matter if it’s men’s physique style bodies or open style bodies. Same goes for women.
Not remotely true. You're not a bodybuilder imo unless you compete in real bodybuilding or aspire to. Women's physique is debatable, classic is debatable....nothing else is.

I was never 300 pounds and was often asked if i was a bodybuilder. If people want to look down on that term, i think that is great. It sets the bar low as to what they expect of me. Which allows me to make it over much easier.

In my younger days I would deny using the juice, now, can’t be bothered to give a shit. Had a woman at work (fat) tell me that guys have it soooo easy because we can take gear. I said sure it makes it EASIER, but doesnt do anything by itself. Told her I’ve got many bottles of gear at my house and not once has any of them cooked my meals, force fed them to me, or done my workouts so I didn’t have to. I’M STILL DOING THE FUCKING WORK

It was nice to see the wave of understanding wash over her chubby face

Not remotely true. You're not a bodybuilder imo unless you compete in real bodybuilding or aspire to. Women's physique is debatable, classic is debatable....nothing else is.
I am really sorry but classic bodybuilding is bodybuilding. You have at Diamond cup. Look at world champion ifbb classic bodybuilding and tell me it is debatable.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rh8767
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws